The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Day 9 - I’d Querrey buying Mahut on the Sands for a Tsonga because it a-Peers it’s on the Fritz.

+10
Belovedluckyboy
It Must Be Love
laverfan
CAS
LuvSports!
Henman Bill
bogbrush
slashermcguirk
sirfredperry
HM Murdock
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

US Open Day 9 - I’d Querrey buying Mahut on the Sands for a Tsonga because it a-Peers it’s on the Fritz. Empty US Open Day 9 - I’d Querrey buying Mahut on the Sands for a Tsonga because it a-Peers it’s on the Fritz.

Post by HM Murdock Tue 08 Sep 2015, 9:23 am

Order of play:
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/index.html?promo=subnav

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 9 - I’d Querrey buying Mahut on the Sands for a Tsonga because it a-Peers it’s on the Fritz. Empty Re: US Open Day 9 - I’d Querrey buying Mahut on the Sands for a Tsonga because it a-Peers it’s on the Fritz.

Post by sirfredperry Tue 08 Sep 2015, 9:57 am

The Williams match up will be a non-event. There's no way that Venus will try to stop her sister going for the GS. Pity they ended up in the same half of the draw.
Cilic v Tsonga is intriguing and very difficult to call. I've always liked JWT and he can play some wonderfully exciting tennis. But Cilic fans can point to JWT's tendency to chuck in the odd horror service game from time to time. Could be a five-setter.
Djoko should have no trouble with Lopez. We could see a semi between the defending champion and the world number one.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 9 - I’d Querrey buying Mahut on the Sands for a Tsonga because it a-Peers it’s on the Fritz. Empty Re: US Open Day 9 - I’d Querrey buying Mahut on the Sands for a Tsonga because it a-Peers it’s on the Fritz.

Post by HM Murdock Tue 08 Sep 2015, 10:09 am

I think Djokovic will handle Lopez but I think there's a plausible chance of an upset if he faces JWT in the SF.

Jo Willy has flown under the radar a bit but he's been in good form. He hasn't dropped a set yet.

Given that Novak hasn't exactly been lights out so far, this match will be closer than many expect.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:26 am

Interesting to note that wawrinka has played Anderson 4 times and list all 4 meetings. Wouldn't have expected that, will certainly give stan something to think about going into that one.

I agree that an under par djokovic could struggle against tsonga. He has given Novak more trouble over the years than cilic, even if the H2H is still very positive for Novak.

Lopez is in great form so djokovic needs to be on his game there first! I still think federer is the form player and the man to beat in this tournament

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:45 pm

Anderson, by all accounts, was very good against Murray. Will he play so well against Stan and will the four-hours-plus catch up with him ?
Remember JWT having MPs against Djoko in the French after giving him a set start and just not being able to get over the line. Terrific match, though.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:25 pm

I'd be worried for Lopez's mental health if it wasn't for the fact that he knows he's going to get a massive tanning and isn't all that bothered.

The outcome of the other quarter could be pivotal. I've got a funny feeling that Cilic could bother Novak, even though all the facts say not. It's like watching Joe Johnson defend the World Snooker Championship when he'd done nothing all year but made the final again. It's like he seems to think he belongs here.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 08 Sep 2015, 2:20 pm

Not lost a set watch

After R3:
Djokovic (23 games lost), Tsonga (25), Wawrinka (46), Isner (27) and Federer (20).

After R4:
Tsonga (36) - and no TBs
Federer (37)

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 08 Sep 2015, 2:30 pm

bogbrush wrote:I'd be worried for Lopez's mental health if it wasn't for the fact that he knows he's going to get a massive tanning and isn't all that bothered.

The outcome of the other quarter could be pivotal. I've got a funny feeling that Cilic could bother Novak, even though all the facts say not. It's like watching Joe Johnson defend the World Snooker Championship when he'd done nothing all year but made the final again. It's like he seems to think he belongs here.

I said for ages Cilic would defend his title well but have a poor rest of the year. On https://www.606v2.com/t56298-predictions-for-top-5-rankings-at-the-end-of-2015 in response to IMBL predicting him to be in the top 5 I said: "Cilic no way - that is bandwagoning - I can see him doing well at the US Open again, or even getting to the semi or final here at the world tour finals or winning a 250 or 2 next year. But there is no way he will rack up points week in week out on clay and slow outdoor hard."

https://www.606v2.com/t55472p50-us-open-the-men-s-final I stated "Cilic.... I think this is his very peak. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't win another slam. I'm not convinced that his game is good enough to win on the slower surfaces of the other three slams. I do think he will take some beating defending his crown here next year however."

