Hiroshima 70 years on.

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Hiroshima 70 years on. Empty Hiroshima 70 years on.

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 1:08 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-33754931

The morality of what happened at Hiroshima and Nagasaki has always troubled me. My grandfather who I never knew, suffered terribly at the hands of the Japanese in Burma, and I made a point of doing a bit of research into how cruel and degrading conditions were in that part of war.

WWII was a conflict that hopefully will never be surpassed in it's brutality and cruelty.

However the allies were responsible for some of the worst atrocities in the entire conflict.

The destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki whilst absolutley monstrous probably saved lives, however the morality still doesn't sit right with me.

‘ It is not enough that corruption is recognized, it must be opposed. It is not enough that ignorance is acknowledged. It must be defied. Win or lose, what matters is making a stand for the virtues we will bequeath to the human race in generations to come. When this war was finally "won", the Allies held a worthless prize since on the last day, on the last action, they led humanity into moral darkness. ’ - Hiroshima Survivor

Discuss....
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Hiroshima 70 years on. Empty Re: Hiroshima 70 years on.

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 1:47 pm

Never asked for Pearl Harbor to be destroyed..

We didn't use their soldiers for bayonet practice.

We told them unconditional surrender or nothing.  They wanted conditions...They were warned !!.

The bombs shortened the war and saved allies lives.

I would do it all again.  We lost great Uncle Stan in ww2.

Sorry no time for the Japanese....

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 1:52 pm

The Yanks are the biggest terrorists in history, no question.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 1:54 pm

Poor windup mate

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 1:55 pm

What other terrorist organisation has executed a plan with the same effect on civilian life in such a short space of time?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 1:58 pm

Whatever..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 2:04 pm

Scottrf wrote:What other terrorist organisation has executed a plan with the same effect on civilian life in such a short space of time?

Dresden bombings?

Purposely targeted despite being of little military significance.

Loss of life not on the same scale, of course.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 2:05 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Never asked for Pearl Harbor to be destroyed..

We told them unconditional surrender or nothing.  They wanted conditions...They were warned !!.

The bombs shortened the war and saved allies lives.

I would do it all again.  We lost great Uncle Stan in ww2.

Sorry no time for the Japanese....

Wow.... picard

You have a pretty hard neck calling other people wind ups.

Never asked for Pearl Harbor to be destroyed..
Pearl Harbour was a military strategic Target.

I'm fairly sure the children of Hiroshima didn't even know what a bayonet is, no matter what atrocities were carried out by the Japanese military it's pretty hard to condone the atomic bombing of a civilian target.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 3:12 pm

Only recently I read something about how one of the cities wasnt even the original target but due to cloud cover over one of the cities, the targets was changed to a different city.

Will see if I can find the details.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 3:51 pm

Just for any one who isn't stupid...

2,400 people died at Pearl Harbor. 3,000+ died in the Twin Towers...

I'd have been less proud of my country If it didn't go after the people responsible...

F**K em..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 3:59 pm

What does 9/11 have to do with anything?

Just for the record the civilian casualties in both of the attacks you just mentioned when compared to the civilian casualties associated with Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

Finally consider yourself reported for personal insults thumbsup
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 3:59 pm

A rare occasion when I would be inclined to agree with Truss. The Japanese leadership during WW2 has to be blamed at least in part for how events unfolded. No country (that has the capability to retaliate) would choose not to do so after a largely unprovoked attack killed thousands of their soldiers/citizens.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulHv2 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 4:03 pm

Debate the point not the poster, personal insults aren't tolerated as you know.
PaulHv2
PaulHv2
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 4:08 pm

Adam D wrote:Only recently I read something about how one of the cities wasnt even the original target but due to cloud cover over one of the cities, the targets was changed to a different city.

Will see if I can find the details.

The people were told to get out of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.....The japanese hierachy were told to surrender...they wouldn't without conditions..

You blow up Pearl harbor on the sly and you don't get conditions..

Biggest regret is we didn't nail scumbag Hirohito......

We ended the war early and saved plenty of good western lives.....

Will say though I think we were shocked just how potent the bombs were..........Not sure Harry S drops two If he'd known the devastating impact...

Ain't life a bitch !!!....Anyway we bankrolled your Welfare state and NHS so you did pretty well out of it !!

Go away with your red pen.....How would you like it If people called your Country a bunch of terrorists..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 4:11 pm

PaulHv2 wrote:Debate the point not the poster, personal insults aren't tolerated as you know.

When I'm taking s**t ...You don't seem to mind..

But hey I'll not get depressed about it.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulHv2 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 4:12 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
PaulHv2 wrote:Debate the point not the poster, personal insults aren't tolerated as you know.

I've never seen anyone talk to you the way you did to the OP mate thumbsup
PaulHv2
PaulHv2
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 4:17 pm

PaulHv2 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

I've never seen anyone talk to you the way you did to the OP mate thumbsup

Not a problem... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 4:47 pm

Firstly I don’t think the deliberate nuking of a civilian population is justifiable no matter what provocation. It’s hard to hold the moral high ground when you kill 140000 people in one attack.

Secondly I don’t think dropping a second bomb was necessary at all. Once accurate reports came in about what happened at Hiroshima and the enormity of events reached the commanders surrender would have been inevitable. It’s worth keeping in mind that Japan was basically a ruin. The US had already destroyed all the meaningful communication services throughout the country via a sustained carpet bombing campaign, communication would have been difficult if not impossible. The magnitude of what happened at Hiroshima probably wouldn’t have been known to those in power.

That second one was purely to scare Stalin. Vaporizing a city as a bargaining chip is quite unbecoming for “The Greatest Country in the world”.

Finally I love the US. I have spent a lot of time there and most of the people I have met there are wonderful people.

This isn't just a dig at the US either. The UK carpet bombed areas of Germany for what could only be described as revenge attacks. Just because the Allies won, it doesn't excuse the indiscriminate killing of non combatants. The Atom bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki are just the most obvious examples of this.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 4:57 pm

Harry S Truman to Churchill - "You don't get on with Stalin...He likes me better and I like that !!..

Sorry mate the cold war started a a few years after the bombs in Japan....

Churchill in 48 warned Truman about an iron curtain !!!....

You're good at reinventing history....

Allied troops were dying of starvation and being used as bayonet practice in Japanese camps. America wanted to end the war....we did.

We told them to surrender...we didn't ask them to bomb Pearl harbor..

End of story................I imagine you're just another Yank hater..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 5:11 pm

Look buddy...You seem to think we were at war with Japan when Pearl harbor occurred....You have no idea of the atrocities committed on allied troops at Japanese hands....You have no idea about the cold war...

I think I'll move on...Cheers !! thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 5:26 pm

I'm not a Yank hater. Furthermore I'm not singling the US out for blame. Had the UK had an atomic bomb I'm fairly certain we would have used one on Nazi Germany, again that doesn't make it right.

Even against the background of the holocaust I would be struggling to justify dropping the atom bomb on Nazi Germany either.

I simply cannot see the justification of killing so many innocent people.

Pearl Harbour was a despicable low blow. But using that to justify dropping 2 atom bombs?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 7:50 pm

There was no need for the two atom bombs. It was Americas way of showing the world that "this is what you get when you mess with us and let everyone else remember this as well"

I don't like the way the British Empire treated other nations especially in Africa but that doesn't mean my ancestors minding their own business back in south Wales during deserved to get wiped out

Very bad act of inhumanity that went way beyond the necessary requirements of war

Would never happen again anyway thankfully. Even the UN would't sanction such an act of innocent mass murder

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 10:00 pm

How dare you say that it was America flexing their muscle.

Truman thought long and hard about what he was doing. He came to the conclusion that it would save ALLIED lives and shorten the war. It wasn't just Americans fighting the Japanese..

Think before you write...

I stated before that the cold war started in 48 ...Truman's policy of containment started in 1947. My bad.

Too many ignorant people who aren't qualified to give an opinion on this thread.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 10:11 pm

Why do you have the insolence to believe your point is so much better than anyone else's? Can you not argue a point?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 10:18 pm

Because I know my history....I can assure you that contrary to opinion on this thread...

We weren't at war with Japan when Pearl Harbor was decimated..

That the Japanese weren't all peachy guys...

The cold war didn't start in 1945...

That rather than thinking it would be fun to destroy part of Japan...Truman and his team of advisors thought long and hard of the consequences. .

You guys should read up before making ignorant statements.

There you go.. Cool Cool Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 10:23 pm

It's a touchy subject this one for all involved as some Americans think they were right, some wrong and obviously it's something that'd discussed by other countries.

It's really hard to try and justify the dropping of TWO bombs but then I didn't have to make that decision and it did stop the war at the end of the day.

Check out http://www.debate.org/opinions/was-the-bombing-of-hiroshima-and-nagasaki-justified for other opinions on it (stands at 50/50 at the minute showing how decisive the decision was)

Truss, try not to take it too personally when someone doesn't agree with you on things like this and discuss the point without trying to insult people. You've got some good points to make and as such probably have a better insight than most on here, it ruins it sometimes though when you go off on one.

Note:Hadn't realised the attack on Pearl Harbour had been designated as a war crime

Last edited by Derbymanc on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 10:27 pm

All well and good, Truss, but if someone believes that:

"A very bad act of inhumanity that went way beyond the necessary requirements of war"
"However the allies were responsible for some of the worst atrocities in the entire conflict."
"It’s hard to hold the moral high ground when you kill 140000 people in one attack."

It doesn't make them 'ignorant people who aren't qualified to give an opinion on this thread.'

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 10:36 pm

Jog on Derby

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 10:44 pm

This is a difficult question, like many acts of war the question will always be does the end justify the means, which is by its very definition a question of perspective. My own take is Japan was not going to surrender, certainly not in the unconditional sense the Allies and America were demanding, just not in their psyche. As such you have two choices at that point, an act such as Hiroshima/Nagasaki that makes them appreciate the need to surrender or you continue the war at god only knows how much further loss of life and cost. Of the two I prefer the former option.

As those who know me on here will know I am by nature a fairly liberal guy and am by no means some NRA, blown them off the face of the earth time, but do think there is a risk of imposing 21st liberal sensibilities into situations like the second world war, because those wars create situations we can barely imagine, those situations sometimes call for responses we cannot imagine. Don't like the bombing of Hiroshima any more than I like the carpet bombing approach of Bomber Harris but I agree with both of them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 10:50 pm

Rowley wrote:This is a difficult question, like many acts of war the question will always be does the end justify the means, which is by its very definition a question of perspective. My own take is Japan was not going to surrender, certainly not in the unconditional sense the Allies and America were demanding, just not in their psyche. As such you have two choices at that point, an act such as Hiroshima/Nagasaki that makes them appreciate the need to surrender or you continue the war at god only knows how much further loss of life and cost. Of the two I prefer the former option.

As those who know me on here will know I am by nature a fairly liberal guy and am by no means some NRA, blown them off the face of the earth time, but do think there is a risk of imposing 21st liberal sensibilities into situations like the second world war, because those wars create situations we can barely imagine, those situations sometimes call for responses we cannot imagine. Don't like the bombing of Hiroshima any more than I like the carpet bombing  approach of Bomber Harris but I agree with both of them.

Great post....I think there is a wrongful assumption that it was just American troops involved against Japan..

First rule of any Government is to protect it's own people. That is where I am at.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 11:00 pm

Jog on Truss

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 11:01 pm

First rule of any Government is to protect it's own people. That is where I am at.

And you can stay there.

America INVADED and murdered the people of Panama on the death of 1 American. That was thier justification for invading another nation, killing and putting survivors into CONCENTRATION CAMPS.

Face it America is a warring nation with a war based economy but just like the similar civilizations of the past it will fall and fall heavy.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 11:03 pm

Well at least we know you take everything personal.

Think that's a problem with everything these days Rowley, we have a tendency to look at everything with the full knowledge we have now instead of seeing it from the viewpoint of the day. (We seem to have become overly sensitive to everything)

As I stated, personally for me it's the dropping of 2 bombs that causes more discomfort, surely with something of that power it should have taken the 1 and an implied threat to stop Japan in their tracks.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 11:10 pm

I'm sorry but using nuclear weapons on civilians is no less evil than the national socialism or Imperialist aggression the allies were fighting against.

As I said the US are far from the only members of the allies to have committed atrocities. The UK's carpet bombing of Dresden, a German city of pretty much no strategic value is unforgivable too.

World war 2 set a precedent of man's inhumanity to man. However to believe that the USA are a paragon of justice and good especially through the prism of world war 2 is naive to say the least.

The decision to drop the bomb must have been a hard one to make,  however Japan in August 1945 were a threat to noone. Their industrial centres were smashed,  their oil reserves exhausted and they were hammered back to their homeland on all fronts.

Nuking them served no purpose,  unless vengeance is what the US was after. Your repeated citing of pearl harbour and Japanese atrocities seems to suggest that the destruction of these cities and the deaths of thousands of innocent people in some way was justice?

As Ghandi said when he was fighting British imperialism :

"An eye for an eye makes the world blind."

Finally do not presume that because I disagree with you that I don't know anything about history. It is because of US intervention in both of the world wars that the UK was able to fight of German imperialism and national socialism. However that cannot and will not exempt the US from criticism.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER on Fri 07 Aug 2015, 11:28 am

People here are scared to admit the real reason they dropped the bomb.

Its the reason they never dropped it on the Germans.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Fri 07 Aug 2015, 11:37 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:People here are scared to admit the real reason they dropped the bomb.

Its the reason they never dropped it on the Germans.

I presume you will enlighten us? I would have presumed that had Nazi Germany still been fighting in August 1945 they might have got nuked too.

I would have said the only thing that would have stopped Truman nuking Germany would have been fear of Soviet collateral damage.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Fri 07 Aug 2015, 11:40 am

With regard to the carpet bombing of German cities, whilst I concede some of them like Dresden were of little military or industrial importance the idea the bombing had no rationale underpinning it is a little unfair. Prior to the bombing, the loss of their soldiers aside the war had minimal impact on the day to day lives of German citizens. Their suffering and inconvenience was certainly not on a par with the British citizens or those in the occupied territories. As such the bombing was important in two respects, firstly in bringing the realities of the war to bear on ordinary German citizens, thus undermining support for the war, and by dint the Nazi regime. Secondly it was a huge boost for morale for the citizens of the Allied countries and the occupied countries in making them realise that their German counterparts were suffering in the same way we were.

Whilst I disagree with Harris’ position that the carpet bombing could have won the war on its own I don’t agree with the seemingly popular current positions that the bombing was unnecessary and brutal for little to no reason, it was a key component in the winning of the war.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Fri 07 Aug 2015, 11:56 am

Dresden was bombed in February of 1945, and ask yourself how many Luftwaffe Aeroplanes were scrambled to defend the city? None. The civilians on the ground had no way to defend themselves. The Zealots in charge didn't have the sense to know they were already beaten. However, just beacause you can bomb a city with impunity, doesn't give you the right to. The bombing of Dresden was purely an act of vindictiveness. Accounts from Dresden suggested that Mustangs, Spitfires and Hurricanes strafed civilians who were fleeing for their lives.

"part of the American Mustang-fighter escort was ordered to strafe traffic on the roads around Dresden to increase the chaos and disruption to the important transportation network in the region"

Like I said, those who suffered in Coventry and London especially during the blitz would have had to put up with immense pressure, fear and alarm.

However carpet bombing a city like Dresden for no military purpose was another monstrous act.

The UK in real terms failed it's objectives in World War 2.

We entered the war to protect Polish Sovereignty, not fight Nazism. The Fall of the Third Reich although welcome, was a Pyrrhic victory since we left Poland in the hands of Stalin.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Fri 07 Aug 2015, 12:37 pm

Think describing the defeat and complete dismantling of the regime responsible for the holocaust as a Pyrrhic victory is a little harsh to be honest. Whatever objective we went into the war with, we were very much on the right side and should not lose sight of this. Should also add the war is not fought from the comfort of 70 years in advance with the comfort of hindsight. Decisions made are made in real time, under some of the most stressful circumstances imaginable where those decisions almost without exception will result in the deaths of countless people. Under such circumstances anyone who assumes the odd bad decision will not be made or cannot be picked apart with the benefit of hindsight is naive at best. For me anything that has the potential to bring about the removal of the nazi regime and the closure of the concentration camps is arguably justifiable.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Fri 07 Aug 2015, 1:30 pm

I'm with Rugger.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Fri 07 Aug 2015, 1:46 pm

Rowley wrote:Think describing the defeat and complete dismantling of the regime responsible for the holocaust as a Pyrrhic victory is a little harsh to be honest. Whatever objective we went into the war with, we were very much on the right side and should not lose sight of this. Should also add the war is not fought from the comfort of 70 years in advance with the comfort of hindsight. Decisions made are made in real time, under some of the most stressful circumstances imaginable where those decisions almost without exception will result in the deaths of countless people. Under such circumstances anyone who assumes the odd bad decision will not be made or cannot be picked apart with the benefit of hindsight is naive at best. For me anything that has the potential to bring about the removal of the nazi regime and the closure of the concentration camps is arguably justifiable.

The right side can't have men like Stalin on it.

The allies were potentially aware of what was going on in terms of the Holocaust but didn't do much to prevent it.

Nazi Germany was an evil that will probably and hopefully never be surpassed. However the actions of the Allies cannot be deemed as good/right just because we won. Equally hundreds of thousands of Japanese, German and other axis powers probably wanted nothing to do with the war and equally their deaths cannot be casually dismissed because of what country they happened to live in to counter Trussman the children of Hiroshima didn't use anyone for bayonet practice in concentration camps nor were able to fly a complex aircraft to bomb Pearl Harbour.

Put simply, "we" the Allied forces should have been better than beating whipped dogs.

Dresden, Tokyo, Hiroshima and Nagasaki were vindictive blows against countries that were already beaten, even if their deluded leaders couldn't accept the reality of the situation on the ground. At the timing of these bombings the German army was a shambolic rout (Berlin aside since this became a grim last stand) and the Japanese in desperation to protect their homeland had resorted to the Kamikaze.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 11:49 am

This is actually quite laughable. Kudos to Rowley for the sensible posts. We have NO idea what was going on then and NO idea what it's like to have gone through WW2.

RuggerRadge/Steffan - you're looking back through the rose-tinted glasses of history and you can't put today's morals onto the decisions of 70 years ago after 6 years of total war. Sorry, you're naive and wrong. If you'd grown up in the 20s/30s/40s or have actually been fighting then, you'd undoubtedly have sanctioned all that you're now rather simply condemning. You miss the trick of saying we should learn from what happened and do things differently going forward but you're too caught up in your own self-righteousness to think of that.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 12:54 pm

Think you guys need to settle down a bit. You've all got good points. I'd think less of anyone who thinks the killing of 60 and 70 000 non combatants at a time as anything less than horrific and I've also got sympathy with the view that it looked like there was no end in sight and it may have saved lives in the long run. I'm mostly like radge I think they were unnecessary and they'd have won the war without it but that's a decision i've made sitting at work with a sandwich at hand while reviewing history articles. If someone had given me the option of nuking berlin on the first day of the war knowing what I know now I think I'd take it knowing how many millions died. In the same vein the people who decided to nuke the japanese had living through the times where millions had died and despite having the upper hand it would cost a lot more grinding down the japanese so made the decision with that in mind. So debate whether or not it was necessary, discuss what you think would have been better but don't judge people for decisions made under conditions that aren't really suitable conditions to make decisions in.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 6:32 pm

Stalin wasn't on any side till Germany invaded them.

You know so little about history it's laughable.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 6:35 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:This is actually quite laughable. Kudos to Rowley for the sensible posts. We have NO idea what was going on then and NO idea what it's like to have gone through WW2.

RuggerRadge/Steffan - you're looking back through the rose-tinted glasses of history and you can't put today's morals onto the decisions of 70 years ago after 6 years of total war. Sorry, you're naive and wrong. If you'd grown up in the 20s/30s/40s or have actually been fighting then, you'd undoubtedly have sanctioned all that you're now rather simply condemning. You miss the trick of saying we should learn from what happened and do things differently going forward but you're too caught up in your own self-righteousness to think of that.

I don't mind them being against it...If they actually knew anything about the subject....

They haven't a clue ...

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 6:45 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Well at least we know you take everything personal.

Think that's a problem with everything these days Rowley, we have a tendency to look at everything with the full knowledge we have now instead of seeing it from the viewpoint of the day. (We seem to have become overly sensitive to everything)

As I stated, personally for me it's the dropping of 2 bombs that causes more discomfort, surely with something of that power it should have taken the 1 and an implied threat to stop Japan in their tracks.

We didn't know how powerful they were did we ??

Why don't you read about it..

Don't take anything personally...Just don't suffer fools gladly..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 7:40 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Stalin wasn't on any side till Germany invaded them.

You know so little about history it's laughable.

Err...Stalin invaded Poland as well. A week, perhaps two, after Germany did.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 7:56 pm

I'm talking about WW2....Not the pact Russia had with Germany to split up Poland and other Eastern Countries...

Russia fought Germany, Japan and Italy from 41-45..

The enemy of my enemy is my friend..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 7:58 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm talking about WW2....Not the pact Russia had with Germany to split up Poland and other Eastern Countries...

Russia fought Germany, Japan and Italy from 41-45..

The enemy of my enemy is my friend..

Um...so was I. The Soviet Union invasion of Poland in September 1939.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 8:06 pm

Churchill didn't declare war on Russia...

Stalin wouldn't join with Hitler in WW2 because he didn't think he'd win..

Will you be told..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum