The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First look at the GFW belts

+2
Marky
talkingpoint
6 posters

Go down

First look at the GFW belts  Empty First look at the GFW belts

Post by talkingpoint Sat 24 Oct - 3:02

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/633723-photos-global-force-wrestling-reveals-the-nexgen-and-womens-championship-belts

I'm really ambivalent about these belts. The world title looks fine, but the Nex*Gen belt seems like an odd shape to me. I like the fact that they've used gold for the world title. However, one thing that surprised me and something I'm still ambivalent about is the use of the Global Force logo on the belts rather than the abbreviation GFW. On the one hand this sets their championship belts apart from other promotions that usually stick with the traditional abbreviations for the promotion. But, because it is a departure from the norm it looks odd to see the company logo in the middle of the belt. It's a little jarring.

Thoughts?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

First look at the GFW belts  Empty Re: First look at the GFW belts

Post by Marky Sat 24 Oct - 12:27

I like the Tag Title belts best

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sat 24 Oct - 13:03

https://twitter.com/GFWWrestling/status/657687060157825024/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Have to say, the tag belts probably do look the nicest.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Sun 25 Oct - 10:43

With still no TV deals announced, it does feel like GFW is a non-event.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sun 25 Oct - 11:01

Prometheus wrote:With still no TV deals announced, it does feel like GFW is a non-event.  

yeah it's a strange one. I keep thinking this myself regarding the roster. I wonder how Jeff persuaded them to join GFW without the security of a TV deal? At the same time, I think that now they have to make some sort of announcement soon. They've completed their set of Las Vegas tapings; they've crowned their inaugural champions. So there's really nothing left but to get a TV deal. Judging from the photos of the TV tapings, they don't seem to have had a problem attracting fans. The events look well attended (especially compared to TNA standards). Jeff must still have some name value and influence in order to even get GFW off the ground. So I'm not sure what's stopping a TV network from picking them up. And if TNA lose their TV deal with DA at the end of the year then that leaves a big gap in the market.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sun 25 Oct - 14:55

I like all the belts except the Nex Gen one. I like that the tag belts do the symmetrical thing like the NXT belts.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 26 Oct - 16:57

Think I'm in general agreement...especially what TP said about using the full company name, instead of the traditional abbreviation.

Favourite has to be the Tag Team belts. Nice shape and distinctive design...also the symmetry thing Samo mentioned.

Not so keen on the Nex Gen one...but as with most companies (if GFW lasts that long) I'm sure they will tinker with the designs and bring out new ones every few years. Wink

talkingpoint wrote:
yeah it's a strange one. I keep thinking this myself regarding the roster. I wonder how Jeff persuaded them to join GFW without the security of a TV deal? At the same time, I think that now they have to make some sort of announcement soon. They've completed their set of Las Vegas tapings; they've crowned their inaugural champions. So there's really nothing left but to get a TV deal. Judging from the photos of the TV tapings, they don't seem to have had a problem attracting fans. The events look well attended (especially compared to TNA standards). Jeff must still have some name value and influence in order to even get GFW off the ground. So I'm not sure what's stopping a TV network from picking them up. And if TNA lose their TV deal with DA at the end of the year then that leaves a big gap in the market.

And to be perfectly honest I would not be all that sorry if TNA did go off the air now. While the shows have picked up my interest lately, due to the World Series tournament, its only going to be temporary if things return to normal after the next heavyweight champ has been crowned...and especially if the next heavyweight champ is Gail Kim (or something similarly ludicrous)!

I've been watching the Jeff Jarrett interviews that TNA are still running and he's been in the business an awfully long time. He must've built up a lot of good contacts over the years, as you say, to be able to even attempt to get a new promotion off the ground. I'd be surprised if he couldn't get a TV deal sorted out.

If they have a halfway decent creative team on board, hopefully they can bring back the theatrics and storytelling that has been woefully absent from TNA.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Tue 27 Oct - 13:48

I think that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

The world title tournament is
1. a short term solution to the woefully uncreative, poor booking from Gaburick. And
2. The tournament is effectively to hide the lack of depth now in the roster. This is being done in two ways: it hides the fact that TNA no longer has a Tag Team division by having everyone competing in the tournament; and secondly by using old footage of wrestlers who are no longer with the company it gives the illusion that the roster is larger than it actually is.
3. This world title tournament makes an absolute farce out of BFG, which for the past two years now has been stripped of all of its prestige. Last year it was a pathetic exhibition show in Japan and this year the results were absolutely meaningless, because TNA pressed the reset button immediately afterwards. Way to throw your PPV in the trash can.

In many ways I hope GFW can succeed where TNA has failed. I still believe the wrestling industry needs competition at the top level and there needs to be something to bridge the chasm between the indies and the WWE. However, despite WWE not being perfect by any stretch of the imagination, they're still the industry leaders for a reason.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 27 Oct - 14:56

talkingpoint wrote:

In many ways I hope GFW can succeed where TNA has failed. I still believe the wrestling industry needs competition at the top level and there needs to be something to bridge the chasm between the indies and the WWE. However, despite WWE not being perfect by any stretch of the imagination, they're still the industry leaders for a reason.

WWE could split the rosters again and make their own competition. The rosters arent as deep as they used to be but Im certain they could pull it out the bag. Make Smackdown relevant and have two genuinely prestigious World Titles again. It could happen but would require a huge investement on WWE's part, one Im not sure they're willing to do.

TNA has had over a decade to compete with WWE and it never came close, I dont think GFW will even be on par with TNA when it was at its peak.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Tue 27 Oct - 15:31

A question.  How much would people pay for GFW?  Let us imagine that it is not picked up by Challenge or another free to air channel.  Would you pay the same as WWE's Network, half, twice as much, none at all because I spend my wrestling money on WWE, etc?

EDIT: to answer my own question.

I pay 9.99 a month for the WWE Network.  I have let my subscription lapse in the past.  I'm not such an ardent follower of NXT as I was a year ago.  But, with at least 1 PPV per month I think this is value.  However, if I suddenly needed 9.99 somewhere else in my life, I'd live without it.

I pay around 5 a month for NJPW.  I've no idea what exactly the exchange rate is, but I find it great value and it gives me an alternative over WWE.

I pay around the same, maybe a bit more, I can't remember for Progress.  Because the other two offer such great value, this probably gives me the least wrestling for my money, but I think it is still worth it.

I then probably average 10-15 per month on buying other shows (e.g. PWG, RevPro, etc.).  

And I've got to be honest.  GFW would have to be something really, really special for it to replace any of the above.  So special that I don't see it happening.  

Therefore it would be an addition.  And for myself, I don't feel the need (especially if I can keep getting access to LU, which I would pay for).  So, maybe a couple of quid as a curiosity.  But as a relatively hardcore wrestling fan, if Jeff's not got my interest level above a maybe a couple of quid a month, I think he has a problem.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 27 Oct - 15:46

Im the same as you Prom. I already have the Network and ICW On Demand, and that provides me with more than enough each month. I dont see GFW being anything different other than another small fish in a big pond.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 27 Oct - 15:51

Well for me TNA was on Challenge which is free and I didn't bother to watch that, so TNA 2.0 which GFW appears to be wouldn't be getting any Hero-dollars.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Tue 27 Oct - 15:52

Thanks for the feedback Samo. I was actually going to list ICW as something I'm going to try when I get chance as I've heard a lot of good things about their shows recently. Which just moves GFW one further step back.

JJ has never excited me as a wrestler. And while I respect he's got a long history in the business, but he's also not someone I hear people talking highly in his booking or story-writing. So, I just don't see what he's going to offer that I've not already got, or need.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong, because this time last year all I heard about LU was unknown wrestlers, failed WWE talent and women competing with men. It didn't sound at all interesting, but they re-packaged wrestling and made it a new and fresh show. So it can be done, but you look at the GFW website and logo that just feel so 80s / 90s and I dunno I don't feel fresh excitement from it.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Wed 28 Oct - 10:51

Given how ICW, RevPro and Progress wrestling events seem to crash computers with the demand for tickets as soon as their big events are released, I thought I'd have a look at how Grimsby Force Wrestling is doing tonight.

Seems to me that the ringside seats have gone.  But still half of the circle seats are still available and almost all the balcony seats.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 28 Oct - 13:32

Grimsby Force Wrestling! laughing

Oh dear, if the arena is half empty they'll have to resort to using clever camera angles to hide the fact.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down