Curiously IMBL predicts Rafa out of the top 5 this year. I stated (less accurately): "Leaving out Rafa is just silly - I don't know whether it's becoming some kind of in joke/windup or whether it's expectation management, but like the man himself, you are consistently try to downplay. We thought it was funny when you had Rafa as 8th favourite for the French Open once, but it's just getting boring and predictable now." Oops. Well, I suppose if you predict Rafa's decline enough you will eventually be right sooner or later!

So you were right on Rafa and I was right on Cilic, so a score draw.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 08 Sep 2015, 3:34 pm

If Cilic wins today, then maybe it's a score draw. Expected qf appearance, not that special.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Tue 08 Sep 2015, 3:38 pm

I want to see Cilc to reach the final, I don't like seeing 'fluke' slam winners, I like them to then back it up like Stan has too. I think I'm still bitter from Johansson beating Safin at the 2002 Aussie

Last edited by CAS on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:25 pm; edited 3 times in total

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 08 Sep 2015, 3:38 pm

If he wins today he's in the semi.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:09 pm

I'm guessing my comment wasn't clear. Atm a qf appearance isn't anything special, hence I don't think HB's prediction is that amaze. #rainingonyourparadesince92

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 08 Sep 2015, 5:06 pm

I am looking forward to Mladenovic v Vinci and going further. She played well against Makarova.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 08 Sep 2015, 7:19 pm

I was wrong about Cilic winning a slam and doing well this year; I based it not only on his US Open win but also on his Wimbledon performance.
However he's not reacted well to his maiden Grand Slam win, and he's also had some injury issues this year too. So he's not featured in the latter stages of events at all.

Nadal I was right about, but as HB pointed out I also thought he wouldn't be able to come back from his injury in early 2013. Being out of the tour for quite a few months, it's not always guaranteed you'll do as well when you're back.

Nishikori I was definitely wrong about, I thought he'd really progress well this year. He's been inconsistent and still hindered by physical problems. Did he hire his fitness coach and physio from the Arsenal club staff ?

Murray I was right about in terms of reaching finals and latter stages of tournaments but not winning things, however he's been more consistent than I've expected.

Federer I said could win 1 slam in the year, and I guessed it was most likely at Wimbledon. He could win that 1 slam, but at the US instead.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 08 Sep 2015, 8:07 pm

Mladenovic gone. Sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 08 Sep 2015, 9:14 pm

JWT looks very flat, there's only one guy winning this.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Sep 2015, 9:37 pm

Tsonga going. First two sets to Cilic 6-4 6-4. It is true that Tsonga has been flying under the radar. But it seems he has just hit a tree.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Sep 2015, 10:22 pm

Cilic playing a very poor third set.  Tsonga not playing much better but has the break ... and now the third set.

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 09 Sep 2015, 12:17 am

Cilic through, just about.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 09 Sep 2015, 12:22 am

Well, in rankings points in 2015 Cilic is 21st behind a ton of players such as Isner, Anderson, Simon, Raonic, Monfils, Goffin, Thiem, Karlovic and Tomic. So even QF, equalling his best tournament performance of the year, was a decent defence. Anyway, he's won and into his first semi of the year.

Returning to my not lost a set watch, an old man with a sabr is the only man left that hasn't lost a set.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Wed 09 Sep 2015, 12:23 am

Yes happy for Cilic, hope he has enough energy for his next match. Well done.

Tsonga puts up a good show too, hopes he improves his ranking with this QF showing.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 09 Sep 2015, 12:25 am

It's of great credit to Djokovic that I cannot be the least bit interested in any one of his matches until the semi final. I mean, there is just not enough chance of him losing to keep it interesting.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Wed 09 Sep 2015, 12:25 am

Cilic won't get close to him, he wasn't even that great today.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 09 Sep 2015, 12:28 am

Anyone else for the Williams sisters?

Just looking at the draw for Anderson, I'm sure I'm not the first to notice obviously, but Murray-Warwinka-Federer-Djokovic for the title. Isn't that literally the hardest last 4 matches imaginable? Good luck with that.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 09 Sep 2015, 12:28 am

Last year the way Cilic played in the last two matches was very good, under-rated. He just has to magically find that again and he should win. But seriously, Djokovic in 3.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 09 Sep 2015, 6:34 am

Yes, but I've got up today to learn the Djokovic dropped a set to Lopez and only broke 3 times in 4 sets, needing a tie break in the fourth. That's surprising.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 09 Sep 2015, 8:37 am

bogbrush wrote:Yes, but I've got up today to learn the Djokovic dropped a set to Lopez and only broke 3 times in 4 sets, needing a tie break in the fourth. That's surprising.
I've only seen highlights but from those and the comments I've read, it seems that was more a reflection of Lopez than Djokovic.

Apart from a poor first set, he (Lopez) served really well and was very aggressive throughout.

I do think the match against Cilic will be tougher than many are predicting though.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 09 Sep 2015, 8:40 am

I've just seen that this is the 9th year in a row that Novak has made the SF or better at the US Open.

Very impressive... but how has this only translated into one win?!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed 09 Sep 2015, 9:54 am

At least Djoko he will be remembered by another 2 things in USO:

1. The Legendary between the legs shot from Fed.
2. The Legendary ball slap from him against Fed.

Not bad.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:12 am

Jahu wrote:At least Djoko he will be remembered by another 2 things in USO:

Not bad.
3. Being mocked by Roddick for having SARS.
4. Falling out with the crowd after being mocked by Roddick for having SARS.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:16 am

Mad to think if Novak wins this week, up to 10 slams. Federer still the favourite for me but would love to see djokovic get a 2nd us open title. Would be a great spread of slams for him if he did. Building quite a legacy!

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:22 am

HM Murdock wrote:
Jahu wrote:At least Djoko he will be remembered by another 2 things in USO:

Not bad.
3. Being mocked by Roddick for having SARS.
4. Falling out with the crowd after being mocked by Roddick for having SARS.

Hahahahha

All those are forgotten, when Djoko looks at the USO Trophy on his cabinet.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:24 am

Federer is not the favourite. He's underdog against both Stan and Novak in my view. This isn't Cincy people.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:27 am

slashermcguirk wrote:Mad to think if Novak wins this week, up to 10 slams. Federer still the favourite for me but would love to see djokovic get a 2nd us open title. Would be a great spread of slams for him if he did. Building quite a legacy!
I've always said that I consider 10+ slams to be the threshold of 'tier 1' greats. It will feel weird including Novak in that group. There was a time I really thought he would be stuck on 6!

Based on what I've seen, I make Federer the favourite too. I thought that at Wimbledon too though, so who knows?!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:29 am

Born Slippy wrote:This isn't Cincy people.
No, but nor is it a typical US Open surface. Everyone says Ashe is playing faster this year.

As things stand now, with Federer still 3 matches away from a win and a potentially tough SF, maybe Novak is still favourite.

But if it comes down to those two in the final, I think Federer may take it.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:34 am

Novak beat Fed going away at Wimbledon - a faster surface where Fed has won this decade. Unless Fed can crush him in 3 sets, Novak wins. Fed isn't going to crush him in 3 sets therefore if they play in the final, Novak is overwhelming favourite.

The only shot Fed has is if Cilic finds 2014 form for the SF and takes Novak out. He is not besting Novak in the final.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:41 am

I wouldn't make Stan favourite over Federer either.

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:51 am

Born Slippy wrote:Novak beat Fed going away at Wimbledon - a faster surface where Fed has won this decade. Unless Fed can crush him in 3 sets, Novak wins. Fed isn't going to crush him in 3 sets therefore if they play in the final, Novak is overwhelming favourite.

The only shot Fed has is if Cilic finds 2014 form for the SF and takes Novak out. He is not besting Novak in the final.
I think Fed can afford to drop a set. He's playing well enough to take that hit.

The possible exception might be if the set dropped is the first set.

I suspect there may be tiebreakers, so it really could hinge on a couple of points.

Long way off yet though. Both have some tricky matches to get through.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 09 Sep 2015, 12:05 pm

I also think Fed could handle the loss of a set so long as sets are reasonable length and he's forced short points onto the match.

Reasonable use of SABR points and very good serving. Tricky though, no point running to the net on junk!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 09 Sep 2015, 12:44 pm

Williams sisters match left me strangely cold, some good shots but couldn't get into it.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 09 Sep 2015, 1:45 pm

I see that Novak had another of his big rages last night and tore his shirt. He's been going crazy this year. It's embarrassing.

He looks especially stupid because he says in every interview how getting married and becoming a father has given him more balance in his life!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 09 Sep 2015, 1:57 pm

HM Murdock wrote:I see that Novak had another of his big rages last night and tore his shirt. He's been going crazy this year. It's embarrassing.

He looks especially stupid because he says in every interview how getting married and becoming a father has given him more balance in his life!
I don't think the image helps. I mean, it was fine when this chubby looking brat with a headband and a bad haircut did it but a guy with a microphone head and sharp, clear features just doesn't look right having an eppy.

I give Fed his due, when he does it he comes over as so completely entitled ("don't tell me the f*cking rules!") that it sort of matches image.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 09 Sep 2015, 2:19 pm

bogbrush wrote:I give Fed his due, when he does it he comes over as so completely entitled ("don't tell me the f*cking rules!") that it sort of matches image.
Very Happy  Yes, he is never angry with himself. It's more a case of forcefully explaining why everything else is wrong.

Although his one racket smash is perhaps my favourite racket smash. I like the way the rage lasts about a second and then he nonchalantly strolls off as if he's just broken a string rather than beaten the hell out of his racket!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 09 Sep 2015, 3:19 pm

Id make Fed the favourite, but I wouldnt bet on it.
My worry is what happened at Wimby, same circumstances, easy route through (soo far).

Serving really well, fresh, with an opponent who nearly went out in r4.

He was cooked after two and a half sets, and the pressure Novaks return put on his serve ruined him,

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 09 Sep 2015, 4:27 pm

HM Murdock wrote:
bogbrush wrote:I give Fed his due, when he does it he comes over as so completely entitled ("don't tell me the f*cking rules!") that it sort of matches image.
Very Happy  Yes, he is never angry with himself. It's more a case of forcefully explaining why everything else is wrong.

Although his one racket smash is perhaps my favourite racket smash. I like the way the rage lasts about a second and then he nonchalantly strolls off as if he's just broken a string rather than beaten the hell out of his racket!
Are you sure he wasn't due to serve with new balls next game and had just forgotten to change his racquet while the other guy stands waiting to serve?

Seriously, it is one of the great racquet abuse moments just for it's utter incongruity with everything surrounding the one second event.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 09 Sep 2015, 4:44 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmVHk2efkZ8
heres another one, involving but not with Roger. My favourite

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by shivfan Wed 09 Sep 2015, 6:06 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Williams sisters match left me strangely cold, some good shots but couldn't get into it.

To each their own...I enjoyed it tremendously.

Great serving, great service returns, great use of power, great winners....

They went hammer and tongs at each other...Venus is the only player who can match Serena for power. She stood inside the baseline to Serena's first and second serves, and ripped some massive service returns!

But the crux is that Serena did the same, and did it a little bit better, a little bit more consistently, and with a little bit more control....
shivfan
shivfan

http://www.cricket-match-special.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 09 Sep 2015, 6:33 pm

I was watching it , and in theory it looked good, but felt flat, atmosphere lacking (or not being picked up on the microphones). But felt detached it. I was getting a bit tired, maybe that was the factor. But Serena in 3 was extremely predictable.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 09 Sep 2015, 8:04 pm

bogbrush wrote:
HM Murdock wrote:I see that Novak had another of his big rages last night and tore his shirt. He's been going crazy this year. It's embarrassing.

I don't think the image helps. I mean, it was fine when this chubby looking brat with a headband and a bad haircut did it but a guy with a microphone head and sharp, clear features just doesn't look right having an eppy.

I give Fed his due, when he does it he comes over as so completely entitled ("don't tell me the f*cking rules!") that it sort of matches image.
Here's the moment...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AZB9JfhzLzE

It's actually even better than I remembered, I'm surprised the Umpure wasn't required to apologise Wink.

He was right to be fair.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed 09 Sep 2015, 8:06 pm

Come on Halep, drill Azarenka till she faints boxing
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next