Your Open Rota

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your Open Rota Empty Your Open Rota

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:06 am

You have just been apointed the head of the Royal and Ancient, what would your open rota be?

If I were in charge the Open Rota would be;

Castle Stuart
Trumpton (assuming Kwini has successfully assassinated him and it is now owned by decent folk)
Celtic Manor (the moronic casual fan will value Ryder cup "magic")
The Oxfordshire
The London Club
Renaissance (if tinkering is kept to a minimum)
Wentworth (it is already totally f***ed)
Castle course (If it is felt a St Andrews course is needed on the Rota)
Kingsbarnes
Dundonald

That is a little Scottish heavy and so I would be happy to add any suitable courses near the bigger population areas like London or Birmingham.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Your Open Rota Empty Re: Your Open Rota

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:10 am

No need to be so cynical.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:12 am

Lets have your rota Super?

I see no need to keep tinkering with the historic venues. Lets leave them for the everyday golfer to enjoy.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:20 am

The Oxfordshire?? Really? Have you played it? On presumably the same basis what about the Grove?

I do think the Open should stick to links as a test as it's the only Major that does, indeed very few tour events do (the Dunhill, Scottish & (sometimes) the Irish Open and that's it. Oh and Lawries new tournament at Murcar.

I'd like to see Saunton, Porthcawl, Trumps & Dundonald added to the current list and St Andrews demoted to 1 in 14 or 15 like the others.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:27 am

JAS

As I said, happy to add a venue like the grove. I only added the Oxfordshire as it has hosted a tour event in the past. I have never played the oxfordshire but as long as it can be set up for the pro's it ticks most of my boxes. As you can see my theme is newer courses.

And having Dundonald, castle stuart, trumpton(maybe) and the castle course would provide enough links action over the years.

What is for sure is that if I were in charge the first thing I would do is remove TOC from the rota and seek some sort of protected status from an organisation like historic scotland.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:36 am

It'll be interesting to see how the British Masters at Woburn takes off. Whereas I think the Open should stick to links I think there is scope for a tournament showcasing the best inland tracks. It's starting at Woburn but it would be good to see the likes of Sunningdale, Ganton, Gleneagles even St Mellion get s look in

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:39 am

Why protect TOC? Every course gets changed over time, TOC has had tons done to it, even before the level you want it saved at.

I really don't think links is necessary at all.

Carnoustie,
Dornoch,
Loch Lomond
Woodhall Spa
Sunningdale
Woburn
Bro Hof Slott
Morfontaine

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:43 am

I would like to see a push for more Northern Ireland courses, or maybe even the Republic: Portrush, Royal County Down, Ballybunion etc.

Not that it would ever happen, but nice to dream.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:44 am

I do like the idea of taking it to a continental european venue.

We often complain that the US has too many of the WGC's and majors, but if the UK were to share its only major around the US would surely have to give up at least a WGC or two.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:49 am

McLaren wrote:I do like the idea of taking it to a continental european venue.

We often complain that the US has too many of the WGC's and majors, but if the UK were to share its only major around the US would surely have to give up at least a WGC or two.

Yeah, Oirland, Denmark, Sweden, Holland all have courses more than capable of holding it and keeping to the pointless "Links" pre-requisite.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 12:03 pm

One way in which the European tour suffers is that other than the UK the countries it visits are not all that big on golf, whereas the PGAT is always in a country where golf has at least some core support.

If you were to add another country or two to the rota would that mean you had at least a few countries in Europe where golf was at least a big deal one week a year? Could spreading the open around Europe increase the pool of sponsors willing to fund European tour events in Europe?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 12:26 pm

The London Club? Have you been/played it? It is a boring, long slog of a Jack Nicklaus course with impossible infrastructure (the approach/exit is via a long narrow winding country lane with houses either side).  And yes, I have done both as I live fairly close by. For those who are not aware, it is nowhere near London, it is in the wilds of Kent and was built by a Japanese company who saw the land on a map, saw was in Stanstead Lane (nothing to do with the airport) and saw an airport symbol nearby (Biggin Hill!). There have been several owners since and no-one seems to be able to make it pay - I wonder why? Even the European Tour isn't keen on using it.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 12:59 pm

I think that was the point LP, Mac deliberately chose courses he condsiders not to fit his Doak utopia.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 1:08 pm

Mac,
"Assassination" is way too good for Trump - I have far better ideas which I'd better keep to myself.

Why are you dissing Wales & Northern Ireland but including recent designs that haven't yet stood any test, let alone the test of time?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 1:51 pm

Kwini

I have included wales and stated I think it would be good to see the open moved around the continent. I think you may have overlooked the point of my list in regards to course quality, super seems to have summed it up well.

At some point the historic courses will be altered to an unrecognizable state and we should stop using them well before that.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:08 pm

Mac, you probably don't realise it, but most courses have been altered well beyond their original design, and have been like that for decades.

I played TOC last week, and as I played the course, I looked backwards on every hole, if the course was played the way it was intended it would be a far greater course.

How about a TOC Open played the proper way around?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:33 pm

So what is it that makes a "great" course and worthy of holding an Open? I just happens to notice at Carnoustie last week that on the Championship Course there is the sight of a cavernous bunker which makes you think on EVERY tee shot(ok on the first the one you can see you probably can't reach but there is a reachable one hidden  on roughly the same line. On 17, unless it's downwind, the cavernous bunker on the left is out of reach but then there's the Barry Burn. Every single approach shot has bunkers to contend with as well. I know it's not all about bunkers and burns but I think Carnoustie is the best bunkered course there is. The reason the last 4 holes are often called the hardest mile in golf is not necessarily because they are the hardest 4 holes you'll ever see (although they are hard enough) I believe it's because the mental pressure of avoiding hazards has been building since the first and progressively accelerating from the 10th such that by the time you get to 15 your golfing nerve, if still intact is just one mediocre shot away from being in tatters. I think it's the supreme test.

Last edited by JAS on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missed a bit)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:37 pm

What I love about Carnoustie JAS is that very element of uncertainty of the last 4 holes. You can win it and lose it over those 4 holes.

It has what most Open venues don't have, drama. If there is one course which deserves an Open every 5 years, there is only one on the rota worthy, and that's Carnoustie.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:43 pm

Sorry Mac,
Didn't notice Celtic Manor; hardly Open Championship calibre though, do you think? (Hardly in Wales either.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:19 pm

Kwini

Again, if I were in charge course quality would be a secondary issue. Protection of our finest links courses would be my first priority. I see no reason to change the older courses so that they are modern ball and club ready.

Stick tees a 100 yards into a field at Celtic manor and leave TOC/RsG's/Carnoustie etc alone.

If the pro's really want to play on the classic courses of the UK/france/holland etc then they can agree to use tournament balls from the regular medal tees or campaign for a general equipment roll back.

If the likes of celtic manor are not good enough then the R and A can cough up the money to build their own courses to mess about with.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:27 pm

Celtic Manor is superb.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:35 pm

Super, would you mind listing what you think the top 10 courses that you have played are?

(out of interest and as a way to bring up more potential open venues)v

Thanks.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:56 pm

Why would that matter Mac? What I consider a good course, might not be considered suitable for an Open venue.

THe courses I have enjoyed the most are (in no order)

1.Carnoustie,
2. Ladybank,
3. Blairgowrie
4. Castle Course,
5. Kingsbarns
6. Nairn
7. Celtic Manor
8. Montrose
9. Gleneagles
10. Dornoch
Notable others Elie/Leven/Lundin/Monifieth/Crail

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 4:07 pm

Pretty good list super, but I am surprised that celtic manor is in that company, and that you did not seem to enjoy north berwick as much as some of the other scottish links. I think you must have a very "championship" style taste in golf course style to leave out NB and TOC.

Montrose is a very underrated course, some of the best ground movement you will see on any course including TOC. It has that perfect rumpled sheet look.

I would happily add the Ryder cup course at gleneagles to my open rota.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 4:14 pm

What would be the point of having all these 'untouched' classic courses like TOC if no one ever sees them?
A bit like winning an Oscar and keeping it in the cupboard under the stairs
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 4:20 pm

McLaren wrote:Pretty good list super, but I am surprised that celtic manor is in that company, and that you did not seem to enjoy north berwick as much as some of the other scottish links.  I think you must have a very "championship" style taste in golf course style to leave out NB and TOC.  

Montrose is a very underrated course, some of the best ground movement you will see on any course including TOC.  It has that perfect rumpled sheet look.

I would happily add the Ryder cup course at gleneagles to my open rota.

Sorry Mac, I could never include a course which only had 3 noteable holes into my favourite courses, please also not I include the courses that i "enjoyed" most, doesn't necessarily mean they are the "best"

Celtic Manor was great. I had the ball on a string, it suited my shot shape and eye. Greens were superb, weather great etc etc.

Montrose was the biggest surprise I've had. Truly special course that I never expected to be so good. Almost like stepping back in time. Felt like a Goldfinger v Bond era I was playing in.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 4:22 pm

mpb

People would see them when they play on them. Remember in this scenario I am head of the r and a, so play on TOC would be means tested.

Someone like Super on £30K a year would not pay as much as high earners to get a tee time.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 4:31 pm

Except people wouldn't be as interested in playing because it's no longer an 'Open course'.
It's just been left to become obsolete, but well preserved. Like a golfing Stonehenge?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 4:37 pm

super,
Very interested in your appraisal of CM; never played it but walked 36 holes at a Wales Open and thought several holes, especially on the front nine, had a quite "American" feel to them (nothing wrong with that), and kinda thought the 14th thru 16th holes lost their way a touch. Loved the apparent challenge it presented and a shame the Wales Open has gone by the wayside, into a lay-by at the very least.
A couple of very difficult spectator bottle-necks too; not sure how they coped with that at the RC.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 4:37 pm

McLaren wrote:mpb

People would see them when they play on them.  Remember in this scenario I am head of the r and a, so play on TOC would be means tested.

Someone like Super on £30K a year would not pay as much as high earners to get a tee time.

30k? Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh I'd still be on the bus if I earned that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 4:41 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:super,
Very interested in your appraisal of CM; never played it but walked 36 holes at a Wales Open and thought several holes, especially on the front nine, had a quite "American" feel to them (nothing wrong with that), and kinda thought the 14th thru 16th holes lost their way a touch. Loved the apparent challenge it presented and a shame the Wales Open has gone by the wayside, into a lay-by at the very least.
A couple of very difficult spectator bottle-necks too; not sure how they coped with that at the RC.

Was that at a time when it was Roman Road/Monty Course or was it the 2010? I'm not one for history or anything, so I can separate a tired relic like TOC from the history.
I appreciate CM from a matchplay point of view, I loved the risk reward element of the course, there was a lot of water, but I find that my accuracy improves as a result. Not everyones cup of tea, but I really liked the options it offered from the tee. OK, they milk the Ryder Cup element a bit much and not every hole is classic or even original, but it just suited my mood at the time and the way I play golf, nice touches like they took my car at the clubhouse, took my bag to the range etc. Just a nice place.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 4:46 pm

The Montgomerie is actually an excellent course too, although a tough walk.
Wasn't overly keen on the Roman Road

And the 16th was probably my favourite hole on the 2010

Last edited by MustPuttBetter on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 4:47 pm

Super

Super £30K isn't a bad salary. I would be surprised if you earned much more than that at your age.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 4:51 pm

Mac, Why would you be surprised? and what do you mean "at my age"? I'm 40 for goodness sake.

I'm certainly very much overpaid, but it's industry standard, risky at the moment though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 4:57 pm

super, Definitely 2010.

MPB, When I was there the fairway seemed cambered such that every drive, right of centre or left of, rolled into heavy rough. Subsequently it looks as if they've evened it out a bit. Also, the spectator experience for the "Wales Open", directions/parking/course access, was abysmal.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 4:59 pm

Super

If you don't mind, to the nearest £10k what do you earn?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 4:59 pm

I can sympathise it must be a terrible place to watch, I didn't find much problem holding a fairway though, maybe they've sorted that out.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 5:00 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

If you don't mind, to the nearest £10k what do you earn?

Why are you so interested? Seems unfair that you should ask that, but you won't even reveal what you do for a job.

I don't want to get into actual figures but it's a lot more than 30k

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 5:04 pm

Wow, thats pretty good. I am not even at the £30K mark. So I feel no guilt in taking free rounds at the castle and trumpton from you. You can get the drinks as well.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 5:06 pm

What do you think I should earn?

Do you agree with that journo from The Herald who thinks it's fine to vandalise property if you deem their wealth "immoral"?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 5:12 pm

I don't "think" you should earn anything. I was just curious about how much you earned, but if you don't want to say then it's ok. I know you work in oil and gas so you could be anything from the dinner lady to a chemist to a oil rig worker, and therefore could have pretty much any salary possible
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 5:18 pm

Well Mac, let's just say I pay 40% and  I'm well aware I earn more than most and that I'm very grateful I made some good career choices, but I worked hard to get there, a long time in education, and spent a lot of years doing crummy jobs for poor money getting experience.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 5:22 pm

Super

Well paying for a couple of tee times at trumpton will make little impact on your wallet. Very Happy
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 5:23 pm

Kwini, rather cleverly both times I've played the 2010 I put my drive in the rough on the left/above the fairway so didn't experience trying to hold it. The view from the second shot down to the green though is fantastic.
Thinking about it, walking down the 16th fairway, either side, and trying to get to the 17th must be a nightmare.

As Super mentions, they take your bag and its waiting for you on the first tee, clean them after, show you to a locker etc. the experience is good fun, I almost felt like a proper golfer. Until I hit the ball of course
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 5:25 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:Kwini, rather cleverly both times I've played the 2010 I put my drive in the rough on the left/above the fairway so didn't experience trying to hold it. The view from the second shot down to the green though is fantastic.
Thinking about it, walking down the 16th fairway, either side, and trying to get to the 17th must be a nightmare.

As Super mentions, they take your bag and its waiting for you on the first tee, clean them after, show you to a locker etc. the experience is good fun, I almost felt like a proper golfer. Until I hit the ball of course

Whose locker did you get MPB? I think I got Olazabals.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 5:41 pm

First time a blank one and second time Davis Love III
Poor record really
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 5:50 pm

"First time a blank one and second time Davis Love III"

Was that Davis Love II mating record? If so a pretty good hit rate.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 5:53 pm

The Davis Love's seem quite prolific.
Or, more likely, unimaginative
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 6:39 pm

Not very many posters have put forward their full "ideal" open rota. Come on people lets see what you would do.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 6:57 pm

I'll be a fuddy duddy and say I don't see that much wrong with the current rota, though disagree with TOC every five years, even 6 or 8 would make a significant difference.
It's difficult to assess necessary infrastructure required from 3,000 miles away but, as JAS says, there are plenty of great links courses that deserve a second look. Would like to see all the current rota included, perhaps add Princes (as they were so hospitable when I went there, unlike the entitled pricks up the fairway at RSG), but would love to see RCD added, and perhaps Porthcawl - but no idea if they are suitable. The Devon courses look great, plus Hillside, Formby and Ganton; no idea about the Scottish courses or Silloth - and no idea if any of the East Anglia courses are up to Championship level.

I wouldn't change from the Links tradition - the only reason we bang on about giving other course, Woodhall Spa for instance, a shot is because there isn't a proper GB&I tournament on an inland course apart from Wentworth.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum