The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Go Again! The Premier League thread

+37
sirfredperry
spencerclarke
Lowlandbrit
Mat
Trebs
JamesLincs
socal1976
Corporalhumblebucket
CFCNick
Holymiky
Crimey
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Nico the gman
compelling and rich
TRUSSMAN66
lfc91
Alistair
Liam
owen10ozzy
Atila
Jermaine2015
Hero
LivinginItaly
hampo17
guildfordbat
Ent
Fernando
FIFA Diva
Marky
kingraf
Duty281
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
westisbest
GSC
Dolphin Ziggler
Hammersmith harrier
41 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 5 Empty We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Guest Sat 03 Oct 2015, 4:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

that's the golden boot wrapped up

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 5 Empty Re: We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Guest Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:07 pm

Getting shut of Lovren would constitute a successful season in my eyes

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 5 Empty Re: We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:12 pm

Yes along with mignolet and allen

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:13 pm

LivinginItaly wrote:Liam just re-establishing Liverpool as a regular top four team would be a enough for me to constitute a successful period  at Liverpool.

But that wasn't what I was referring too. I was responding to GSC, who I agree with, in the fact that matching or coming close to achieving at Liverpool, what he did at Dortmund, will be near on impossible.

As a Liverpool fan POV, then yes, just consistently achieving a top 4, will be a successful period, but surely Klopp & Liverpool football club, has aspirations to achieve way more than that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:13 pm

LiamB wrote:
GSC wrote:
Jermaine2015 wrote:Pretty surprised that Jurgen Klopp has risked his reputation and gambled on Liverpool. There are likely to be vacancies at FC Barcelona, FC Bayern and maybe Chelsea in the near future. But nonetheless I wish him well.

Could be fairly astute I guess. Immediate expectations are low, there's a fair amount of dollar to spend, and there's no Gerrard type players that dictate to a degree how the squad and team shapes up. Tbh I'm not convinced he'll be able to replicate his Dortmund success, a fair amount of stuff came together at the right time for Dortmund to be a success, but the right appointment for Liverpool right now.

I think you can pretty much state 100% he won't be able to replicate that success. He's now managing in a complete different ball game. If you compare his success, are Liverpool going to achieve winning the league twice, win the f.a cup & be a champions league finalist, within the next 4-5 years? No chance. Over there it's Bayern or Dortmund, over here, it's not just Liverpool or Man U, it's Arsenal, Man City & Chelsea too.

I'd be amazed if he achieves a top 4 this year. I'd actually state this first season will define his longevity at the club. Fail to make top 4, the excitement & momentum of his arrival fades & the club remain in the doldrums, unable to bring top quality players to the club......

Bit cynical there Liam. Would have you expected Liverpool to win the Champions League in '05 when Rafa took over considering the squad?

The squad we have got has 'some depth' IMO. Considering he likes to play with a high intensity, high work rate. We already have players in this squad to fit the mold.

Funny even when we appoint one of the most sort after managers in the world, we sill get the football cynics and hipsters trying to find fault. The Premier League will be a better place with him there. Am looking forward to see how we progress and considering how open the league is this season, Top 4 is a very distinct possibility.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:17 pm

Nicely edited out my final sentence, whereby I stated achieving a top 4, will make you an attractive club again & players wanting to be involved in the Klopp revolution. It wasn't all cynical, just a realistic view point of how important this first year could be, to the overall longevity & success of Klopp going forward.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:21 pm

LiamB wrote:....It wasn't all cynical, just a realistic view point of how important this first year could be, to the overall longevity & success of Klopp going forward.

No sh|t!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:22 pm

LiamB wrote:
LivinginItaly wrote:Liam just re-establishing Liverpool as a regular top four team would be a enough for me to constitute a successful period  at Liverpool.

But that wasn't what I was referring too. I was responding to GSC, who I agree with, in the fact that matching or coming close to achieving at Liverpool, what he did at Dortmund, will be near on impossible.

As a Liverpool fan POV, then yes, just consistently achieving a top 4, will be a successful period, but surely Klopp & Liverpool football club, has aspirations to achieve way more than that.

I know Liam, i wasn't trying to say you were wrong, Obviously Liverpool and the supporters have aspirations above consistent champions league football, but after many new beginnings and false dawns i think we need to accept that we need to walk before running.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:23 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:I am a clown

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:24 pm

This appointment is both sweet and sour for me.
Sour in that he's gone to Liverpool. Sweet in that the Premier League is a better place with him in it.
Already I'm loving his 'normal one' quote.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:25 pm

LiamB wrote: Please ban me off the site again because I'm being a grade A jizzmonkey again

Fun game Liam

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:29 pm

I was having a nice conversation, then some clown starts editing my posts & just making sarcastic replies. Nothing wrong with me, I'd be a huge loss to this forum, if I'm banned again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:33 pm

LiamB wrote:I was having a nice conversation, then some clown starts editing my posts & just making sarcastic replies. Nothing wrong with me, I'd be a huge loss to this forum, if I'm banned again.

Shouldn't state the obvious with stupid posts and you might not get sarcastic replies.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:35 pm

Are you implying, I'm stupid?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:49 pm

LiamB wrote:Are you implying, I'm stupid?

That sentence itself does raise the question.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:54 pm

LivinginItaly wrote:Yes along with mignolet and allen
Don't think Allen is a bad player, he's just a bit lightweight. Same can be said for Coutinho but he has the ability to make that problem much less of an issue. Klopp needs a decent CB and, for my money, a Souness type enforcer in Midfield to give Coutinho the protection he is sorely lacking

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 09 Oct 2015, 1:16 pm

Agree that allen's problem is he is too lightweight. I think Can could be the midfield enforcer we need, if only he could be given a run of games in his best position then maybe we would know.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 09 Oct 2015, 1:19 pm

Allens problem is hes crap
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 09 Oct 2015, 1:20 pm

Hero wrote:
LiamB wrote:Are you implying, I'm stupid?

That sentence itself does raise the question.

Laugh

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 09 Oct 2015, 1:27 pm

I did read it thinking of this:

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Oct 2015, 5:16 pm

It would be amazing if Klopp could turn around Liverpool. The Suarez season was a freak season let down by a poor defence. And many players didn't believe in Brendan Rogers and wanted out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 09 Oct 2015, 6:45 pm

The Fat One is back in the Prem. Sunderland hire Allardyce. I'm entirely sure he turned them down in summer and gave them negative reaction to an initial approach after Dick left so i'm intrigued about what has changed.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 09 Oct 2015, 6:52 pm

Apparently it is because he wanted (and I'm guessing has now got in place) a f'ing huge bonus if he keeps them up.

Nolan's decision to stay a free agent makes more and more sense. Carlton is still free too.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Oct 2015, 7:08 pm

In my view there are not that many better British managers than Allardyce. But there is at least a vocal minority that appear to hate him and his style of football.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Fri 09 Oct 2015, 10:31 pm

LivinginItaly wrote:Agree that allen's problem is he is too lightweight. I think Can could be the midfield enforcer we need, if only he could be given a run of games in his best position then maybe we would know.
Personally don't think Emre Can is actually any good. Someone like Sven Bender would be a marked improvement should Klopp decide to sign him.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 09 Oct 2015, 10:52 pm

Aguero out for a month with a hamstring issue.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 10 Oct 2015, 12:23 am

Nore Staat wrote:In my view there are not that many better British managers than Allardyce.  But there is at least a vocal minority that appear to hate him and his style of football.

You'd need to have a team you love managed by him to really get what that vocal group isn't really a minority.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Oct 2015, 9:36 am

Fernando wrote:Aguero out for a month with a hamstring issue.

There's LVG's luck again, out the derby in two weeks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 10 Oct 2015, 12:31 pm

Nore Staat wrote:In my view there are not that many better British managers than Allardyce.  But there is at least a vocal minority that appear to hate him and his style of football.
Allardyce will probably keep Sunderland up with workman like performances, and that's all you can do if the squad isn't up to par.

Big Sam is a manager who suits any club without ambition, will keep you in the division making the numbers up, and if that's what you want Sam's your man.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 10 Oct 2015, 1:10 pm

He suits them, he did a job for us. He's a bit like an administrator; he strips away the assets you don't need and gets you back to a footing to work from.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 10 Oct 2015, 1:44 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:He suits them, he did a job for us. He's a bit like an administrator; he strips away the assets you don't need and gets you back to a footing to work from.
The management position at Sunderland is becoming a bit like the Newcastle job,a poisoned chalice that nobody wants, I believe its something like 7 managers in 8 years for the Mackems, best see if Merlin or Gandalf are available.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 10 Oct 2015, 3:40 pm

Might not have been pretty but Sam brought West Ham back up and established them as a PL side so they could look to take the next step.

Sunderland need the same now, cant keep flirting with relegation every year.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Oct 2015, 4:39 pm

Unlikely to ever make the step up to mid table. Countless managers have tried & failed, plus the north east isn't attractive as London & any player will always opt for Newcastle over Sunderland in a head to head decision. Big Sam is there to get the million pound + bonuses, in winning ugly & avoiding relegation. Then he'd probably be happy to leave, let's face it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Sat 10 Oct 2015, 4:51 pm

Yeah but why can't these clubs make the step up? I imagine the owners want to do so and why not? They probably need to spend wisely and have the right manager, surely the goal once you establish yourself is to move on up past mid table even heading on towards Europe no?

I'm sure the fans of the clubs want that for sure, of course it takes time but there are clubs that have been in the Premier League for a long time and i can only imagine they want to see themselves climb up rather than battle for relegation each year as GSC says.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 10 Oct 2015, 5:47 pm

Sunderland already incredibly painful to watch, hire Allardyce to make sure they're the team I want to go down more than anyone else.

Replace them with a good club from the championship already
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 10 Oct 2015, 5:50 pm

LiamB wrote:Unlikely to ever make the step up to mid table. Countless managers have tried & failed, plus the north east isn't attractive as London & any player will always opt for Newcastle over Sunderland in a head to head decision. Big Sam is there to get the million pound + bonuses, in winning ugly & avoiding relegation. Then he'd probably be happy to leave, let's face it.

But if he keeps them up for a few years, and comfortably in the next few seasons, he will have done more than any of the long list of managers in recent years. Hell, just staying for more than a season would be progress.

I think he knows enough now that he'll never struggle to find players he wants. He'll be happy signing the players the likes of Stoke, West Ham and any other club moving towards upper midtable - any of the players they deem unsuitable for this loftier aim will be in the sights of Sam. He'll probably drop them about 10-20 feet deeper as a defence too so O'Shea, Kaboul, Coates etc are all less likely to be exposed in behind.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 10 Oct 2015, 9:41 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sunderland/11924221/Sunderland-manager-Sam-Allardyce-considers-a-move-for-Kevin-Nolan.html

THIS IS A HUGE SHOCK

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 10 Oct 2015, 10:09 pm

I'd be so depressed if I were a Sunderland fan right now
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Sat 10 Oct 2015, 10:48 pm

Living in Sunderland? Wink

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 11 Oct 2015, 10:27 am

similar to hero that its great to see klopp over here shame its at liverpool. would have preferred him at united before lvg as his Dortmund team really did play some of the best football ive seen, but thats all past now and he's got a tough job on his hands

liverpool are lacking any real world class players to mount a serious title challenge any time soon, city have, chelsea had hazard last season and even when our terrible team won it we had rvp firing. klopp had reus, hummels, gundogen and lewandoski all at Dortmund during his title winning seasons with liverpool he hasnt got any where near that talent and will be interesting how the transfer panel at Liverpool works as its been pretty poor recently

best chance of top four would be this season with chelsea in melt down, as united, arsenal and city have much better squads as do chelsea if they pull their finger out

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 11 Oct 2015, 8:29 pm

Tim Krul out for the season with a knee injury.

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 11 Oct 2015, 8:35 pm

Fantasy Football has Darlow as returning next weekend. Does he get a chance to show hes worth the fuss, or is Elliot going in?

Not what Schteve needed right now...

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 11 Oct 2015, 8:40 pm

Bring back the good old tough guy days in football ffs.

Not this touch someone with a feather and they go down sh1t.

It has been ruining the game for years.

Rant over. ps nit psd after earlier.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Oct 2015, 8:52 pm

Rob Elliot will be between the sticks. I knew Tim's knee was ****** last night, so no surprise to hear it confirmed. Krul blow.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 11 Oct 2015, 8:57 pm

John wrote:Rob Elliot will be between the sticks. I knew Tim's knee was ****** last night, so no surprise to hear it confirmed. Krul blow.

Thought you guys had Darlow?

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 11 Oct 2015, 9:25 pm

Darlows injured
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 11 Oct 2015, 9:26 pm

Darlows a good keeper though, not the loss it seems.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Mon 12 Oct 2015, 12:39 pm

I think Newcastle were entitled to an emergency loan as Woodman was out, I would've gone banging down the door and got Valdes.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Oct 2015, 12:45 pm

Van Gaal won't let him go to another PL team...dunno if that would apply to a loan deal (although it probably would as the man comes across as a bit of a c*nt)

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 12 Oct 2015, 1:33 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Van Gaal won't let him go to another PL team...dunno if that would apply to a loan deal (although it probably would as the man comes across as a bit of a c*nt)

He must view Newcastle as a threat.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Oct 2015, 1:48 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Van Gaal won't let him go to another PL team...dunno if that would apply to a loan deal (although it probably would as the man comes across as a bit of a c*nt)

He must view Newcastle as a threat.
He's a tactical genius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next