The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+27
pedro
westisbest
McLaren
puligny
kwinigolfer
SmithersJones
Eyetoldyouso
BlueCoverman
MontysMerkin
Mad for Chelsea
lorus59
Bob_the_Job
Dolphin Ziggler
Davie
Be_the_ball
1GrumpyGolfer
hend085
JAS
GunsGerms
beninho
golfermartin
Roller_Coaster
I'm never wrong
incontinentia
raycastleunited
MustPuttBetter
super_realist
31 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue 01 Sep 2015, 1:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

It's more the leaving it to the last minute which is nonsense. It is appalling business practice for the buyer to do this, as the seller knows they can keep the price high.

What is the point in the window being open for two months if nothing gets done until the last day? Just make it a day long, the opposite of a DFS sale.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 10 Sep 2015, 6:31 pm

Can we slow down on the plane crash talk please?  warning  I'm flying to the USA next week.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by raycastleunited Thu 10 Sep 2015, 6:33 pm

McLaren wrote:
Sorry to say but there is no evidence to support there being a best seat to take on a plane.

I would much rather be relaxing in 1st class in a nice flat bed then squeezed into economy with you. Or should I say "coach" for you mac?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 10 Sep 2015, 6:40 pm

I have never been in 1st class other than when walking to me seat. Are 1st class or business class actually worth it?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 10 Sep 2015, 6:53 pm

"relaxing in 1st class" with plenty of free drinkies, ray, and then you won't have to worry about a thing.

Bon voyage, have fun while you're here.

Depends on the airline, Mac, and who's paying. Well worth using f/f upgrades or small premium for the pleasure though. PanAm's 1st class was superb.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 10 Sep 2015, 7:02 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:Mac, surely you'll be making room in your bedsit for a Syrian?
The different between a real SJW and a keyboard SJW?

Mac, no? No comment? Don't fancy it? Say no more......
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 10 Sep 2015, 8:16 pm

MPB

Missed that. I don't have a spare room so it might be a little tough.

Although does anyone else think that the government allowing its citizens to offer a vital service is totally shirking their responsibilities. It is true that we should be accepting more refugees and housing them is clearly a function government should be carrying out. It is a very kind offer for people to make to the refugees but it should be a last resort after the government has done its job.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 10 Sep 2015, 9:26 pm

Oh I was only joking about it being a bedsit.
Still a shared room is better than no room for these people Mac. I was certain you'd be doing your bit
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 11 Sep 2015, 9:49 am

A heads up guys, please don't out bid me on this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JORDAN-SPIETH-2011-High-School-Yearbook-Masters-US-OPEN-CHAMPION-/221810389979?hash=item33a4edf3db

Thanks. thumbsup
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 11 Sep 2015, 9:58 am

McLaren wrote:A heads up guys, please don't out bid me on this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JORDAN-SPIETH-2011-High-School-Yearbook-Masters-US-OPEN-CHAMPION-/221810389979?hash=item33a4edf3db

Thanks. thumbsup

"BARGAIN ALERT!!!

These will get tougher to find as he wins more Tournaments and MAJORS!!!"

the worrying thing is that someone will pay a few hundred dollars for this.

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:03 am

GunsGerms wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:Given that everyone ought to know that fuel tanks are located all throughout the wings and lower fuselage, and that fuel lines connect them to the burning engine I'd think it was logical to want to get off as soon as possible.
I missed the part where the plane blew up, or where fire spread to other parts of the plane??. Modern airliners are designed to isolate fires and prevent them spreading.

I'm not saying wait til you're on fire, but the fact that no-one was even treated for any injury or smoke inhalation would suggest it wasn't that urgent of a situation. I'm sure they were queuing to slide down the escape chute anyway.

Referred outrage.
Seriously? Are you really that daft?? Have you never heard of people recommending you sit within 7 rows of an exit? Ever wondered why that might be?

Who told you that, Denis Bergkamp? What happens if you are in the 8th row?
What's Bergkamp got to do with it? No, a pilot, amongst others, told me that. It relates to the time one has to get off a plane with a realistic chance of surviving a fire.

McLaren wrote:Navy

Sorry to say but there is no evidence to support there being a best seat to take on a plane.
Wrong.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:04 am

Thanks. thumbsup

What sort of sad pr1ck would bid for that? Good luck Mac. Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:07 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:Given that everyone ought to know that fuel tanks are located all throughout the wings and lower fuselage, and that fuel lines connect them to the burning engine I'd think it was logical to want to get off as soon as possible.
I missed the part where the plane blew up, or where fire spread to other parts of the plane??. Modern airliners are designed to isolate fires and prevent them spreading.

I'm not saying wait til you're on fire, but the fact that no-one was even treated for any injury or smoke inhalation would suggest it wasn't that urgent of a situation. I'm sure they were queuing to slide down the escape chute anyway.

Referred outrage.
Seriously? Are you really that daft?? Have you never heard of people recommending you sit within 7 rows of an exit? Ever wondered why that might be?

Who told you that, Denis Bergkamp? What happens if you are in the 8th row?
What's Bergkamp got to do with it? No, a pilot, amongst others, told me that. It relates to the time one has to get off a plane with a realistic chance of surviving a fire.

Wrong.

Berkamp had an irrational fear of flying. Reading between the lines maybe you do too? Was the pilot called Andreas Lubitz?

What is the realistic chance that you will ever be in a plane on fire?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:08 am

Thanks. thumbsup

What is a high school yearbook?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:12 am

GunsGerms wrote:Berkamp had an irrational fear of flying. Reading between the lines maybe you do too? Was the pilot called Andreas Lubitz?
Ahhh. Forgot about Bergkamp's flying willies. Nope, I don't have an issue with it at all. If a plane makes a forced/crash landing and is on fire, the chances of getting off in one piece (assuming one survives the impact) are simply higher if one is near an exit. I agree it's probably a pointless exercise but I was shooting at Inco's seemingly daft suggestion that rooting around in overhead lockers when a plane's on fire is an OK thing to be doing. If I'm ever prevented from getting off a plane in a similar situation, the silly billy that's in the way may need to spend time looking for teeth as well (although I doubt a fight is going to speed up the exit time), certainly that's what they'll be doing on the tarmac after we've both (hopefully) got off.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:13 am

GunsGerms wrote:...What is the realistic chance that you will ever be in a plane on fire?
That's the point isn't it? The chances are low but we should act as if "it'll never happen to me" and, therefore, behave like an arse?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:18 am

Navy

I Have had a look on web of science and can't find anything about seat location and survival in a plane crash.

Where did you find the data about the better place to sit?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:18 am

The chances of it happening are irrelevant.
We were discussing a situation where it HAD happened
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:19 am

Mac he said a pilot told him
You really should take time to read the things you are responding to
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:19 am

I Have had a look on web of science and can't find anything about seat location and survival in a plane crash.

Where did you find the data about the better place to sit?
picard Oh, go boil your head Mac.

MustPuttBetter wrote:The chances of it happening are irrelevant.
We were discussing a situation where it HAD happened
Exactly.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:26 am

McLaren wrote:I have never been in 1st class other than when walking to me seat.  Are 1st class or business class actually worth it?

Depends where you are going, what airline, and what is important to you. On airlines like BA, the difference between business and first is pretty minimal and I'm not sure its worth the extra few thousand quid. On the gulf carriers like Etihad first means a private cabin with a double bed, 32in TV, private ensuite shower room, and I'm sure the air hostesses will do whatever you ask them.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:29 am

Thanks for that navy. I have been able to find this, which does support your argument.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a1918/4219452/

So you might be correct, but I find it odd that you won't tell me what lead you to believe there was a best place to sit. I used to be a bit of plane geek and at the time it was the general consensus that there wasn't all that much evidence about where to sit to increase your odds of survival.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:42 am

Not WoS, Mac, but will this satisfy you a bit:

https://fseg.gre.ac.uk/fire/fire_safety_tips.html#aviation_crash

I assume you'd concede a Fire Safety Engineering Group to be reasonably competent to comment? They even suggest within 5 rows of an exit....

Perhaps you'd like to peruse their publication:

“An Analysis of human behaviour during aircraft evacuation situations using the AASK V3.0 database.”. Galea E.R., Finney, K.M., Dixon, A.J.P., Siddiqui A., and Cooney D.P. The Aeronautical Journal, Vol 107, Number 1070, pp 219-231, 2003.

McLaren wrote:...but I find it odd that you won't tell me what lead you to believe there was a best place to sit...
I told you - at least one (on recollection, two have mentioned it in conversation) pilot.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:44 am

McLaren wrote:Thanks for that navy.  I have been able to find this, which does support your argument.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a1918/4219452/

So you might be correct, but I find it odd that you won't tell me what lead you to believe there was a best place to sit.   I used to be a bit of plane geek and at the time it was the general consensus that there wasn't all that much evidence about where to sit to increase your odds of survival.

Mac, I'm sure if you are flying at 400mph into the Twin Towers, where you sit is irrelevant. I suspect though that in regards to an evacuation situation, i.e plane on fire, sinking in water, being near the exit is preferable to being far away. Doesn't seem too hard a concept to grasp.

A bit like if the building is on fire, I'll be happy I'm on the ground floor and not the 27th.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:49 am

The best place to sit in terms of surviving a crash is between the wings.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:54 am

incontinentia wrote:The best place to sit in terms of surviving a crash is between the wings.
I seriously doubt you can support that unless you're saying you're near the wing exits. There is evidence that impact survival (not fire) is better towards the tail (I presume because many planes go in slightly/very nose-first), not over the wings. Even Mac's link, above, suggests the tail is the place to be.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:55 am

Check this out! First class is the least survivable part of a plane to sit in! The back is the place to be.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9957319/Which-is-the-safest-seat-on-an-aircraft.html
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 11 Sep 2015, 11:04 am

McLaren wrote:I think Japan is #1 on my wish list of places to travel to.  I love asia and think Japan would be like asia with the strange level turned right up.  Used pantie vending machines anyone?
I've been fortunate enough to travel to Japan 10-15 times (both work and pleasure) and I absolutely love it. It's clearly an underestimated travel destination and not as expensive as everyone makes it.
As Mac says it's a fun mix of ancient traditions and extreme modernity. Additionally it's probably the only place in the world more civilised than NW Europe (incl. Scandinavia super) and you actually feel a bit inferior - which is kind of a nice feeling for a change. You don't see a lot of westerners in Japan and certainly not outside certain areas of Tokyo. You'd have to be a bit adventurous and curious to get the most out of a visit, and, although signifcantly improved in recent years, English is not widely spoken.
Tokyo is second no none in many respects  and the country side is also extremely beautiful in places.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Sep 2015, 11:14 am

I'd like to go to South Korea too actually.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 11 Sep 2015, 11:39 am

I love south Korean food.

Super, Are you into asian women?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Sep 2015, 11:43 am

Mac, I certainly find Asian women attractive.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 Sep 2015, 12:00 pm

Would love to have gone to Japan; never did. Doubt if I ever will now, too many other places I'm much more interested in.
Hated working for Japanese company, miserable experience.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 11 Sep 2015, 1:01 pm

apart from the asian women when you can only see their eyes...

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 11 Sep 2015, 3:27 pm

not around the eyes

you're back in the room

Last edited by Roller_Coaster on Fri 11 Sep 2015, 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammatical idiocy)

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 11 Sep 2015, 4:57 pm

In Lost the front of the plane and the back of the plane both seemed to fare not too badly but there was no sign of the middle. I'm not sure if that helps
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 11 Sep 2015, 7:54 pm

Lost.

There is a show that started off well. Then, well certainly 'lost' its way.

Shame.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 Sep 2015, 8:12 pm

Lost? "Started off well then lost its way." Talking about Serena Williams??
Roberta Vinci is tennis's version of YE Yang! Love it!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 11 Sep 2015, 8:22 pm

Veni, vidi, vici. Who'da thunk it?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Sep 2015, 8:23 pm

Glad she beat her. Serena is the biggest baby, a terrible loser and a very bad sport.

Remember when she was getting gubbed by Watson, the old 9C bottom lip was out and she was about in tears, then all of a sudden, Watson chokes and Williams is all sweetness and light.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:59 pm

I can easily see that if the fire was detected early then the evacuation could well have been fairly low key. If you think how you behave at work when there's a fire drill you haven't been notified of it's easy to imagine some people not panicking and collecting their luggage before exiting the plane. I believe injuries are quite common when sliding down the exit chutes, which could well account for some or all of the 14 minor injuries. A lot has been said about how one wouldn't know unless they'd been there, but an account from a panicking person held up and one from a calm person grabbing their laptop would be as different as the opinions given here.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 12 Sep 2015, 3:22 pm

I saw a good trivia question the other day:
Which footballer has played for England under their last eight managers?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 12 Sep 2015, 4:02 pm

I see Corbyn has won the Labour leadership, can't help thinking it's the Tories that are the real winners here. I sincerely hope we're not into a 70's - mid 90's cycle again.

Kwini, Carrick?

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 12 Sep 2015, 4:04 pm

No, Not Carrick!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sat 12 Sep 2015, 5:07 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:I saw a good trivia question the other day:
Which footballer has played for England under their last eight managers?

Gareth Barry?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 12 Sep 2015, 5:14 pm

MPB,
That's right! clap
Not surprised it turned out to be Gareth Barry, but it's a pretty stunning stat - bet that's the only time that's ever happened. Unique! Ale

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sat 12 Sep 2015, 5:56 pm

Thought he was worth a punt as I know he is the only player still in the top flight who played for England at old Wembley.

Think that's right anyway!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 12 Sep 2015, 6:12 pm

Imagine he must be MPB. Played well again today!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sat 12 Sep 2015, 6:22 pm

Certainly did Kwini.
I'd really like Everton to have a good season. Much depends on Lukaku I think.
I respect the way they try and play, respect their manager, respect the fact they are producing good young players.

Watching United v Liverpool right now makes me so glad I grew up in the 80s and 90s when football was so much better!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 12 Sep 2015, 6:28 pm

Also wish Everton well - they also need that Coleman injury to be something minor; loaning Garbutt to Fulham could be a very bad move.

I've seen more passion in Charity Shield games than this nonsense at Old Trafford - worst half of football I've seen in a long time.

I'll keep the decades I grew up watching football to myself . . . . . suffice to say my head still spins at the notion Jimmy Dickinson isn't in the FLHOF. Incredible how bling has taken over the game, style (if that's what it's called) over substance.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 12 Sep 2015, 7:56 pm

Liked Barry at the Villa.

Always thought he was a decent player.

Hopefully we can get 3 points away to the foxes tomorrow.

Will be a tough game.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 13 Sep 2015, 12:34 am

Barry? Never would have thunk it.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next