The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marciano or Mayweather

+3
Rowley
Scottrf
PPVxHOTTY
7 posters

Go down

Marciano or Mayweather Empty Marciano or Mayweather

Post by PPVxHOTTY Wed 23 Sep 2015, 12:57 pm

The talk of breaking records etc, but who will be ranked higher in ATG lists.

Marciano's resume includes Ezzard Charles, Archie Moore, Jersey Joe Walcott, Roand LaStarza, Harry Matthews, Joe Louis. It doesn't look too bad to me. Neither does Mayweathers, Castillo, De La Hoya, Moseley, Pacman etc.

Marciano's knockout of Walcott was #1 knockout in ESPN's top 10 all time KO's because the significance of that fight. Regardless of when Rocky fought them, he's got several all time greatest boxers on his resume. Floyd only has a couple. The biggest difference between Rocky and Floyds career imo is that Rocky continuously fought the #1 contender year in and year out. I can't remember the last time Floyd fought the #1 contender.

Marciano's reign did unfortunately happen during a lull in talent in the division. Floyd's reign happened in perhaps the greatest pool of WW's in decades but he just chose not to fight any of them. Worse than that, these WW's also chose not to fight each either too. Sad state of affairs in that division. It should be carrying the sport with elimination bouts left and right but the fad is to cherry pick. Someone needs to step up.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Marciano or Mayweather Empty Re: Marciano or Mayweather

Post by Scottrf Wed 23 Sep 2015, 1:03 pm

No chance Mayweather will sit anywhere near as low as Marciano in the future. Even with the amount his record is scrutinised now with the factor of being a current boxer I don't think he would for many people.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Sep 2015, 1:13 pm

Whilst Marciano has all time great fighters on his record, neither Moore or to a lesser degree Charles are really regarded as all time great heavies. Both are certainly regarded as such at light heavy. I am with Scott, putting aside the all time lists tendency to place heavies too high I cannot see an argument for placing Rocky above Floyd.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 23 Sep 2015, 1:19 pm

If you look at a result like vs JMM. Masterful boxing performance, didn't use his weight to bully, yet almost completely written off due to weight. Whereas Marciano gets a lot of credit for LHWs (not diminishing the wins), Hagler's best win is arguably a Hearns moving up in weight. I think time will be very kind.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 4:03 pm

Mayweather, hands down.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 4:14 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Mayweather, hands down.

Thats how you'll end up getting knocked out.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 24 Sep 2015, 12:07 pm

Mayweather by a mile.

Old fighters are way too protected.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 24 Sep 2015, 12:10 pm

If I had a Boxing "Field of dreams"..................Marciano v Dempsey would be one of my three big fights....

I'd love to see that.....

Marciano was a great fighter......Thought Holmes was well out of order after the Spinks fight...

Rocky always found a way.....like great fighters do.....I'm not going to compare him to Floyd...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down