Pakistan Team:

TBC

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Re: Pakistan vs England; 3rd Test - Sunday 1st November to Thursday 5th

Post by alfie on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 1:12 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
alfie wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Alfie - don't you think it'll be Rashid? He should be more of a second innings dangerman.

I fear Rashid needs a different situation to shine : if Pakistan were four or five down , say , and feeling the pressure. In the present circumstances I think he'd be relying on one of them getting a rush of blood...

It appears England are so desperate to grab another one tonight that they're going to bowl Jimmy into the ground.  May prove fatal tomorrow ; but if they don't break this stand it may be all lost anyway ?

Alfie - you're (again) probably right but it does make Rashid increasingly look like a luxury item.

I'm also worried about the effects of this spell (9 overs so far, I think) on Jimmy for tomorrow.

Oh I think it is fairly clear that Rashid is a luxury item. One worth including in UAE , I think : the sort of place where he just might win a match - indeed he nearly did. But unless he improves rather a lot he is unlikely to be chosen anywhere outside the traditional homes of spin.

Broad seems to have a wicket : but I fear this will be overturned...has to come back a long way...

Out !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 1:13 pm

CELEBRAPPEAL!
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 1:15 pm

Vital wicket , that. Can they prise out another one tonight ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 1:16 pm

Big wicket for England, but you'd still back Pakistan to get at least maybe 200 more with only three down. Given that one of the wickets was a senseless run out, England have only created two wickets in 50 overs. Maybe this wicket isn't so bad, and 250 is a chaseable chase?
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 1:19 pm

Rashid bowls that googly at will ...but he's slow enough they can generally play it off the pitch.

Light meters coming out...so Broad is off and Moeen will finish off...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 1:24 pm

kingraf wrote:Big wicket for England, but you'd still back Pakistan to get at least maybe 200 more with only three down. Given that one of the wickets was a senseless run out, England have only created two wickets in 50 overs. Maybe this wicket isn't so bad, and 250 is a chaseable chase?

Unless it gets worse , 250 might be feasible. But the Pakistan spinners are better.

Rahat survives : shouldn't have ! But I guess you don't risk a referall on a night watchman ...indeed Hawkeye would have let him survive on impact call (???). Good decision by Cook then...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 1:26 pm

alfie wrote:...

Oh I think it is fairly clear that Rashid is a luxury item.  One worth including in UAE , I think : the sort of place where he just might win a match - indeed he nearly did.  But unless he improves rather a lot he is unlikely to be chosen anywhere outside the traditional homes of spin.

Alfie - not from you, but there were a lot of calls on here for Rashid to be England's number one spinner. I don't think many of those were too worried where he would have been bowling.

PS Annoyed that lbw shout wasn't reviewed.
PPS Even more annoyed to agree with Botham!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 1:45 pm

I'm glad it wasn't reviewed ! Would have hated to have lost a review on a real rabbit...

Though I must admit my first thought was that it was stone cold...Hawkeye disagrees.

State of game ; Pakistan 55-England 45 , I reckon. Couple of quick wickets tomorrow could still swing it back. Hoping...

Good Test Match.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 1:51 pm

Shoaib Malik retires from Test cricket. This business of retiring during a match needs to stop. As for the man proper, always thought he was a poor man's Hafeez, who himself is basically a spinning Shane Watson. So basically a better batting, but worse bowling Moeen Ali.
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 1:53 pm

Pak stands effectively 74-3....inpsite of a mind blowing 97* from Hafiz.
Means a lead of 200+ is very highly likely.......but lead of 250+ could be avoided

so thats a grey zone.......anyone can win though Pak would be better placed.
Eng would need Root and Cook to fire one more time to level the series
OR an inspired spell of reverse swing from Broad / anderson to crumble out Pak for a lead less than 200.
for the English spinners do not have the calibre to trigger a crash

Last edited by KP_fan on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 1:55 pm

alfie wrote:I'm glad it wasn't reviewed !  Would have hated to have lost a review on a real rabbit...

Though I must admit my first thought was that it was stone cold...Hawkeye disagrees.

State of game ; Pakistan 55-England 45 , I reckon.  Couple of quick wickets tomorrow could still swing it back.  Hoping...

Good Test Match.

Well, I've had a shocker today as third umpire in my armchair although it would have got England two more wickets! Rolling Eyes

Clearly Pakistan's day but they haven't got this in the bag yet. Effectively 74/3 in a one innings match. Put like that, it doesn't sound too bad for England. However, we'll need to get Hafeez before he gets too many more AND - this on current form will be even more challenging - the spinners will need to get a grip on things from almost the off and keep it that way.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 2:07 pm

Classic glass half full/empty situation at end of Day 3:

(English) Glass half empty - Hafeez with support from others likely to set England a target beyond them in the 4th innings. Their spinners bound to be more effective in the 4th innings than ours are proving to be in the 3rd;

OR

(English) Glass half full - Pak 49-3 without Hafeez's exceptional innings shows we can get through them cheaply, while Hafeez has shown that a class player who gets in can stay in. So England could chase down even a challenging target provided one or more of Cook/Root/Taylor gets in and pushes on.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 2:40 pm

In the balance now folks I'd say. England have in general done much better than I expected this series, so whatever the outcome I think I'll be happy enough with the way we've played
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 2:59 pm

A good day for Pakistan, tilting the match advantage to being slightly in their favour at the moment. A couple of quick wickets tomorrow, especially if we can get Misbah, could be another momentum swing. There are a few genuine tail enders in the Pakistan lineup, so it is possible we can knock them over within a manageable score.

Alternatively, one good partnership could see them well on the way to securing the match.

As with many lowish scoring games, it's fantastically poised for a tight conclusion.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 4:05 pm

I lean towards pessimism here. I can't see England chasing anything above 175 - the turn, the pitch, the psychology of it all. And Pakistan should post a target upwards of 200 from here; barring some unlikely inspiration.

Hafeez has been wonderful. England are surely done.

6/4 that Pakistan win? Yes please.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 4:36 pm

Olly wrote:In the balance now folks I'd say. England have in general done much better than I expected this series, so whatever the outcome I think I'll be happy enough with the way we've played

We've made a decent and perhaps surprising go of things. Definitely some positives. However, still a lot of issues. In particular:
* Cook's opening partner
* Bell's future
* The wicket keeper
* The spinner.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 5:24 pm

An excellent day for Pakistan. They have wrestled back control of this test match and the series. They can either sit in and kill the test by batting for time or bat as they have and they should be able to forge a lead of around 200 which England may struggle to reach if the ever dependable Cook and Root don't fire.

If the series is lost it can be blamed on lack of a real quality spinner to match Pakistan's spin attack and taking so long to make changes to the batting line-up.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 7:03 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:An excellent day for Pakistan. They have wrestled back control of this test match and the series. They can either sit in and kill the test by batting for time or bat as they have and they should be able to forge a lead of around 200 which England may struggle to reach if the ever dependable Cook and Root don't fire.

If the series is lost it can be blamed on lack of a real quality spinner to match Pakistan's spin attack and taking so long to make changes to the batting line-up.

Thought you would be itching to get that one in, Craig. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 8:54 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Olly wrote:In the balance now folks I'd say. England have in general done much better than I expected this series, so whatever the outcome I think I'll be happy enough with the way we've played

We've made a decent and perhaps surprising go of things. Definitely some positives. However, still a lot of issues. In particular:
* Cook's opening partner
* Bell's future
* The wicket keeper
* The spinner.

Well I think we all know Moeen was a band aid for this series. We find out in SA what Hales has got.

Bell should be dropped pure and simple. Gary Ballance did far better recently and got dropped. He slugsshould be back in, move Root upto 3 and Taylor 4 with Ballance 5.

Keeper - I still believe in Jos, he's just horribly out of form which happens. Depending on if he can get some form in the ODI's, him or Bairstow is fine by me (both good enough keepers imo)

Spinner - Moeen. He's still the best spin option we have.
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 6:11 am

Rashid starting really well today ...should have had Hafeez ; but he deceived the keeper as well as the batsman Sad

Bairstow has done well until now ; but he has missed a very important stumping there...

With the lbw review also struck down , England might be starting to feel it ain't going their way.

Jimmy cleans up the night watchman easily...but it is Hafeez they need to shift.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 6:17 am

Fine hundred for Hafeez clap

Might well be a match winner.

Rashid is bowling very well ; I hope he gets a result here...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 6:46 am

Chances galore !

Broad can't hold on to a c&b...Hafeez survives again after edging through a gap in slips.

England are certainly creating chances - but not taking them. This is such a vital partnership I wonder if the window of opportunity is going to close now...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 7:32 am

These two seem to be settled now. Only 133 in front so the game hasn't quite gone yet : but unless a break comes very soon - and preferably a double strike - it is going to run away from England . New ball after lunch might be the Last Chance ; but it is asking a lot of the seamers to do it all. Rashid has bowled some good stuff today , but the spin attack continues to offer too many runs , so the batsmen can afford to just sit on Anderson and Broad.

Those early chance are going to haunt them - especially that missed stumping when Hafeez was on 97.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 7:34 am

Sandwich Patel is gonna need to bat well 2nd time round to make up for his awful bowling
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 8:31 am

I think any thoughts of an England win are pretty much gone - it was always an outside chance to win with only 2 reliable bowlers.

The spinners are dreadful as a unit, though I expect its a while before we will be fielding more than one in a team.

The draw is coming into the equation though - Pakistan will want to declare well ahead to take defeat out of the reckoning. England might be tasked with something like 80 overs to bat out for a draw

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 8:39 am

Not quite all gone yet for England but a couple of wickets needed soon after lunch. Assume the new ball will be taken straightaway so possible that Jimmy and Broad could strike gold.

A poor miss by Bairstow when he failed to stump Hafeez. He'd had a good game until then but you need a Test keeper to take that sort of chance.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 9:01 am

Indeed Guildford re: Bairstow. As I said earlier he really does baffle me, because it's clear the guy is immensely talented, he just can't seem to really make the step up to test level. He's had 32 innings in tests now, only averages a shade under 27. At some point you've gotta produce on your talent

I still think buttler will come back into the side in SA
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 9:07 am

is Hafeez playing the inning of his life?

or has the pitch eased?

I thinks "its the inning of life"

that said Pak only 170 ahead and 5 down.......still a sub-250 chase is possible
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 9:13 am

Broad picking up Misbah to keep hopes flickering...but Hafeez sails majestically on. Just that nervy period first up this morning ; when he might have come out several times.

Lead at 177 : you'd think they'd need to keep it below 250 to fancy the chase ; so really need another wicket sharpish...Shafiq can certainly bat , and still Sarfraz to come.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 9:15 am

This Hafeez innings looks to be the match defining one. An excellent effort
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 9:21 am

guildfordbat wrote:Not quite all gone yet for England but a couple of wickets needed soon after lunch. Assume the new ball will be taken straightaway so possible that Jimmy and Broad could strike gold.

A poor miss by Bairstow when he failed to stump Hafeez. He'd had a good game until then but you need a Test keeper to take that sort of chance.

You do . But sadly England don't really have a true class wicketkeeper at present - I recall Buttler missing a similar important stumping in West indies a few months back. Don't wish to reignite the old " keeping skills first , batting secondary , bring back Read , blah blah " debate ; but one of the things you tend to sacrifice in picking a batsman-keeper (as just about everyone does these days) is the skillful work at the wicket...

Interrupting as Hafeez falls to Moeen ! Game on ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 9:23 am

Moeen!!
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 9:25 am

Good job Bell hung on to that - for England and him given the number of cricketing medics waiting to conduct a post mortem on his Test career.

As Olly said, an excellent innings from Hafeez although it still remains to be confirmed that it was match defining.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 9:27 am

Lead 185 ...one more wicket would expose the dodgy tail...

Back comes Broad.

Once again Moeen has made the vital break : he hasn't bowled well here ; but he still has a bit of a golden arm (or as some say , he gets wickets 'cos they all think he's rubbish Smile )
Don't want to let Sarfraz get in...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 9:42 am

alfie wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:
alfie wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Alfie - don't you think it'll be Rashid? He should be more of a second innings dangerman.

I fear Rashid needs a different situation to shine : if Pakistan were four or five down , say , and feeling the pressure. In the present circumstances I think he'd be relying on one of them getting a rush of blood...

It appears England are so desperate to grab another one tonight that they're going to bowl Jimmy into the ground.  May prove fatal tomorrow ; but if they don't break this stand it may be all lost anyway ?

Alfie - you're (again) probably right but it does make Rashid increasingly look like a luxury item.

I'm also worried about the effects of this spell (9 overs so far, I think) on Jimmy for tomorrow.

Oh I think it is fairly clear that Rashid is a luxury item.  One worth including in UAE , I think : the sort of place where he just might win a match - indeed he nearly did.  But unless he improves rather a lot he is unlikely to be chosen anywhere outside the traditional homes of spin.

Broad seems to have a wicket : but I fear this will be overturned...has to come back a long way...

Out !

I think part of the issue with playing Rashid in spinning conditions/countries is he's invariably going to be against good players of spin. Against South Africa he might get more joy, and then hopefully when we play Pakistan and Sri Lanka in home conditions we can get him more first innings leads.

What this series have shown is that are seamers are far stronger than our spinners, and I think we need to model our team on Yorkshire. 4 man pace attack that looks to do the majority of the work, with Rashid inkling out tail-enders and coming into the game in the second innings (if we can get him runs on the board).

If we have Stokes at 6 as one of our seamers, there may be room for Moeen at 7 somewhere between a batsman who bowls and a batting all-rounder, with Rashid + 3 at 8-11. If Stokes is out of the next series, and we have Rashid + 4 at 7-11, then Moeen is perhaps a bit high at 6, but he may be worth persevering with. For what it's worth, I think Moeen has been horrifically mismanaged, and he should have been left as a middle-order batsman who gets an occasional bowl, rather than a bowling all-rounder or opener.

I think we have to stick with Rashid and let him develop his game at test level, but within the confines of his ability. There is no-one else who can come into this team and do a better job. A lower order of Stokes, Moeen, Rashid, Wood, Broad, Anderson should be able to take 20 wickets regularly enough in any conditions, we just need to crack the top 5.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 9:43 am

Olly wrote:Moeen!!

Yes, more magic / luck [delete as appropriate] from England's number one spinner.

Admittedly you could probably say this about most of 'em but Moeen keeps plugging away and never looks like giving up. If some of it is luck, he deserves it.

On the keeper front, I was keen to bring Read back for a year when Prior packed up. However, that ship has sailed and it's too late to do that now. Hopefully, Buttler will rediscover his mojo and return. If not, another who might be considered before long is Ben Foakes at Surrey. Very natural and athletic keeper who can also bat. In the Performance squad for this winter so clearly on England's radar although he still needs to become the regular first choice keeper at Surrey by dislodging Ireland's Gary Wilson who (surprisingly to many) is often the preferred choice.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:04 am

Bairstow not having a great time behind the stumps. Rashid not threatening at all.

Pakistan well in control now

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:10 am

Thoughtful post from robbo , above. I hear what you're saying ; but it strikes me that effectively designing the whole team around a promising but hardly proven wrist spinner is a bit of a gamble ...and perhaps not a necessary one.
Rashid has bowled better today , I agree . He should have had a vital wicket first up this morning ; and who knows , he might have gone on to take more ? But the fact remains he has not made any more chances in 25 overs ...and has still leaked runs fairly steadily.
I am not writing him off at all . But I don't think there is any evidence that he is going to be a "special" bowler , worth altering the whole balance of the team to accommodate.
That team of yours is a bit light on full time batsmen , no ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:15 am

I am with Alfie, I don't see anything in Rashid to make building a team around him worthwhile. He will likely end this Test with an average of 70+ and an economy rate around 4rpo. Those are Salisbury-esque numbers.

I'd expect to see England return to 4 pacers + Moeen in SA and at home

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:19 am

7th wicket partnership......running away with the game
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:23 am

Patel bowls Sarfraz : good bit of bowling clap

I was about to post that this partnership had just about closed the door on England ; but that wicket keeps it open , just a crack.

Sarfraz as I feared did a lot of damage with that innings - very useful fellow at seven.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:23 am

but Patel halts them...lead still ain't 250 yet and Pak has a real real tail
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:34 am

VTR wrote:I am with Alfie, I don't see anything in Rashid to make building a team around him worthwhile. He will likely end this Test with an average of 70+ and an economy rate around 4rpo. Those are Salisbury-esque numbers.

I'd expect to see England return to 4 pacers + Moeen in SA and at home

Aw shucks, VTR - I had been saving up a reference to Salisbury! Smile

I too am with Alfie. If anything, stronger in my concerns. I've always been doubtful and made no secret about it of an England leg spinner doing the business in Tests.

I do agree with Alfie that it was a thoughtful post from Robbo. It is worth emphasising - as Robbo does - that Pakistan's batsmen are so good at playing spin that it makes our slow bowlers appear even worse.

Final point on Robbo's team - if I'm reading things correctly, you'll have to crowbar a keeper into the top five. As a general rule, not keen on that.

Meanwhile, dreadful drop by the normally reliable Anderson to deny the hard working Patel a second wicket. A second wicket in this innings would give a decent look to Patel's performance.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:35 am

Oh no ...Anderson of all people drops a straightforward catch at mid on Shocked

Just not England's day I'm afraid. Jimmy would have swallowed that 99 times out of 100. Not quite sure how he got himself out of position then ... Shows we're all human I guess but it has been the theme of the day.
Pakistan not quite out of sight ; but England really need to finish this innings quickly.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:38 am

(guildfordbat and I would say that, wouldn't we, but...)

If Surrey go well in Div 1 next season, there could be a cluster of players pushing for England selection. In addition to Foakes as mentioned above and Roy - much more than just a one day hitter nowadays - it's safe to assume that, had he not hurt himself at Lancs the very day he was selected, Ansari would be making his England debut this game. Others are possibly in the longer term frame: the Curran brothers and even Burns who goes about his business brilliantly if usually under the wider public radar.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:42 am

8 down and lead not yet 250
eng will get a full session today to bat
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:56 am

Pakistan would dearly love 30 more runs. In replacing Wood with Patel, England have replaced a bowler with a guy who can hang around. This might be very important
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 11:05 am

Lead over 250 now . But only two rabbits left to keep Shafiq company...

Still a contest : though Pakistan's spinners give them the edge , I think.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 11:09 am

More freebie runs from Patel and Rashid to start the session. If Jimmy and Broad can still manage to run up to the wicket, Cook should give 'em the ball now.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 11:11 am

kingraf wrote:Pakistan would dearly love 30 more runs. In replacing Wood with Patel, England have replaced a bowler with a guy who can hang around. This might be very important

Halfway there. Took only three overs as well
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum