The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan Evans called up for Davis Cup semi-final

+15
Marky
Mad for Chelsea
bogbrush
YvonneT
HM Murdock
JuliusHMarx
ListenUp
Henman Bill
banbrotam
monty junior
Born Slippy
LuvSports!
CaledonianCraig
temporary21
Guest82
19 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Dan Evans called up for Davis Cup semi-final - Page 4 Empty Dan Evans called up for Davis Cup semi-final

Post by Guest82 Thu 17 Sep 2015, 2:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Strange move this. I'm a big fan of Evans, think he has lots of talent.

To be fair, I am guessing he probably has more chance of winning a match than Ward at the moment. Edmund is obviously injured too.

GB likely to still be relying to two Murray singles wins and the Murray's winning the doubles.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Dan Evans called up for Davis Cup semi-final - Page 4 Empty Re: Dan Evans called up for Davis Cup semi-final

Post by bogbrush Thu 24 Sep 2015, 10:37 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Born Slippy wrote:I think Craig's point was that your other examples were not like for like. Federer could afford to lose to Monfils last year because he had Stan who was himself better than any of the French team. Similarly, the likes of Tipsy and Troicki have been borderline top 10 players and could take pressure off Novak.

GB is literally a one-man team and Andy has no margin for error at all. He has to win every match if GB are to win.

The overall point is obviously right. The format enables one top class player to effectively win the DC on his own but its a huge effort to do it.

Exactly. Team GB winning the Davis Cup would be a more monumental achievement for Andy Murray than it was for Roger Federer or Novak Djokovic. Trying to compare a GB win is like trying to compare a Man United FA Cup win with Wimbledon's one. One is no great surprise as one has an abundance of talent at their disposal whilst the other was not and was a great shock considering the contrast of talent at their disposal and the fact it is unlikely to ever happen again.
It really isn't a shock. If one top player shows interest and the others don't, their 'team' is automatically favourite because they are virtually certain to win two singles and have a great chance in the doubles.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Dan Evans called up for Davis Cup semi-final - Page 4 Empty Re: Dan Evans called up for Davis Cup semi-final

Post by Henman Bill Sat 26 Sep 2015, 3:06 am

You both have merit to your arguments but remember we only beat USA 3-2, losing the doubles to the Bryans, and that James Ward had to come from 2 sets down to beat John Isner on the 4th set tiebreak and 15-13 in the fifth. Without that great victory by Ward, we quite likely would have lost to the USA. So it's not all Murray. 8, 9 times out of 10 Isner wins that.

That's why we have to take the chance this year, a result like that won't happen every year. Even in a year when lots of top players skipped, a result like that was still needed to get through.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by greengoblin Sat 26 Sep 2015, 12:50 pm

Is the murray dtl backhand winning shot the most criminally underused shot in tennis atm?

What I mean is that he plays it very well but he hardly uses it in the big matches. It only turns up when he's playing a minnow - i.e. someone he's know's he's going to beat pretty much whatever.

Maybe the gasquet flatter forehand rivals it.

greengoblin

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Tue 29 Sep 2015, 9:56 am

Jamie Murray seriously impressed me, his lobbing is unreal. His slice lob on the return and his backhand topspin lob is as good as it gets. He is better than Andy at doubles for me, it's just that Andy is by far the better returner so they make a great doubles team

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4