The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

+23
Rowley
Ent
No 7&1/2
rIck_dAgless
navyblueshorts
Pal Joey
ShahenshahG
LivinginItaly
Nay
Corporalhumblebucket
alfie
CuriousGeorge
aja424
superflyweight
Dolphin Ziggler
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
Galted
incontinentia
Hero
Stella
TopHat24/7
guildfordbat
27 posters

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 7 Empty Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 06 Sep 2015, 11:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Was wondering whether anyone else on V2 has had a go at "Parkrun". It's a 5k run every Saturday morning at 0900 in parks or other similar venues. It's free and is organised by volunteers. There's loads of venues all over England and in several other countries as well.  It's not really a race, other than you against yourself, you can see all your timings on line, including how fast you are for your age group, and (if applicable Wink ) how much you've improved week on week. Many venues have several hundred people of all ages taking part.  I'm *ahem* well into middle age, and was completely unathletic. But my daughter got me started and now I take part nearly every week.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 7 Empty Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by LivinginItaly Mon 25 Jan 2016, 7:49 pm

Stella wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Wow, Stella.  clap clap   Very impressive distances you've been notching up - and an excellent time.  Are you taking enough to replenish energy levels during the run?

Cheers.

I think it may have been the lack of food before my run, looking back on it? I take two gels out with me plus water, which should be ample. What to eat before a run is something 'living in italy' might be able to advise me on.

pasta would be good. Just not spaghetti bolognese as it doesn't actually exist in Italy.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 7 Empty Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 25 Jan 2016, 11:26 pm

I've only used treadmill once - and that to get a gait analysis done in the local running store.  I was all over the shop! Well, not quite literally - but I couldn't get the hang of it and the shop owner could hardly keep a straight face.... Very Happy

I managed a half marathon in training today.  Very Happy  A "there and back" four times route on a private road in the country.  Time was about 2:04:28.  Elevation gain 750 feet - though all 8 climbs in very manageable chunks.  That's the last HM I will do in training before the main event (21 Feb). Also, I need to make sure I'm in good shape for 10k race on 7 Feb, plus will need a bit of recovery time after that one. Picking up Alfie's advice, I will mostly concentrate on shorter, faster runs.  Today I again used raisins to boost energy. At the moment this seems to be working for me.  I imagine that, were I to go beyond a HM - Shocked - I would probably need something a bit more sophisticated.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 26 Jan 2016, 6:52 am

Good running Corporal. Have you got any time targets for your races?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 26 Jan 2016, 12:47 pm

Thanks, Stella. I would like to do a HM in 2 hours at some point. I'm hoping I can get fairly close to that in the Tunbridge Wells HM, but it is known as a fairly tough course so I don't want to put too much pressure on myself for my first HM.

I've done three 10k races so far and so have a bit more info to go on. I managed 50:57 on a fast flat course, and 54:31 (last time out) on a fairly hilly course. The Chichester 10k is larger event, so I'm not sure whether that will help or hinder. I'd like to get below 53.00 in this race.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:53 pm

Seriously great work Corporal!!

2hrs is a great target, I'm not going to make any HM's this year most likely, but 2hrs (on a flat course) is the target I'd really like to go for!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 26 Jan 2016, 2:33 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Seriously great work Corporal!!

Aw, thanks TopHat!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 26 Jan 2016, 3:22 pm

This warmer weather has certainly been welcome in the morning's!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 01 Feb 2016, 2:30 pm

Ready for your race this weekend, corporal?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 01 Feb 2016, 9:47 pm

Hope so, thanks, Stella. Did my last significant training run today before the 10k. Was just over 5 miles with my (younger and more sporty) brother in law for running company. (He's doing the HM with me later in Feb.) Wasn't thinking about records as we ran but I was very pleased to knock off 6 seconds from my 5k PB on the way - down to 24.49.

Tried out my new running shoes today. V pleased with them. Will use them on the 10k.

How's your training going Stella? Any long runs?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 02 Feb 2016, 6:30 am

What shoes have you got corporal?

Yes training is going well at present, cheers.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 02 Feb 2016, 12:42 pm

New running shoes are Brooks Adrenaline, Stella.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 02 Feb 2016, 12:53 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:New running shoes are Brooks Adrenaline, Stella.

Think mine are to? Brooks GTS something or other. I know it's a shoe that gives extra support.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 02 Feb 2016, 5:05 pm

Stella wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:New running shoes are Brooks Adrenaline, Stella.

Think mine are to? Brooks GTS something or other. I know it's a shoe that gives extra support.

Yes, mine are GTS16.  I imagine this is the latest model, but they are certainly mega comfortable and supportive.  I've only worn them on the one run so far, and will probably just do a  brief trot tomorrow, then they can go straight into the 10k race, without any further breaking in.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 02 Feb 2016, 5:11 pm

I bought new Asics last summer, having got my gait tested & analysed, to help correct my over-pronation issue. Certainly helped a lot, though interestingly, it did transfer some of the stresses from my ITB (hip & knee) to calf. I'm putting down my prolonged recovery to them in part.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sat 06 Feb 2016, 11:09 am

Is it today or tomorrow your run Corp? Good Luck either way

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 06 Feb 2016, 11:13 am

LL Cool Nay wrote:Is it today or tomorrow your run Corp? Good Luck either way

It's tomorrow, LLCN - thanks for remembering! thumbsup

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sat 06 Feb 2016, 11:39 am

Have a good run corporal OK
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 06 Feb 2016, 11:44 am

Stella wrote:Have a good run corporal OK

Cheers, Stella. #nervousenergy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Feb 2016, 11:49 am

having quite a few problems recently with my running, had some gait analysis & got diagnosed with hyper-supination. had numerous issues with shin splints for months & then unfortunately suffered from a small stress fracture of the calcaneus. Doctor told me perform the rest, ice, compression & elevation process (R.I.C.E) & therefore I'm having to retire from Park Run events for the immediate future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 06 Feb 2016, 11:54 am

LiamB wrote:having quite a few problems recently with my running, had some gait analysis & got diagnosed with hyper-supination. had numerous issues with shin splints for months & then unfortunately suffered from a small stress fracture of the calcaneus. Doctor told me perform the rest, ice, compression & elevation process (R.I.C.E) & therefore I'm having to retire from Park Run events for the immediate future.

Oh no, LIamB - that is hard luck. I do hope you will be fit and running again in a while, but it does sound as though some TLC is in order for some little while.... Sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 07 Feb 2016, 11:09 pm

Yay. Came home in 48:58 in the Chichester 10k. So that took about two minutes off my PB for the distance. Definitely felt the benefit of the training I'd be doing in recent months.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 08 Feb 2016, 5:53 am

Sub 50, fantastic time corporal. Do you check your time mid race, or just at the end?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 08 Feb 2016, 7:25 am

Thanks Stella! I had the odd glance during the run, but mostly I was just trying to run according to how I felt.

Felt really good in first 5k so I went for it as if it was 5k race. Then hung on in during 2nd half.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 08 Feb 2016, 7:43 am

I was going to ask what your tactics were. Go for it and hang on sounds like the best way to get a PB. Any time predictions for the 10 miler?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:15 am

I have always been told that you should aim to run the second half of the race faster than the first half. However, i must say that i find it much easier psychologically to run hard in the first half and then try and hold on over the second half.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:21 am

Hi LII - ditto and ditto! Sums up my feelings exactly.

But I have HM in two weeks. For that I will definitely need to do first half steadily. Then hold on on second half. (2nd half also has couple of serious hills :-( )

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:24 am

Stella - I'm thinking of doing first part of HM with the 2:0:0 pacer. Hoping I may be able to get just under 2 hours. But the hills are the big imponderable!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:29 am

LivinginItaly wrote:I have always been told that you should aim to run the second half of the race faster than the first half. However, i must say that i find it much easier psychologically to run hard in the first half and then try and hold on over the second half.

I find it quite nice to hold back in training for the first half, then go for it late on, but I admire the corporal's 'go for it' race mentality.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Thu 11 Feb 2016, 12:41 pm

Congrats Corp, great time.

Marathon training started well last week running running a total of 28.5 miles over the week.

Longest run was 10 miles were i managed to keep to 9 min mile pace. (Fastest i have ran for that distance so far)

Sadly slipped this week but 5 mile run tonight hoping to get back into it.

16 weeks to go

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 11 Feb 2016, 1:02 pm

Nice one cool nay

I ran 22.3 miles last Thursday. Sadly, my knee gave me a bit of discomfort in the last mile or so, and it's been sore since. Went for a 4.86 mile run on Tuesday and it didn't feel good, so have decided to rest it for 7-10 days.

I'm hoping that will do it.

If all goes well, I'm going to run no more than 20 miles before the actual race. I wish now I'd done that in the first place.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 11 Feb 2016, 1:04 pm

Stella - have you tried using a foam roller on your ITB??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 11 Feb 2016, 1:28 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Stella - have you tried using a foam roller on your ITB??

No.......worth a go?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 11 Feb 2016, 1:36 pm

Yes, definitely. My physio recommended it for me and it worked wonders - ended up buying my own when I was running a lot training for GNR. Google it a bit. Basically there is a tough band that connects the hip and kneee via the outside of the thigh. Given it's position and type, it's basically impossible to cover my normal stretching, it needs to be 'massaged' to work out the tension.

If you don't it pulls on the knee cap and hip - causing pain in one or both.

Foam rolling over it basically does the massaging bit (it's v uncomfortable but 100% worth it).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 11 Feb 2016, 1:39 pm

Cheers. It might be a worthy investment.

Eddie Izzard had pain in his ITB when he ran all those marathons (what a man) around Britain. He had it massaged, which worked, but looked bloody painful.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 11 Feb 2016, 1:52 pm

It definitely isn't comfortable! You're basically rolling your entire body weight over a hard plastic tube covered in bumps!

I was doing 15 rolls, on each leg, 3 times twice a week when I was at the peak of my training.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 11 Feb 2016, 2:36 pm

I definitely find using a foam roller is helpful.  I haven't had to use it on any specific injury yet, but I find it good for relieving general aches and stiffness in the back of the lower leg and in the front and back of the upper leg.  I tend to use it (briefly) first thing in the morning and then before and after runs of any significant length. I use it in a fairly gentle sort of way - often both legs at the same time - which obviously spreads the body weight; and being a weedy sort of build anyway also helps to reduce the discomfort. Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 11 Feb 2016, 2:42 pm

On this morning's training run (6m) I tried out the results of a recipe meant to release energy quickly on longer runs.  A mixture of cashew nuts, dates, raisins, cocoa powder.  Rather tasty.  I think I'll use it on the upcoming HM, but will need to make sure that I eat small amounts of the mixture shortly before drink stations. Otherwise I think I'll get too thirsty.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 11 Feb 2016, 2:44 pm

All ready for your race, corporal?

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 11 Feb 2016, 2:45 pm

I would note that the physio said never to use it cold. So best post-exercise, never before, and if you want to do it other post-run, warm the muscle first with a hot water bottle....!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 11 Feb 2016, 2:47 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:On this morning's training run (6m) I tried out the results of a recipe meant to release energy quickly on longer runs.  A mixture of cashew nuts, dates, raisins, cocoa powder.  Rather tasty.  I think I'll use it on the upcoming HM, but will need to make sure that I eat small amounts of the mixture shortly before drink stations. Otherwise I think I'll get too thirsty.

Do you take any fluids with you on the run?

I always found it too much of a distraction on 5k and 10k runs, but when getting beyond 15k I found I really craved some fluids (to refresh my claggy mouth as much as anything) towards the end.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 11 Feb 2016, 2:56 pm

I take a bottle of water on a 10k-7 mile but discard it after about three miles. Unless it's 90 degrees then I'll keep it. Not that we've seen too many hot temps lately!!!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 11 Feb 2016, 3:11 pm

TopHat - so far, I've never carried any fluids with me on any run (whether race or training). In 10k races I use what is usually a single drinks station. I'd be planning on taking on drinks a minimum of twice during the upcoming HM. Generally, I take on a fair amount of water before a race, sipping frequently over quite a long period from a drinking bottle. So far, this has worked for me, in that I haven't felt bloated or got a stitch - but I guess that is a risk I'm taking.

A big caveat is that so far I have never done a longish race in hot weather. I did find that during the 5k parkruns in hot summer weather I would get a raging thirst. During the summer I was trying to work out the tipping point - I reckoned that once the temperature reached about 16/17c I would get very thirsty during the 5k run and my performance started to decline rapidly.

Thanks for the tip re use of foam roller before running - probably as well that I haven't been using it aggressively! Rolling Eyes

Stella - thanks, I feel "sort of" ready for the HM, tho I am still in recovery mode from the 10k race on Sunday. The run I did this morning was not particularly fast but it did include climbs totalling over 600 ft.Erm Felt knackered aftertwards! I'll probably only do the parkrun this Saturday and perhaps a couple of further very short runs (eg max 2 miles) the following week in the build up to HM on 21 Feb.

Re marathon training, I've certainly seen advice that (unless you are super human) you don't generally need to do the full distance in training runs.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 11 Feb 2016, 3:22 pm

In prep for a marathon I've read and asked too many questions. Some people say 'you have to be able to run 22-23 miles in training' and others 'don't go over 20, as you may cause an injury'. I'm definitely in the thought of the latter, especially for your average jo like me.

I ate a chocolate peanut energy bar on a 13 mile run which I done a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure it was that but I ran the last 5 miles or so like a 10k.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 11 Feb 2016, 3:23 pm

The Great North Run HM was about 18-19 Deg C and almost killed me not taking on enough fluids! (and sugar)

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 11 Feb 2016, 3:44 pm

Corporal

A friend of mine is doing the paddock wood half.

Is that down your way?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 11 Feb 2016, 7:42 pm

Stella - yes, that not far at all. Probably a bit less than 10 miles away. Looks like a fair size event.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Fri 12 Feb 2016, 5:57 pm

When i was running the Edinburgh half marathon i was advised that its good to have sn espresso an hour before you run.

Having read up it was a also recommended by the running mags, so had a double espresso. Definitely made a difference to the start.

Stella- i have read numerous theories including one that says you should run more than the marathon as it mesns come race day you know you can do it.

Think i will be going for the 22 mile mark a few weeks before but will see based on any injuries.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:11 am

I've always read that you shouldn't go past 20-22 miles in training (esp for 1st) as it's all about muscle degradation and you can end up doing more harm than good at that point.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:23 am

I always felt it was more about running for at least the time you expect to take for the marathon rather than the distance. Obviously you are going a good deal slower in training ; so you don't run the full 26 miles .
My own last long run was usually round about three hours ; but limited to perhaps 22 miles - I don't think it is necessary to go further. The long runs after all are partly there to accustom you to being on your feet for the time you will need , as well as getting your body used to burning "fuel" at the right rate.

Up to the individual of course ; but I'm definitely in favour of "less is more" - especially for a first marathon.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:29 am

I've ordered a foam roller and am praying that will make a difference. In hindsight, I wish I would have limited myself to 20 miles. Ran that distance a few times, knowing the extra 6, whilst be difficult, would be manageable. This is something I would recommend to any average runner like myself.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum