The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys 2015/16 Season

+43
exile jack
Exiledinborders
Cyril
No9
Rugby Fan
Alex_Germany
nathan
Valleyboy
PenfroPete
Geordie
stub
Pot Hale
maestegmafia
yappysnap
clivemcl
Notch
eirebilly
Coleman
True Raven
2ndtimeround
Shifty
Seagultaf
thespreys
glamorganalun
mikey_dragon
wayne
VinceWLB
Cardiff Dave
whocares
ScarletSpiderman
GavinDragon
chris_501
Steffan
BamBam
rumpelstiltskindoh
bedfordwelsh
George Carlin
Luckless Pedestrian
SecretFly
Stone Motif
Breadvan
PhilBB
LordDowlais
47 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ospreys 2015/16 Season - Page 2 Empty Ospreys 2015/16 Season

Post by wayne Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

Never done one of these here before, yet cannot do any worse than last years idiot.
Head Coach Steve Tandy
Backs Coach Gruff Rees
Forwards Coach Chris Gibbes
Squad Alphabetically
TYLER ARDRON 24 Back Row                  Rhodri Hughes 20 Lock
Dimitri Arhip 26 Prop                              PAUL JAMES 33 Prop
Lloyd Ashley (Peers) 24 Lock                   AARON JARVIS 29 Prop
Dan Baker 23 Back Row                          Ben John 24 Centre
SCOTT BALDWIN 27 Hooker                    ALUN WYN JONES 29 Lock
Adam Beard 19 Lock                              JAMES KING 25 Back Row  
Joe Bearman 36 Back Row                      Brendon Leonard 30 S/H
Ashley Beck 25 Centre                            DAN LYDIATE 27 Back Row
Rynier Bernardo 24 Lock                         JOSH MATAVESI 24 Centre
Ryan Bevington 26 Prop                          Scott Otten 21 Hooker
DAN BIGGAR 25 OH                               Sam Parry 23 Hooker
Andrew Bishop 30 Centre                        Kristian Phillips 24 Wing
Jordan Collier 20 Back Row                     Martin Roberts 29 S/H
Olly Cracknell 21 Back Row                     Nicky Smith 21 Prop
Sam Davies 21 O/H                                Johnathon Spratt 29 Centre
Gareth Delve 32 Back Row                      De Kock Steenkamp 28 Lock
Hanno Dirksen 24 Wing                          Dan Suter 23 Prop
Mathew Dwyer 30 Hooker                       Gareth Thomas 23 Prop
Dan Evans 26 F/B                                  Marc Thomas 25 Prop
Lloyd Evans 24 Back Row                       Rory Thornton 20 Lock
Richard Fussell 31 F/B                            JUSTIN TIPURIC 26 Back Row  
Tom Grabham 24 Wing                           Eli Walker 23 Wing
Cai Griffiths 31 Prop                               RHYS WEBB 26 S/H
Tom Habberfield 23 S/H                         The following 2 are either temporary
JEFF HASSLER 24 Wing                          or with feeder clubs
Dafydd Howells 20 Wing                         Sam Underhill 19 Back Row
                                                           Oliver Tomaszczyk 28 Prop
The players in CAPITALS will not be available until after the first 3 games of the Guinness League due to WC call ups
The past 5 seasons we have finished 3, 5, 3, 3 and 4 at the end of the regular season, I envision us finishing around the same position this season.
We will also be without Bernardo and Suter for a while early season, we have recruited Tomaszczyk to cover Suter, Underhill came on as a substitute in the Saracens friendly and there were favourable reports about him. If we have injuries in a few key positions especially early season, that prophecy above could be out the window. There has been talk we have signed a T/H from NZ, who had a serious ankle ligament injury, we are still waiting on his rehab. It needs to be soon or we will have to rely on Jarvis, which is not a good thought.
Just to add we won our first 7 matches last season, against most peoples and my expectations, and it will be more of a shock to me if we win either of our first 2 matches this season. Too many missing through injury and International call ups.

Last edited by wayne on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add final paragraph)

wayne

Back to top Go down

Ospreys 2015/16 Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Ospreys 2015/16 Season

Post by wayne Sat 26 Sep 2015, 6:03 pm

Stone Motif wrote: furious
wayne wrote:Is it any wonder that we are the best supported Region, not only are we the cheapest to watch, today we have an offer that for every point Dan Biggar scores, that is the percentage that is reduced for ST holders and Members for any merchandise bought from the Club Shop for the 24 Hours after the match ends, either in person or online. Great offer

Sickening arrogance.
Just go back and support your little team, it needs all the help it can get

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 26 Sep 2015, 7:40 pm

wayne wrote:
Stone Motif wrote: furious
wayne wrote:Is it any wonder that we are the best supported Region, not only are we the cheapest to watch, today we have an offer that for every point Dan Biggar scores, that is the percentage that is reduced for ST holders and Members for any merchandise bought from the Club Shop for the 24 Hours after the match ends, either in person or online. Great offer

Sickening arrogance.
Just go back and support your little team, it needs all the help it can get

Club shop?
Anyway it aint fair. Cardiff aren't allowed to open up their shop.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 29 Sep 2015, 11:24 am

Great news today Josh Matavesi has signed for another 3 years, with people like Beck, John and Watkin to learn off him it augurs well for our future.
Added to my fantastic new shirt bought with a 33% reduction due to Dan Biggar's 23 points on Saturday with my automatic 10% for being a ST holder, a few good days for me.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 30 Sep 2015, 6:19 pm

wayne wrote:Great news today Josh Matavesi has signed for another 3 years, with people like Beck, John and Watkin to learn off him it augurs well for our future.
Added to my fantastic new shirt bought with a 33% reduction due to Dan Biggar's 23 points on Saturday with my automatic 10% for being a ST holder, a few good days for me.

You lot must be the most expensive supporters in Wales. Very Happy

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 30 Sep 2015, 9:56 pm

Confirmed from NZ, Highlanders prop Ma'afu Fia has signed for us and will be with us soon, still doing rehab work so wont be available straight away, around Christmas would do me just fine

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:29 am

wayne wrote:Confirmed from NZ, Highlanders prop Ma'afu Fia has signed for us and will be with us soon, still doing rehab work so wont be available straight away, around Christmas would do me just fine
The Ospreys have now confirmed this signing on their website, can't wait for him to be available and to get rid of some deadweight.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 05 Oct 2015, 12:29 pm

wayne wrote:
wayne wrote:Confirmed from NZ, Highlanders prop Ma'afu Fia has signed for us and will be with us soon, still doing rehab work so wont be available straight away, around Christmas would do me just fine
The Ospreys have now confirmed this signing on their website, can't wait for him to be available and to get rid of some deadweight.

Realistically speaking you need someone who can come in and do the job immediately, rather than carry another injured overseas signing. I've read that he also missed the S15 season in which the Highlanders won the competition - it seems a bit risky to me. I think he will come good but that will take time.

Who is the deadweight you're refering to?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 05 Oct 2015, 4:06 pm

Time for you to rename this thread "Ospreys 2015/2016 worst team in Wales" Laugh

It might be true this year!

Seriously you would have thought Ospreys management would have learned from the signing of Steenkamp that signing a player with injury issues isn't the brightest thing to do. At least they got rid of Morgan Allen.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 05 Oct 2015, 4:36 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Time for you to rename this thread "Ospreys 2015/2016 worst team in Wales" Laugh

It might be true this year!

Seriously you would have thought Ospreys management would have learned from the signing of Steenkamp that signing a player with injury issues isn't the brightest thing to do. At least they got rid of Morgan Allen.
You might be right Vince, he did miss most of the past S15 season, I think he was signed before that with the normal insurance for injuries issues covered, he was passed as recovered by first the surgeon who treated him and according to the Ospreys website by an Independent Surgeon recently, as it was shown with Steenkamp any injury could happen at any time, I don't know what you are alluding to but Steenkamp got injured AFTER he joined us, I'm not aware of anything serious before that.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 05 Oct 2015, 4:48 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
wayne wrote:

Realistically speaking you need someone who can come in and do the job immediately, rather than carry another injured overseas signing. I've read that he also missed the S15 season in which the Highlanders won the competition - it seems a bit risky to me. I think he will come good but that will take time.

Mikey, from the website and what a few have written on our Forum he should not be long playing, as I told Vince if you are referring to Steenkamp, I'm not aware of any injury issues with him, BEFORE he joined us, his serious injury from what I understand was in his third or fourth training session, that could happen at any time to anybody.
I don't like running down players especially our own, but if you watched our game last Friday you would have seen one of our replacements go straight down on contact in his very first scrum, the problem is NOT his, it is that he is being selected when he has shown over very many years he is not of the necessary standard for this League.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 05 Oct 2015, 4:51 pm

Wayne, i'm sure i read somewhere Steenkamp had history with injuries, here is his tweet from last season injury:

de kock steenkamp @dekocksteenkamp
Not the ideal start to the season,again... Thing can only go up from here #tornachillis #vasbyt

Which suggests to me he has had problems before.. It is also highly likely he got released early because of injury worries.

At least with Ma'afu Fia it can hardly be a worse case.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 05 Oct 2015, 6:33 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Wayne, i'm sure i read somewhere Steenkamp had history with injuries, here is his tweet from last season injury:

de kock steenkamp @dekocksteenkamp
Not the ideal start to the season,again... Thing can only go up from here #tornachillis #vasbyt

Which suggests to me he has had problems before.. It is also highly likely he got released early because of injury worries.

At least with Ma'afu Fia it can hardly be a worse case.
Vince, just read that tweet myself and can see where you get it from, BUT, if you read his Wikipedia page the last 2 or 3 seasons he played many times as replacement for both Bekker and Etzebeh, in both S15 and Currie Cup, it mentions nothing about serious injuries, all players miss matches for niggles.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 05 Oct 2015, 7:00 pm

wayne wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
wayne wrote:

Mikey, from the website and what a few have written on our Forum he should not be long playing, as I told Vince if you are referring to Steenkamp, I'm not aware of any injury issues with him, BEFORE he joined us, his serious injury from what I understand was in his third or fourth training session, that could happen at any time to anybody.
I don't like running down players especially our own, but if you watched our game last Friday you would have seen one of our replacements go straight down on contact in his very first scrum, the problem is NOT his, it is that he is being selected when he has shown over very many years he is not of the necessary standard for this League.

I also thought Steenkamp was carrying an injury upon his arrival, and Bernardo seemed to get injured at some point when he came in and miss all of the season. As for deadweight then I'm going assume you're referring to Suter and Griffiths, in which case I would have to agree with you. On the bright side; LH - James, Smith. Hooker, Baldwin, Otten. TH, Arhip, Fia. In the tight these guys will be backed up by AWJ and two SA locks, so going forward you could say that things look promising.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 05 Oct 2015, 7:29 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
wayne wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
wayne wrote:

I also thought Steenkamp was carrying an injury upon his arrival, and Bernardo seemed to get injured at some point when he came in and miss all of the season. As for deadweight then I'm going assume you're referring to Suter and Griffiths, in which case I would have to agree with you. On the bright side; LH - James, Smith. Hooker, Baldwin, Otten. TH, Arhip, Fia. In the tight these guys will be backed up by AWJ and two SA locks, so going forward you could say that things look promising.                                      
Mikey, Bernardo did get injured around Christmas last year, he even played a few games when he shouldn't have, but did finish the season very early to have an op and is just coming back, essentially at home in SA he was at a level below Steenkamp, but he is a good worker IMO. There is an excellent article on our forum by a contributor named Jason who has laid out our first, second and third choice players in all positions when all are available, you can add Thornton to the 2nd row you named above, the only problem is our season could be over before it really starts through our International call ups and injuries, we play Treviso away next and they will have all their Italian squad back and following that we have Connaught at home who have no International call ups, I can see us losing both those matches as well.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 08 Oct 2015, 8:16 am

One of the absolute true LEGENDS of Ospreys Rugby has had to announce his retirement today, Andrew Bishop played 209 times for us with also 16 Welsh appearances added on, only Duncan Jones has played more. Andrew has had 3 major back operations in the recent past to no avail, when we have all the so called stars around him he has been the glue that held them together. He jointly holds the appearance record for a season for us with 29 on 2 occasions and significantly we won the League on both occasions.
You will be sorely missed BISH.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 08 Oct 2015, 8:55 am

Sad to see him retiring, probably the first true legend of the regional game.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Oct 2015, 10:21 am

Sad to see that this morning. All the best to him for his future.

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 08 Oct 2015, 2:57 pm

Thanks SS and Rev, your remarks are most welcome.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 16 Oct 2015, 8:06 am

Even more bad news Nicky Smith got injured in the Edinburgh game and is out for around another 6 weeks, Steenkamp has picked up another injury and Ardron has had to have surgery after coming back from WC duty also injured, Hassler is also not available for the Treviso game after niggling injuries have been identified. Some good news is that Josh Matavesi is back and Tom Grabham will be playing this weekend, from Tandy's press conference it appears Gareth Delve will be in the 23 for this game.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 16 Oct 2015, 8:19 am

Matavesi has proven how important he is by the lack of any edge in the backs during his absence. Especially when you think Leonard is a very good scrum half, and Sam Davies is usually a good deputy for Biggar.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 16 Oct 2015, 10:06 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Matavesi has proven how important he is by the lack of any edge in the backs during his absence.  Especially when you think Leonard is a very good scrum half, and Sam Davies is usually a good deputy for Biggar.
You are o so right SS, also with the injuries to both Beck and John to put up with, because Spratt is so one dimensional and SLOW, we've had to put in youngsters like Watkin and Jenkins when they could have done with a bit of experience around them. I said it before the Edinburgh game that I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose the first 5 games. I presume Treviso will have their Italian WC players back, our only hope to avoid the 5 game losing streak is if Wales lose this weekend, and I wouldn't want to see that.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:35 pm

Team for this weekend
15 Fussell
14 Grabham
13 John
12 Matavesi
11Dirksen
10 Davies
9  Leonard
1 Bevington
2 Parry
3 Arhip
4 Ashley
5 Thornton
6 Bearman
7 Underhill
8 Baker
subs Otten G.Thomas, Griffiths, Bernardo, Delve, Habberfield, Spratt and Evans
18 players missing due to International Call ups, Services Rugby Call ups, or more significantly injuries
WHY? is Evans on the bench and Fussell starting. Really worried about our scrum options especially if Treviso play their Returning Internationals. Will be fortunate to have anything out of this game IMO.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 16 Oct 2015, 4:50 pm

wayne wrote:Even more bad news Nicky Smith got injured in the Edinburgh game and is out for around another 6 weeks, Steenkamp has picked up another injury and Ardron has had to have surgery after coming back from WC duty also injured, Hassler is also not available for the Treviso game after niggling injuries have been identified. Some good news is that Josh Matavesi is back and Tom Grabham will be playing this weekend, from Tandy's press conference it appears Gareth Delve will be in the 23 for this game.

Sorry to be a pain Wayne, but what a terrible signing he has been you would have been better of keeping Cavubatti and getting rid of him at the end of last season.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 17 Oct 2015, 3:37 pm

W.ell what a shock that was 25 - 22, 3 Tries all by backs, Evans, John and Sam Davies. Hope the injury to Dirksen is not too serious

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun 18 Oct 2015, 8:10 pm

Good to see the Ospreys pick up a win, and run in a few tries. Hopefully they can kick kick on from here. The early loses may have been a set back, but if I remember correctly they won the league before after having a real dire start.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 18 Oct 2015, 10:01 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Good to see the Ospreys pick up a win, and run in a few tries.  Hopefully they can kick kick on from here.  The early loses may have been a set back, but if I remember correctly they won the league before after having a real dire start.
I don't think we have lost 3 successive games at the start of the season and gone on to win the League, we did lose 2 of the first 4 and go on and succeed, with a few of the Welsh boys back, hopefully we can get back to where we want to be.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 19 Oct 2015, 7:47 am

Was it only 2 from 4? I remember the way they were talking at the time it was all doom and gloom.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 19 Oct 2015, 10:39 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Was it only 2 from 4?  I remember the way they were talking at the time it was all doom and gloom.
Yes 9/10 season we won away at Connaught and then lost 2 successive home games against Leinster and Ulster and then we won away at Glasgow, so not a very auspicious start and it all came good in the end, I hope something similar is about to happen. On a side note what a good start you have had, personally apart from a little bit of banter I want ALL 4 WELSH teams to do well.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 19 Oct 2015, 10:58 am

That is pretty similar to this start really. One win which was to be expected (Treviso in this case) and a few lost that are against top four rivals (Ulster, Munster). So ignoring that the loss to Edinburgh, its not far off. Add to that it being a RWC year, I exepct four of the sides outside of the top four (at the moment) to be there or there abouts come the end of the season.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 19 Oct 2015, 1:46 pm

I think it was 2/3 years ago we started the season terribly, went to the unbeaten Scarlets in the derby and won. Play a similar team v Connacht, then bring the big guns back..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 19 Oct 2015, 2:01 pm

Breadvan wrote:I think it was 2/3 years ago we started the season terribly, went to the unbeaten Scarlets in the derby and won. Play a similar team v Connacht, then bring the big guns back..

Not quite unbeaten, we had lost to Treviso in the opening round because Martin Roberts dropped the ball on the line (which would have been a bonus point win, instead of just the lone losing bonus point). But it was definitely a kicking on point for you boys, and sadly a kick in the gonads point for us (think we fell apart after that for a bit).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 19 Oct 2015, 3:34 pm

Breadvan wrote:I think it was 2/3 years ago we started the season terribly, went to the unbeaten Scarlets in the derby and won. Play a similar team v Connacht, then bring the big guns back..
Why wouldn't we play King, Walker and Jarvis next week, although with the latter only on the bench, none of those have had much Rugby and should be in TOP condition, some of the others NEED a decent rest.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 19 Oct 2015, 3:48 pm

Yeh I agree wayne...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 21 Oct 2015, 11:05 am

Interview with Ma'afu Fia posted on our website this morning, he arrived in Ospreylia this week and said his rehab should take another 2 to 4 weeks, although that is down to the Physios, according to his statistics 5' 11 and 114Kg seems a bit small for a T/H to me, although I've seen videos of him giving Tony Woodcock a hard time, if he fetches that form to us I would be more than happy, I just wish he was available sooner.
Hopefully King, Walker and to a lesser degree Jarvis is available for this weekend against Connaught, hopefully we can put out something like this.
Evans, Walker, John, Matavesi, Grabham, Davies, Leonard, Bevington, Parry, Arhip, Peers/ King, Thornton, Bearman/ King, Underhill, Baker with Thomas, Otten, Jarvis, (wish it was Fia) Bernardo, Bearman, Habberfield, Spratt, Fussell wish this was Dirksen but it appears he is injured again.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 23 Oct 2015, 2:50 pm

wayne wrote:Interview with Ma'afu Fia posted on our website this morning, he arrived in Ospreylia this week and said his rehab should take another 2 to 4 weeks, although that is down to the Physios, according to his statistics 5' 11 and 114Kg seems a bit small for a T/H to me, although I've seen videos of him giving Tony Woodcock a hard time, if he fetches that form to us I would be more than happy, I just wish he was available sooner.
Hopefully King, Walker and to a lesser degree Jarvis is available for this weekend against Connaught, hopefully we can put out something like this.
Evans, Walker, John, Matavesi, Grabham, Davies, Leonard, Bevington, Parry, Arhip, Peers/ King, Thornton, Bearman/ King, Underhill, Baker with Thomas, Otten, Jarvis, (wish it was Fia) Bernardo, Bearman, Habberfield, Spratt, Fussell wish this was Dirksen but it appears he is injured again.
Wasn't far out with the Team Fussell is F/B and King is blindside, the differences are on the bench Paul James is at l/h and Tips makes an extra back row with only 2 backs selected there Habberfield and Evans, how Evans is behind Fussell is beyond me.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 26 Oct 2015, 6:19 am

what is going on at the one true region? I haven't seen the games but results certainly don't seem to be going your way. Granted, you have Alun Wyn and Biggar to come back, but you have coped well without them in the past?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 26 Oct 2015, 2:58 pm

I'll reserve judgement until the majority are back and have played a game for Ospreys together - but so far the results for them are the worst I've seen in a while.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 27 Oct 2015, 10:05 am

Fuss needs to retire or move on. Sam Davies is too lightweight and his kicking is poor, from the tee and in open play. We improved in attack slightly due to Josh coming back but are still lacklustre. The Ospreys will get better when the Wales players return but it'll be because of them , not improvements from the coaching staff.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 27 Oct 2015, 4:13 pm

Breadvan wrote:Fuss needs to retire or move on. Sam Davies is too lightweight and his kicking is poor, from the tee and in open play.  We improved in attack slightly due to Josh coming back but are still lacklustre. The Ospreys will get better when the Wales players return but it'll be because of them , not improvements from the coaching staff.
Breadvan, I made my views on Fussell being selected ahead of Evans, both before and after this match, it is not his fault he's getting selected that is down to Tandy, there is always vitriol targeted towards Cai Griffiths whenever he is selected in a first team squad, again it is not down to him, he was released by us and IIRC went to London Irish and had very little game time there and we still brought him back, defies logic in my eyes, as for your comments on Sam, I totally disagree, he had a poor game on Saturday from the tee, and if he had kicked the goals that were eminently kickable we would have won that game, which we wouldn't have deserved IMO, as for his kicking out of hand it is normally outstanding, what was unfortunate for Sam was when he missed some of those kicks, he was trying to do too much which didn't come off, he will learn from these mistakes or at least he should and he will be a better player for it.
Somebody on our board has just made a comment that there were only 2 definite first team starting forwards, that started that game Arhip and Baker, I personally don't agree with that as going by this years performances Thornton and King could be first choices, if they are back we'll have a decent pack, and the talk is a lot of them will be available for this weekend.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 03 Nov 2015, 2:57 pm

De Kock Steenkamp has left us by mutual agreement, after signing for us, for the start of the 14/15 season, he ruptured his achilles in his first week of training and thereby completely missed last season, after completing rehab and a full early season training, he suffered another injury in his 3rd match for us, it was a hip injury, which required surgery that was completed over the weekend, as there is no expectation that he will make much of a contribution this season, this unfortunate episode has come to a sad end for both parties.

As someone who had the pleasure of talking to De Kock on a couple of occasions, he came across as extremely affable and was willing to give of his time very generously.

Good luck for the future De Kock.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 03 Nov 2015, 2:59 pm

That's very unfortunate, but surely Ospreys could have kept him on so he could at least see out his original contract. You can't just cast aside one of your injured players!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 03 Nov 2015, 4:09 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:That's very unfortunate, but surely Ospreys could have kept him on so he could at least see out his original contract. You can't just cast aside one of your injured players!
They haven't just cast him aside as you put it, because of the injury and the operation he had over the weekend, he will play very little or none for the rest of this season, he cannot even travel home for a while, it is a mutual decision for the betterment of both parties, there is obviously Insurance issues involved, so what is the point of making him stay over the winter doing rehab and probably ,not playing again for us, as primarily he was on a 2 year contract with an option of an extra one

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 03 Nov 2015, 4:10 pm

I said it at least a couple of time but it was a terrible signing to begin with, probably as bad as 36 years old Chris Halaufia to Scarlets. Ospreys were well aware (at least i hope so) of Steenkamp injury issues. And it was telling when at the end of last season he was fully fit but still they refused to play him. The poor lad is made of glass which is unheard of for a saffer.

Are Ospreys going to sign someone else?

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 03 Nov 2015, 4:27 pm

VinceWLB wrote:I said it at least a couple of time but it was a terrible signing to begin with, probably as bad as 36 years old Chris Halaufia to Scarlets. Ospreys were well aware (at least i hope so) of Steenkamp injury issues. And it was telling when at the end of last season he was fully fit but still they refused to play him. The poor lad is made of glass which is unheard of for a saffer.

Are Ospreys going to sign someone else?
Vince, I told you at the time, there were NO injury issues before he joined us, he was deputising for the likes of Etzebeh and I think Becker, when they came back from injuries he was down onto the bench at best, he suffered his achilles injury on his 3rd morning of training with us, and funnily enough the hip injury was in his 3rd competitive game for us, I was the person that put on here that he was fit, that was because he actually told me in one of our conversations together, there is a difference between a player saying he is fit and the physios doing something that was for the betterment of both parties, after De kock told me that, he was on the injured list on our site until the end of the season.
Hopefully we will spend some of the saved money on both him and Andrew Bishop on a couple of decent players, because by god do we need some.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 03 Nov 2015, 4:45 pm

Interesting read on our board about the season so far under Tandy Wayne...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 03 Nov 2015, 4:59 pm

Breadvan wrote:Interesting read on our board about the season so far under Tandy Wayne...
 Breadvan, I have a different username on there, and have contributed to that topic quite a lot, have a guess what my username is and you'll see what my stance is.
Come back and let me know
Anyway all the best

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 03 Nov 2015, 5:06 pm

If it's insurance related then yeah, maybe it is for the best. It just reminded me of Blues vs Ben Blair for a moment.
What's the view on the Ospreys forum on Tandy and his team's start to this season?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 03 Nov 2015, 5:25 pm

I rarely post wayne but I'm Boomhauer on there.
mikey...its basically no balance in the squad, especially at the scrum. Why he's picking certain players over others (eg Ashley over Bernado) Does he need a DOR above him, time to go etc...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 03 Nov 2015, 5:37 pm

Found it baffling at the time but now it's even more glaring, why was Delve signed (with Ardron and Baker being 2 excellent options) when the investment should obviously have been made elsewhere. I'm pretty sure you would have got Fijian tighthead Manasa Saulo as well as Cavubatti with Delve's money.

Anyway, lost of work to do for you lads, hope you can show in Europe what you are really capable of.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 03 Nov 2015, 6:18 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:If it's insurance related then yeah, maybe it is for the best. It just reminded me of Blues vs Ben Blair for a moment.
What's the view on the Ospreys forum on Tandy and his team's start to this season?
It has to be insurance related Mikey, as Vince has alluded to it has freed up some money and some strengthening needs to be done ASAP. Read what I answer to Breadvan below.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next