The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Day 4 - Anyone coming to my Haase (or even Mahut) for a Knapp? (Everybody Wang Chung tonight)

+20
sportslover
kingraf
summerblues
temporary21
HM Murdock
It Must Be Love
CaledonianCraig
Johnyjeep
LuvSports!
banbrotam
Jahu
greengoblin
Aut0Gr4ph
barrystar
bogbrush
seanmichaels
Guest82
sirfredperry
Born Slippy
JuliusHMarx
24 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

US Open Day 4 - Anyone coming to my Haase (or even Mahut) for a Knapp? (Everybody Wang Chung tonight) Empty US Open Day 4 - Anyone coming to my Haase (or even Mahut) for a Knapp? (Everybody Wang Chung tonight)

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 3 Sep - 10:21

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22713811

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 4 - Anyone coming to my Haase (or even Mahut) for a Knapp? (Everybody Wang Chung tonight) Empty Re: US Open Day 4 - Anyone coming to my Haase (or even Mahut) for a Knapp? (Everybody Wang Chung tonight)

Post by Born Slippy Thu 3 Sep - 10:56

Chung v Wawrinka the stand-out match for me. Haven't seen Chung play yet but hopefully he might give Stan a decent game.

Tomic v Hewitt could also be decent although I suspect Lleyton may struggle to keep it competitive after the first set or so.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 4 - Anyone coming to my Haase (or even Mahut) for a Knapp? (Everybody Wang Chung tonight) Empty Re: US Open Day 4 - Anyone coming to my Haase (or even Mahut) for a Knapp? (Everybody Wang Chung tonight)

Post by sirfredperry Thu 3 Sep - 11:18

B Slippy. I'm taking Hewitt to win in his last USO, although logic and form would suggest Tomic. I was rather hoping that Baggy would come through to face Fed. Have them met in a Slam since the Aussie final all those years ago?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Thu 3 Sep - 11:23

Born Slippy wrote:Chung v Wawrinka the stand-out match for me. Haven't seen Chung play yet but hopefully he might give Stan a decent game.

Tomic v Hewitt could also be decent although I suspect Lleyton may struggle to keep it competitive after the first set or so.

Saw Chung play live at Wimbledon (lost to Herbert) - don't think he's ready to beat Stan yet.

Tomic should roll Lleyton over fairly easily I'd think. Tomic in 3 or 4.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 3 Sep - 11:45

I am expecting big things from Berdych this week. I've always felt he had the game for the slams but he has matured into the allround athlete this last 12 months.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 3 Sep - 11:52

seanmichaels wrote:I am expecting big things from Berdych this week. I've always felt he had the game for the slams but he has matured into the allround athlete this last 12 months.
Yeah, but his kit was absurd in R1.

PS He has zero chance of winning this.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 3 Sep - 12:01

Day-glo lime green seems to be the colour of choice for the ladies this year. I blame Agassi.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu 3 Sep - 12:23

I can't see Berdych beating Fed. I know he has the type of power game which caused Fed problems in the past but I just don't think he will be able to engineer any breaks. Best I can see is him grabbing a set on a tiebreak.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 3 Sep - 12:31

sirfredperry wrote:B Slippy. I'm taking Hewitt to win in his last USO, although logic and form would suggest Tomic. I was rather hoping that Baggy would come through to face Fed. Have them met in a Slam since the Aussie final all those years ago?

Them have not met in a slam since 2006, them last met twice in 2010, when it was one apiece, Baghdatis taking his only win off Federer in the 7-1 H2H winning a deciding tie-breaker after 3 tight sets at Indian Wells. Baghdatis has not really built on his early promise, perhaps he has over-revelled in his exploits making him a super-celebrity in a small community without needing to do more. Anyway, he is great to watch when on song.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Thu 3 Sep - 12:39

Them's some mighty fine stats!

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by greengoblin Thu 3 Sep - 14:39

I've never understood why Fed has had problems with Berdych. I would think that Fed's heavy slice would cause the big man problems, and Tomas' backhand is pretty much on a par with Tsonga's.

greengoblin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Thu 3 Sep - 14:46

greengoblin wrote:I've never understood why Fed has had problems with Berdych. I would think that Fed's heavy slice would cause the big man problems, and Tomas' backhand is pretty much on a par with Tsonga's.

You think? I think Berdych has a pretty solid all-round game. His problem is in his head.

With a bit of mental strength he could have won a slam or two.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu 3 Sep - 15:24

Berdych's backhand is far superior to Jo's and he gets down reasonably well to slice. He is also a better returner. Tend to agree its mainly mentally he lets himself down a bit.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 3 Sep - 15:26

Maybe apart from Stan, no one hits the ball cleaner and more powerful then Berdy.

Ignoring his nasty t-shirts and his weak brain (but not his GF), he should of gotten by now a few GS.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by greengoblin Thu 3 Sep - 15:44

Jahu wrote:Maybe apart from Stan, no one hits the ball cleaner and more powerful then Berdy.

Ignoring his nasty t-shirts and his weak brain (but not his GF), he should of gotten by now a few GS.

oh come on, his movements poor and his backhand's mediocre. Plus he finds it difficult to hit DTL forehand. Jo wilfried is much more talented but he made a big mistake of having a double handed backhanded which he is clearly uncomfortable with. His one handed backhand he reverts to on passing shots looks a much more natural shot for him.

greengoblin

Back to top Go down

Post by greengoblin Thu 3 Sep - 15:46

Guest82 wrote:
greengoblin wrote:I've never understood why Fed has had problems with Berdych. I would think that Fed's heavy slice would cause the big man problems, and Tomas' backhand is pretty much on a par with Tsonga's.

You think?  I think Berdych has a pretty solid all-round game.  His problem is in his head.  

With a bit of mental strength he could have won a slam or two.  

I agree mental strength is an issue but there are other issues imo. He doesn't get as much out of his serve as he should do. His movement's poor compared to say a Cillic.

greengoblin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 3 Sep - 15:53

gg, sure, but he has enough power and clean hitting to have done some damage in GS for last 10 years or so.

Waste of talent, not that I ever liked him.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Thu 3 Sep - 15:55

Tsonga is one of those players who will always blow hot and cold. When hot he can be very hot, but when cold....

Berdych maybe isn't a great mover, whilst not Djokovic, he moves reasonably well for a big man. As said above, hits the ball cleaner than most. Has a big forehand, good serve etc.

Just falls apart when it matters.

I suspect his lack of variety doesn't help him either.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 3 Sep - 16:09

..also a sexy GF, sucks too much energy out of you.

See Dimi, fallen to the ground the moment he started sucking on Sugar.

Those who have ugly GF, are successful, as it takes very little to make ugly people happy, fact.

(take this from an expert Laugh)
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by greengoblin Thu 3 Sep - 16:33

Jahu wrote:..also a sexy GF, sucks too much energy out of you.

See Dimi, fallen to the ground the moment he started sucking on Sugar.

Those who have ugly GF, are successful, as it takes very little to make ugly people happy, fact.

(take this from an expert Laugh)

lol is that what happened to coria?

greengoblin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 3 Sep - 16:48

Coria found out his wife cheated him with one his coaches.

Now I don't have the info did he see them Live and started crying and went to a Bar and got drunk, or joined in bed for a 3some Laugh

please stop this erotics talk, before I lose control laughing
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 3 Sep - 17:10

Jahu wrote:gg, sure, but he has enough power and clean hitting to have done some damage in GS for last 10 years or so.

Waste of talent, not that I ever liked him.

But it's a mistake to think that "power and clean hitting" gets you anywhere, in terms of winning Masters / Slams.

I can't think of any slam winners that weren't either great movers with lots of variety or had the latter but a signature shot up their sleeve, i.e. Stan

Berdych has none of these

I'm always perplexed as to why he gets shouted up, say more than Ferrer, who at least spent a few years in the Top 5. It's probably because fans get seduced by power, but it's nothing without a good return game (at least)

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 3 Sep - 17:21

Agree power seduces, we all want to see winers and power hitter, with a little mix up of other shots and skills.

But Berdy was quite good and stable a few years, not top 5 quality but at least within top 10 many years now.

Ferrer at least knows what he lacks and makes it up with hard hard work, but no one ever thought he could win a GS.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 3 Sep - 18:16

Berd had a fear factor playing Novak and Rafa. He didn't have that with Feds and Murray for some reason.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 3 Sep - 18:16

Jahu all you want to see is a booty you can dine out on all night long! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 3 Sep - 18:27

LK, I'm sure you will not refuse them either (anonymously), Mr.Morality Laugh
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 3 Sep - 18:30

Jahu I am an exemplary example of how to conduct's one's urges and not blow my load on the forum! Laugh

You'll do good in my stead Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Thu 3 Sep - 21:47

No one watching Murray? I'm restricted to BBC text updates...sounds as though he's really struggling? Dam Eurosports cheap (but admittedly live) coverage! I assume they haven't got the rights to any male top 4 matches. I'm watching Bedene Young

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 3 Sep - 21:48

Johnyjeep wrote:No one watching Murray? I'm restricted to BBC text updates...sounds as though he's really struggling? Dam Eurosports cheap (but admittedly live) coverage! I assume they haven't got the rights to any male top 4 matches. I'm watching Bedene Young

I am watching. His first serve is very good but not sure what is up with his return game as it has been poor by his standards. Credit to Mannerino though - very solid.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 3 Sep - 21:52

Mannerino looks far more skilful than Murray, which to my mind is testament to how he has blunted that aspect of his game.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 3 Sep - 21:56

Mannerino breaks to serve for the second set. Murray's return game awful. Playing like this he isn't going to challenge here - he needs something to change now as I don't see even him coming from two sets down in these stifling conditions.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 3 Sep - 21:56

Faster conditions helping the shotmaker?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Thu 3 Sep - 21:57

Mannerino serving for a 2 set to love lead!

Can anyone explain why Bedene switched allegiance in terms of nationality? He can't play for our Davis Cup team. So what's in it for him? Some funds? Just wondering. He looks what he is to be honest. Just solid. Never going to pull up trees.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 3 Sep - 21:58

Mannerino two sets up bb that will please you.

As for Murray this could be about to go down as his worst slam defeat of his career as I struggle to think of a worse one so early in a tournament.

There was the opening round in the Australian Open against Tsonga but he did go on to reach the final that year.

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Thu 3 Sep - 22:02; edited 1 time in total
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 3 Sep - 22:01

CaledonianCraig wrote:Mannerino two sets up bb that will please you.

As for Murray this could be about to go down as his worst slam defeat of his career as I struggle to think of a worse one so early in a tournament.
i don't dislike him, he's just become such a labouring player.

Last edited by bogbrush on Thu 3 Sep - 22:01; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Thu 3 Sep - 22:01

Surely Mannarino will choke this away. He's got the letters FRA after his surname after all.

Last edited by Johnyjeep on Thu 3 Sep - 22:04; edited 1 time in total

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 3 Sep - 22:04

He's trying to double fault it now.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 3 Sep - 22:08

bogbrush wrote:

No I mean for Fed's prospects. Murray even if he does complete a remarkable comeback is going to be drained. Pretty abject stuff this from Murray but Mannerino playing great.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 3 Sep - 22:09

Damn, the Colonel on his way out.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 3 Sep - 22:10

CaledonianCraig wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

No I mean for Fed's prospects. Murray even if he does complete a remarkable comeback is going to be drained. Pretty abject stuff this from Murray but Mannerino playing great.
Oh right. Maybe, though I don't believe Djokovic or Murray can get tired out of a tournament (nit totally serious but....).
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 3 Sep - 22:11

I've never played tennis in my life but as a long time spectator I can see the problem. Murray's playing far too far back behind the baseline. He should be the one further up - pretty depressing really to watch.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 3 Sep - 22:15

Anymore news on Jack Sock who fainted on court earlier on?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 3 Sep - 22:17

Murray has probably turned the match around with that consolidated break - Mannarino may stop believing and Murray can rely upon so much more experience than him.

Even if that is correct, a 5-set 2nd round win in 30+ degrees and high humidity is not the cleverest way to plan a Grand Slam campaign.

Last edited by barrystar on Thu 3 Sep - 22:18; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : remove notification on reply)
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 3 Sep - 22:19

barrystar wrote:

Even if that is correct, a 5-set 2nd round win in 30+ degrees and high humidity is not the cleverest way to plan a Grand Slam campaign.

Totally agree.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 3 Sep - 22:23

Depends if Mannarino makes them competitive.

Petchey really is the most tediously fanzone commentator. Can't there be objective analysis?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 3 Sep - 22:26

bogbrush wrote:Depends if Mannarino makes them competitive.

Petchey really is the most tediously fanzone commentator. Can't there be objective analysis?

Well I'd say he's already done that by winning the first two sets. Even if Murray streaks through the remainder of the match it will still be a 3 hours plus match following up almost three hours V Kyrgios.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 3 Sep - 22:26

Mannarino gassed now.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 3 Sep - 22:29

Murray takes the third set 6-1. Still I can't see him threatening the big guns on this form/game plan.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Thu 3 Sep - 22:33

Just started watching now.

Bogbrush, is Murray playing better than Nadal did yesterday ?

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 3 Sep - 22:37

It Must Be Love wrote:Just started watching now.

Bogbrush, is Murray playing better than Nadal did yesterday ?
Hmmmm

No, not better. More to his game though.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next