The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Chunky Norwich on Tue 11 Aug 2015, 7:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

Come on bois.

Chunky Norwich

Posts : 4409
Join date : 2011-12-08
Location : Location: Location:

Back to top Go down


Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Chunky Norwich on Sat 05 Dec 2015, 8:45 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I would assume the new will break on Tnewsday this week, or not.  Honestly I haven't got a clue sadly

We may need a bit more patience than that as regards Scott.

Chunky Norwich

Posts : 4409
Join date : 2011-12-08
Location : Location: Location:

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by VinceWLB on Sun 06 Dec 2015, 9:16 am

Given Scott Williams is sidelined until the end of the season, not many teams will give him an offer and maybe Scarlets can get him on a "normal" contract?

VinceWLB

Posts : 3462
Join date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Seagultaf on Sun 06 Dec 2015, 9:46 am

Rumours going around that Scott's NDC offer has been withdrawn as the money pot is close to being empty! I suspect provision will have been made for a few key players: Alan Wyn, Faletau, Webb? I suspect I am not alone in looking at some of the NDC players such as: Rhodri Jones, Tyler Morgan, King, Anscombe? And wondering why they qualify and players such as Scott, Ken Owens, Liam etc do not?

Seagultaf

Posts : 1336
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ospreylia

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by mikey_dragon on Sun 06 Dec 2015, 6:06 pm

I see Allen is still a very explosive carrier. You do wonder what he has to do to get more game time for a team at this level because we don't have many No.8's with his style of play.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Cardiff Dave on Sun 06 Dec 2015, 7:25 pm

Been reading twitter. Halfpenny to the Terks, anybody?

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 5984
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by mikey_dragon on Sun 06 Dec 2015, 7:48 pm

They need a kicker. But who would get priority over the 15 shirt?

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Cardiff Dave on Sun 06 Dec 2015, 8:06 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:They need a kicker. But who would get priority over the 15 shirt?

Bung 1/2p on the wing?

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 5984
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by mikey_dragon on Sun 06 Dec 2015, 11:06 pm

Could do. But unfair on DTH and Tagi who think are both good options. So do Scarlets really have their eyes on both Patch and Fullpenny? That would be some back line mind.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by VinceWLB on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 8:41 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Could do. But unfair on DTH and Tagi who think are both good options. So do Scarlets really have their eyes on both Patch and Fullpenny? That would be some back line mind.

One would think they would have to secure Scott Williams first.

VinceWLB

Posts : 3462
Join date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 9:38 am

mikey_dragon wrote:I see Allen is still a very explosive carrier. You do wonder what he has to do to get more game time for a team at this level because we don't have many No.8's with his style of play.

Staying of the medics table would be the answer. He is ever so slightly injury prone.

ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9423
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 32
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 9:41 am

IF Halfpenny joined, then I would assume we would field a back three of DTH, Halfpenny and Sanjay as first choice, then we would have Halfpenny and Williams shifting between wing and fullback as the game progresses (a bit like Henry's 3 fullback system). Also with regards Tagi, if I remember correctly he was signed as part of a miss understanding (our folks got Mikey and Saliosi mixed up), so I would not be surprised if he did end up leaving end of the season (even though he is improving).


ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9423
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 32
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Chunky Norwich on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 9:45 am

WRU offer Scott Williams dual contract.
Ospreys bid for him with a higher % than the dual contract offer.
WRU withdraw dual contract.

Cheers Ospreys.

Chunky Norwich

Posts : 4409
Join date : 2011-12-08
Location : Location: Location:

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 9:47 am

Chunky Norwich wrote:WRU offer Scott Williams dual contract.
Ospreys bid for him with a higher % than the dual contract offer.
WRU withdraw dual contract.

Cheers Ospreys.

Maybe we should return the favour with AWJ or Webb?

ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9423
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 32
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 9:47 am

Chunky Norwich wrote:WRU offer Scott Williams dual contract.
Ospreys bid for him with a higher % than the dual contract offer.
WRU withdraw dual contract.

Cheers Ospreys.

Yep, Gatland and co. are not a very happy bunch:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wru-withdraw-scott-williams-dual-10558664

LordDowlais

Posts : 10134
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 39
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Chunky Norwich on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 9:48 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:WRU offer Scott Williams dual contract.
Ospreys bid for him with a higher % than the dual contract offer.
WRU withdraw dual contract.

Cheers Ospreys.

Maybe we should return the favour with AWJ or Webb?

It just shows how the dual contract system does not work in a rugby nation like Wales. It causes chaos. And now Scott could be off to France because of it. But it's ok James King will be staying in Wales. Hooray.

Chunky Norwich

Posts : 4409
Join date : 2011-12-08
Location : Location: Location:

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by VinceWLB on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 9:52 am

The derbies should be fun then.

Welsh Rugby in a nutshell...

VinceWLB

Posts : 3462
Join date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 10:18 am

I was thinking, to be honest if Scott wants to stay in Wales, the Ospreys would be a poor choice, unless he fancies a season playing in the Challenge Cup.

ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9423
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 32
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Chunky Norwich on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 10:19 am

He won't go to the Ospreys. The whole system is a shambles, as per usual in Wales.

Chunky Norwich

Posts : 4409
Join date : 2011-12-08
Location : Location: Location:

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by VinceWLB on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 10:25 am

Thinking of it, this would have been a great April fool joke.

What the Ospreys did is pathetic but how were they aware of how much the DC offer was in the 1st place? This shouldn't have leaked.

VinceWLB

Posts : 3462
Join date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 10:30 am

VinceWLB wrote:Thinking of it, this would have been a great April fool joke.

What the Ospreys did is pathetic but how were they aware of how much the DC offer was in the 1st place? This shouldn't have leaked.

I have a feeling an agent was trying to get as much as possible out of the NDC, and looks like they have now screwed their client completely. I can not see how either the Ospreys or the Scarlets can offer competitive wages without he 60% of the unions money, so it will be either take a pay cut of move outside of Wales and put his international careers at risk.

Also, whilst I am really wound up that this has been able to happen, especially seeing as the whole RSA was meant to be about the regions working together etc, I can't help but think there is a little bit of karma at work here with us looking to poach Patchell from the Blues. I appreciate that these are very different circumstances, as Patchel is being played out of position (and unhappy about it, allegedly) and Scott was offered a NDC to stay.

ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9423
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 32
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 10:35 am

Vince, interesting bit on Allen here

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scarlets-two-try-hero-morgan-10556158

ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9423
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 32
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by VinceWLB on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 10:37 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:Thinking of it, this would have been a great April fool joke.

What the Ospreys did is pathetic but how were they aware of how much the DC offer was in the 1st place? This shouldn't have leaked.

I have a feeling an agent was trying to get as much as possible out of the NDC, and looks like they have now screwed their client completely.  I can not see how either the Ospreys or the Scarlets can offer competitive wages without he 60% of the unions money, so it will be either take a pay cut of move outside of Wales and put his international careers at risk.

Also, whilst I am really wound up that this has been able to happen, especially seeing as the whole RSA was meant to be about the regions working together etc, I can't help but think there is a little bit of karma at work here with us looking to poach Patchell from the Blues.  I appreciate that these are very different circumstances, as Patchel is being played out of position (and unhappy about it, allegedly) and Scott was offered a NDC to stay.

Probably true about the agent story. They love to invent inflated wages.

I think a player should stay at the same region he is currently playing unless it's the player choice to change region and no biding from other regions should be allowed.

VinceWLB

Posts : 3462
Join date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 10:41 am

VinceWLB wrote:I think a player should stay at the same region he is currently playing unless it's the player choice to change region and no biding from other regions should be allowed.

I believe that is more or less what the RSA tried to achieve. There are obviously some loop holes that were there to be exploited sadly.

ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9423
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 32
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Chunky Norwich on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 10:42 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:Thinking of it, this would have been a great April fool joke.

What the Ospreys did is pathetic but how were they aware of how much the DC offer was in the 1st place? This shouldn't have leaked.

I have a feeling an agent was trying to get as much as possible out of the NDC, and looks like they have now screwed their client completely.  I can not see how either the Ospreys or the Scarlets can offer competitive wages without he 60% of the unions money, so it will be either take a pay cut of move outside of Wales and put his international careers at risk.

Also, whilst I am really wound up that this has been able to happen, especially seeing as the whole RSA was meant to be about the regions working together etc, I can't help but think there is a little bit of karma at work here with us looking to poach Patchell from the Blues.  I appreciate that these are very different circumstances, as Patchel is being played out of position (and unhappy about it, allegedly) and Scott was offered a NDC to stay.

Why is a company offering an out of contract person some work, "poaching?"

Chunky Norwich

Posts : 4409
Join date : 2011-12-08
Location : Location: Location:

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by VinceWLB on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 10:42 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Vince, interesting bit on Allen here

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scarlets-two-try-hero-morgan-10556158

Yes, great read. Thanks.

Always rated Allen since i first watched him 3 or 4 seasons ago. Actually i don't know why you didn't try to get him a season earlier. If he stays injury free he can be a very big player for you and exactly the kind of 8 you needed.

VinceWLB

Posts : 3462
Join date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 10:45 am

Apparently "tapping up" happens all the time:-

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured-post/24572/tapping-up-is-routine-admits-rpa-boos-damian-hopley/

LordDowlais

Posts : 10134
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 39
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 10:46 am

Chunky Norwich wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:Thinking of it, this would have been a great April fool joke.

What the Ospreys did is pathetic but how were they aware of how much the DC offer was in the 1st place? This shouldn't have leaked.

I have a feeling an agent was trying to get as much as possible out of the NDC, and looks like they have now screwed their client completely.  I can not see how either the Ospreys or the Scarlets can offer competitive wages without he 60% of the unions money, so it will be either take a pay cut of move outside of Wales and put his international careers at risk.

Also, whilst I am really wound up that this has been able to happen, especially seeing as the whole RSA was meant to be about the regions working together etc, I can't help but think there is a little bit of karma at work here with us looking to poach Patchell from the Blues.  I appreciate that these are very different circumstances, as Patchel is being played out of position (and unhappy about it, allegedly) and Scott was offered a NDC to stay.

Why is a company offering an out of contract person some work, "poaching?"

Ah come on, its a turn of phrase man. But to be honest, the Ospreys have done the same thing and offered a player who is out of contract some work too.

ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9423
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 32
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 10:50 am

Chunky, also Scarlets fans are all hoping that we are in the race to get hold of Faletau from the Dragons, and hopefully on a NDC. Again, not too dissimilar to this situation.

ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9423
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 32
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Chunky Norwich on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 10:54 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Chunky, also Scarlets fans are all hoping that we are in the race to get hold of Faletau from the Dragons, and hopefully on a NDC.  Again, not too dissimilar to this situation.

Yes, I agree. If the player is out of contract then it's fair game. Patchell hasn't been offered a NDC though. So slightly different.

Chunky Norwich

Posts : 4409
Join date : 2011-12-08
Location : Location: Location:

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by wayne on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 11:11 am

So that is 14 posts after a report in the Fail, that is taken as gospel, IF it is true obviously we feel we have a need for him and have bid accordingly, we are well stocked for 12s, Matavesi, Beck and the youngster Watkin, we are seriously depleted in the 13 channel, even though Ben John had a good end of last season, he has shown his defence has been like a revolving door this year, as he showed yesterday Dirksen is very aggressive but either he doesn't know when to pass or how to, so he is not the long term answer.
So it is ok for the Scarlets to go in for Patchell but we can't go in for Scott, as for the comment about going after Webb and AWJ, I thought the Scarlets were well stocked for S/Hs with the Davies's, but if you want to go in for him, by all means do so.

wayne

Posts : 2659
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 12:02 pm

wayne wrote:IF it is true obviously we feel we have a need for him and have bid accordingly, we are well stocked for 12s, Matavesi, Beck and the youngster Watkin, we are seriously depleted in the 13 channel, even though Ben John had a good end of last season, he has shown his defence has been like a revolving door this year, as he showed yesterday Dirksen is very aggressive but either he doesn't know when to pass or how to, so he is not he long term answer.

I can see why they would want an outside centre. However seeing as Scotty is an inside centre, I am really not sure why he would be the answer.

wayne wrote:So it is ok for the Scarlets to go in for Patchell but we can't go in for Scott.

To be honest I have similar. That said there are a few key differences. First off Scott is not being played out of position (where as the Ospreys would want him to), second was that the Ospreys are competing with the WRU for his signature, not with the Scarlets, and third is that Scott is happy where he is unlike Patchell.

wayne wrote:as for the comment about going after Webb and AWJ, I thought the Scarlets were well stocked for S/Hs with the Davies's, but if you want to go in for him, by all means do so.

Well it is only fair, seeing as the Ospreys are looking likely to relieve us of one of those scrum halves, it would only really be trading one Welsh capped scrum half for another. And why would we not try to get AWJ??


ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9423
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 32
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Seagultaf on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 12:28 pm

Yet another talented young Welsh player badly advised by his greedy agent! WRU are right to stamp on this, if the player is unhappy at his current region by all means let the other regions bid but otherwise all this archives is to spend more of the limited NDC pot that is available.

Unfortunately it looks as though the only solution to the problem is to let Scott go to the highest bidder on a non NDC contract, unfortunately that is unlikely to be Scarlets or Ospreys!

Seagultaf

Posts : 1336
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ospreylia

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Chunky Norwich on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 12:31 pm

Seagultaf wrote:Yet another talented young Welsh player badly advised by his greedy agent! WRU are right to stamp on this, if the player is unhappy at his current region by all means let the other regions bid but otherwise all this archives is to spend more of the limited NDC pot that is available.

Unfortunately it looks as though the only solution to the problem is to let Scott go to the highest bidder on a non NDC contract, unfortunately that is unlikely to be Scarlets or Ospreys!

So the WRU are "right", yet the system they wanted potentially means one of the best young players in Wales could move overseas?

Chunky Norwich

Posts : 4409
Join date : 2011-12-08
Location : Location: Location:

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Seagultaf on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 4:05 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:Yet another talented young Welsh player badly advised by his greedy agent! WRU are right to stamp on this, if the player is unhappy at his current region by all means let the other regions bid but otherwise all this archives is to spend more of the limited NDC pot that is available.

Unfortunately it looks as though the only solution to the problem is to let Scott go to the highest bidder on a non NDC contract, unfortunately that is unlikely to be Scarlets or Ospreys!

So the WRU are "right", yet the system they wanted potentially means one of the best young players in Wales could move overseas?

Looks like the spat between the regions has backed them into a corner!

Seagultaf

Posts : 1336
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ospreylia

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by wayne on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 4:14 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
wayne wrote:IF it is true obviously we feel we have a need for him and have bid accordingly, we are well stocked for 12s, Matavesi, Beck and the youngster Watkin, we are seriously depleted in the 13 channel, even though Ben John had a good end of last season, he has shown his defence has been like a revolving door this year, as he showed yesterday Dirksen is very aggressive but either he doesn't know when to pass or how to, so he is not he long term answer.

I can see why they would want an outside centre.  However seeing as Scotty is an inside centre, I am really not sure why he would be the answer.

Where has he played most of his International Rugby, and by all accounts that is where he wants to play according to a sauce who has the ear of Scotts father
wayne wrote:So it is ok for the Scarlets to go in for Patchell but we can't go in for Scott.

To be honest I have similar.  That said there are a few key differences.  First off Scott is not being played out of position (where as the Ospreys would want him to), second was that the Ospreys are competing with the WRU for his signature, not with the Scarlets, and third is that Scott is happy where he is unlike Patchell.
 
The talk on the grapevine is that the Ospreys matched the WRU and Scarlet NDC deal, we then upped it, what is to stop you from matching it, if he is then so happy to stay with you and play in his favoured position he'll obviously stay with you and good luck  to you, the other point see above 
wayne wrote:as for the comment about going after Webb and AWJ, I thought the Scarlets were well stocked for S/Hs with the Davies's, but if you want to go in for him, by all means do so.

Well it is only fair, seeing as the Ospreys are looking likely to relieve us of one of those scrum halves, it would only really be trading one Welsh capped scrum half for another.  And why would we not try to get AWJ??

Steve Tandy was asked last week in the Press Conference would we be going in for Mike Phillips, he said categorically no, that we are very happy with our 3 scrum halves and went on to name the 3 of them, so why would we go after any of yours? By all means go and try to get AWJ

wayne

Posts : 2659
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 4:40 pm

Sorry boys, but your dream of signing Halfpenny might be thwarted by Cardiff Blues:-

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured-post/24567/leigh-halfpenny-discusses-move-back-to-wales/

LordDowlais

Posts : 10134
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 39
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 5:15 pm


Chunky Norwich wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:WRU offer Scott Williams dual contract.
Ospreys bid for him with a higher % than the dual contract offer.
WRU withdraw dual contract.

Cheers Ospreys.

Maybe we should return the favour with AWJ or Webb?

It just shows how the dual contract system does not work in a rugby nation like Wales. It causes chaos. And now Scott could be off to France because of it. But it's ok James King will be staying in Wales. Hooray.

If you look at most of the players the DC has secured then it does work. King and Baker was a bit of a waste I agree, but with all new procedures being implemented mistakes are made. If you want to blame someone for this one then it's not the WRU. It's Scott and has agent that are to blame.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by wayne on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 6:41 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:WRU offer Scott Williams dual contract.
Ospreys bid for him with a higher % than the dual contract offer.
WRU withdraw dual contract.

Cheers Ospreys.

Maybe we should return the favour with AWJ or Webb?

It just shows how the dual contract system does not work in a rugby nation like Wales. It causes chaos. And now Scott could be off to France because of it. But it's ok James King will be staying in Wales. Hooray.

If you look at most of the players the DC has secured then it does work. King and Baker was a bit of a waste I agree, but with all new procedures being implemented mistakes are made. If you want to blame someone for this one then it's not the WRU. It's Scott and has agent that are to blame.
Mikey, sorry have to disagree, if I was told that there would be 17 players on a DC when WRUburton signed his, by the end of 2015, of the ones that have been signed on them, there are very few I would have, the majority would be first choice Welsh Internationals, of the ones playing in Wales, Liam, Scott, Biggar, Webb, Davies, Samson, Baldwin, Owens, AWJ, Jake, WRUburton, Toby, Tipuric that is 13, allowing 4 others to be brought back, 2 obviously are Foxy and Lyds, can anybody say honestly that French or English clubs are after any of the others on DCs at the moment, I don't think they are, that's my opinion anyway

wayne

Posts : 2659
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 7:03 pm

Wayne, talk is of Rhodri Williams heading your way should Webb not stay, so if he were in the same situation as Scott is now (us offering more to tempt him away), then it may well end up as a swap.

Also to be honest, the fail do like to run these types of stories prior to big regional clashes for the Scarlets. I'm surprised they didn't sit on it for a fortnight and real it out on the 20th instead.

ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9423
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 32
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 7:21 pm

wayne wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:WRU offer Scott Williams dual contract.
Ospreys bid for him with a higher % than the dual contract offer.
WRU withdraw dual contract.

Cheers Ospreys.

Maybe we should return the favour with AWJ or Webb?

It just shows how the dual contract system does not work in a rugby nation like Wales. It causes chaos. And now Scott could be off to France because of it. But it's ok James King will be staying in Wales. Hooray.

If you look at most of the players the DC has secured then it does work. King and Baker was a bit of a waste I agree, but with all new procedures being implemented mistakes are made. If you want to blame someone for this one then it's not the WRU. It's Scott and has agent that are to blame.
Mikey, sorry have to disagree, if I was told that there would be 17 players on a DC when WRUburton signed his, by the end of 2015, of the ones that have been signed on them, there are very few I would have, the majority would be first choice Welsh Internationals, of the ones playing in Wales, Liam, Scott, Biggar, Webb, Davies, Samson, Baldwin, Owens, AWJ, Jake, WRUburton, Toby, Tipuric that is 13, allowing 4 others to be brought back, 2 obviously are Foxy and Lyds, can anybody say honestly that French or English clubs are after any of the others on DCs at the moment, I don't think they are, that's my opinion anyway

With the way they're progressing who's to say Amos and Morgan won't be on French radar within a year? Biggar and Lydiate are on DCs. Isn't Baldwin too? Foxy has signed one, Halfpenny could sign one soon. So I can't specifically see where you disagree? Perhaps with some players they are waiting for their current contracts to expire before putting a DC on the table.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by wayne on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 7:53 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
wayne wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:WRU offer Scott Williams dual contract.
Ospreys bid for him with a higher % than the dual contract offer.
WRU withdraw dual contract.

Cheers Ospreys.

Maybe we should return the favour with AWJ or Webb?

It just shows how the dual contract system does not work in a rugby nation like Wales. It causes chaos. And now Scott could be off to France because of it. But it's ok James King will be staying in Wales. Hooray.

If you look at most of the players the DC has secured then it does work. King and Baker was a bit of a waste I agree, but with all new procedures being implemented mistakes are made. If you want to blame someone for this one then it's not the WRU. It's Scott and has agent that are to blame.
Mikey, sorry have to disagree, if I was told that there would be 17 players on a DC when WRUburton signed his, by the end of 2015, of the ones that have been signed on them, there are very few I would have, the majority would be first choice Welsh Internationals, of the ones playing in Wales, Liam, Scott, Biggar, Webb, Davies, Samson, Baldwin, Owens, AWJ, Jake, WRUburton, Toby, Tipuric that is 13, allowing 4 others to be brought back, 2 obviously are Foxy and Lyds, can anybody say honestly that French or English clubs are after any of the others on DCs at the moment, I don't think they are, that's my opinion anyway

With the way they're progressing who's to say Amos and Morgan won't be on French radar within a year? Biggar and Lydiate are on DCs. Isn't Baldwin too? Foxy has signed one, Halfpenny could sign one soon. So I can't specifically see where you disagree? Perhaps with some players they are waiting for their current contracts to expire before putting a DC on the table.
Mikey, I knew you would come back to those 2, Morgan is thought of as no better than 4th choice. Davies, Williams and Cory Allen are ahead of him in Gatlands eyes and Amos is about the same for a back 3 position.I put a list in of players playing in Wales of 13, you've mentioned 2 so yes we do disagree, I wouldn't have either of your boys, 3 of the Ospreys who've signed up recently, Anscombe, I stated Lyds and Foxy to fetch back. My opinion is to try and sign up the players that French and English teams would be liable to go for and fetch back some of the ones that had left. From my list above I would add Leigh and George that would be my 17 done and dusted

wayne

Posts : 2659
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Chunky Norwich on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 8:55 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Wayne, talk is of Rhodri Williams heading your way should Webb not stay

Rhodri is not the only Scarlets scrum half that the Ospreys have on their wishlist.

Chunky Norwich

Posts : 4409
Join date : 2011-12-08
Location : Location: Location:

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 11:43 pm

wayne wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
wayne wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:WRU offer Scott Williams dual contract.
Ospreys bid for him with a higher % than the dual contract offer.
WRU withdraw dual contract.

Cheers Ospreys.

Maybe we should return the favour with AWJ or Webb?

It just shows how the dual contract system does not work in a rugby nation like Wales. It causes chaos. And now Scott could be off to France because of it. But it's ok James King will be staying in Wales. Hooray.

If you look at most of the players the DC has secured then it does work. King and Baker was a bit of a waste I agree, but with all new procedures being implemented mistakes are made. If you want to blame someone for this one then it's not the WRU. It's Scott and has agent that are to blame.
Mikey, sorry have to disagree, if I was told that there would be 17 players on a DC when WRUburton signed his, by the end of 2015, of the ones that have been signed on them, there are very few I would have, the majority would be first choice Welsh Internationals, of the ones playing in Wales, Liam, Scott, Biggar, Webb, Davies, Samson, Baldwin, Owens, AWJ, Jake, WRUburton, Toby, Tipuric that is 13, allowing 4 others to be brought back, 2 obviously are Foxy and Lyds, can anybody say honestly that French or English clubs are after any of the others on DCs at the moment, I don't think they are, that's my opinion anyway

With the way they're progressing who's to say Amos and Morgan won't be on French radar within a year? Biggar and Lydiate are on DCs. Isn't Baldwin too? Foxy has signed one, Halfpenny could sign one soon. So I can't specifically see where you disagree? Perhaps with some players they are waiting for their current contracts to expire before putting a DC on the table.
Mikey, I knew you would come back to those 2, Morgan is thought of as no better than 4th choice. Davies, Williams and Cory Allen are ahead of him in Gatlands eyes and Amos is about the same for a back 3 position.I put a list in of players playing in Wales of 13, you've mentioned 2 so yes we do disagree, I wouldn't have either of your boys, 3 of the Ospreys who've signed up recently, Anscombe, I stated Lyds and Foxy to fetch back. My opinion is to try and sign up the players that French and English teams would be liable to go for and fetch back some of the ones that had left. From my list above I would add Leigh and George that would be my 17 done and dusted

Wayne if you watch rugby then I think you can clearly see that Morgan is better than Allen, which is his only real competitor in the Wales squad. Amos is also better than Cuthbert and Walker (though you might disagree on the latter) so in my mind you're incorrect on both. Gatland had sense and convinced the WRU to contract these - good move.

The players already contracted were Sam Warburton, Alun Wyn Jones, Biggar, Rhys Webb, Dan Lydiate, Scott Williams, Jake Ball, Samson Lee, Rhodri Jones, Tyler Morgan, Hallam Amos and Gareth Anscombe - most of which feature in the Welsh starting team, IE first choice internationals like you mentioned. The only ones that come across as a waste of funds are R.Jones, King and Baker. I won't include Thornton because I believe he will feature in upcoming Wales squads - in the future I hope to see all promising youngsters like him signed straight up. The former though haven't really shown much promise, or have done and weren't good enough; neither were they on the radar of any big spenders unlike the other NDCs would be.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35034840 - More good news coming in is that Webb will apparently stay and re-sign, just after Dan Biggar has done so. Hopefully AWJ will follow. As I've mentioned Foxy has signed up and will return to the Scarlets; as it's been mentioned elsewhere and reiterated by myself among others, Halfpenny will apparently sign up. So there you have it, we're fetching back players that left. It's not much but it's a start. I fully agree with you that the entire first team should be signed up and perhaps will be in the near future. So seeing as we pretty much agree then I still don't see where you disagree with me? Unless you're on chunky's wavelength.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 11:47 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Wayne, talk is of Rhodri Williams heading your way should Webb not stay, so if he were in the same situation as Scott is now (us offering more to tempt him away), then it may well end up as a swap.

Also to be honest, the fail do like to run these types of stories prior to big regional clashes for the Scarlets.  I'm surprised they didn't sit on it for a fortnight and real it out on the 20th instead.

That seems a bit daft when Ospreys have Leonard, Habberfield and Grabham. Williams should be No.2 scrum-half at the Scarlets.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Seagultaf on Tue 08 Dec 2015, 8:48 am

I suspect that Rhodri Williams will be surplus to requirements at the Scarlets if Gareth Davies stays on an NDC. His form and confidence has dropped since the emergence of Aled Davies, a move may rekindle his form.
My view on the NDCs is that they should be used first and foremost to keep the top Welsh internationals playing for their regions. And then if there is cash remaining use it to bring back the current Welsh internationals playing outside Wales.
Up and coming players who may in future become top Welsh international are another matter and should be retained on development contracts, which hopefully the WRU can assist the regions with.

Seagultaf

Posts : 1336
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ospreylia

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 08 Dec 2015, 9:25 am

Tuesday news for Scarlets, James Davies has signed with Scarlets until 2018:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/flanker-james-davies-signs-new-10565165

LordDowlais

Posts : 10134
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 39
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Cardiff Dave on Tue 08 Dec 2015, 4:27 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:He won't go to the Ospreys. The whole system is a shambles, as per usual in Wales.

Yeah, but we love a shambles in Wales mun.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 5984
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Tue 08 Dec 2015, 8:46 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/ospreys-ready-admit-defeat-race-10570258

So long story short, big pat on the back to the Ospreys (and Scotts agent), they have managed to screw the Scarlets out of 60% of Scott's wages, whilst leaving ndc money for uncapped 53rd choice players like Thornton clap

ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9423
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 32
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Cardiff Dave on Tue 08 Dec 2015, 8:51 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/ospreys-ready-admit-defeat-race-10570258

So long story short, big pat on the back to the Ospreys (and Scotts agent), they have managed to screw the Scarlets out of 60% of Scott's wages, whilst leaving ndc money for uncapped 53rd choice players like Thornton clap

D'you mean the little bloke from the Fail who wrote the article?

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 5984
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by wayne on Tue 08 Dec 2015, 9:11 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/ospreys-ready-admit-defeat-race-10570258

So long story short, big pat on the back to the Ospreys (and Scotts agent), they have managed to screw the Scarlets out of 60% of Scott's wages, whilst leaving ndc money for uncapped 53rd choice players like Thornton clap
If it means that some time in the future, when both of our teams are in for the same player, you have £80000 less to bid for said player, now that is good business, as for 53rd choice players on DC, what would Rhodri be 153, more to the point you were willing to screw your own player and get him for less than what he is really worth.
It is called business SS

wayne

Posts : 2659
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:21 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum