Some wise words from the late Tony Benn

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Some wise words from the late Tony Benn Empty Some wise words from the late Tony Benn

Post by McLaren on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:27 pm

Tony Benn wrote:The way a government treats refugees is very instructive because it shows you how they would treat the rest of us if they thought they could get away with it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Some wise words from the late Tony Benn Empty Re: Some wise words from the late Tony Benn

Post by TopHat24/7 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:55 pm

Benn always was a bell.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Some wise words from the late Tony Benn Empty Re: Some wise words from the late Tony Benn

Post by superflyweight on Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:52 pm

Pot calling kettle a bell.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:17 pm

Better than calling it a racist......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:21 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Better than calling it a racist......

For what its worth, I don't think you're a racist.

Just a massive c*nt.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : There are fewer more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap. And we'll die in the class we were born, well that's a class of our own my love. A class of our own my love. Did you see the stylish kids in the riot, cos mine beat me up then set the night on fire. Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields, you know I cherish you my love. Oh how I cherish Julius my love.

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:30 pm

Please by civil.

I would be interested to know why you don't agree with the idea that Benn puts forward in that quote TopHat24/7?

The way the current government have treated the disabled and poor seems to match the way it is now treating people who are refugees. In almost all their policies they ignore the risks posed to the most vulnerable people in our society.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:33 pm

I didn't call you racist - I asked a question which you neglected to answer.  Otherwise, see Tina's post.

Last edited by superflyweight on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : e-mail? what fucking e-mail?)

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:34 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

For what its worth, I don't think you're a racist.  

Just a massive c*nt.

That's fine, I'll take that.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:35 pm

It's more indictive of the people in my eyes Mac, the poor, disabled, ex veterens are treated extremely shoddily by the government but there doesn't seem to be the same push to help them at all. The refugees need help and we all have to do our part too, pity we'll forget the ones on our own doorstep first though

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:37 pm

superflyweight wrote:

I didn't call you racist - I asked a question which you neglected to answer.  Otherwise, see Tina's e-mail.  

It was pathetic so I saw no reason to justify it with a response.

I withdrew from the thread entirely as I could see it would descend into the usual madness/BS of the v2 left-liberal clique saying and doing whatever it wants without fear of mod reprecussion whilst the topic collapses into unconstructive mud-slinging.

On here the only right opinion is a left opinion and all right opinions are wrong.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:47 pm

McLaren wrote:Please by civil.

I would be interested to know why you don't agree with the idea that Benn puts forward in that quote TopHat24/7?

The way the current government have treated the disabled and poor seems to match the way it is now treating people who are refugees. In almost all their policies they ignore the risks posed to the most vulnerable people in our society.

By ackowledging that government finances are not a bottomless pit and that we should not blindly throw money/resources at something without proper investigation and analysis that such support will not place an unfinanceable burden on the State that jeapordises the economic health of the country and therefore its total 60 million inhabitants??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:48 pm

It was pathetic so I saw no reason to justify it with a response.

You probably had more important things to do like try to work out exactly how persecuted somebody has to be before they become a refugee and not (the horror - the holy f*cking horror) an economic migrant. It's big stuff like that that really matters.

I withdrew from the thread entirely as I could see it would descend into the usual madness/BS of the v2 left-liberal clique saying and doing whatever it wants without fear of mod reprecussion whilst the topic collapses into unconstructive mud-slinging.

On here the only right opinion is a left opinion and all right opinions are wrong.

Why is it a question of left and right? Surely your reaction to a massive humanitarian crisis isn't pre-determined by your voting history or your socio-economic background? Why wouldn't you just judge it on its own merits?

For the record, I consider myself neither right, left or centre.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:53 pm

McLaren wrote:Please by civil.

How are the government treating refugees, in your opinion?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:54 pm

derby

I agree, it is sadly possible to live in the UK in 2015 and be in need of government assistance but not receive it. And people do care about this, but the right wing press would prefer to continue pushing stories about scroungers and benefits cheats instead of revealing the plight of those effected by the current governments inhumane welfare policies.

If it is true that people "don't care about those on their doorstep" then it is only because of the misinformation supplied about the people in this country who require the use of the welfare state. (which is really all of us at some point)

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:57 pm

MODS - could you please remove the TopHat24/7 drivel so the rest of us can continue the debate. Thanks.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:01 am

Duty

"How are the government treating refugees, in your opinion?"

Not in the way that my humanist world view would like.

The way to treat anyone in your economy is really pretty simple, give them what is necessary to meet decent living standards.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:16 am

McLaren wrote:MODS - could you please remove the TopHat24/7 drivel so the rest of us can continue the debate.  Thanks.

Typical & pathetic in equal measure.

MODS - do what you want. My only suggestion would be rename 'Off Topic' to 'The Left-Liberal Dicussion Forum, all other opinions censored'.

Not a f*** given.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:18 am

I'd dearly love to top hat but believe I can't now I don't have a green badge. Am happy to ask Adam for you.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:20 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
McLaren wrote:MODS - could you please remove the TopHat24/7 drivel so the rest of us can continue the debate.  Thanks.

Typical & pathetic in equal measure.

MODS - do what you want.  My only suggestion would be rename 'Off Topic' to 'The Left-Liberal Dicussion Forum, all other opinions censored'.

Not a f*** given.

I think he means "Discussion".

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:22 am

McLaren wrote:Duty

"How are the government treating refugees, in your opinion?"

Not in the way that my humanist world view would like.

The way to treat anyone in your economy is really pretty simple, give them what is necessary to meet decent living standards.

I think that is exactly how our government are treating refugees.

I believe the government, working with local councils, ensure that any refugees in this country who have been granted asylum have housing, medical support and other basic necessities.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:32 am

TopHat24/7

You should try the golf forum, I have often thought of it as a right wing hootenannie.

"without proper investigation and analysis that such support will not place an unfinanceable burden on the State"

As a scientist and empiricist I would argue that history provides us with enough experiments to answer the question "should a country accept refugees". We know that countries can take great numbers of refugees with no harm to their economy. What made you think this situation had never been tested before?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:47 am

I was waiting for a farmer in Harrogate once in the snow and no-one gave me any soup or a chicken burrito even though I was cold and hungry in fact no-one could be arsed to be in the streets it was so cold f*cking northerners think they're so hard yet friendly boll0cks they're all w*nkers except Jeff.
Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:52 am

Galted wrote:I was waiting for a farmer in Harrogate once in the snow and no-one gave me any soup or a chicken burrito even though I was cold and hungry in fact no-one could be arsed to be in the streets it was so cold f*cking northerners think they're so hard yet friendly boll0cks they're all w*nkers except Jeff.

Sorry, wrong thread, mean't to post it on the "some wise words from Tony Benn thread".

Ps, northerners are still greedy moaning w*nkers though.

Pps, except Jeff.
Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:57 am

Galted wrote:I was waiting for a farmer in Harrogate once in the snow and no-one gave me any soup or a chicken burrito even though I was cold and hungry in fact no-one could be arsed to be in the streets it was so cold f*cking northerners think they're so hard yet friendly boll0cks they're all w*nkers except Jeff.

One time.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:31 am

Wait, our agenda hasn't been exposed has it? I knew we'd get busted soon enough. Letting Duty in as a gayer, we had to make sure he voted UKIP to balance things out, whilst Truss is allowed because whilst he's foreign, he doesn't want Muslims getting everything they want. But you've seen through it all, Toppy, even with these token gestures of acceptance for other possibly right wing figures. 

We weren't smart enough, guys, we just couldn't win.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:36 am

Two Pages.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:50 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Wait, our agenda hasn't been exposed has it? I knew we'd get busted soon enough. Letting Duty in as a gayer, we had to make sure he voted UKIP to balance things out, whilst Truss is allowed because whilst he's foreign, he doesn't want Muslims getting everything they want. But you've seen through it all, Toppy, even with these token gestures of acceptance for other possibly right wing figures. 

We weren't smart enough, guys, we just couldn't win.

I am the token right-winger on here, though, as much as one may jest. Like an internet version of Question Time.

TopHat, in spite of everything, still votes for the centre ground. And didn't Truss vote for Labour?

I'm the only right-wing libertarian in the village.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:53 am

Duty wrote:TopHat, in spite of everything, still votes for the centre ground

UKIP are not the centre ground.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:54 am

McLaren wrote:
Duty wrote:TopHat, in spite of everything, still votes for the centre ground

UKIP are not the centre ground.

I thought he voted Conservative?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:00 am

I assumed he voted UKIP due to his non evidence based reasoning and typical right wing tropes. But you are correct, that would also fit the profile of a tory voter.

Is it really the case that the off topic section is considered liberal? I usually post on the golf section and ,possibly unsurprisingly given the golf demographic, it is mainly comprised of right wingers.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:08 am

The moderation on this forum used to have a pro-Labour slant.

These days...no idea.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:11 am

Slightly left of centre, I'd say.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:38 am

McLaren wrote:I assumed he voted UKIP due to his non evidence based reasoning and typical right wing tropes.  But you are correct, that would also fit the profile of a tory voter.

Is it really the case that the off topic section is considered liberal?  I usually post on the golf section and ,possibly unsurprisingly given the golf demographic, it is mainly comprised of right wingers.

I'd assume that a load of people who visited a golf forum would slice left or right pretty evenly split.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:47 am

We have some (particularly a posted who you may all have met called super_realist) who shank it well right.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:14 am

This has the potential to be a good topic and debated in a decent manner could help educate and sway a few peoples feelings so knock off the insults, it's pathetic and ends up with people not being bothered to post at all.

There's a couple of other problems as well Mac, who's screening the people coming in, where are they from etc etc. Was on Sky news this morning about ISIS saying months ago that they'd flood Europe with 'fake' refugees so it needs to be checked thoroughly.
It's an absolute mess this and really the EU in particular should have had a better plan in place for it

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:29 am

Well if we're talking about refugees, I believe our government treats them in a perfectly fair and just manner.

I'm not quite sure what McLaren is trying to imply, because he has failed to elaborate on the initial post, and not replied to my post about how our government works closely with some local councils to ensure that refugees are accommodated with a decent standard of living.

It is also worth noting, contrary to McLaren's earlier musings about how Britain should be 'ashamed', that this country has around 115,000 refugees, with 2,000 of those from Syria and plans to take more.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:57 am

Woah woah woah! I'm a Northerner and some random stranger ran out of petrol outside my house a couple of weeks ago in the rain. I saw him and gave him a lift to the petrol station and back.
Today I was in London, tried smiling at people on the Tube, people looked at me like I'd shat down their neck.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted on Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:46 am

Hero wrote:

Woah woah woah! I'm a Northerner and some random stranger ran out of petrol outside my house a couple of weeks ago in the rain. I saw him and gave him a lift to the petrol station and back.
Today I was in London, tried smiling at people on the Tube, people looked at me like I'd shat down their neck.

You took the stranger to get petrol due to the natural northern distrust of strangers and the unease of having them near to the homestead.

Only pedos, serial killers and downies smile at people on the tube hence the unfortunate reception.

Still, as I like you, Hero, I am prepared to believe that you would have given me a lift until I was beyond walking distance of your house. In future, when I slag off northerners except for Jeff you may infer that it's except for Hero as well.
Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:07 am

The tube is arguably the worst place in the world. I reckon if there were a large crash on the underground it would take 10 minutes of passengers being stuck before one would snap and try eat someone.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:32 am

It is sh*t, even with the new air-conditioned divisionless carriages. I walk to work from Bank or Cannon Street even when it's raining rather than venture into the rectum of London. Hate the f*cking Underground workers as well, wish they'd all be press-ganged/blackmailed into becoming suicide bombers and sent to visit random estate agents.
Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:36 am

Aye, I've often wondered whether it's better to work in a factory and go home to tight finances rather than being a city worker like half the people on the tube gets up insanely early to go to work, does his work, goes home with a miserable disposition all the way through. Tino appears to be an anomaly where he takes care of a large brood and is relatively happy (on the rare occasions when his 6 month old son hasn't been drinking). Look what its done to tophat. He seems to have shed his sense of humour more than he has allegedly shed his weight.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:36 am

Galted wrote:It is sh*t, even with the new air-conditioned divisionless carriages.  I walk to work from Bank or Cannon Street even when it's raining rather than venture into the rectum of London.  Hate the f*cking Underground workers as well, wish they'd all be press-ganged/blackmailed into becoming suicide bombers and sent to visit random estate agents.

I can make it happen.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy on Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:53 am

I just thought he made pasta sauce?

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:30 am

Sad thing about problems like this is the politics comes first and the humanity element comes second...

You're either tough on immigration or you aren't....

Have nothing but sympathy for these people and that picture of the little boy was heart breaking especially If you have two of your own....

Maybe sometimes it's just better to stick your head in the sand and get on with your own life........Life isn't fair...It's s**t for a majority of people.....But it's the way it is !!

Sometimes you have to just count your lucky blessings that it isn't you..

Sounds harsh but there is nothing we can do about it...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:24 am

"You're either tough on immigration or you aren't"

Rubbish. It is possible to have a perfectly fair and sensible immigration policy, as UKIP have been advocating for a long while.

Immigration is a good thing, but not when you have brain-dead ideas by the EU that successive Labour and Conservative governments have acquiesced to. The same ideas that lead to this country having to turn away skilled migrants because of the negative effects of mass immigration, and the same ideas that mean this country cannot take as many refugees as we should.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:41 am

I should have put in "Perceived"... before "You're either tough on immigration or you aren't"..

Obviously I'm pro-immigration..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:15 pm

Not meaning to open up a massive can of worms but there have been numerous pictures of male refugees taken completely out of context. Surely a strong healthy young male is more likely to trek from Syria to Germany not because of terrorism but because they are physically more capable of doing. Pales into insignificance when you realise that the photos are fake, doctored or taken completely out of context.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:38 pm

I am an immigrant myself- not from a war torn country, and have been here for 15 years and am now a citizen.

I have seen horrors, driven by poverty, apathy and hence these photographs do not move me as much as they move others. one time I dug out dead bodies, including children from the rubble of an earthquake.

anyway - to this topic -

controlled immigration and intake of genuine, Syrian war affected refugees is the way to go. also intake has to be proportional to population density and indigenous population growth rate, growth of economy etc..

the peblem with the EU is that they are mandating quotas without apparent logic. I don't condone the Hungarian treatment of the refugees but I can understand why. just because it is in the EU doesn't mean it's a wealthy country. they are scared off refugees dropping off the grid and disappearing into the system.

I am not convinced of the veracity of several of the refugees. there are Pakistanis and African country emigrants.

what Britain has proposed - take refugees from the camps is the most pragmatic approach of all countries.

you could argue that the immigrants on the move are the more valuable ones since they have shown determination and grit, but then that will go against the face of helping genuine Syrian conflict affected

the biggest concern I have is the ability and willingness of the refugees to integrate into mainstream society. a lot of our current problems such as radicalization are due to unwillingness to integrate.

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:47 pm

Bravo sir.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:26 am

Funny that the countries that these immigrants/refugees (s.t. determination) would much more easily assimilate into (causing less lifestyle upheaval for families in particular), that also happen to be nearer and richer, are not taking a single one.....

At least we can't say we weren't warned, repeatedly.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum