England Team:

Cook, Ali, Bell, root, Taylor, Stokes, Bairstow, Rashid, Broad, TBC, Anderson

Pakistan Team:

TBC

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Re: Pakistan vs England; 3rd Test - Sunday 1st November to Thursday 5th

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:05 pm

Olly wrote:This is the crucial innings of the test. England need to go big, don't fancy them chasing anything above 150 in the 4th innings against yasir

I'd agree with Robert Keys assessment on Sky before play in that whoever has a lead after the first innings will win.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:09 pm

Olly wrote:Looked like stokes dislocated his shoulder to me - if so that would probably keep him out the south Africa series too.

IT'S CHRIS WOAKES TIME PEOPLE #hulluvaplaar

Perhaps we should await the official medical report . But certainly this has potential to upset England's team balance for SA . I don't quite share your enthusiasm for Woakes ; he is undoubtedly worth a try , but not sure he can have the same sort of impact as Stokes with the bat.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:12 pm

Olly wrote:Jimmy Anderson now leading wicket taker in the series.

Remember he's only good in swinging conditions tho folks

Careful now , Olly

You'll have kingraf charging on to invoke unflattering comparisons with a Certain SA Bowler Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:13 pm

alfie wrote:
Olly wrote:Looked like stokes dislocated his shoulder to me - if so that would probably keep him out the south Africa series too.

Perhaps we should await the official medical report .  But certainly this has potential to upset England's team balance for SA .   I don't quite share your enthusiasm for Woakes ; he is undoubtedly worth a try , but not sure he can have the same sort of impact as Stokes with the bat.

Woakes is a pretty underrated bat - although I'd probably shuffle to keeper upto 6, Moeen at 7 and him at 8

Stokes looked in a real bad way - I struggle to see how that wasn't serious unfortunately

Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:14 pm

alfie wrote:
Olly wrote:Jimmy Anderson now leading wicket taker in the series.

Remember he's only good in swinging conditions tho folks

Careful now , Olly

You'll have kingraf charging on to invoke unflattering comparisons with a Certain SA Bowler Smile

Smile Smile Smile

Seriously tho his figures for the series so far are 11-151. That's an average of 13.72 and an economy of 1.83

Not shabby
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:17 pm

England safely negotiate the last two overs of play to close on 4 for 0. England's day for sure but they must back it up with a strong showing with the bat tomorrow.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:17 pm

Olly wrote:
alfie wrote:

Perhaps we should await the official medical report .  But certainly this has potential to upset England's team balance for SA .   I don't quite share your enthusiasm for Woakes ; he is undoubtedly worth a try , but not sure he can have the same sort of impact as Stokes with the bat.

Woakes is a pretty underrated bat - although I'd probably shuffle to keeper upto 6, Moeen at 7 and him at 8

Stokes looked in a real bad way - I struggle to see how that wasn't serious unfortunately

That could work. Though I suppose if Woakes is as low as eight there may be other candidates for the third pace man's spot ?

Time to discuss later.

6 without loss. Like Moeen's approach to batting out the last over of the day Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:21 pm

alfie wrote:
JDizzle wrote:England need to wrap this up asap. Because as good a performance as having Pak 224-9 is, Pakistan won't bowl as poorly as our spinners and it is turning a lot! Could be a struggle...

Pakistan certainly have better spinners.  But after losing the toss , getting them out for around 230 would be a pretty good job...
Batting will be a challenge : but if England can grind out a decent lead then they will have a good shot at leveling the series.

Guess Rahat is a better bat than Imran Smile

(Well I think my cat is a better bat than Imran ) ; but surely he isn't about to lead a last wicket stand of any substance ?

I typed 'need to wrap this up' just before Misbah snickered off, I wasn't that confident in the 10 and 11s batting! It was also a slight code that I think Pakistan have got enough already! England need 400 really I think, lead of 170, then bowl Pak out for 250 and chase down 80 to win! If we need 120+ last innings...

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:41 pm

I would kill for a lead of 170 !

I would not expect Pakistan to get 200 second time around ; so I fancy a lead of just 100 might do the trick.

But getting any lead remains a task...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:46 pm

Definitely a good day for England although we really have to wait until late tomorrow to determine how good.

Excellent pressure built by Jimmy and Broad and then very well capitalised upon. As Alfie said, one over too many for Patel and a few pies along the way but he should still be pleased by his contribution. A couple of deserved wickets (two is always more than twice one for a bowler, eh Alfie?  Wink ) in his Tredwellian type role. He sent down 23 overs - think that showed the value of a sixth bowler in these conditions. Not sure how those overs would have been made up today without a sixth.

Moeen's usual skill / lucky knack [delete as appropriate] also accounting for two batsmen. Nothing for Rashid who went at his regular rate of more than 4 but I guess his party invitation is really for the second innings.

Generally good fielding and catching as well. Bairstow unspectacular but tidy and reliable which is far more important. Neat catch off Patel.

Pleased that Moeen hit a boundary in the final over. Sure, the most important thing by a million miles was not losing a wicket tonight but if the ball was there to be hit, that was the right thing to do. Shows we've got some positive intent and already gives a hint that we'll be doing more tomorrow than prodding around hoping not to get out.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:05 pm

Nice to see Anderson rolling out his customary one-brilliant-test-performance-in-a-series!

If England bat long and get a 400+ score, they will win, and it will be a tremendous overall result in the series - 1-1 and on the brink of victory in the other. It could be a remarkable turn-around from the pathetic showing three and a half years ago.

But if England get rolled out cheaply, and get drawn into a low-scoring scrap, they will surely be defeated 2-0.

Looks like Cook and/or Root need to drag out another world-class batting effort.

Or maybe Bell can go off into the sunset with a double century?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:55 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Not a terrible first session for England. Pakistan winning the toss and batting are 87 for 2 at lunch. You'd feel that England have to bowl Pakistan out for a lot less than 400 to be in with a shout as the pitch is already looking receptive to spin so it is only going to get tougher to bat on.

Yes that's an apt summary.....Eng needed to get Pak out cheap and they did so...
pak is about 50 short of a par first inning score.

Now Eng need to score 300 to be at par...given that they have to chase.

Well bowled anderson on this pitch....he had a very few new ball overs but made them count in gold......super performer OK

3 spinners is one too many.....fast in the air Wood would have gotten reverse on a dry rough pitch.
Patel though he took wickets is primarily in.....driven by Eng wanting more depth in batting.
As I said above......Now Eng need to score 300 to be at par...given that they have to chase.
Fear is.....a 200-250ish crumble...as I read pitch was turning on D1
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:33 am

Moeen has done something stupid. Again.

19-1. Time for Cook and Bell to dig in.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:28 am

Things are going well so far, was pleasantly surprised to see 230ao yesterday after checking the lunch score before that. Is sounds like Patel was the best of the spinners?

A long way to go still though to get into a commanding position, and it will be mainly down to Cook or Root as usual

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:58 am

Not sure why Cook is going back to that ball, easy catch for short leg
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:27 am

I fear the game has now gone for England with Cook and Root out. We really needed 400 I think, and I don't see us getting anywhere near that without a hundred from one of those two

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:30 am

VTR wrote:Things are going well so far, was pleasantly surprised to see 230ao yesterday after checking the lunch score before that. Is sounds like Patel was the best of the spinners?

A long way to go still though to get into a commanding position, and it will be mainly down to Cook or Root as usual

Hi VTR - yes, definitely. Patel got turn and brought some control. Before his very expensive last over (conceded 17), he had 2/68 from 22 overs which I thought was a fair and decent return. Particularly as he dislocated the little finger of his bowling hand fielding his second delivery. In view of that and him playing little lately, probably understandable and just about forgivable that he served up a few boundary balls. Worth emphasising as well that his wickets were due to two very good balls unlike Moeen's which owed a lot more to the rashness of Pakistan's batsmen.

David Lloyd referred to Patel doing ''a terrific job''. Mind you, Bob Willis was not so impressed and only regarded him as the best of a bad spinning lot. Speaking on Sky's The Verdict last night, he said, ''I thought he bowled well at the start and got actually worse and worse as the day progressed. Don't ask me about the other two!''

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:35 am

VTR wrote:I fear the game has now gone for England with Cook and Root out. We really needed 400 I think, and I don't see us getting anywhere near that without a hundred from one of those two

Hi again VTR - certainly not looking great for England now at 102/3 (effectively 4 assuming Stokes cannot bat). However, to quote from another post of your's - ''a long way to go still''. Don't forget how Pakistan's batsmen caved in in the second innings of the first Test.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:49 am

True guildford, its just I personally panic when Cook is out, then its full on meltdown when Root joins him in the hutch

I suppose one way to look at it is an opportunity for Bell to prove the doubters wrong!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:54 am

from 90-1 to 97-3 looks not so good anymore....and from Eng's p.o.v their big guns Cook and Root are back.

They have enough depth though in batting to...get to or even past Pak score still...if they "keep playing positively".....20s and 30s from all the batsmen and allrounders should do it .

the key is lead...if they can't get about 70 runs ahead in first inning.....then they are still behind in the game
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:18 am

VTR wrote:True guildford, its just I personally panic when Cook is out, then its full on meltdown when Root joins him in the hutch

I suppose one way to look at it is an opportunity for Bell to prove the doubters wrong!

I certainly understand that, VTR!

Bell doing a good job so far. As well as him, opportunities for Taylor and Bairstow in this innings. Scores of 50+ here will be worth a lot to England in this Test and for their careers.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:42 am

A mere 48 runs from the 27 overs in the second session and the loss of England's two best batsmen. However, I don't see it as all doom and gloom - considerable and impressive resilience being shown by Bell and Taylor ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:16 am

Well Bell gone.....and although this partnership, showed fight and played out 20 overs...they added only 40 runs.

I wrote in my last post.......Eng "have to bat positively"...that's the only way on a pitch where either you will get a delivery with "death" written on it...or the intensity of the concentration will dip just enough to prove fatal....every 10 overs of batting.

So you've gotta score while out there.....merely "eating deliveries" doesn't help.

those 20 overs should have  accounted for 70 runs at aleast
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:38 am

Well its easy to criticise from behind a keyboard but this run-rate is killing England I think. 70 overs now for 150, if we had been 40 or 50 runs further on Pakistan would be starting to worry

40 is not good enough again from Bell as well, he was set and needs to go on to a hundred rather than having 40-odd as the upper limit of his contributions!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:44 am

Can't help feeling Ansari would have liked batting on this pitch - he'd have been up for grinding along at a strike rate of about 30! Wink

Sudden burst of activity as Bairstow and Taylor each score a single....  Good old fashioned cricket - apart from the slow over rate.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:52 am

Completely share the frustration about Bell not going on. Probably a bit much though to be looking for a century - there's only been one fifty so far.

I'm also inclined to be more sympathetic about England's run rate although I haven't seen that much of the play and so don't know if we've squandered many scoring opportunities. I would say though that having lost Cook and Root in the early part of the middle session it was important to get to tea with no more losses.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:55 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Can't help feeling Ansari would have liked batting on this pitch - he'd have been up for grinding along at a strike rate of about 30! Wink

Sudden burst of activity as Bairstow and Taylor each score a single....  Good old fashioned cricket - apart from the slow over rate.

Morning Corporal - oh yes, Zaf would have been looking to book in for bed, breakfast and evening meal! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:22 pm

A very valuable 50 from Taylor - for him and England. Only the second of the match. clap

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:26 pm

Yes that's very nicely done. Pretty clear Taylor should have been in the team from the First Test, as many on here wanted

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:31 pm

Only got in about 166/4 so I've not seen much today : these two inching their way along somewhat - though with four gon and a new ball coming I'm not inclined to be too critical.
They do seem to have been looking for the singles.

Taylor justifying his place with 50 ...needs to go on now.

Reckon this one is very much in the balance at the moment : will perhaps have a better idea when we see how the new ball spells go.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:42 pm

The only thing keeping this close so far is the stokes injury and the fact we're basically a man down.

If he weren't we'd be well on top imo
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:49 pm

Olly wrote:The only thing keeping this close so far is the stokes injury and the fact we're basically a man down.

If he weren't we'd be well on top imo

I'll only say " well on top" when & if a decent lead is obtained...but certainly things would look better if Stokes were sitting padded up to come in next...Still some handy bats left to come , mind.

Has there been any report on how serious his injury is ? How long he'll be out for , etc ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:54 pm

I have been asking for a long time......"How does Taylor not play for Eng" Shocked Shocked
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi Alfie - Stokes was having a scan this afternoon (UAE time) although I haven't heard any results.

Tempting fate for this last handful of overs but I reckon England have done pretty well today.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:07 pm

Taylor needs to go big, if he doesn't make himself undroppable we know the selectors wont stick with him.
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:10 pm

If they'd offered us 211/4 at the start of play I think most of us would have bitten the hand off...lot of work still to do ; but this looks like a decent platform. Having kept Pakistan in the field all day is a positive too.

As I say I didn't see any of the earlier batting ; but a lot to like about the way these two have played . Nothing extravagant ; but they have been looking to keep it ticking over , and in fact the runs have come quite fluently in this last hour.
One over left.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:14 pm

GSC wrote:Taylor needs to go big, if he doesn't make himself undroppable we know the selectors wont stick with him.

That's just conspiracy theory. A spot opened , he has taken it : he will keep it in SA. How he performs there will decide whether he becomes undroppable

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:14 pm

Ian Bell, yet again, playing the most Ian Bell innings one could possibly imagine. Gets in, gets settled, occupies the crease, accumulates runs...and out without making a big score.

Pleased with England's approach, to be honest. Grind Pakistan down in the field with the top and middle order, then allow the flair batters in the lower echelons to accelerate well past Pakistan's score.

Going to plan, thus far. Taylor has been wonderful and Bairstow has been pleasing. One (or more) of Patel/Rashid/Broad needs to chip in with a breezy half-century to pin the opposition back. And can Stokes bat?

England still need 180+ more runs to be in a commanding position. Hopefully, it will be a beleaguered and weary Pakistan who take to the field tomorrow, after England's good work today.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:16 pm

Agree - that is England's day. I couldn't see who would make big runs outside of Cook and Root, but Taylor has done amazingly well on his comeback Test and now has the highest score in the match. Bairstow has also toughed it out, perhaps he will go on this time

England still have batting to come, a lead of 150 would be excellent

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:16 pm

Very pleased for Taylor. Long overdue chance and he took it.
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:19 pm

Close at 222/4. Excellent day for England clap

This partnership has put them in a pretty handy position . Obviously , batting last , they'll want a significant lead ; and it could all go wrong if they lose concentration. But really ; if they can get set again tomorrow , the time and overs Pakistan have spent today are going to start to tell on them : there will be an opportunity to score some runs.
Better take it : these chances don't come along every week in UAE...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:21 pm

alfie wrote:
GSC wrote:Taylor needs to go big, if he doesn't make himself undroppable we know the selectors wont stick with him.

That's just conspiracy theory.  A spot opened , he has taken it : he will keep it in SA.  How he performs there will decide whether he becomes undroppable

Has Bairstow done enough to hold off a Buttler return?

Good final session for England tops of a good day. Match finely balanced.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:29 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
alfie wrote:

That's just conspiracy theory.  A spot opened , he has taken it : he will keep it in SA.  How he performs there will decide whether he becomes undroppable

He may well have done. I could see a top 7 in SA of:

Cook
Hales
Bell
Root
Taylor
Stokes
Bairstow

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:30 pm

Afternoon all. A pretty good day for England really. Worked hard, and I thought Pakistan bowled well, offering limited opportunities for scoring, so not massively fussed with the slow run rate.

Ian Bell. Meh. Thought he played well pre-lunch, but was pretty ordinary thereafter. Sure, the loss of two quick wickets, and England's top two batsmen to boot, put quite a bit of pressure on, but still thought he could have been more pro-active throughout the afternoon. If you look at a breakdown of England's scoring rate, it was Bell's dropping right off which probably slowed them down more than anything. I can't help but feel he could have been a bit more positive.

Taylor was excellent. I'm not really surprised TBH, whenever I've watched him he looks a very very good player of spin, and he showed that today. Showed why many on here (most?) wanted him in the team from the start of the series. Hope he can really cash in tomorrow.

Really impressed by Bairstow today too. Slightly iffy start, but worked out a good gameplan, made sure the strike kept rotating, and a really excellent partnership with Taylor, coming at a much needed moment.

England definitely in a strong position, but need a good first session tomorrow to cash in on that. Even with Stokes's (probable) absence, England still bat deep, with Rashid (off the back of a fine knock in the last test), Patel and Broad (who's batting well this series so far) still to come. They need to make this count.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:32 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
alfie wrote:

Good final session for England tops of a good day. Match finely balanced.

Sound job behind the stumps on day one ; and a very good innings - unfinished - today.

I'd say he's made a pretty good start.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:04 pm

A very hardworking and ultimately satisfying day for England. Excellent from Taylor.

As others have said, we need to make it count tomorrow but we should be pleased about being in such a position now (even without Stokes presumably). Good as well for Jimmy and Broad to be able to spend all day with their feet up, bearing in mind their efforts yesterday and what is still to come.

I think it's important for Bairstow that he reaches at least 50. His innings today was very valuable and worth a lot more than a normal 30 odd. However, that's how it'll soon be largely remembered if he doesn't convert it into a recognisable total - unfair but probably the way it is.
Also re Bairstow - to my surprise, thought he kept well yesterday. An especially neat catch off Patel's bowling.

Mind you, two good dismissals from behind the stumps today by Sarfraz. The catch to get Root was a beauty and fast work to stump Bell from Yasir Shah's bowling. He bowls a lot quicker than Rashid which goes some way to creating the opportunity.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half on Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:47 pm

Thoughts:

good position but we need to push on to a lead in excess of 100 to offset the challenge of batting last. More than that and we might even have some scoreboard pressure on Pakistan in the next innings.

Taylor showed that he is excellent against spin, which I understand has always been his reputation. Should have been in for the first two matches, perhaps at the expense of Bairstow.

Bell - It must be frustrating even for him to keep getting in and getting out without making a real match-defining score. We all know he has the technical ability to do it, but lacks a bit in the mental resilience department compared to the real top players.

Bairstow has done well a couple of times now batting in pressure situations (was it the last ODI of the summer as well?). Needs to push on and get at least a 50 from here.

I am bit worried because we've developed a habit for losing wickets early on a new day, to go from an apparently strong batting position to a weak one - did it twice in Dubai, and I think Bairstow was involved both times (also been Root's biggest weakness recently).

Overall though, we've had the better of both days,

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:16 pm

Exceptional last session sees us into a position where we can take control tomorrow. Hopefully these two will go big, and cement positions in the side.

Taylor really is a classy classy player. Still baffles me that he hasn't had a test since 2012 before this one.

As duty said above, bell played the most bell innings of all time. I'd like to see Ballance come into the side ahead of him
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:53 pm

So think that is just about an even day, and due to their first day domination, think England are slightly ahead at the moment. But with Stokes unlikely to bat, and Root and Cook already out, Pakistan would feel they aren't far behind yet. England's poor runrate didn't really help, a couple of early wickets tomorrow can bring Pakistan right back in the game. Pakistan would be hoping to restrict the England lead around 70 80 at most, England would be hoping they would have credit above 120 130 at least. If they manage a lead in that region, it would be difficult for Pakistan.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:15 pm

No I disagree I think a England have the edge. Pakistan won the toss and would have hoped for a score in excess of 300 which they fell well short of and whoever got a first innings lead was in the box seat. Even a lead of 50 on a deteriorating pitch is worth 100 on a normal pitch. England are 12 behind with five wickets left and a strong tail to come in. From here the minimum lead England will want is 50 and they'd need a spectacular collapse not to get that lead.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum