The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

+26
international198
Blueschief
demosthenes
Stone Motif
Coleman
PhilBB
RiscaGame
True Raven
Marshes
eirebilly
ScarletSpiderman
Chunky Norwich
VinceWLB
mikey_dragon
wayne
Cardiff Dave
SecretFly
BamBam
Seagultaf
munkian
2ndtimeround
Hazel Sapling
LordDowlais
maestegmafia
George Carlin
BuzzScarlet
30 posters

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16  - Page 11 Empty The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

Come on bois.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16  - Page 11 Empty Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by LordDowlais Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:27 pm

If what I am hearing is correct, Scott Williams is back for judgement day.

Scarletspiderman, can you confirm this ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16  - Page 11 Empty Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:33 pm

That's what they have been saying. But until he takes to the feild you never know.

Personally I think I'd bench him at best anyway. Parkes has been brilliant for us, Owen and Reggie have been pretty decent too, so I would risk throwing in someone who hasn't played since October purely based on his name.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:47 pm

Yes but it is nice to see him back all the same. OK

Let's get him some game time before Wales tour NZ.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Yeah let's sacrifice the Scarlets chances of the playoffs, and possibly Europe, to ensure that Scott can bench warm in New Zealand.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:37 am

I'd like to see Scott or Tyler partner Roberts. Not impressed with JD2 in the past 3 years at all.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:12 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Yeah let's sacrifice the Scarlets chances of the playoffs, and possibly Europe, to ensure that Scott can bench warm in New Zealand.

Dowlais would do anything to shoehorn all Welsh players in. You should also drop DTH as he's blocking the progression of a winger in division 3 West. #welshisbest

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:26 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Yeah let's sacrifice the Scarlets chances of the playoffs, and possibly Europe, to ensure that Scott can bench warm in New Zealand.

Dowlais would do anything to shoehorn all Welsh players in. You should also drop DTH as he's blocking the progression of a winger in division 3 West. #welshisbest

I'll wager that LD wears pink Pyjamas.......to match his hat.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:36 pm

Dai boxing laughing

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:17 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Dai boxing laughing

A pink onesy then.
Pretty obvious though that the Merthyr Mouth is team Wales first and foremost. LD would admit it too I reckon.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:06 pm

After the game on Saturday we had the official leaving presentation thing (not all of the players were there mind).

So I believe that the Scarlets are losing the following (and I believe that is it)

Phil John
Kirby Myhill
Rhodri Jones
George Earle
Paulinho
Rhodri Williams
Steve Shingler
Jordan Williams
Regan King
Michael Tagicakibau
Michael Collins

Also we have currently announced the following signings

Werner Kruger
Jonny Evans
Rhys Patchell
Jon Davies
Johnny McNicholl

In addition to these I have heard that Tom Williams has signed for two years (as he was on loan). We are meant to be announcing a second row signing today sometime (I believe it is Bernardo from the Ospreys). And Mick Collins is pretty likely to return come the end of the ITM Cup, as he was only signed on loan originally and was always going to have to return. So I think with players being promoted from the academy/semi-pros, we are in pretty good shape, maybe we will need another loosehead (unless we intend on trying the under20s kids there), and maybe another lump type lock.

2016/2017 Squad (at the moment)

Back Three
Liam Williams, Johnny McNicholl, DTH Van De Merwe, Steffan Evans, Tom Williams, Harry Robinson

Centres
Jon Davies, Scott Williams, Hadleigh Parkes, Gareth Owen, Steffan Hughes

Fly Halves
Rhys Patchell, Dan Jones, Aled Thomas

Scrum Halves
Gareth Davies, Aled Davies, Jonny Evans

Looseheads
Rob Evans, Dylan Evans, Rhys Fawcett

Hookers
Ken Owens, Emyr Phillips, Ryan Ellias

Tightheads
Samson Lee, Werner Kruger, Peter Edwards

Locks
Jake Ball, David Bullbring, Tom Price, Lewis Rawlings

Backrow
James Davies, John Barclay, Morgan Allen, Aaron Shingler, Will Boyde, Jack Condy, Tom Phillips
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:05 pm

Oh whoopdy do. I have Cardiff Dave and mikey_dragon taking the p1ss of me about watching rugby and these two clowns never leave their front room to watch a rugby match.

FFS, just to let you all know, I am a Welsh rugby supporter, I support ALL Welsh rugby.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:39 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Oh whoopdy do. I have Cardiff Dave and mikey_dragon taking the p1ss of me about watching rugby and these two clowns never leave their front room to watch a rugby match.

FFS, just to let you all know, I am a Welsh rugby supporter, I support ALL Welsh rugby.

Told you so.
Hey I quite like the idea of a Cardiff clown. Should be our mascot I reckon and armed with a comedy car horn to put off the opposition kicker and buckets of confetti for the crowd. The kids would love it.
Honk! Honk!

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:00 pm

Has DTH confirmed whether he is staying or not?

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:43 pm

demosthenes wrote:Has DTH confirmed whether he is staying or not?

He wasn't amongst the players who were awarded their leaving presents, and Pivac is constantly mentioning him when he does his 'building a squad for the next season or two' stuff, so I believe he is staying. Hopefully all the stuff about him leaving was new baby nerves, as it was doing the rounds just after his little one was born.

It does look like we are going to let a few more go, but they are academy kids (and Jack Paybe, brought in as a punt/potential).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:05 pm

SS I think you'll only truly miss Earle, Myhill and Collins - but isn't the latter coming back to you anyway? The rest have been a bit poor. I notice you have Steve Shingler on your list, and I remember saying at the start of the season that he was no longer cut out for this level. To cut a long story short I was criticised by Chunky and the likes for merey pointing out something blatantly obvious, so I wonder if they'll come back and appologise to me?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:15 pm

Chunky won't be back to apologise, he's told me he's been given the boot from here after his numerous run ins with the mafia on here.

I was one of those who defended Shingler, and even after his woeful display on Saturday I still will. His goal kicking in the early part of the season is the only reason the Scarlets are not sat down with the other regions hoping for results to go their way.

That said he will probably not be too badly missed, patch is an upgrade, and Dan Jones is developing nicely. And we still have Aled there to slot in when required. I do wonder where Shingler will fit in at the Blues, but I think he will be more successful there than Nipper will be.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:35 pm

Is that first part true? I think that's awful. A guy who strongly harboured a view that disagreed with the status quo gets kicked off by the Irish-biased mods Headscratch.

His goal kicking was still poor earlier in the season SS, low percentage rate. Perhaps you're still loving the fact that during a game where he kicked very poorly, he slotted the penalty that won Scarlets the game (against Munster) in the final minute? I don't see what there is to defend if I'm honest - he can't cut it.

I wholeheartedly agree with your final comments. Jones and McBryde look very promising, probably a bit too soon, but as you said Patchell is coming in, and from what I've seen this season Aled Thomas is much better than Shingler. I can't at all see why the Blues signed Shingler.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:00 am

He was getting used as an American football style goal kicker, being brought on to slot the 3, near the end when it was most needed (done a few times at home, failed against Ospreys at home sadly). But I think Aled Thomas has a higher % this season in all, even taking the Edinburgh away game into account.

I can see why the Blues have gone for him, when he is fit (this weekend he was returning from months out), and I think they know Annscombe will be missing with Wales, maybe Nipper too. Also as a bench option he can cover 10,12,15.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:02 am

Probably to play centre. Its where he played at London Irish and with Cory Allen stuck to the treatment table and Willis halaholo not arriving till the middle of the season hes probably not bad cover for injuries also he can be on the bench when anscombe is with wales and cover 10. The blues lost patchell and I cant see a welsh qualified back up ten available when they picked up shingler, however, I bet they wished they waited and got Tovey

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueschief Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:15 am

I wish Cardiff waited to get Tovey, would have grown under Wilson. Ah well, Shingler will have to do. McBryde looked great for the U20s, agree Scarlets have a future gem there.

Blueschief

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:17 am

I actually thought Shingler could do a decent job at 12 despite having face like a wet fish, and provided there was a good enough 10 inside him. His ball-playing is probably a bit better than Gavin Evans' too... TR, a lot of folk down here are still fuming over the Tovey release, particularly if the Lyp rumour is true.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:07 am

They could still get Tovey though. Just have to be quick in case Edinburgh do sign him. I am sure he would rather stay in Wales too.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:55 pm

Let's be honest McShingler has been injured pretty much all season, when he has played he has hobbled about the field and been covered in bandages and plaster. I suspect I am not alone in being one who expected Shingler to make the no 10 jersey his own after Priestland left, but with such a poor run on injuries he just has not been fit enough to mount a challenge. It's been a big problem for the Scarlets who have been playing the under 20's guy Jones and journeyman Aled.

What's more of a suprise is the way the Scarlets have seemingly lost interest at the business end of the season, going from winning away at Ospreys to just not turning up against, Cardiff and Glasgow. Any of the Scarlets fans know if there a dressing room problem? The players seem to have no interest or pride in the jersey, the defence in the last two games has been non existent, both in tactics and commitment!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:24 pm

Seagul, on the Scarlets forum there is the usual talk of people losing the changing room. But to be honest that just seems to be the go to excuse people use nowadays.

Also, not sure if anyone has seen this but Phil John has come out and said he is looking for another side, as he still has a few years left in the tank and even though he wished to remain at the Scarlets, he was not offered another contract. Obviously that has fuelled the ;lost the changing room' stuff. But I have a feeling it is more down to simple economics, we have a finite amount of cash and we have two good, if not better, loosehead options who are younger, and a few young prospects coming through too. So the money is better spent on bolstering weaker areas. It is a real shame, but it is the nature of the beast when in a professional sport.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:01 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Seagul, on the Scarlets forum there is the usual talk of people losing the changing room.  But to be honest that just seems to be the go to excuse people use nowadays.

Also, not sure if anyone has seen this but Phil John has come out and said he is looking for another side, as he still has a few years left in the tank and even though he wished to remain at the Scarlets, he was not offered another contract.  Obviously that has fuelled the ;lost the changing room' stuff.  But I have a feeling it is more down to simple economics, we have a finite amount of cash and we have two good, if not better, loosehead options who are younger, and a few young prospects coming through too.  So the money is better spent on bolstering weaker areas.  It is a real shame, but it is the nature of the beast when in a professional sport.

Disapointing about Phil John, great servant to the club, maybe his agent was looking for an unrealistic salary for a guy, as you say, is now probably third choice.

You don't seem to be going with the coach has lost the dressing room theory, so do you have any insight into why the Scarlets players seem to have lost all motivation?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:57 am

I try to wait and see. One or two good win/s does not mean the team are world beaters, and likewise with poor performances don't mean you have fallen apart. I think we try to find too much drama in things.

Against the blues we were tactically lacking, and also a bit arrogant of the back of the win at the library. Against Glasgow we hung in for 50ish minutes, despite having a pretty crappy build up to the game. I still think we will be the only Welsh in the rcc, and I still think we will make the playoffs.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:08 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I try to wait and see.  One or two good win/s does not mean the team are world beaters, and likewise with poor performances don't mean you have fallen apart.  I think we try to find too much drama in things.

Against the blues we were tactically lacking, and also a bit arrogant of the back of the win at the library.  Against Glasgow we hung in for 50ish minutes, despite having a pretty crappy build up to the game.  I still think we will be the only Welsh in the rcc, and I still think we will make the playoffs.

I like your confidence Very Happy

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:11 pm

After being on here and the Scarlets forum for a while I learnt it's either be confident, or depressed. And I don't like being depressed
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:22 pm

Harry Robinson has been forced into retirement at 23.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:13 pm

Ah, that's a shame SS

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:29 pm

I was saying to a work mate that you have to feel sorry for Robinson to a point. He was talked up as the heir apparent to Shane, back when he was playing Under 20s, and even when he got his first cap for Wales. But things just didn't pan out for him, and now he's retiring at only 23 he hasn't really had a chance to show if there was any mileage in the hype or not.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:47 pm

Dragons v Scarlets

Dragons: Carl Meyer, Adam Hughes, Adam Warren, Jack Dixon, Hallam Amos, Angus O'Brien, Charlie Davies; Phil Price, Elliot Dee, Brok Harris, Rynard Landman, Nick Crosswell, Lewis Evans (capt), Nic Cudd, Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: Rhys Buckley, Luke Garrett. Lloyd Fairbrother, Matthew Screech, Ed Jackson, Sarel Pretorius, Dorian Jones, Geraint Rhys Jones.

Scarlets: Michael Collins; Liam Williams, Hadleigh Parkes, Scott Williams, Steff Evans; Steven Shingler, Aled Davies, Rob Evans, Ken Owens (capt), Samson Lee, Jake Ball, David Bulbring, Lewis Rawlins, James Davies, John Barclay.

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Dylan Evans, Peter Edwards, Jack Condy, Morgan Allen, Gareth Davies, Aled Thomas, Gareth Owen

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:23 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Harry Robinson has been forced into retirement at 23.

The Scarlets have plenty of strength in depth on the wings to cope with Harry Robinson's retirement. The likes of Steff Evans, Liam Williams, DTH van der Merwe, Tom Williams, Hadleigh Parkes, Johnny McNicholl, Ioan Nicholas and others will be available to be selected on the wings next season (hopefully).

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:18 pm

international198 wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Harry Robinson has been forced into retirement at 23.

The Scarlets have plenty of strength in depth on the wings to cope with Harry Robinson's retirement. The likes of Steff Evans, Liam Williams, DTH van der Merwe, Tom Williams, Hadleigh Parkes, Johnny McNicholl, Ioan Nicholas and others will be available to be selected on the wings next season (hopefully).

Steff and Liam are fullbacks, Parkes is a centre, Tom Williams is a journeyman, McNicholl has not joined yet, DTH has a major injury and I regret I don't know who Ioan Nicholas is. So for their most important game of the season they are playing three fullbacks!

Shame about Harry, but lacked both pace and any semblance of a defensive game so I was expecting him to be released this summer anyway. If they get DTH fit and keep him at the club, him McNicholl and Liam will be a strong back three but they clearly need to recruit a back up wing to cover inevitable injuries.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:37 pm

Well done to the Scarlets, deservedly finished top Welsh region but have limped over the line against a very poor Dragons side.

Well done also to Shingler who has shown what could have been if he had managed to stay fit this season. Until Collins got injured the Scarlets looked red hot, but (see my post above) the Scarlets cupboard is bare of wings at present so Gareth Owen (who lacks pace at centre) ended up on the wing again.

I don't think that they will have enough left in the tank to help the Ospreys by troubling Munster next week. To be honest with you, I suspect the Scarlets will be glad to see the season end so that they can regroup for next year.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:08 pm

Seagultaf wrote:Well done to the Scarlets, deservedly finished top Welsh region but have limped over the line against a very poor Dragons side.

Well done also to Shingler who has shown what could have been if he had managed to stay fit this season. Until Collins got injured the Scarlets looked red hot, but (see my post above) the Scarlets cupboard is bare of wings at present so Gareth Owen (who lacks pace at centre) ended up on the wing again.

I don't think that they will have enough left in the tank to help the Ospreys by troubling Munster next week. To be honest with you, I suspect the Scarlets will be glad to see the season end so that they can regroup for next year.
Seagul, how can you give up like that, if you win and deny Munster a losing bonus point, and we beat Ulster (and we will) you will finish in the play offs and we will qualify for RCC. There is still plenty to play for.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:09 pm

So glad to see Scott Williams back, the guy is class and imo a step up on any welsh centre we have and deserves the chance to fight for that 12 welsh shirt and not just sit on the bench

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:33 pm

True Raven wrote:So glad to see Scott Williams back, the guy is class and imo a step up on any welsh centre we have and deserves the chance to fight for that 12 welsh shirt and not just sit on the bench
TR, we haven't a bad one either, especially in the long term, and he showed it today when he was put in his correct position of outside centre.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:42 pm

wayne wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:Well done to the Scarlets, deservedly finished top Welsh region but have limped over the line against a very poor Dragons side.

Seagul, how can you give up like that, if you win and deny Munster a losing bonus point, and we beat Ulster (and we will) you will finish in the play offs and we will qualify for RCC. There is still plenty to play for.

Wayne the Scarlets struggled to beat the Dragons who were very poor. You really think they will beat this Munster side who thrashed Leinster today at Thormund?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:48 pm

wayne wrote:
True Raven wrote:So glad to see Scott Williams back, the guy is class and imo a step up on any welsh centre we have and deserves the chance to fight for that 12 welsh shirt and not just sit on the bench
TR, we haven't a bad one either, especially in the long term, and he showed it today when he was put in his correct position of outside centre.

Wayne who are you suggesting is best at outside centre?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:50 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
wayne wrote:

Wayne the Scarlets struggled to beat the Dragons who were very poor. You really think they will beat this Munster side who thrashed Leinster today at Thormund?

Seagul, how drunk are you Ulster thrashed Leinster today, and Edinburgh lost to Munster in Cork YESTERDAY, and IMO were very unlucky to do so, as in the tight they were much the better team.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:50 pm

You beat us at the liberty, whilst we beat Munster in cork. Previous matches mean nothing, its just 80 minutes and that's it

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:51 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
wayne wrote:

If you watched the game you would know who I was talking about.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun May 01, 2016 2:09 am

It certainly wasn't Tyler Morgan, but if he had been playing then everybody would have been talking about him Smile. As for Scott, why don't the Scarlets just put him at 13? He thrives in more space like he did today in the wider channels. He has the pace, power and skill to exploit it better than any other Welsh 13 - why we persist on putting a centre that can't pass there (JD2) I don't know. Roberts is the best 12 in the NH - perhaps JD2 should compete for that position and leave the 13 jersey to Williams, Morgan and Watkin. It will be interesting to see how Pivac approaches this next season.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun May 01, 2016 2:51 am

Congrats to Ben Whitehouse and his team. Well deserved Wink

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun May 01, 2016 9:51 am

wayne wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:
wayne wrote:

If you watched the game you would know who I was talking about.

The outside centres were Warren and Parkes, so which one are you talking about?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sun May 01, 2016 12:02 pm

Owen watkin as he said 'we haven't got a bad one either' meaning the ospreys

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun May 01, 2016 12:07 pm

True Raven wrote:Owen watkin as he said 'we haven't got a bad one either' meaning the ospreys
Yes TR, and for Seagul's benefit I didn't say he was the best one, yesterday obviously the best centre on view was Scott, pure unadulterated class.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue May 03, 2016 10:06 am

The Scarlets have confirmed duo Gareth Owen and Tom Williams have signed new contract extensions to keep them at the west Wales region.

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/news/11342.php#.VyhcDNIrLcs

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue May 03, 2016 11:08 am

To be honest I think we have announced everyone who is leaving already (bar accademy kids), so any player whose contract was due to expire end of the season will have their extensions announced in drips (but I think they are all pretty much announced now).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next