The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

+26
international198
Blueschief
demosthenes
Stone Motif
Coleman
PhilBB
RiscaGame
True Raven
Marshes
eirebilly
ScarletSpiderman
Chunky Norwich
VinceWLB
mikey_dragon
wayne
Cardiff Dave
SecretFly
BamBam
Seagultaf
munkian
2ndtimeround
Hazel Sapling
LordDowlais
maestegmafia
George Carlin
BuzzScarlet
30 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16  - Page 12 Empty The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 11 Aug 2015 - 19:30

First topic message reminder :

Come on bois.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16  - Page 12 Empty Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by international198 Tue 3 May 2016 - 10:52

Gareth Owen and Tom Williams' contracts extended:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36190213

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scarlets-pair-gareth-owen-tom-11274312

Last edited by international198 on Tue 3 May 2016 - 15:48; edited 1 time in total

international198

Back to top Go down

The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16  - Page 12 Empty Re: The official "Even London Irish have got a thread" Scarlets thread 2015/16

Post by international198 Tue 3 May 2016 - 15:35

Gruesome injuries sustained by Steven Shingler and Jake Ball after training ground head clash:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/gruesome-injuries-suffered-two-wales-11273560

Last edited by international198 on Tue 3 May 2016 - 15:47; edited 1 time in total

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Tue 3 May 2016 - 15:36

Wales prop Samson Lee ruled out of Scarlets' final league match in Munster:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-prop-samson-lee-ruled-11275425#rlabs=5%20rt$category%20p$3

Last edited by international198 on Tue 3 May 2016 - 15:46; edited 1 time in total

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Tue 3 May 2016 - 15:45

What needs to happen for the Scarlets to achieve a play-off spot:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/what-needs-happen-ospreys-scarlets-11269572#rlabs=15%20rt$category%20p$7

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 3 May 2016 - 17:49

Blinking heck Delme.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 3 May 2016 - 18:11

Has this become the Wales on line twitter feed or something ???

If people are going to put links up, at the very least put the first paragraph up as well so people can have a semblance of what the article contains OK  Otherwise people will just think you're a click bait merchant thumbsup
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 3 May 2016 - 22:03

I'll sum those links up, save people having to click on them.

- Gareth Owen & Tom Williams sign new contacts

- Judgement day warm up, McShingler & Ball clash heads. Ball has a bit of a gash on his cheek, McShingler seems to have ripped his top lip in half.

- Samson is undergoing return to play procedures following a knock to the head

- Scarlets need to pick up sto east 1pt more than Ulster this weekend.

- Wales online hits go up ten fold due to non-stop link posting on here
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 3 May 2016 - 22:10

Tough ask for Scarlets, but good luck. Personally I think your backroom staff could do with a re-jig. The forwards coach is Hayward right? One of the most unsuccessful Wales U20 coaches ever, Scarlets pack seems a bit powder puff when they're up against the likes of Ospreys and other big packs, and with their internationals that really shouldn't be happening. I'm not sure who the defence coach is but he certainly needs to go. The attack was a bit stale this season but that said you did miss certain players, although you could also argue that the players to step in should have been brought up to speed by the coaching staff.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 3 May 2016 - 22:14

I thought Hayward was defence?

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 3 May 2016 - 22:38

Well if so then that's no surprise it's so bad.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 4 May 2016 - 8:42

Cunningham is the forwards coach, assisted by Phil John, in his first season of top flight coaching. Haywood is defence coach, and Steve Jones as attack coach.

I think you should re-watch the match against the Ospreys at the library, and then tell me which pack looked powder puff. Our pack won that game, we destroyed their scrum and Rob Evans was man of the match.

I think we have missed players like Scott and Sanjay as much, possibly more, in defence than we have in attack too. Both of them are heart on their sleeve type leaders, and this season we have only really had Parkes as that type of player in the backs (as opposed to Rob, Ken, Emyr, Ball, Barclay in the pack).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 4 May 2016 - 8:52

Scarlets will have one heck of a team next season, with the following players:-

Rob Evans
Ken Owens
Samson Lee
Jake Ball
James Davies
Aaron Shingler
Gareth Davies
Rhys Patchell
Jonathan Davies
Scott Williams
Hadley Parkes
Liam Davies
DTH Van De Merve (Is he staying ?)
John Barcley

There should in all honestly be no excuses next season with players like that at the region, so lets hope they are not win less in Europe and that they are vying for playoff places in the league.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 4 May 2016 - 9:32

We were bottom seeds in the RCC this season, so we were expected to be the groups whipping boys, and as such going winless is not unexpected. Next season, I believe we are likely to be 3rd seeds, so there should be a lesser side than us in the group, so there should be a win in there (unless Toulon end up 4th seed).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 4 May 2016 - 9:36

Well, Scarlets should be the best 3rd ranked team in Europe with those players. Even if they were 4th ranked next year, with the squad they have for next season there should be no excuses.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Wed 4 May 2016 - 10:45

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/news/11341.php#.VynEV6uDDHg wrote:Looking ahead to the final game of the regular season, against Munster on Saturday afternoon, Williams went on to say: "We knew how important this game was today to make sure that we were in the top six and the play-offs are still alive.

"We've won out there before, we know that we can do it. If we put the same performance in as [Saturday], cut out some of the indiscipline and errors we have a chance I think."

See Scott Williams in action at Parc y Scarlets in the Champions Cup in 2016-17. Renew or purchase your Season Ticket now!

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Wed 4 May 2016 - 10:48

Munster v Scarlets will be live on S4C on Saturday the 7th of May 2016. Coverage will start at 14.45.

http://www.s4c.cymru/e_listings.shtml?dt=2016-05-07

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Wed 4 May 2016 - 10:55

Nigel Owens will referee Munster v Scarlets on Saturday.

http://www.pro12rugby.com/matchcentre/19687.php#6Zsjb3HK73bcqYyO.99

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 4 May 2016 - 11:13

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Cunningham is the forwards coach, assisted by Phil John, in his first season of top flight coaching.  Haywood is defence coach, and Steve Jones as attack coach.  

I think you should re-watch the match against the Ospreys at the library, and then tell me which pack looked powder puff.  Our pack won that game, we destroyed their scrum and Rob Evans was man of the match.

I think we have missed players like Scott and Sanjay as much, possibly more, in defence than we have in attack too.  Both of them are heart on their sleeve type leaders, and this season we have only really had Parkes as that type of player in the backs (as opposed to Rob, Ken, Emyr, Ball, Barclay in the pack).

That's quite an ignorant point when bearing in mind I also watched the match against Ospreys at Parc-y-Scarlets. Then there's some of the matches against Glasgow, then Northampton, Racing, etc. This trend isn't unique to this season btw, thinking back to Leicester and again Ospreys last season. As soon as a big pack fronts up to the Scarlets they don't seem to wanna know. I know if I was as devout a Scarlets supporter as you I wouldn't so quiet about it.

Thanks for enlightening me on your coaching staff though. I take it you don't agree that some of it needs a re-jig?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 4 May 2016 - 11:15

ScarletSpiderman wrote:We were bottom seeds in the RCC this season, so we were expected to be the groups whipping boys, and as such going winless is not unexpected.  Next season, I believe we are likely to be 3rd seeds, so there should be a lesser side than us in the group, so there should be a win in there (unless Toulon end up 4th seed).

Whenever I read this from you I get the impression you think it's an acceptable return. It certainly isn't IMO. If you manage to keep a fit first XV, which should be pretty tasty next season, you don't think you can beat the likes of Toulon?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 4 May 2016 - 11:17

LordDowlais wrote:Scarlets will have one heck of a team next season, with the following players:-

Rob Evans
Ken Owens
Samson Lee
Jake Ball
James Davies
Aaron Shingler
Gareth Davies
Rhys Patchell
Jonathan Davies
Scott Williams
Hadley Parkes
Liam Davies
DTH Van De Merve (Is he staying ?)
John Barcley

There should in all honestly be no excuses next season with players like that at the region, so lets hope they are not win less in Europe and that they are vying for playoff places in the league.

You're forgetting the South Africans. Are Scarlets recruiting/promoting a No.8? Shingler just causes unbalance in that back-row.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 4 May 2016 - 11:26

LordDowlais wrote:Well, Scarlets should be the best 3rd ranked team in Europe with those players. Even if they were 4th ranked next year, with the squad they have for next season there should be no excuses.

Have you ever tried to view the world without whose rose tinted glasses on?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 4 May 2016 - 11:31

mikey_dragon wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:We were bottom seeds in the RCC this season, so we were expected to be the groups whipping boys, and as such going winless is not unexpected.  Next season, I believe we are likely to be 3rd seeds, so there should be a lesser side than us in the group, so there should be a win in there (unless Toulon end up 4th seed).

Whenever I read this from you I get the impression you think it's an acceptable return. It certainly isn't IMO. If you manage to keep a fit first XV, which should be pretty tasty next season, you don't think you can beat the likes of Toulon?

Well, I await the Dragons results in the RCC1 and then see if you share the opinion of being outclassed or not  Whistle Also, given the expectations that some seemed to have of us in RCC, I think we would have to be top seeded team in the pool to stand a chance of achieving them.

Honestly, I do think we can take a lot of teams.  And I do not think we have anything to fear from any team in Europe.  However, I am also realistic and do think that there are time when our players have given so much in previous games that they have nothing left in the tank for the following games.  Next season it looks like we are trying to get a RCC class first team, and a high quality Pro12 side in place for when the internationals are away.  So hopefully we will be able to rotate a bit more and keep players fresher.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 4 May 2016 - 12:29

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Well, I await the Dragons results in the RCC1 and then see if you share the opinion of being outclassed or not  Whistle Also, given the expectations that some seemed to have of us in RCC, I think we would have to be top seeded team in the pool to stand a chance of achieving them.

Honestly, I do think we can take a lot of teams.  And I do not think we have anything to fear from any team in Europe.  However, I am also realistic and do think that there are time when our players have given so much in previous games that they have nothing left in the tank for the following games.  Next season it looks like we are trying to get a RCC class first team, and a high quality Pro12 side in place for when the internationals are away.  So hopefully we will be able to rotate a bit more and keep players fresher.

I'm not sure I follow you there? If you're saying what I think you're saying, then there's a reason we aren't in the RCC1, it's because we aren't good enough. Why are you going on about seeds? The way you improve your seedings is by getting more wins as opposed to getting zero. I'm not sure if league positioning is taken into account.

That's fair but it also seems like an odd point to make. You are aware that all teams play the same No. of games? Some play more if they reach the latter stages and play-offs. Your final points, yes it certainly does look that way. That's Pivac's influence. Scarlets have been more conservative since he came in, but that's got them more wins. I thought the attack was quite underwhelming though, no bonus points against the Italians, hence me mentioning it in an earlier post.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 4 May 2016 - 13:24

Scarlets have probably over performed this season with what is a pretty weak squad. The absence of the two Williams and the failure to replace Priestland has blunted their offensive game.
They should probably have beaten Saints in the first ECC game but they didn't and then got trounced by a very good Racing side which effectively ended their interest in the competition. A combination of atrocious luck with injuries and a shift in focus resulted in a whitewash this campaign.
If they can keep the bulk of their first team fit, then next season they should be stronger but still look to lack strength at second row, no8 and wing.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 4 May 2016 - 13:51

Seagultaf wrote: Scarlets have probably over performed this season with what is a pretty weak squad. The absence of the two Williams and the failure to replace Priestland has blunted their offensive game.
They should probably have beaten Saints in the first ECC game but they didn't and then got trounced by a very good Racing side which effectively ended their interest in the competition. A combination of atrocious luck with injuries and a shift in focus resulted in a whitewash this campaign.
If they can keep the bulk of their first team fit, then next season they should be stronger but still look to lack strength at second row, no8 and wing.

Two things that lead me to believe you're delusional. The bit in bold and the fact you rate Shingler as a fly-half.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 4 May 2016 - 14:07

mikey_dragon wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Well, I await the Dragons results in the RCC1 and then see if you share the opinion of being outclassed or not  Whistle Also, given the expectations that some seemed to have of us in RCC, I think we would have to be top seeded team in the pool to stand a chance of achieving them..

I'm not sure I follow you there? If you're saying what I think you're saying, then there's a reason we aren't in the RCC1, it's because we aren't good enough. Why are you going on about seeds? The way you improve your seedings is by getting more wins as opposed to getting zero. I'm not sure if league positioning is taken into account.

That's fair but it also seems like an odd point to make. You are aware that all teams play the same No. of games? Some play more if they reach the latter stages and play-offs. Your final points, yes it certainly does look that way. That's Pivac's influence. Scarlets have been more conservative since he came in, but that's got them more wins. I thought the attack was quite underwhelming though, no bonus points against the Italians, hence me mentioning it in an earlier post.

The seeding goes on where you qualify in the league. That is why we were bottom seeds, and quite rightly in a harder pool, with teams in there that were all better than us. And yes I was getting at what you thought. The Dragons didn't make it into the RCC because they were not good enough, and the Scarlets didn't pick up any wins in the pool because we were just not good enough. We had a chance against Glasgow, however it fell during our worst injury point when we lost Barclay and Cubby as well as the long term lads. And then I believe we actually prioritised the league (resting Parkes and DTH?) for the Glasgow at home game, as that would improve our seeding for this coming season.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 4 May 2016 - 15:05

Fair point SS, it sort of makes sense from that perspective although I'm still pretty disappointed for you. I think your team will be better next season, so good luck.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 4 May 2016 - 19:51

mikey_dragon wrote:
Seagultaf wrote: Scarlets have probably over performed this season with what is a pretty weak squad. The absence of the two Williams and the failure to replace Priestland has blunted their offensive game.

Two things that lead me to believe you're delusional. The bit in bold and the fact you rate Shingler as a fly-half.

The Scarlets have finished top Welsh region with a squad that is weaker than both Ospreys and Blues, so as I said over performed. They are now back to playing at the kind of level I expected, getting stuffed at home by Glasgow and Cardiff and scraping past a very poor Dragons.
As for Shingler, whilst I did not mention him in this post, I do feel he was potentially the best 10 at the Scarlets this season but he did not get the chance to prove it as he has spent the whole season injured. If Cardiff can get him fit I think he will be a good signing for them and may put pressure on Anscombe for the 10 shirt.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Wed 4 May 2016 - 22:24

Seagultaf wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

The Scarlets have finished top Welsh region with a squad that is weaker than both Ospreys and Blues, so as I said over performed. They are now back to playing at the kind of level I expected, getting stuffed at home by Glasgow and Cardiff and scraping past a very poor Dragons.
As for Shingler, whilst I did not mention him in this post, I do feel he was potentially the best 10 at the Scarlets this season but he did not get the chance to prove it as he has spent the whole season injured. If Cardiff can get him fit I think he will be a good signing for them and may put pressure on Anscombe for the 10 shirt.

There's no way that the Blues have a better squad than The Scarlets, no chance. The blues were the worst performing region last year and are currently third best this year. The Scarlets managed to compete during the two international Windows this year which is something the Ospreys failed to do which is why the Scarlets are the top Welsh region this year. However all regions are below the level of the Irish teams and Glasgow.

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 5 May 2016 - 0:17

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Well, Scarlets should be the best 3rd ranked team in Europe with those players. Even if they were 4th ranked next year, with the squad they have for next season there should be no excuses.

Have you ever tried to view the world without whose rose tinted glasses on?

Now now, Andy is always right. Everybody else is wrong. Everybody knows this. You need to chuck more unsubstantiated guff about SS!!

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Thu 5 May 2016 - 17:12

True Raven wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

There's no way that the Blues have a better squad than The Scarlets, no chance.  The blues were the worst performing region last year and are currently third best this year.  The Scarlets managed to compete during the two international Windows this year which is something the Ospreys failed to do which is why the Scarlets are the top Welsh region this year.  However all regions are below the level of the Irish teams and Glasgow.

If you take into account that Liam and Scott have been unavailable pretty much all season, of the backs only DTH and Cawdor would get into the Cardiff side and that's debatable. Up front there is not a lot between the front rows with Cardiff having the experience and Scarlets having the youth, but Warburton, Vosawi, Turnbull would all start for the Scarlets also Cardiff have 3 British Lions and the Scarlets none. The big difference is strength in depth with Cardiff having a much stronger squad overall. When the Scarlets have injuries they end up playing kids or journeymen, let's be honest they have been starting with Gareth Owen on the wing!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 5 May 2016 - 17:33

Seagultaf wrote:If you take into account that Liam and Scott have been unavailable pretty much all season, of the backs only DTH and Cawdor would get into the Cardiff side and that's debatable. Up front there is not a lot between the front rows with Cardiff having the experience and Scarlets having the youth, but Warburton, Vosawi, Turnbull would all start for the Scarlets also Cardiff have 3 British Lions and the Scarlets none. The big difference is strength in depth with Cardiff having a much stronger squad overall. When the Scarlets have injuries they end up playing kids or journeymen, let's be honest they have been starting with Gareth Owen on the wing!

That's a stretch, he hardly ever starts for the Blues.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Thu 5 May 2016 - 19:41

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:If you take into account that Liam and Scott have been unavailable pretty much all season, of the backs only DTH and Cawdor would get into the Cardiff side and that's debatable. Up front there is not a lot between the front rows with Cardiff having the experience and Scarlets having the youth, but Warburton, Vosawi, Turnbull would all start for the Scarlets also Cardiff have 3 British Lions and the Scarlets none. The big difference is strength in depth with Cardiff having a much stronger squad overall. When the Scarlets have injuries they end up playing kids or journeymen, let's be honest they have been starting with Gareth Owen on the wing!

That's a stretch, he hardly ever starts for the Blues.

I assume you are referring to Warburton, 8 games this season, which seeing it's a World Cup year that not bad.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Thu 5 May 2016 - 21:05

Seagultaf wrote:
True Raven wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

There's no way that the Blues have a better squad than The Scarlets, no chance.  The blues were the worst performing region last year and are currently third best this year.  The Scarlets managed to compete during the two international Windows this year which is something the Ospreys failed to do which is why the Scarlets are the top Welsh region this year.  However all regions are below the level of the Irish teams and Glasgow.

If you take into account that Liam and Scott have been unavailable pretty much all season, of the backs only DTH and Cawdor would get into the Cardiff side and that's debatable. Up front there is not a lot between the front rows with Cardiff having the experience and Scarlets having the youth, but Warburton, Vosawi, Turnbull would all start for the Scarlets also Cardiff have 3 British Lions and the Scarlets none. The big difference is strength in depth with Cardiff having a much stronger squad overall. When the Scarlets have injuries they end up playing kids or journeymen, let's be honest they have been starting with Gareth Owen on the wing!

The blues have such a greater squad they currently sit in 9th place and the last four seasons have finished 10th, 7th, 9th, 7th whereas the Scarlets have finished 6th, 6th, 4th, 5th. The blues haven't been close to being good since dai young was there

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 5 May 2016 - 21:19

In the Scarlets back line that have played most this season I think Collins, DTH, Parkes, and Cawdor would most likely be in the match day 23 for most other regions.

Likewise Rob, Ken, Samson, Ball, Cubby & Barclay would be involved in most rivals 23 man squad. Especially given the Blues desire to play Warburton and two other open sides, both Cubby and Barclay would slot straight in.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 6 May 2016 - 13:39

Scott is out for the Munster game with a hamstring injury.

Liam Williams 15. Simon Zebo
Gareth Owen 14. Andrew Conway
Steff Hughes 13. Francis Saili
Hadeigh Parkes 12. Rory Scannell
Steff Evans 11. Keith Earls
Steve Shingler 10. Johnny Holland
Aled Davies 9. Conor Murray
Rob Evans 1. Dave Kilcoyne
Ken Owens (capt) 2. Niall Scannell
Peter Edwards 3. Stephen Archer
Jake Ball 4. Dave Foley
David Bulbring 5. Billy Holland
Lewis Rawlins 6. Dave O'Callaghan
James Davies 7. Tommy O'Donnell
John Barclay 8. CJ Stander (capt)

Replacements
Ryan Elias 16. Mike Sherry
Dylan Evans 17. James Cronin
Rhodri Jones 18. John Ryan
Tom Price 19. Robin Copeland
Morgan Allen 20. Jack O'Donoghue
Gareth Davies 21. Duncan Williams
Aled Thomas 22. Ian Keatley
Michael Tagicakibau 23. Ronan O'Mahony

Unavailable through injury:
Emyr Phillips (knee)
Tom Williams (shoulder)
Aaron Shingler (concussion)
DTH van der Merwe (shoulder)
Samson Lee (concussion)
Mike Collins (hamstring)
Scott Williams (hamstring)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Sat 7 May 2016 - 13:38

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scarlets-legend-regan-king-links-11296940#rlabs=15%20rt$category%20p$3 wrote:Former Scarlets centre Regan King has confirmed he will link up with Jersey next season.

The ex All Blacks midfield man was released by the west Wales region at the end of this campaign and has moved to the Greene King IPA Championship side who play their league rugby in the English system.

“From playing Jersey in pre-season you could see there was a lot of potential and I believe the results this season back that up - being only two wins from making the play-offs was a significant achievement.

“I’m seeking to add something to the squad to help the club push on next season and am really looking forward to getting started.”

King, 35, played for Waikato Chiefs in his native New Zealand at the start of his professional career and represented the All Blacks against Wales in Cardiff in 2002, scoring a try in the 43-17 victory.

After a short spell with Stade Français he moved to Llanelli in 2005 and became a focal point of the Scarlets midfield.

After transferring to Clermont Auvergne in 2011 and playing more than 70 Top 14 and Heineken Cup games over the next three seasons, King returned to west Wales in 2014.

In total he has made more than 140 appearances for the Scarlets, scoring 35 tries, and last August he was named man-of-the-match after the pre-season fixture between Jersey and the Scarlets at St Peter.

Jersey’s head coach, Harvey Biljon, admitted he was thrilled to have clinched King’s signing.

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 7 May 2016 - 17:18

True Raven wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:
True Raven wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

The blues have such a greater squad they currently sit in 9th place and the last four seasons have finished 10th, 7th, 9th, 7th whereas the Scarlets have finished 6th, 6th, 4th, 5th.  The blues haven't been close to being good since dai young was there

Since Christmas Scarlets have won 6 and lost 7, Cardiff have won 9 and lost 4 and beaten Scarlets twice in that period. So based on current form, Cardiff are a significantly better side. If they can maintain this form next season, I expect them to be top Welsh region.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Tue 10 May 2016 - 9:39

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36250866 wrote:Martyn Williams believes uncapped Scarlets flanker James Davies deserves to be selected for Wales' tour of New Zealand next month.

Coach Warren Gatland names his squad on Tuesday, with open-side Justin Tipuric ruled out following a head injury.

Williams, Wales' most capped open-side, believes Davies, 25, has done enough to edge Cardiff Blues' Ellis Jenkins.

"I would give James Davies a go if I'm honest because over a 12 month period he's been so consistent," he said.

"It's a toss up between Ellis Jenkins and James Davies but [Davies] brings more as an attacking threat and I think he deserves to be in that squad."

British and Irish Lion Tipuric suffered a blow to the head in Wales' Six Nations match against Italy in March and is unlikely to play again until the 2016-17 season.

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Tue 10 May 2016 - 10:04

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scotland-include-scarlets-flanker-john-11307222 wrote:Scarlets flanker John Barclay has been named by Scotland head coach Vern Cotter has named a “tight” 27-man squad for this summer’s tour of Japan.

The only major omission from the travelling party which will play two Tests in Tokyo in June is Glasgow centre Mark Bennett, who is bidding for a place in Team GB’s Olympic sevens squad ahead of the Rio games.

The rest of the group is largely made up of the men who featured for Cotter’s side at last year’s World Cup and the RBS 6 Nations.

Scotland will play the first clash with the Brave Blossoms - their first full-cap international on Japanese soil - at the Toyota Stadium on June 18 before facing the 2019 World Cup hosts for a second time a week later at the Ajinomoto Stadium.

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 10 May 2016 - 21:30

Swiped from the official Facebook page

Diolch yn fawr iawn i'r chwaraewyr sy'n ymadael â ni, diolch am eich gwasanaeth ac am gynrychioli'r Scarlets gydag angerdd.

Big thanks to all players who are moving on this summer. Thanks for your service to the jersey.

Michael Collins, George Earle, Kieran Hardy, Phil John, Jack Jones, Rhodri Jones, Regan King, Kirby Myhill, Torin Myhill, Josh Lewis, Ben Leung, Connor Lloyd, Maselino Paulino, Jack Payne,
Harry Robinson, Steve Shingler, Michael Tagicakibau, Jordan Williams, Rhodri Williams
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Tue 17 May 2016 - 13:42

Eight Scarlets players have been selected to tour New Zealand. The squad also includes Jonathan Davies who will be returning to Llanelli for the 2016-2017 season*. Ex-Scarlets players Josh Turnbull, Rhys Priestland and George North have also been included in the squad. Aled Davies misses out after being included in the 2016 Six Nations squad. Scott Williams is back after missing the 2016 Six Nations through injury.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-reveal-squad-new-zealand-11310635 wrote:FORWARDS: Rob Evans (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Paul James (Ospreys) Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), James King (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester), Josh Turnbull (Cardiff Blues), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, capt).

BACKS: Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Priestland (Bath Rugby), Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne), Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons), Matthew Morgan (Bristol), Tom James (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Eli Walker (Ospreys), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

* http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/34783931

Last edited by international198 on Tue 17 May 2016 - 14:14; edited 1 time in total

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Tue 17 May 2016 - 14:07

Leicester Tigers have signed former Scarlets back rower Luke Hamilton from Agen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36311187

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 17 May 2016 - 14:11

international198 wrote:Leicester Tigers have signed former Scarlets back rower Luke Hamilton from Agen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36311187

Very former Scarlets back row.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 17 May 2016 - 14:13

international198 wrote:Eight Scarlets players have been selected to tour New Zealand. The squad also includes Jonathan Davies who will be returning to Llanelli for the 2016-2017 season*. Ex-Scarlets players Rhys Priestland and George North have also been included in the squad. Aled Davies misses out after being included in the 2016 Six Nations squad. Scott Williams is back after missing the 2016 Six Nations through injury.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-reveal-squad-new-zealand-11310635 wrote:FORWARDS: Rob Evans (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Paul James (Ospreys) Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), James King (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester), Josh Turnbull (Cardiff Blues), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, capt).

BACKS: Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Priestland (Bath Rugby), Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne), Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons), Matthew Morgan (Bristol), Tom James (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Eli Walker (Ospreys), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

For completeness shouldn't Turnbull be down as one of the ex-Scarlets too?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Tue 17 May 2016 - 14:15

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
international198 wrote:Eight Scarlets players have been selected to tour New Zealand. The squad also includes Jonathan Davies who will be returning to Llanelli for the 2016-2017 season*. Ex-Scarlets players Rhys Priestland and George North have also been included in the squad. Aled Davies misses out after being included in the 2016 Six Nations squad. Scott Williams is back after missing the 2016 Six Nations through injury.

For completeness shouldn't Turnbull be down as one of the ex-Scarlets too?

Yes, you're perfectly correct, he should be. I've now edited it. thumbsup

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 15 Jun 2016 - 8:46

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/news/11400.php#.V2EHvk32a70

Rugby's best kept secret, has now been made public. Honestly, I didn't have a clue this was going to happen.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 15 Jun 2016 - 10:02

ScarletSpiderman wrote:http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/news/11400.php#.V2EHvk32a70

Rugby's best kept secret, has now been made public.  Honestly, I didn't have a clue this was going to happen.
Nor me either SS.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 15 Jun 2016 - 11:00

That looks a bit like King in the picture? It's a shame it isn't Dom Day but a good addition to the Scarlets squad.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 28 Jun 2016 - 9:45

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/news/11474.php#.V3I4701TG70

Scarlets are pleased to announce that lock forward Tadhg Beirne is the latest addition to the region's pack for the forthcoming season.

Beirne, 24 from Co. Kildare, has this week arrived at the Scarlets from Irish province Leinster.

The promising young second row, who can also play in the back row, made his way through the age grade ranks at Leinster before being awarded with a place in the province's academy programme.

A British & Irish Cup winner with Leinster, in 2013, and a Leinster Schools Senior Cup medal winner with Clongowes Wood College, in 2010, the 6' 6" second row will bring ball playing capabilities as well as a physical presence to the Scarlets pack.

All four senior Leinster appearances have been against Welsh regions, including a cameo from the replacements bench in Leinster's victory over Scarlets in October 2015.

Beirne represented Leinster Under 19s and 20s before going on to make ten appearances for Ireland U20s, including representing his country at the World Rugby U20s Championship. He has also represented Ireland 7s.

Commenting on the news Scarlets General Manager of Rugby Jon Daniels said: "Tadhg is an exciting young talent who we hope will continue to develop and progress here at the Scarlets. He will add strength in depth to the back 5 of the pack.

"He has made a brave move to leave Ireland to pursue a new challenge and further his rugby career but he's an intelligent well rounded young man who I'm sure will thrive in our environment."

Beirne added; "I was particularly impressed with what the region has to offer in terms of facilities off the field here at Parc y Scarlets when I came over to meet Jon, Wayne and the team. Scarlets have a wealth of talent and were unlucky to miss out on a play-off place last season but I'm excited by the ambition and am really looking forward to getting pre-season underway."

Beirne is one of a number of new faces expected at the Scarlets ahead of the new season. Joining the region alongside Beirne will be Jonathan Davies, Rhys Patchell, Werner Kruger, Jonathan Evans, Rynier Bernardo, Dafydd Hughes and Shaun Evans as well as Johnny McNicholl who is due to arrive in the Autumn.

The following have also signed contract extensions ahead of the new campaign Aled Davies, Gareth Davies, James Davies, Emyr Phillips, Aaron Shingler, Scott Williams, John Barclay, Wyn Jones, Peter Edwards, Dylan Evans, Gareth Owen and Tom Williams.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next