Fri Nov 27
2nd T20I - England v Pakistan
Dubai International Cricket Stadium

Mon Nov 30
3rd T20I - England v Pakistan
Sharjah Cricket Stadium

Squads

Test squad:
Alastair Cook (Essex, capt), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Zafar Ansari (Surrey), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire, wk), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Jos Buttler (Lancashire, wk), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Liam Plunkett (Yorkshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), James Taylor (Nottinghamshire), Mark Wood (Durham).

ODI squad:
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex, capt), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire, wk), Sam Billings (Kent, wk), Jos Buttler (Lancashire, wk), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), James Taylor (Nottinghamshire), Reece Topley (Hampshire), David Willey (Yorkshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham).

Twenty20 squad:
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex, capt), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Sam Billings (Kent, wk), Jos Buttler (Lancashire, wk), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Stephen Parry (Lancashire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Reece Topley (Hampshire), James Vince (Hampshire), David Willey (Yorkshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham).

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Re: England in the UAE

Post by Gooseberry on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:46 pm

kingraf wrote:Cook aside, England's scorecard doesn't exactly read like their playing on a road.

Maliks aside neither does Pakistans.

If you look at the number of balls faced and actually watche dthe game though youd get a better impression of how benign the wicket was.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:53 pm

wonder why Eng accepted light?
they should have thrown their bat around for 3 more overs......trying to tonk 30 runs...never mind they got out for 5 more runs in the process.

an have a clean shot at pak tomm morning.

Last edited by KP_fan on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:55 pm

There's a 96 and a 100 on Pakistan's scorecard. I take your point though
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:56 pm

kingraf wrote:Cook aside, England's scorecard doesn't exactly read like their playing on a road.

Does rather dominate the card , doesn't he ? You could say Bell and Root - and certainly Stokes - threw their wickets away when hundreds were beckoning.
Still most of the wickets in this match have fallen to batsmen's impatience rather than any devil - or even slightly cranky angel - in the pitch.
Still might turn a bit more tomorrow ; could be some tension yet after several days of rather relaxed batting fun.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 3:05 pm

KP_fan wrote:wonder why Eng accepted light?
they should have thrown their bat around for 3 more overs......trying to tonk 30 runs...never mind they got out for 5 more runs in the process.

I thought players didn't decide anymore, its with the umpires?

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 3:15 pm

Indeed, Alfie. The comment was less about the pitch secretly being a minefield, and more about how how English batting line up where only Cook and Root really have batted meritoriously recently has players who could have done with a cash in.
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 3:23 pm

kingraf wrote:Indeed, Alfie. The comment was less about the pitch secretly being a minefield, and more about how how  English batting line up where only Cook and Root really have batted meritoriously recently has players who could have done with a cash in.

I'd say that has a lot to do with the make up of the side. Those two are the ones you would back to make large and even double hundreds - they have done it plenty of times.

The rest are good for a quickfire 50, and might get to a hundred every now and then, but it would be a big surprise if they managed to convert their higher risk game to large hundreds

Bell is the only other one I would put in the Root/Cook category, but clearly not in the form he is at the moment

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 3:50 pm

So Cook misses out on a triple ton, but does secure the first 263 in Test history. Seeing the bigger picture.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 4:10 pm

kingraf wrote:Indeed, Alfie. The comment was less about the pitch secretly being a minefield, and more about how how  English batting line up where only Cook and Root really have batted meritoriously recently has players who could have done with a cash in.

Many said before the start of these winter series that our batting would depend largely on whether Cook could set a platform and Root cash in. I think that this innings demonstrates that fairly well. Take out Cook and suddenly our innings looks like an out of form Bell scratching around next to Root plus too many guys who are capable of playing the shot of the day but rarely the innings of the day at current.

Taylor should be in for either Bairstow or Stokes IMO.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 4:47 pm

VTR wrote:
KP_fan wrote:wonder why Eng accepted light?

I thought players didn't decide anymore, its with the umpires?  

You are correct VTR. The umpires decide when it is too dark.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 4:50 pm

Magnificent innings from Cook and unfortunate to be given out off a no-ball.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 5:00 pm

Taylor should be in for Bairstow, would be extremely harsh to drop stokes in tests, ODI's yes
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 5:03 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Magnificent innings from Cook and unfortunate to be given out off a no-ball.

?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 5:03 pm

Also the selectors decision to drop Cook from odi's last winter has probably saved his test career imo
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 5:09 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Magnificent innings from Cook and unfortunate to be given out off a no-ball.

?

The ball Cook was out to should have been called a no-ball.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 5:16 pm

Ah I see. Swings and roundabouts, he was lucky to get there at all with hawkeye using predictive methods rather than tracking methods Laugh

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 5:19 pm

Now I am confused. Hawkeye is a Ball Tracking system.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 5:25 pm

I was just joking mate, seeing as Hawk Eye had the ball spinning so much - spin that hadn't been seen by that point.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 5:29 pm

We had seen balls turn from outside leg for right handers and miss the off stump on day one (admittedly Rashid was round the wicket for most, increasing the angle and making it easier).

Zulfiqur bowled one this morning that did the same thing pitched outside leg and missed the off stump.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 5:31 pm

Olly wrote:Taylor should be in for Bairstow, would be extremely harsh to drop stokes in tests, ODI's yes

Taylor is unlikely to get a game in the series - unless there is an injury. Only change I can see them actually making will be to rest Wood for eitehr the 2nd or 3rd tests as he struggles to put a series of games together.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 6:21 pm

Olly wrote:Taylor should be in for Bairstow, would be extremely harsh to drop stokes in tests, ODI's yes

Stokes has been inconsistent at best in tests. He is a big talent but needs to develop much more consistency with bat and/or ball to justify his place in the side with either, let alone both.

Looking at his stats now I was honestly surprised to see his batting have average is as high as the low thirties.

On top of this he is a poor player of spin. Whilst that hasn't meant much in this match it will at some point in the UAE series - if it doesn't then this series may go down as one of the worst ever in terms of quality of pitches.

Taylor would be a much better option for this series IMO.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 7:55 pm

I don't quite know why Stokes is in the team, he's not a top six batsmen nor is he a consistent threat with the ball, offers a bit with both but not enough for me.

Cook
Hales
Bell
Taylor
Root
Butler/Bairstow
Ali
Rashid
Wood
Broad
Anderson

Hales is the big risk after a dodgy summer in limited overs but Ali and Rashid offer enough with the bat to make up for the loss of Stokes and a fourth seam option isn't needed.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 8:34 pm

Stokes has given the media & influential figures like Botham, hard-on's for the last 12 months. A few big match performances are memorable & the inconsistency is swept under the carpet, as everyone thinks he's the new Flintoff & all that. Can't see him being dropped at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 10:29 pm

I've long said I don't see anything in Ben Stokes worth getting excited about, but Alfie does so I'll wait it out. I was so awfully wrong about Steve Smith that I try just wait until a player is dropped now before making a decision
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 11:36 pm

I like Stokes. Think he's shown enough in his performances where he has flashed he could be something special. You can say he isn't consistent enough in his performances for England in Tests, a fair comment no doubt, but a player who has done the things he has done is always going to get more rope than a player who is just consistently slightly underwhelming, but avoids the highs and lows of Stokes.

Plus, I'm not sure how much (well I am pretty sure, naff all) more he'd learn just going back to play for Durham again all summer next year. If you think he has special talent, I do, you have to back him and give him a long run.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 11:53 pm

not sure why people would drop Stokes, he's taken four wickets and scored a decent fifty in this match, after having to scrap early on against a fine spell from Riaz (with a fair bit of luck admittedly). I thought he played the spinners very well myself, he was pro-active, and the ball that did for him was a good'un, just dipped enough to force him to cover it, then spun past his defensive shot. OK he could have played it better, but a nice bit of bowling for me.

Bairstow's knock was very scratchy though, didn't seem to particularly have a plan for scoring against the spinners and didn't really look at ease throughout. England will probably give him another match at least, but if he fails in the next one Taylor must be a decent shout to come in?

Overall another pretty good day for England really. Was a little disappointed by Misbah's captaincy at times. Looked a little too happy to let the game drift, there was the odd moment where Pakistan could have at least tried to seize control, but he didn't seem too keen to press the issue. His field placements remained very standard throughout, with little attempt to try out different approaches. Appreciate it's a difficult task on a pitch like this one, but I do feel he could have tried a few more things.

From here, unless something horrendous happens, England can't lose the match (the "something horrendous" would probably have to include Pakistan getting bowled out too, so two collapses in one day, on this pitch seems unlikely...). Hence they need to think of the best approach to trying to win it. I would favour having a quick bash tomorrow morning (suspect they'll be bowled out fairly quickly in any case), then working hard with the ball to try to somehow bowl Pakistan out before tea. If Pak are still batting at tea (and not 9 down, obv.), or fewer than 2-3 wickets down approaching tea, rest up the bowlers before the draw can be agreed on. Important not to wear the bowlers down too much, but feel given how hard England have worked to reach this position they should at least give it their best shot.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 12:50 am

Seems an odd time to be calling for Stokes to be left out. True these pitches shouldn't suit him and he wasn't in great form in the warm ups ; but he took 4wickets and made fifty ...
If you were going to pick him in this match , as they of course did , there'd be no sense in leaving him out now.

Anyway : I like Taylor ; but he is hardly a proven superstar , and I'm not sure he would make a huge difference to the team's winning chance. Whether he should have been picked in place of Bell or Bairstow or Buttler is another issue - but I doubt they will change now after just one game .

Will be interested to see how much pressure England can put on Pakistan on day five. Think it will help if Rashid and Broad can rattle on a quick 40-50 first up. Still a long shot ; but as Swann says , if the players have a genuine belief they can force a win then it isn't out of the question. Hopefully the energy will be there : at least the bowlers have had a nice rest !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 9:09 am

A couple of early wickets, one or two more quickly and this will get interesting

Not sure why people are dropping stokes? Didn't he take a 6 for two tests ago. I think slowly he's starting to produce. You have to give a player like him time. It took Flintoff years to become any good

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 9:54 am

Rashid robbed of his first test wicket
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 9:59 am

Another Bell drop as Younis flashes at one off Stokes
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 10:03 am

Excellent run out by Stokes! We have a sniff here
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 10:19 am

Dropping Stokes from tests would be a bit silly at the moment, ODI's yes. There are far more issues with the test team than him, Bairstow/Bell with the bat, Wood is bowling much worse than he is. As I have said before I'd like to see Taylor in for Bairstow, and I would've replaced Wood with Finn (if he wasn't injured!). 

In 2015 Stokes has 662 runs at an average of 36.77, with 22 wickets at an average of 43.72. Think there is definitely something there to invest in, and at the moment he does provide us with a good balance to the side.
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:01 am

Well this is not uninteresting...

Come in from a slightly chastening day of chasing leather all over a small fast gound (still good fun , and I got a few wickets , if more expensively than I'd have liked ) to find this match is - just about - alive.

Pakistan three down , still behind : get two more now and you'd fancy this !

Two pretty solid types in right now , so not easy. But game remains alive...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:03 am

Olly wrote:Rashid robbed of his first test wicket

What happened ? Run me through it , Olly .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:09 am

alfie wrote:

Hafeez edged it and it was given not out
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:11 am

Reckon they should have sent that one upstairs : no shot by the batsman and hitting...though Bumble says he thinks he was playing at it . Hmm. Not sure about that.

I'd have given it out .

But I'm a bowler Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:18 am

Olly wrote:
alfie wrote:

Thanks , Olly. They didn't refer it ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:23 am

alfie wrote:
Olly wrote:
alfie wrote:

Thanks , Olly.  They didn't refer it ?

Sorry yes they did, thus why robbed. Clear deviation imo
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:27 am

Moeen looking quite likely here ; hit the pads a couple of times , not quite out but close...

Wouldn't surprise me if he broke through soon.

Realistically , England need a wicket before tea or this is slipping away.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:32 am

That's just abysmal umpiring
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:33 am

That decision is pathetic.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:34 am

I mean how has he given that out caught, Misbah is continents away from hitting it and is plumb LBW
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:34 am

Wicket ?

No ? Well that is a tricky one ...should be out lbw but was given caught so saved by the review ...not sure what I think of that.

I thought it was an lbw call. So did Jimmy , I think.

Come back to that maybe...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:38 am

Just do away with DRS, causes more problems than it solves.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:43 am

One of the vagaries of DRS. Had it gone the other way perhaps I wouldn't be complaining. Anyway at tea only 3 down that's probably game
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:43 am

Tea. Looks like a draw , barring quick collapse.

Still good that this last day hasn't been "dead".

Probably shake hands in an hour or so : though if they were to grab two quick wickets it might go down to the wire...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:48 am

Olly wrote:
alfie wrote:
Olly wrote:
alfie wrote:

Thanks , Olly.  They didn't refer it ?

Sorry yes they did, thus why robbed. Clear deviation imo

Ha. England not having the best of the technology in this innings then... Not that it's easy without the hotspot. Sounds like the onfield umpires messed up.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:55 am

Having a look through the stats on Cricinfo and found this quite interesting.

Cook- 263 runs, 528 balls in 826 minutes
Hutton- 364 runs, 847 balls in 797 minutes

Puts into some context how poor over rates are nowadays, that equates to what 100 more overs in a similar timeframe.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 12:17 pm

Quite striking , isn't it , hammersmith ?

They say they used to get 120 overs in a day - without overtime !

Shorter run ups , maybe. Certainly less drink breaks ; even I remember before this automatic break every hour started - used to be only in seriously hot conditions. And probably less messing about with the field.

Progress...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 12:19 pm

And Rashid has one at last !

Younus Khan on his way ...still a pulse.

Whatever ; the young man will be relieved to have that . Turned a bit , too. Decent first scalp.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum