The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another mass shooting at a college in America

+33
Scottrf
Alistair
aja424
ShahenshahG
LivinginItaly
JuliusHMarx
Volcanicash
superflyweight
dummy_half
Good Golly I'm Olly
Pal Joey
Hero
TRUSSMAN66
Hoggy_Bear
kingraf
Duty281
Hammersmith harrier
greengoblin
Corporalhumblebucket
Dolphin Ziggler
XR
Rowley
ONETWOFOREVER
wheelchair1991
Mad for Chelsea
GSC
TopHat24/7
RuggerRadge2611
Pr4wn
navyblueshorts
seanmichaels
westisbest
Fernando
37 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Another mass shooting at a college in America  Empty Another mass shooting at a college in America

Post by Fernando Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 20:53

Umpqua Community College was locked down Thursday morning after reports of a shooting on campus.

The Douglas County Sheriff's Office said the 911 center received reports of an active shooter around 10:38 a.m.

An Oregon State Police spokesman told CNN there were 10 confirmed deaths and more than 20 wounded. Hospitals as far away as Eugene were preparing to take patients.

The shooter was reportedly detained.

The FBI was sending agents from several offices around the state to Roseburg, and the ATF said it was sending additional units from Portland and a K-9 team to assist in the investigation.

Fire District No. 2 in Douglas County tweeted a warning for people to stay away from the area.

According to the Douglas County Sheriff's Office, students, faculty and staff were being transported to the Douglas County Fairgrounds.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Another mass shooting at a college in America  Empty Re: Another mass shooting at a college in America

Post by westisbest Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 22:24

More innocent lives lost.

Sad, but no surprise though.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Another mass shooting at a college in America  Empty Re: Another mass shooting at a college in America

Post by seanmichaels Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 8:29

He was English according to reports...

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 9:03

Hey ho. Another day, another massacre in the Land of the Gun-toting Crazies...

Seriously though, I know it's in the ****ing Constitution, but how long are they willing to let this continue????
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 9:31

If you haven't seen it already, watch Jim Jeffries on gun crime. I know he's a comedian, but he makes some extremely solid points. There really is no argument against gun control other than "bugger off, I like guns".

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 9:37

Homicides by handguns in 2014 in the USA : 19,392
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

Coalition forced killed in Iraq :4,809
Coalition forces killed in Afghanistan : 2,807

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Afghanistan_(2001%E2%80%93present)

I'm not sure what else needs to be said?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 10:07

More Americans have died from guns (domestically) since 1968 than in all the wars in American history.

137 SCHOOL shootings SINCE Sandy Hook.

Check out Piers Morgan's Twitter feed for just how prevelant retardation is among dumb gun-toting Yanks.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 10:53

Sadly the greed of a few outweighs the lives of many. Its gotten to the point where its not a surprise to wake up and see a mass shooting in the US.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 10:53

Another stat.

This is apparently the 45th school shooting in the US this year.

If you break that down, it means (roughly) 5 every month, i.e. one school shooting every six days.

That means that, on average, a little more than once a week, some person in the US walks into some school and opens fire. Crazy!!!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 10:58

Some people in the US need a gun. I'm talking about places where a cougar or a grizzly bear is likely to come through your window.

You don't need a gun in a city...

The US needs to get it's gun laws sorted because the fact that 19,000 people were murdered last year because of gun crime is shocking!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 11:14

GSC wrote:Sadly the greed of a few outweighs the lives of many. Its gotten to the point where its not a surprise to wake up and see a mass shooting in the US.

It's not a few though. Not just powerful corporate gun lobbyists.

Like I said, check out Piers Morgan's Twitter feed.....!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 11:16

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Some people in the US need a gun. I'm talking about places where a cougar or a grizzly bear is likely to come through your window.

You don't need a gun in a city...

The US needs to get it's gun laws sorted because the fact that 19,000 people were murdered last year because of gun crime is shocking!

They need a hunting rifle. Frankly they probably only need the kind of gun the constitution was written for.

It's hand guns, military-grade assault weapons and semi/full-automatics that require constitutional reform.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 11:21

I agree with you toppy on this issue its alarming

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 11:23

much as I dislike Piers Morgan*, he's pretty much spot on with all he's saying about this. The fact the US still don't recognise the link between the ridiculous ease with which they can own what are basically easy-killing machines, and the sheer amount of killing that is done on American soil, completely baffles me.

* I'll quantify that by saying that at least he's unafraid to state his opinions, but too often comes off as an obnoxious, know-it-all, so-and-so, whose opinions are sometimes deliberately inflammatory IMO. Still, he has a right to them...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 11:24

wheelchair1991 wrote:I agree with you toppy on this issue its alarming

What's alarming? Gun violence in the States or the fact you agree with me on something......? Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 11:25

TopHat24/7 wrote:

What's alarming? Gun violence in the States or the fact you agree with me on something......? Smile

both Run

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 11:26

Laugh

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 11:27

Mad for Chelsea wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

both Run

He's right

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 11:55

I see nobody managed to bait the TRUSSY bear from his man cave.

He'll have to come out some time lol

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 12:14

Please don't tell me he's pro-guns. He's always struck me as someone who's quite liberal, politically.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 12:22

Truss is anti-guns but anti-anti-gun legislation (i.e. fairly blinkered defender of American values/rights).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 12:28

The whole reason they were allowed firearms as part of the constitution was to fight against a tyrannical government.

But their government has drones, jets and tanks.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 12:32

Pr4wn wrote:The whole reason they were allowed firearms as part of the constitution was to fight against a tyrannical government.

But their government has drones, jets and tanks.

So the answer is obvious, allow US citizens to buy more powerful weapons!

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 12:35

So many die from incidents like this

Still no change.

Why?

'Murica. That's why.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 12:41

Actually Truss is for gun control I think? Just that he doesn't see a way it will ever happen (gun lobby too powerful, Americans too attached to their "Rights").

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 14:10

TopHat24/7 wrote:More Americans have died from guns (domestically) since 1968 than in all the wars in American history.

137 SCHOOL shootings SINCE Sandy Hook.

Check out Piers Morgan's Twitter feed for just how prevelant retardation is among dumb gun-toting Yanks.
Check out Piers Morgan's Twitter feed for just how prevalent retardation is with Piers Morgan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 17:14

I'm sure we will soon see Truss' feelings about this. I am intrigued to see his reaction, and hope he is emotive in his posts. Hes not been on for a couple days, not banned, but his last post was pretty good.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 17:19

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I'm sure we will soon see Truss' feelings about this. I am intrigued to see his reaction, and hope he is emotive in his posts. Hes not been on for a couple days, not banned, but his last post was pretty good.

Really??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 17:39

In the boxing section, supportive of Derby about dealings with depression. I'm a sucker for anyone with sense and sensitivity around that subject.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 2 Oct 2015 - 18:26

If you can get Truss away from his "USA!USA!" rhetoric he's actually pretty left-wing, very empathetic, and understands things like mental issues very well (much better than quite a few others on here I might add).

Back on topic. I guess the big question is how to change the mentality of an entire people? well, let's say half a people. It's true that most of us struggle to understand how an incident like this can not automatically lead to much stricter gun control (think Dunblane and the immediate response, which you'd have to say has worked given there hasn't been a school shooting since). However, Americans as a whole won't feel this way, many of them will feel that the best response is to allow MORE guns so that people can protect themselves better.

This may seem absurd to us, and I suspect even Truss would struggle to explain exactly why they have this mentality, but it's clearly there. Sure, part of it is the love of the constitution, the flag, etc. but... The Amendment doesn't say anything beyond a right to bear "arms" (or possibly "Arms" with a capital "A" depending on the version you read). Now you wouldn't expect all weapons to be allowed to be legally carried, and as pointed out guns are unlikely to be much good if the public does take up arms against a tyrannical government... So how could one change the American mentality about guns?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 2:27

Interesting discussion on BBC's R4 PM programme this afternoon featuring various of BBC's staff currently or formerly based in USA. One of them made the point that the huge level of NRA funding of politicians means that it has a massive hold over politics - not only Republicans but many Democrats also are heavily dependent on NRA funding, and while that reliance continues there is a big blocking majority and virtually no chance of any meanginful reform of gun laws. 

Another person said that the change could happen but, if so, it would take a number of generations.  There was no chance that USA would suddenly wake up one morning after yet another massacre and suddenly recognise a need for change.

I suppose, on a different note, there are some signs of a gradual long term trend in USA away from support of the death penalty. Maybe in the long term changing population dynamics (eg balance between City and rural populations) might have an effect on support for gun law reform.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by greengoblin Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 12:13

bbc bias is very blatant on this. Obvious that they love Obama and want gun control. What people don't get is that in a country as large as the USA, gun controls would be incredibly difficult to enforce.

greengoblin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 13:36

greengoblin wrote:bbc bias is very blatant on this. Obvious that they love Obama and want gun control. What people don't get is that in a country as large as the USA, gun controls would be incredibly difficult to enforce.

Countries just as big as America have enforced gun control, there are countless excuses made on this and there is no justification for standing by in the face of tragedies like this. We're all becoming desensitised to these incidents but we shouldn't be, are we to honestly believe that the richest and most powerful country on the planet cannot enforce gun control?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by greengoblin Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 14:23

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
greengoblin wrote:bbc bias is very blatant on this. Obvious that they love Obama and want gun control. What people don't get is that in a country as large as the USA, gun controls would be incredibly difficult to enforce.

Countries just as big as America have enforced gun control, there are countless excuses made on this and there is no justification for standing by in the face of tragedies like this. We're all becoming desensitised to these incidents but we shouldn't be, are we to honestly believe that the richest and most powerful country on the planet cannot enforce gun control?

I don't think gun controls are the answer anyway. Anyone hell bent on a killing spree will find a way to get weapons, whether that be a bomb, a knife, or a gun.

greengoblin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 14:35

picard

greengoblin wrote:I don't think gun controls are the answer anyway. Anyone hell bent on a killing spree will find a way to get weapons, whether that be a bomb, a knife, or a gun.
Sorry. That's a pretty sad excuse not to do anything and utterly irresponsible of their legislature. Let's assume this idiot involved in the latest shooting was back in Britain - he may well have had the same alleged behavioural issues but what's he going to do here? Maybe stab one or two people, if he gets a bit of luck? Not quite the same as accumulating 13(!) firearms, murdering 9 and injuring more.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 16:16

greengoblin wrote:

I don't think gun controls are the answer anyway. Anyone hell bent on a killing spree will find a way to get weapons, whether that be a bomb, a knife, or a gun.

Short sighted view, legislature has to be in place to make it as difficult as possible just like there is the UK.

It took the Hungerford massacre to push through the Firearms Act in 1988 but the UK now has one of the lowest gun homicide rates in the developed world whilst the USA has one of the worst. I don't see how you can say gun control would have no effect when all the evidence suggest it does.

In my lifetime there has been Hungerford, Dunblane and the Cumbria shootings.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 16:22

I have no idea how I'd starting getting hold of a gun here.

In America you need ID.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 18:24

Can probably expect at least one more mass shooting before the year is out.

Sadly.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by greengoblin Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 18:43

To all to you British folk here (and I include myself), here's what you tolerate in Britain: British soldier decapitated in the street, RAF servicemen moved away from patients so he won't 'offend different cultures'. We are the absolute pits of a country so please don't take the moral high ground on the USA. Maybe they don't want to become dumb serfs to a liberal elite.

greengoblin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 18:52

greengoblin wrote:To all to you British folk here (and I include myself), here's what you tolerate in Britain: British soldier decapitated in the street, RAF servicemen moved away from patients so he won't 'offend different cultures'. We are the absolute pits of a country so please don't take the moral high ground on the USA. Maybe they don't want to become dumb serfs to a liberal elite.

The first of those wasn't 'tolerated'. Headscratch

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 18:53

greengoblin wrote:To all to you British folk here (and I include myself), here's what you tolerate in Britain: British soldier decapitated in the street, RAF servicemen moved away from patients so he won't 'offend different cultures'. We are the absolute pits of a country so please don't take the moral high ground on the USA. Maybe they don't want to become dumb serfs to a liberal elite.

Firstly, tolerate?

Secondly, I'd rather overly cautious treatment of someone in the RAF compared to the amount of shootings in that country.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by greengoblin Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 19:07

Yes it was tolerated in the sense of there being no honest assessment of the problem of Islam. Instead we got the usual 'nothing to do with Islam' guff. The two killers got sent to prison to join lots of their mates, instead of being hung.

'overly cautious treatment'? 60 years ago people would be wanting to shake his hand for the service he does for this country. Someone willing to lay down their life for country- absolute disgrace to be treated in that fashion. Imagine the outcry if someone in a burka was asked to hide away from other patients.

greengoblin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 19:11

greengoblin wrote:Yes it was tolerated in the sense of there being no honest assessment of the problem of Islam. Instead we got the usual 'nothing to do with Islam' guff. The two killers got sent to prison to join lots of their mates, instead of being hung.

'overly cautious treatment'? 60 years ago people would be wanting to shake his hand for the service he does for this country. Someone willing to lay down their life for country- absolute disgrace to be treated in that fashion. Imagine the outcry if someone in a burka was asked to hide away from other patients.

Careful lad, you're not allowed to criticise Islam (or any religion) on this forum; it's like being in Ed Miliband's head. thumbsup

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 20:13

greengoblin wrote:Yes it was tolerated in the sense of there being no honest assessment of the problem of Islam. Instead we got the usual 'nothing to do with Islam' guff. The two killers got sent to prison to join lots of their mates, instead of being hung.

What has any of this got to do with gun control in America?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 20:54

Obviously Americans want loose (read nonexistent) gun control to avoid being made little bitches by Islam. not that complicated
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by greengoblin Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 21:06

I'm objecting to British people labelling American opponents of gun control as stupid irresponsible yokels.

One thing that's missed out of this debate is how many lives guns have saved.

greengoblin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 21:14

greengoblin wrote:

I'm objecting to British people labelling American opponents of gun control as stupid irresponsible yokels.

One thing that's missed out of this debate is how many lives guns have saved.

How many lives have guns saved? Any figures? Evidence (other than anecdotes?)

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 21:21

I'm sure guns do save lives, but I'd be willing to bet it's more often than not saving lives in danger of being killed by, you know... other guns.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 21:28

Certainly If I was a white South African I'd own a gun.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 21:44

52 percent of Americans are pro guns....I come from an Anti gun state in Massa but the further South you get the higher the percentage rises....Said it before most Southern Dems are more right wing than Northern Rep's. .

The republicans own the Senate and are a wholly owned subsidiary of the gun and medical companies...

Besides the constitution is like the Bible. ...

These kids are collateral damage. ..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next