Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Sun 06 Sep 2015, 11:22 pm

Was wondering whether anyone else on V2 has had a go at "Parkrun". It's a 5k run every Saturday morning at 0900 in parks or other similar venues. It's free and is organised by volunteers. There's loads of venues all over England and in several other countries as well.  It's not really a race, other than you against yourself, you can see all your timings on line, including how fast you are for your age group, and (if applicable Wink ) how much you've improved week on week. Many venues have several hundred people of all ages taking part.  I'm *ahem* well into middle age, and was completely unathletic. But my daughter got me started and now I take part nearly every week.

Corporalhumblebucket

Posts : 6735
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Day's march from Surrey

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by guildfordbat on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 12:02 am

Corporal - ... and to think I thought you turned down a second pint at the Oval last week for a cup of tea because you were cold! Very Happy

Hadn't heard of this. Sounds good, what's not to like?! thumbsup

guildfordbat

Posts : 10289
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by lfc91 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 8:30 am

Been down to my local one about 6/7 times over the past year. Really enjoy it, would do it more except I'm too lazy to get out of bed before 8 on a Saturday! Great event for new runners because it literally is all abilities taking part.(At my local 17 minutes will usually win it with times of around 50 mins at the other end). Great fun, however not great on the ego when you are 24 and see kids of 10-11 and people of 60+ ahead of you on the results page!!

lfc91

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by TopHat24/7 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:00 am

It seems a very fun & casual affair. Take it as serious as you like kind of thing.

I've seen dads on the Finsbury Park one running whilst pushing a pushchair round the course!!

9am is a bit early for me though, 10am for military fitness in FP was bad enough, but they have to do it that early as the race 'event' needs to be over and out the way by 10am as park visitor numbers start to pick up.

5km is a nice distance though. 20-30 mins for the vast majority of people. And is normally the perfect/most common target for 'Sofa to X km' personal challenges. A number of mates are doing that at the moment.

TopHat24/7

Posts : 16953
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 33
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by TopHat24/7 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:05 am

lfc91 wrote:Been down to my local one about 6/7 times over the past year. Really enjoy it, would do it more except I'm too lazy to get out of bed before 8 on a Saturday! Great event for new runners because it literally is all abilities taking part.(At my local 17 minutes will usually win it with times of around 50 mins at the other end). Great fun, however not great on the ego when you are 24 and see kids of 10-11 and people of 60+ ahead of you on the results page!!

LFC

I first got into running last autumn and, when visiting my 60 yr old in Florida, took part in my first 'race' in November - 5k in Siesta Key, Sarasota.

I bust a gut on the flat course, tried really hard, and got a new PB of 27m37s - my Uncle did it in 23 mins!!

Even now I've got fitter and quicker I still have to push it to get under 25 mins! Lol

TopHat24/7

Posts : 16953
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 33
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Stella on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:18 am

I don't know of any round our way? Went for a 8 mile run this morning, at around 5.00. 9ish is a bit late for me, as the kids are then awake, and needing attention.
avatar
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by lfc91 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:43 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:It seems a very fun & casual affair. Take it as serious as you like kind of thing.

I've seen dads on the Finsbury Park one running whilst pushing a pushchair round the course!!

9am is a bit early for me though, 10am for military fitness in FP was bad enough, but they have to do it that early as the race 'event' needs to be over and out the way by 10am as park visitor numbers start to pick up.

5km is a nice distance though.  20-30 mins for the vast majority of people. And is normally the perfect/most common target for 'Sofa to X km' personal challenges. A number of mates are doing that at the moment.

Funny you should mention that, on my first visit I got passed by a guy pushing a pram with 2 kids in it….one of the kids was dressed as spiderman! Was a surreal experience. Although it did give me the kick up the backside to run faster so as not to get beaten by a guy with a pram!! Subsequently found out that the guy in question was an 18 minute man without the pram and usually about 22 with it.
Would recommend it to anyone.(Just as long as you can find the time and energy!).

lfc91

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by lfc91 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:45 am

Stella wrote:I don't know of any round our way? Went for a 8 mile run this morning, at around 5.00. 9ish is a bit late for me, as the kids are then awake, and needing attention.

Shouldn't be too hard to find just a google search of your local area. They are cropping up all over Belfast/NI. My longterm goal is to visit all of the Parkruns in and around Belfast area.

lfc91

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Hero on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:47 am

My wife often goes and does it, well she nips out for an hour and comes back all hot and sweaty so I'm guessing that's where she's gone.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Posts : 24297
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 40
Location : Work toilet

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by incontinentia on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 1:50 pm

This looks like a great event, I am so signing up! Thanks Corporalhumblebucket thumbsup
avatar
incontinentia

Posts : 3202
Join date : 2012-01-06
Location : Ireland

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by lfc91 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 2:04 pm

incontinentia wrote:This looks like a great event, I am so signing up! Thanks Corporalhumblebucket thumbsup

So wierd for me now when i find out people don't know about parkrun, but it was going on in my local park for 3 years before I joined and I had no idea!! Parkrun is a bit like fightclub...

lfc91

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Stella on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 2:09 pm

lfc91 wrote:
incontinentia wrote:This looks like a great event, I am so signing up! Thanks Corporalhumblebucket thumbsup

So wierd for me now when i find out people don't know about parkrun, but it was going on in my local park for 3 years before I joined and I had no idea!! Parkrun is a bit like fightclub...

Less painful!
avatar
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by lfc91 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 2:12 pm

Tell that to my legs after an event!!

lfc91

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Stella on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 2:19 pm

Should you speaking about it?
avatar
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by TopHat24/7 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 2:19 pm

No sympathy from me - am running the Great North Run half marathon this weekend!!

My training runs have gone up to 18km and left me walking like John Wayne for the rest of the day, so god knows what the real thing will be like!!

TopHat24/7

Posts : 16953
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 33
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Stella on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 2:21 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:No sympathy from me - am running the Great North Run half marathon this weekend!!

My training runs have gone up to 18km and left me walking like John Wayne for the rest of the day, so god knows what the real thing will be like!!

Good luck. I done the South version a few years ago, but that was only 10 miles.
avatar
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by lfc91 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 2:29 pm

Fair play. Never ran more than 10K in any single run. Mainly just because I have no desire to run any competitive races further than that distance in the next year or 2.

lfc91

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by incontinentia on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 2:30 pm

What's everyone's best times? I physically could break 20 mins but unfortunately I am embarrassingly weak mentally. I think my best actual time is 23 or 24 mins, with walk breaks
avatar
incontinentia

Posts : 3202
Join date : 2012-01-06
Location : Ireland

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Stella on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 2:33 pm

incontinentia wrote:What's everyone's best times? I physically could break 20 mins but unfortunately I am embarrassingly weak mentally. I think my best actual time is 23 or 24 mins, with walk breaks

For 5k?

Probably around 27 minutes, though I only started running long(ish) distance when I finished playing Football, so I was arguably past my peak, as far as fitness is concerned.
avatar
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by incontinentia on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 2:55 pm

I hate endurance stuff, much prefer sprinting. 5K is my limit! Major respect to anyone who runs marathons/half marathons.
avatar
incontinentia

Posts : 3202
Join date : 2012-01-06
Location : Ireland

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by lfc91 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 3:19 pm

20.23. Was in my third run, all the runs since have been between 20.40-20.55.

If it wasn't for my laziness on a saturday morning I think I would be sub 20 though, because I know for a fact I am in better shape than when i PB'd this time last year!

lfc91

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by TopHat24/7 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 3:40 pm

PBs:

5km - 24:44
10km - 52:19
15km - 1:22:06
20lm - ??????

TopHat24/7

Posts : 16953
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 33
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by TopHat24/7 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 3:41 pm

Some rapid boys on here......will point out I do weigh 17st!!

TopHat24/7

Posts : 16953
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 33
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by lfc91 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 4:17 pm

Yeah to be fair I am only 13 stone. Also 24 years old, so in my head I still think I should be going much faster!

Although at my parkrun the top finishing guys will generally be in the 30-50 bracket! Now that could be for several reasons. For example the younger guys play for sports teams on a Saturday or the younger guys are hungover! However I do think experiance will play a part aswell. Learning over a number of years how best to train your body for running.

lfc91

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Hero on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 4:22 pm

My family did a 5k run with my boys local school (all ages included) and 98 people took part. I came 4th last which wasn't surprising, my youngest was about halfway with my wife (she went round with him), my eldest son (who was 8 at the time) came 3rd, beating his teacher who runs marathons. I don't know his time but it was certainly under 20m.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Posts : 24297
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 40
Location : Work toilet

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by TopHat24/7 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 4:24 pm

When I did my first 5km in Florida, the lad that won the 'Juniors' category was only 12 and ran it in 17 minutes something!!

TopHat24/7

Posts : 16953
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 33
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by lfc91 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 4:27 pm

Yeah there are plenty of kids go sub 20 around the Belfast Parkruns. Demoralising when they pass you but at the same time, remember how fit and full of running you were when you were 10???

lfc91

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Stella on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 4:28 pm

Can a kid of twelve run a 10k so easy? Stamina will come into play, which they don't have in abundance at that age.
avatar
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by lfc91 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 4:30 pm

Not sure about the 10k, can only go by what I have seen at the 5Ks with regards to that age range.

lfc91

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Galted on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 6:25 pm

Odd timing of the OP as I threw my running shoes away yesterday. Don't know why I've kept them so long as I hadn't worn the bastards for about twenty years.
avatar
Galted
Galted
Galted

Posts : 9194
Join date : 2011-10-31
Location : In bed with Ada

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Hero on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 6:32 pm

Why don't you get a pair of these bad boys Galted?


Hero
Founder
Founder

Posts : 24297
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 40
Location : Work toilet

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Galted on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 6:44 pm

Hero wrote:Why don't you get a pair of these bad boys Galted?


I might be tempted to break into the occasional burst of speed. Since I turned 40 I've grown to detest all forms of hurrying.
avatar
Galted
Galted
Galted

Posts : 9194
Join date : 2011-10-31
Location : In bed with Ada

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by incontinentia on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 9:54 pm

Downloaded a running app today called Runkeeper. Its pretty cool. Gonna make more effort to break the 20 minute 5K barrier.

Do any of you folks use these apps?
avatar
incontinentia

Posts : 3202
Join date : 2012-01-06
Location : Ireland

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:07 am

Pleased to see there's obviously a lot going on here.  My PB for the 5k parkrun is 26.02 (when visiting Cheltenham as a parkrun "tourist".  It has a nice flat course!)  My usual one, Tunbridge Wells, is more undulating, so I am few seconds slower on that.  At the beginning of the year I started out at 31.45 - so it's quite encouraging to watch the timings come down.

Anyone interested in finding out their nearest parkrun - it's easy to find it on www.parkrun.org.uk where you can click on a map.

I'm trying out my first 10k in 2 weeks time.

Corporalhumblebucket

Posts : 6735
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Day's march from Surrey

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:13 am

incontinentia wrote:This looks like a great event, I am so signing up! Thanks Corporalhumblebucket thumbsup
clap clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Posts : 6735
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Day's march from Surrey

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Stella on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 9:20 am

Best of luck with the 10k, corporal.
avatar
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by TopHat24/7 on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 10:48 am

incontinentia wrote:Downloaded a running app today called Runkeeper. Its pretty cool. Gonna make more effort to break the 20 minute 5K barrier.

Do any of you folks use these apps?

I got MapMyRide for cycling and it has multiple settings, including one for running, so I use that to track my times, pace, GPS etc.

TopHat24/7

Posts : 16953
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 33
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by TopHat24/7 on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 10:51 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Pleased to see there's obviously a lot going on here.  My PB for the 5k parkrun is 26.02 (when visiting Cheltenham as a parkrun "tourist".  It has a nice flat course!)  My usual one, Tunbridge Wells, is more undulating, so I am few seconds slower on that.  At the beginning of the year I started out at 31.45 - so it's quite encouraging to watch the timings come down.

Anyone interested in finding out their nearest parkrun - it's easy to find it on www.parkrun.org.uk where you can click on a map.

I'm trying out my first 10k in 2 weeks time.

Great work Corporal, your times and gains look very similar to mine.

With 10km, remember you have a lot more time to 'catch up' if your pace is a little off to start. Once you've done a few you'll realise 5km feels like a sprint in comparison. Especially for your first one, don't gun it at the start and then find yourself flagging around 8km, your overall pace will suffer more than just pulling back 15-30 secs/km off your 5km pace and then increasing in the latter stages if you're still feeling fresh.

TopHat24/7

Posts : 16953
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 33
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:39 pm

Thanks Top Hat - that sounds like good advice, especially as second half of the 10k course is quite hilly. I guess main thing is to run your own race and avoid temptation to start racing other runners - at least not until quite near the end.


Corporalhumblebucket

Posts : 6735
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Day's march from Surrey

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:41 pm

Stella wrote:Best of luck with the 10k, corporal.

Cheers, Stella. thumbsup

Corporalhumblebucket

Posts : 6735
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Day's march from Surrey

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by TopHat24/7 on Wed 09 Sep 2015, 9:27 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Thanks Top Hat - that sounds like good advice, especially as second half of the 10k course is quite hilly. I guess main thing is to run your own race and avoid temptation to start racing other runners - at least not until quite near the end.


Def run your own race, and yes, do love a 'sprint finish' ;-)

Turns out my girlfriend has clubbed together with a few mates targeting doing the Muswell Hill/Ally Pally one in October. So guess I'll be doing that one too now! Smile

TopHat24/7

Posts : 16953
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 33
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Stella on Wed 09 Sep 2015, 9:33 am

I always try and keep a bit in reserve for a sprint (fast jog) finish, even in training.
avatar
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by lfc91 on Wed 09 Sep 2015, 11:10 am

I always finish at my fastest pace (over say the last 300/400m) even if I feel like I am going to drop. Just so I get that feeling of 'i've just given everything I have there'. Hate crossing the line thinking you could have gone that bit quicker if you had just pushed on at the end.

lfc91

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Wed 09 Sep 2015, 12:52 pm

At my local parkrun, the steepest hill is right at the very end - and quite a few times I've ended up walking 20 - 50 metres at the end when the tank is completely empty Sad So I'll just be happy if at the end of the 10k run I'm doing something that could technically speaking qualify as running! Very Happy I need to build up my stamina.

Corporalhumblebucket

Posts : 6735
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Day's march from Surrey

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by lfc91 on Wed 09 Sep 2015, 2:20 pm

Ah see I'm lucky enough that my local is perfectly flat ground the entire course. Add a hill in at any stage of it and my performance would take a big hit!

lfc91

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Stella on Wed 09 Sep 2015, 2:23 pm

I remember training for a half marathon a few years ago. In my training, I reached 12 miles, so therefore presumed I'll be fine. Problem was, it's pretty flat where I live, but the Bracknell route was, and maybe still is, hilly, hence I struggled near the end, and there was no sprint finish.

avatar
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by TopHat24/7 on Wed 09 Sep 2015, 3:08 pm

Stella wrote:I remember training for a half marathon a few years ago. In my training, I reached 12 miles, so therefore presumed I'll be fine. Problem was, it's pretty flat where I live, but the Bracknell route was, and maybe still is, hilly, hence I struggled near the end, and there was no sprint finish.


My training has topped out just before 12 miles too. Thankfully there's a few decent slopes, including one proper hill getting out of Crouch End in North London (Crouch Hill, to be precise, lol) so am hoping the notoriously hilly Great North Run won't kill me, but am just budgeting for a 20-30 sec/km drop in overall pace.

TopHat24/7

Posts : 16953
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 33
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Wed 09 Sep 2015, 8:41 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote: Turns out my girlfriend has clubbed together with a few mates targeting doing the Muswell Hill/Ally Pally one in October. So guess I'll be doing that one too now! Smile
One day at our parkrun we had a group of lady runners on a hen party outing, and wearing suitably printed tops for the occasion. That was good fun. Not the fittest group of runners I've ever seen, tho! Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Posts : 6735
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Day's march from Surrey

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:16 pm

The only time I'll get out of bed at 9am on a Sunday is If you can guarantee a few naked Meg Ryan lookalikes will be doing it........

Seeing a spluttering Toppy in a t-shirt and shorts is a close second but no cigar..


TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 36589
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by incontinentia on Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:31 pm

It's every Saturday Truss, Saturday!

PS- Meg Ryan is well past it!
avatar
incontinentia

Posts : 3202
Join date : 2012-01-06
Location : Ireland

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum