PGA Tour: It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over: Notes from the Ballwasher

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

PGA Tour: It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 23 Sep 2015, 2:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Maybe not, Yogi, but the 2015/16 season will end this coming Sunday in Atlanta. The Tour Championship (by a fizzy drink) will see 29 survivors of the FedEx Play-Offs compete on a highly regarded, but visually boring, Donald Ross original, East Lake Golf Club, a Par-70 test which will hopefully reward fine golf and not just the winner of the long-drive contest.

2).Yup, 18 of the Top 40 leaders in driving distance have made it this far, only Zach Johnson, Danny Lee and Kevin Na surviving among the shortest eighty players on Tour. The PGA Tour is becoming a bomber's paradise, with shorter hitters at an ever increasing disadvantage. Truly drive for dough, putt for show.
Even a few weeks ago, at The Barclays, this was apparent as the likes of Dustin, Bubba and Jason Day were able to carry uphill landing areas and fairway bunkers that were in play for 80% of the field. No point in returning to Plainfield until that imbalance is rectified.

3).We know "chicks dig the long ball", but how fair was it that the Tour used forward tees and friendly pin-placements on Day 2 of last week's BMW Championship, presumably so that the long-ballers were able to maintain their advantage? Pointless choosing a course such as Conway Farms that stretches to 7,200+ yards if you actually play the event at 6,900.

4).Nothing to detract from Jason Day's clinic in Rounds 1 and 2, but it sure makes for a boring tournament if you eliminate half the field before they've started. Exaggeration but that's what things are coming to.

5).What do we think of Jason Day vs Jordan Spieth for POTY? I'll go for multiple Majors every time.
And, it's not recognized as such in the guidelines for the title, but Spieth's two titles after the 2014/15 PGA Tour season started were arguably the jump start he needed, his final round in Sydney to win the Aussie Open as good as any round in the past twelve months.

6).Jim Furyk is absent this week and there must now be the very real chance that he'll miss the Presidents Cup. Jay Haas would then be free to pick anyone he liked and I would hope that he's put JB Holmes on standby, next in line in the qualifying list, coming off a 4th place finish at the Beemer and, last but not least, 5th in driving distance.

7).In 2008 we went to the Travelers tournament in Hartford for the first time and followed a young Jason Day. He played beautifully, making up in length and power for what he lacked in touch around the greens, and you could see he was a star in the making. But he was outplayed on that day by Jon Mills.
The third member of the threesome was Chez Reavie who looked no more a pro golfer than half a dozen guys from the local club; sure enough Reavie won later that year in Canada, played in the 2011 Tour Championship, got injured, lost his card, but won this past week's WTF event in North Carolina round about the same hour JASON DAY holed the winning BMW putt, and thus retrieved his Tour card.
Jon Mills? Last I saw this summer he was struggling to make cuts on the Canadian Tour.

8).Other WTF competitors who have ensured they'll be on next season's PGA Tour include Anirban Lahiri and Emiliano Grillo, two losses to the European Tour. But Martin Kaymer is back, though wonder why he's not playing in Germany this week? Sponsorship conflict perhaps, or just making a protest at the VW emission shenanigans??

9).Just had a thought. The belly putter will be officially banned from the PGA Tour once the '14/'15 season wraps up, so will Adam Scott be allowed to "anchor" in the Presidents Cup?
Fingers crossed that the winners will be remembered for their excellent play and not for picking up their ball. (Is it correct that Annika was accused of giving advice because she told the European ladies "never to give another effing putt while I'm around"? Imagine she'll be European Captain in 2017.)

10).Still fancy Oosthuizen to play well in these Play-Offs so expecting he'll do well this week. But, in tribute to Yogi, I'm hoping that Henrik Stenson brings home the Tour Championship, deja vu all over again.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:05 pm

People have always had nicknames for a persona, but they don't have to be taken as ridicule. For example. For years and years, Steve Davis was painted as a man who was incredibly boring (although compared to 9C he's like David Niven), but that didn't take away from him appearing to be a decent person (Davis, not 9C)

I'm sure if any of us were in the golfing limelight there'd be people able to pick up characteristics or appearance cues from all of us to use as something descriptive, and there'd only be a few who would have fake outrage about it. The rest just wouldn't care.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:44 pm

I used to give juvenile nicknames to people too.  Then I turned 12 and started to date girls.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Wed 30 Sep 2015, 7:55 am

GPB wrote:I used to give juvenile nicknames to people too.  Then I turned 12 and started to date girls.

Seems that Tiger, Boo, KJ, JJ, JB and Bubba didn't have your pious, precocscious "maturity"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt on Wed 30 Sep 2015, 11:52 am

super_realist wrote:
GPB wrote:I used to give juvenile nicknames to people too.  Then I turned 12 and started to date girls.

Seems that Tiger, Boo, KJ, JJ, JB and Bubba didn't have your pious, precocscious "maturity"
Unfortunately, with the exception of KJ Choi (and that is because his Korean name slightly more difficult to pronounce), that's is American "culture" for you. Give me British "maturity" any day.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 30 Sep 2015, 3:25 pm

Another chapter in the decade-long riddle that is Anthony Kim, this time thanks to Doug Ferguson:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/doug-ferguson/anthony-kim-speaks-golf-only-fond-memory-mine/

Too much talent to believe he's not going to be back sometime . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock on Wed 30 Sep 2015, 3:40 pm

That was one interesting read Kwin. Thx for sharing.

Does not look like he will be back anytime soon.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson on Wed 30 Sep 2015, 5:09 pm

Hopefully he returns, one of the biggest wastes of talents if he doesn't return! He was going to win majors. If he is happy that's all that matters. Hopefully the desire returns fully one day and he can stay injury free.

Great read though!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Wed 30 Sep 2015, 5:35 pm

It sounds like Kims body has broken down. Anthony Kim, with money in the bank and seemingly having a good time...where did it all go wrong??!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Wed 30 Sep 2015, 7:09 pm

Nickname for Jordan?

Katie Prize? West Bank?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Wed 30 Sep 2015, 7:33 pm

Slapper?

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball on Wed 30 Sep 2015, 9:18 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Another chapter in the decade-long riddle that is Anthony Kim, this time thanks to Doug Ferguson:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/doug-ferguson/anthony-kim-speaks-golf-only-fond-memory-mine/

Too much talent to believe he's not going to be back sometime . . . . . . . .

Great read Kwini tkx, it was a real shame the way he disappeared off the radar. If he has had a disc fusion at 26 I can't ever see him coming back. He was great to watch on a golf course.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum