The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corbyn: Was he right NOT to sing the National Anthem?

+18
superflyweight
Hammersmith harrier
Dolphin Ziggler
navyblueshorts
TopHat24/7
lfc91
GSC
wheelchair1991
TRUSSMAN66
Scottrf
gw
Rowley
Lowlandbrit
Stella
ShahenshahG
Mind the windows Tino.
McLaren
Alistair
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Corbyn: Was he right NOT to sing the National Anthem? - Page 2 Empty Corbyn: Was he right NOT to sing the National Anthem?

Post by Alistair Wed 16 Sep 2015, 10:05 am

First topic message reminder :

It's Day 4 of Jeremy Corbyn's reign as Labour Leader and he's constantly facing questions around his leadership, policies and actions.

Yesterday, whilst attending the 'Battle of Britain' remembrance service, Corbyn stood silently whilst the National Anthem was sung. Corbyn is a firm believer in abolition of the Monarch and chose not to sing.

Was he right? Should he have sung out of respect for the Queen or is he right to stick to his beliefs?

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Corbyn: Was he right NOT to sing the National Anthem? - Page 2 Empty Re: Corbyn: Was he right NOT to sing the National Anthem?

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 18 Sep 2015, 4:03 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:It was disrespectful to the servicemen that died who were fighting for God/the Queen/their Country and provided the liberal freedoms which Corbyn enjoys so much today.

That said, he's an agnostic republican, therefore was it really much of a surprise and is it just good ol' "principalled" Jezza Corbs again....

Nonsense.

How can you talk about liberal freedoms when you see fit to tell the man what he must do? "They died for your freedoms - how dare you now act according to your conscience." It doesn't work that way.

How many servicemen fought for God or the Queen? Bearing in mind the Queen wasn't on the throne during the Battle of Britain, I'd suggest not many fought for her.

And what about Scottish servicemen who died? Would Corbyn have been honouring their sacrifice in singing an anthem that talks of crushing rebellious Scots?

Let's face it, God Save the Queen, aside from being a dirge, is an anthem expressing nothing but a love of subjugation.

Would you urine on someone's grave, someone you've never met, just because 'liberal freedoms' meant it wasn't a crime to do so??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Corbyn: Was he right NOT to sing the National Anthem? - Page 2 Empty Re: Corbyn: Was he right NOT to sing the National Anthem?

Post by Pr4wn Fri 18 Sep 2015, 4:05 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:It was disrespectful to the servicemen that died who were fighting for God/the Queen/their Country and provided the liberal freedoms which Corbyn enjoys so much today.

That said, he's an agnostic republican, therefore was it really much of a surprise and is it just good ol' "principalled" Jezza Corbs again....

Nonsense.

How can you talk about liberal freedoms when you see fit to tell the man what he must do? "They died for your freedoms - how dare you now act according to your conscience." It doesn't work that way.

How many servicemen fought for God or the Queen? Bearing in mind the Queen wasn't on the throne during the Battle of Britain, I'd suggest not many fought for her.

And what about Scottish servicemen who died? Would Corbyn have been honouring their sacrifice in singing an anthem that talks of crushing rebellious Scots?

Let's face it, God Save the Queen, aside from being a dirge, is an anthem expressing nothing but a love of subjugation.

Would you urine on someone's grave, someone you've never met, just because 'liberal freedoms' meant it wasn't a crime to do so??

I'm offended by this ridiculous use of hyperbole.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 18 Sep 2015, 4:06 pm

People died so that he could use that hyperbole.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 18 Sep 2015, 4:07 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Nonsense.

Ridiculous example. Peeing on someone's grave is a criminal offence. Choosing not to sing the national anthem isn't.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 18 Sep 2015, 4:10 pm

He's become a caricature of himself. What a moronic comparison.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 18 Sep 2015, 4:28 pm

LOLZ all round (espcially as that four letter acronym will particulalry irritate some).

It's about respect, sure there are other examples that could be come up with of something that whilst not illegal is still extremely disrespectful - that folk on here wouldn't do or condone.

Could even say trample on someone's grave, as that's not illegal, the only illegality to my earlier example was indecent exposure, though you'd normally just get cited for a low-level public order offence (like drunks peeing in shop doorways).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Fri 18 Sep 2015, 4:31 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Nonsense.

That's not really a like-for-like comparison now, is it?

How was not singing the national anthem in and of itself disrespectful to servicemen? Given that Corbyn had a valid reason for not doing so, it clearly wasn't a sleight. And if Corbyn intended to show disrespect towards servicemen, surely he could have found a slightly less obscure way of doing so. Perhaps, to borrow your example, he could have peed on a wreath, or maybe even the cenotaph?

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 18 Sep 2015, 4:32 pm

Singing God Save the Queen shows respect to an institution he does not believe in. Attending a memorial service for those that gave their life in the war shows respect to those dead. He did not do the former, he did the latter, so who exactly has he disrespected here?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 18 Sep 2015, 4:33 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote: And if Corbyn intended to show disrespect towards servicemen, surely he could have found a slightly less obscure way of doing so. Perhaps, to borrow your example, he could have peed on a wreath, or maybe even the cenotaph?

Or perhaps he could have chosen not to attend the memorial service for the servicemen?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 18 Sep 2015, 4:34 pm

Tophat's arbitrary rules of conduct. Applies to Lefties, Poor People, Republicans and anyone else he doesn't like.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Fri 18 Sep 2015, 4:53 pm

Rowley wrote:
jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote: And if Corbyn intended to show disrespect towards servicemen, surely he could have found a slightly less obscure way of doing so. Perhaps, to borrow your example, he could have peed on a wreath, or maybe even the cenotaph?

Or perhaps he could have chosen not to attend the memorial service for the servicemen?

Not quite obvious enough. That would simply show a lack of regard rather than an active disregard. You have to remember just how much Jeremy Corbyn hates servicemen. Particularly ones who have given their lives for his freedom.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 18 Sep 2015, 4:59 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Tophat's arbitrary rules of conduct. Applies to Lefties, Poor People, Republicans and anyone else he doesn't like.

Happy for you to point out some example or exactities of the arbitrary nature of my posts.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 18 Sep 2015, 5:03 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Nonsense.

That's not really a like-for-like comparison now, is it?

How was not singing the national anthem in and of itself disrespectful to servicemen? Given that Corbyn had a valid reason for not doing so, it clearly wasn't a sleight. And if Corbyn intended to show disrespect towards servicemen, surely he could have found a slightly less obscure way of doing so. Perhaps, to borrow your example, he could have peed on a wreath, or maybe even the cenotaph?

Chuck slouching like a grumpy school kid and dressing like a tramp, the whole think reaked of not giving a f***. Which I thought was disrespectful.

Don't get me wrong, fits his Robert Lindsay character perfectly, that anti-establishment 'bad' attitude, but in reality is just typical arrogant reverse snobbery. At least with Corbs we know it's not false or just for show. It's him. Good luck getting the masses to vote for him when he campaigns for none voting minorities.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 18 Sep 2015, 5:10 pm

I agree re his dress sense. I wish he would be a more snappy dresser like Boris Johnson.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Sep 2015, 6:16 pm

Has Jeremy Corbyn ever waved a union jack or St George's flag? I want to know whether he is prepared to wear Union Jack boxer shorts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 18 Sep 2015, 6:17 pm

Nore Staat wrote:Has Jeremy Corbyn ever waved a union jack or St George's flag?  I want to know whether he is prepared to wear Union Jack boxer shorts.

You're too moderate. It is a tattoo for me or nothing.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Sep 2015, 7:14 pm

I wonder what plans if any Corbyn would have for the House of Lords ... as well as the Monarchy.  I suppose he wouldn't offer a referendum for a switch to a Republic in his manifesto, but I am sure he would be keen to reduce the influence of the Monarchy in terms of taxpayers expenditure and symbolism and its possessions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 19 Sep 2015, 3:34 pm

No one should be forced or expected to sing any anthem especially some as imperialistic and outdated as 'God Save the Queen'. While I'm not a Labour voter I am starting to like him and think he is great for British politics

The fact that he annoys all the right wingers such as the Tory's, the pro-war anti foreigner bigots and the Murdoch press is always a good thing

This link is brilliant by the way:

http://www.theladbible.com/articles/a-wwii-veteran-has-shot-down-a-racist-moaning-about-refugees-coming-into-the-country

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 19 Sep 2015, 3:47 pm

Steffan wrote:The fact that he annoys all the right wingers

He doesn't annoy me! Very Happy

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2