Fri Nov 27
2nd T20I - England v Pakistan
Dubai International Cricket Stadium

Mon Nov 30
3rd T20I - England v Pakistan
Sharjah Cricket Stadium

Squads

Test squad:
Alastair Cook (Essex, capt), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Zafar Ansari (Surrey), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire, wk), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Jos Buttler (Lancashire, wk), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Liam Plunkett (Yorkshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), James Taylor (Nottinghamshire), Mark Wood (Durham).

ODI squad:
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex, capt), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire, wk), Sam Billings (Kent, wk), Jos Buttler (Lancashire, wk), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), James Taylor (Nottinghamshire), Reece Topley (Hampshire), David Willey (Yorkshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham).

Twenty20 squad:
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex, capt), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Sam Billings (Kent, wk), Jos Buttler (Lancashire, wk), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Stephen Parry (Lancashire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Reece Topley (Hampshire), James Vince (Hampshire), David Willey (Yorkshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham).

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

England in the UAE - Page 7 Empty Re: England in the UAE

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 11:31 am

GSC wrote:I wouldn't bother declaring. Bat out the game if we can, try and wear down Pakistan ahead of the next test

Agreed. Wahab is their x factor bowler with Yasir out, hes already spent in this test and continuing to flog him in this one might leave him prone to breaking down faster in the next. Babar must be close to exhaustion too, its not quite Panessars 60 wicketless overs vs SA but hes bowled an awful lot. Mentally it must be tough for them out in the field, espeically a guy like Hafeez who would normally be bowling Maliks overs. Malik of course too has had a huge workload in this test.

The win is pretty much a non starter, they are unlikley to get a significant lead today and would only really have two sessions to bowl at Pakistan anyway. With no sign of spin or uneven bounce its hard to see how theyd take more than a handfull of wickets in that time.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 11:32 am

Matches like this are only ever interesting for the crazy stats. Where could this rank in terms of worst England games in recent memory? A few off the top of my head:

>Lara 400 match was properly boring but at least had that record and England did follow on
>That godawful Test where Sarwan nearly made 300 (2009 tour)
> The disgraceful snooze in Nagpur (I think) 2012, though at least that secured a rare series win in India
> Trent Bridge last year but did feature the comedy gold of Anderson nearly making a hundred

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 11:34 am

Wasn't there some awful test against New Zealand where Finn churned out a half-century in 3-4 hours?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 11:37 am

Duty281 wrote:Wasn't their some awful test against New Zealand where Finn churned out a half-century in 3-4 hours?

Oh my days, I had forgotten that, a very good one to add to the pantheon of awfulness!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 11:45 am

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/352663.html Just awful. Its the only other recent game of this type where both sides have managed to stay solid and not chuck away an innings.

Other high scoring ones that couldve had better ends:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/667899.html This one that somehow managed to turn from dull to exciting into tedium beyond need to exciting to pathetic end

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/258459.html This one where England refused to try and win the game

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63990.html This one where England again refused to try and win the game

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 11:51 am

England may be disappointed if only one of their batsmen makes a century on this road of a pitch. Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 11:53 am

Some good ones there, I remember them all fondly. Well not fondly but I certainly remember them!

I think surely the top one, which is the Sarwan match I mentioned is the worst and following the same pattern as this

I can't wholly defend the others, but I will say the SL one last year at least the final ball was exciting

The Windies one 2007 was quite affected by the weather, but I do agree setting the Windies 401 to win in 20 overs was always going to be beyond them, we must have been very worried about Gayle

The 2002 one was a rancid first innings batting performance and I think the second innings was used to find a bit of form

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 11:56 am

I'm inclined to agree. Thought the pitch may have some more demons by now, but it all looks fairly languid.

I wouldn't rule out a declaration on Day 5 though. I guess if we declare too early and end up bowling all day it will be a "let-off" for Pakistan, but I'm thinking back to a game in Cardiff where Sri Lanka made 400, England 480-odd and then won by an innings after rolling Sri Lanka. Everyone thought that was headed to a draw and then an inexplicable collapse happened. Maybe if the pitch starts taking a bit of turn it might be worth having a couple of sessions back out in the field to see if we can force a result.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 11:56 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:England may be disappointed if only one of their batsmen makes a century on this road of a pitch. Very Happy

Well not many candidates left now! Stokes might just smash one out in 100 balls but I wouldnt rate Buttlers chances of getting past 10

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 11:58 am

Bairstow out! Not convinced by him/Stokes/Buttler as a combination for this tour. Doesn't matter here but I wouldn't want to see them stepping out at 50-3 that's for sure - I think they are all players who like a bit of pace on the ball

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 12:17 pm

Taylor should be in the side ahead of bairstow
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 12:39 pm

Is anyone actually sitting and watching this intently?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 12:44 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Is anyone actually sitting and watching this intently?

Not me. Just pressing F5 every half hour or so on the BBC live text at work. mainly watching to see if Cookie can get his 300...
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 12:48 pm

Its a fair point Olly. if you dont have Bairstow in as keeper Taylor is surely a better straight up bat, espeically in Asia where bounce is less likley to be a problem.

Pretty tedious session, very attritional. England are doing the right thing in refusing to chuck the game away, noone has tried to hit their way out of a stodgy start. Therese been a couple of loose shots and the odd chance but really its been pretty plain sailing.

Wahabs woken up, but that just means more toil for him and more wear for the series.

Cooks just plugging away doing what he does. If anything hes become more reserved and more proper, boundaries through any means a thing of distant memory...just keeping his score ticking over with low risk.

Babar isnt that far off bowling as many wicketlesss overs as England 4 spinners combined, and closin in on th 62 overs required for the record for a spinner staying wicketless ( Pannessar was saved form that statistic by a test ending).

Pretty painful session all round.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 12:48 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Is anyone actually sitting and watching this intently?

Cook is! He's been out in the field for every minute of this test, a phenomenal effort.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:13 pm

Ah the England selectors

Because Bairstow coming back into the team, failing again then being dropped repeatedly is better than Taylor getting a chance.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:19 pm

Pakistan will struggle with the quick turnaround in Tests if England bat out the remainder of this match. I see no good reason for why England should declare - over 1,000 runs and only 13 wickets thus far in the test!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:19 pm

GSC wrote:Ah the England selectors

Because Bairstow coming back into the team, failing again then being dropped repeatedly is better than Taylor getting a chance.

The jury is still out on Bairstow for sure, but he clearly has an ability above most CC batsmen and is young. Seems fair he gets a go, I'd be looking at Taylor to replace Bell fairly soon as Taylor's route into the team

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:22 pm

Cook to get a six to bring up the 500...oh no he blocked it Rolling Eyes

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:26 pm

Duty281 wrote:Pakistan will struggle with the quick turnaround in Tests if England bat out the remainder of this match. I see no good reason for why England should declare - over 1,000 runs and only 13 wickets thus far in the test!

And lets be honest, 4 of those wickets were Pakistan slogging towards a declaration, and 1 was Mark Wood's seminar on how not bat as a nightwatchman

So I'd say 1,000 runs for 8 genuine wickets

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:29 pm

Cooks batted for longer than the 4th test ran
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:32 pm

Babars bowled only 3 overs less than Ali and Rashid combined...but conceed half as many runs.

Last edited by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:33 pm

Cook should be adventurous and declare from behind. Warne will love that!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:33 pm

kingraf wrote:Cook should be adventurous and declare from behind. Warne will love that!

Is that a euphamism?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:36 pm

Get your mind out of the gutter!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:38 pm

Well now I missed most of today...only got in just before that late tea but I don't think I missed too many thrilling highlights Smile

Cook  - who reaches his 250 as I type clap  has gone on doing what Cook does so well ...cannot say I was surprised to see him still batting !  Has been a fine effort : as others have noted , the scoreboard pressure of coming in after two days , especially after some poor recent England performances chasing big scores , was quite significant ; but he completely quelled any concerns with his calm assured batting.

Fifty for Stokes ... and England take the lead...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:40 pm

kingraf wrote:Cook should be adventurous and declare from behind. Warne will love that!

Whats this match like from a neutral perspective? On a scale of 10 with 10 being "Highly Entertaining"

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:46 pm

Cooks innings is now the 3rd longest in history (minutes)

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:50 pm

Stokes...really?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:53 pm

Now my optimistic road map for today had the lead taken about now - or perhaps a little earlier ; so the next part is for some frisky batting to really run Pakistan around , followed by a late declaration in hopes of grabbing a few quick wickets tonight...to be honest I think we're a little light on for time to do that so might have to be push on into tomorrow and try to put them under pressure over the last couple of sessions.

The pitch just looks too good still , really. But I do recall England winning - in Pakistan - about fifteen years back , in a match with a similar pattern. Pakistan collapsed rather unnecessarily in their second innings late day four , early five ...and England raced home in near darkness to win ; Thorpe could apparently see in the dark while the Pakistan fieldsmen were complaining about the light Smile
Seems to me that pitch remained pretty blameless too ; but sometimes these third innings can implode from panic. So I wouldn't dismiss the declaration option out of hand.

Of course alternatively Cook. Could set his sights on Lara...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:56 pm

I haven't been keeping detailed watch but I get impression that Cook has kept his strike rate in this innings at very close to 50 for a long time. I suppose that's one way of illustrating his capacity to be unruffled and to play his own game.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:00 pm

I cant see Buttler coming out agressively, hes likely going to scratch around trying to prove a point and get some time in the middle. It would take some serious change in mindset to get Cook moving as well, and I frankly doubt he has the enery to be smashing boundaries anyway.

In terms of Pakistans batting.. well theres only 1 real top class guy in their line up and a fair tail so you never know, I just dont see a declaration coming today though. England will be happy with the draw and a 300 for Cook ( if he can get it). Wearing the Pakistanis down mentally and physically is a big bonus, England wouldve been expecting the opposite (especially after the first day and a half)

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:02 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:I haven't been keeping detailed watch but I get impression that Cook has kept his strike rate in this innings at very close to 50 for a long time. I suppose that's one way of illustrating his capacity to be unruffled and to play his own game.

Hes been incredibly consitent and gone most of the day without scoring a boundary, just picking off 1's and 2's. Very occasional plays and misses and a couple of edges but really just consistent and low risk.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:05 pm

I think England will try to get 100 ahead then declare. That would also naturally be around the figure Cook gets to 300 if still there

Then hope for a couple of early wickets (and lets not forget Pakistan should have been 5-2 First Innings) to leave Pakistan on an uncomfortable minus score for a couple down and see what happens

I'd say there's about a 1% of the above resulting in victory but has to be worth a go

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:07 pm

They need to keep the innings going for at least 12 more overs to give Babar a shot at the most balls bowled without taking a wicket

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:13 pm

Just think of the English bowlers - feet up for the last two days, nice and relaxing. Pakistan must be absolutely spent.

England won't take ten wickets on this, they just need to bat until they're all out.

138 to get Cooky, come on lad.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:14 pm

Cook goes and Pakistan will pad up again at some point this match
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:15 pm

Oh Cooky. You wonderful man.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:17 pm

GSC wrote:Cook goes and Pakistan will pad up again at some point this match

You dont have much faith in Andersons blcoking do you!

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:22 pm

Apparently Cook's wicket was off a no-ball!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:24 pm

Indeed, although he didnt seem to concerned about asking them to check!

Sods law mind. They really need to just make it a mandatory thing to look at for every wicket. Its not like the TV umpire has had much to do.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:25 pm

Blimey...nip out for five minutes and the Immovable Object is out ! Confess to astonishment ...what happened ?
Ah well he'd earned a bit of a rest : hope Buttler and Rashid can go on with the job now and boost this lead as far as possible.

I see Buttler seems to be going up a gear...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:28 pm

...and out . Pakistan might be batting tonight...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:28 pm

Oh bloody Buttler just ruined more stats trying to show off. I bet Cook wont thnak him if he has to go out and field tonight either.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

alfie wrote:Blimey...nip out for five minutes and the Immovable Object is out ! Confess to astonishment ...what happened ?
Ah well he'd earned a bit of a rest : hope Buttler and Rashid can go on with the job now and boost this lead as far as possible.

I see Buttler seems to be going up a gear...

In the end it was a badly executed sweep ( albeit of a no ball that wasnt spotted)

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:33 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Oh bloody Buttler just ruined more stats trying to show off. I bet Cook wont thnak him if he has to go out and field tonight either.

Ha. Was just thinking that too...you'd think after batting for 14 hours you could trust three other chaps to let you rest for forty five minutes to the close...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:34 pm

The poor Pakistani keeper - his knees must be in bits
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:37 pm

The last few overs have been an interesting stats disaster!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:40 pm

I feel sorry for Cook yet again missing the triple....it was a monumental inning.

Is there any life left in this game still?
Yes....only Eng have an outside chance of winning this one...lead by 50 runs.
if they bundle Pakitan out for 150odd ...which Pak given their fragility, pressure and "other factors" that influence pak collapses....are capable of
in 50 odd overs.

then Eng have 100 odd to chase in 40 overs.....

even if that equation is stretched to chasing 120 odd in 30 overs....it's still within grasp.

test match cricket.......at it's best.

This guy Cook ....is a weird guy....lives in his own world but one that gives him immense mental strength
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:41 pm

Cook aside, England's scorecard doesn't exactly read like their playing on a road.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum