The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer wins again

+8
summerblues
Josiah Maiestas
lags72
HM Murdock
bogbrush
laverfan
temporary21
Jahu
12 posters

Go down

Federer wins again Empty Federer wins again

Post by Jahu Wed 11 Nov 2015, 10:00 pm

Federer has been selected by his peers as winner of the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award for the 11th time. He also gets the fans' favorite award for a 13th straight year.

Btw, since Djoko is hot topic these days, he was not even nominated for the Edberg award, and was third at Fans Award after Federer (65%) and Nadal.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/11/roger-federer-sportsmanship-award-fan-favourite-favorite-atp-how-many-years-in-a-row

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo
king  king  king  king  king
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Federer wins again Empty Re: Federer wins again

Post by temporary21 Wed 11 Nov 2015, 10:06 pm

and Yet Novak has almost all the prizes that actually matter, and has doen for years now
#king

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 12 Nov 2015, 12:53 am

Did not some one say The Kings is Dead! Long Live the King! ?

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 12 Nov 2015, 11:04 am

I expect Federer's popularity will see this maintained until he retires. It's obvious how popular he is, from the allegiance of fans at big events (where he gets a good 50% or more at Wimbledon against Murray, to about 99% against Djokovic at the USO). It's just a reality that the guy is the one that tennis fans like the most.

It's just as emphatic amongst the players, where probably his attitude to the lower ranked guys plays very well (his insistence that the ranking system wasn't rigged against up-and-coming guys, for example) as well as whatever it is caused guys like Roddick to be unable to dislike him back in the day when he was preventing them from winning Slams (as he still is apart from Djokovic).

Indeed, as he's pretty much on an unofficial extended farewell tour, I'd have thought it'll become even stronger.

Obviously that's upsetting to some posters but that's their problem.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 12 Nov 2015, 11:18 am

I suspect the endless Edberg awards are more a result of what he does off-court than on.

Aside from what he's done in an official capacity, we hear stories about nice personal touches toward players.

I remember James Blake saying how Federer sent him a note when he was in hospital, Laura Robson saying how Federer knew her name and spoke to her when she was just 15, Andy Roddick saying how respectfully muted Roger would be in his celebrations in the locker room etc etc.

In the last couple of days he's flown out to Finland to play in a farewell match for Niemenen.

One can understand why he's popular among the players.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 12 Nov 2015, 12:06 pm

I well recall Laura Robson being close to ecstatic about Federer addressing her by name several years ago (I couldn't believe he even knew who I was ....) and Andy Roddick's amusing take on how "as much as I want to dislike the guy, and have lots of professional reasons to do so, I just can't "(or words to that effect).

Wasn't aware of the Blake incident, or indeed this special match for Nieminen in Finland.

My all-time favourite (I've tried to stop using 'hero' given that I'm no longer at school !) remains Bjorn Borg. I used to say we will never see his like again, and I still believe that to be the case. And I am convinced the same applies - albeit in different ways - to Federer.

Borg was suddenly gone from the circuit almost before we knew it. Too soon. At least with Federer, it is - as bogbrush says - more a case of an extended farewell tour, with any more titles or deep runs at Slams being merely a bonus rather than in any way career-defining.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 12 Nov 2015, 12:15 pm

temporary21 wrote:and Yet Novak has almost all the prizes that actually matter, and has doen for years now
#king
Difference between Fed and Novak is Fed completed his mission in 2009.. Novak had his best chance and blew it this year. Keep 'em coming Mr Mod thumbsup
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 12 Nov 2015, 3:05 pm

In three years novak could consign everything Federers done to obscurity. I imagine that's why such s big deal is made of this. You guys are right to be very worried

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 12 Nov 2015, 3:37 pm

In 6 months he will be 29 years old. He won't be able to replicate the things he's done from 2011-2015 matey.

There's a good chance will have an early round slam loss this coming year which is normal after the luck he's had the last 12 months
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 12 Nov 2015, 3:52 pm

HM Murdock wrote:I suspect the endless Edberg awards are more a result of what he does off-court than on.

Aside from what he's done in an official capacity, we hear stories about nice personal touches toward players.

I remember James Blake saying how Federer sent him a note when he was in hospital, Laura Robson saying how Federer knew her name and spoke to her when she was just 15, Andy Roddick saying how respectfully muted Roger would be in his celebrations in the locker room etc etc.

In the last couple of days he's flown out to Finland to play in a farewell match for Niemenen.

One can understand why he's popular among the players.
Yeah, I remember that about Blake. He said he was incredibly down about the possible terminal impact on his career and it was only Fed who got in touch, and that it cheered him up no end to think he'd thought about him. I also remember the Laura Robson one, which if you think about it would completely blow a 15 year old girl away - the record breaking King of the Mens game knows who she is, and is interested!

Some people are made that way; some people remember names, birthdays, events and just care enough to be like that. I think I'm a nice enough guy but I can't remember a persons name 10 seconds after I've been introduced, unless that is useful to me. I guess I won't be winning any Edberg awards.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 12 Nov 2015, 3:53 pm

temporary21 wrote:In three years novak could consign everything Federers done to obscurity. I imagine that's why such s big deal is made of this. You guys are right to be very worried
I can feel your pain. It is tangible.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 12 Nov 2015, 4:04 pm

temporary21 wrote:In three years novak could consign everything Federers done to obscurity. I imagine that's why such s big deal is made of this. You guys are right to be very worried

Roger Federer "consigned to obscurity ......"

Too funny for words Rolling Eyes

Reminds me of the Decca record company boss who was given the chance by Brian Epstein to sign the Beatles in 1962.

He listened to their music for a couple of minutes. And promptly told Epstein that it sounded okay, but he wasn't interested because "guitar groups are on the way out"

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 12 Nov 2015, 4:19 pm

bogbrush wrote:I think I'm a nice enough guy but I can't remember a persons name 10 seconds after I've been introduced, unless that is useful to me. I guess I won't be winning any Edberg awards.
When invitations to social events arrive via Mrs Murdock, I'll ask her who is going to be there. She tells me names of people who she assures me I've met before but, when we arrive, I have no idea who they are.

I'd think she was pulling a fast one but, disconcertingly, these strangers seem to know who I am. So either they're all in on it together or I'm as deficient as you in this regard!

Is there an Ivan Lendl award?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 12 Nov 2015, 4:37 pm

Oh dear, its got very tribal hasnt it
Ill leave you all to celebrate the Swiss number twos best win of the year!

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 12 Nov 2015, 4:40 pm

HM Murdock wrote:
bogbrush wrote:I think I'm a nice enough guy but I can't remember a persons name 10 seconds after I've been introduced, unless that is useful to me. I guess I won't be winning any Edberg awards.
When invitations to social events arrive via Mrs Murdock, I'll ask her who is going to be there. She tells me names of people who she assures me I've met before but, when we arrive, I have no idea who they are.

I'd think she was pulling a fast one but, disconcertingly, these strangers seem to know who I am. So either they're all in on it together or I'm as deficient as you in this regard!

Is there an Ivan Lendl award?
Yep, and I bet like Mrs Bogbrush she knows all their birthdays, anniversaries and shoe sizes.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 12 Nov 2015, 4:41 pm

temporary21 wrote:Oh dear, its got very tribal hasnt it
Ill leave you all to celebrate the Swiss number twos best win of the year!
It wasn't until someone's pain got the better of them.

Swiss #2? Stan??
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 12 Nov 2015, 5:15 pm

temporary21 wrote:Oh dear, its got very tribal hasnt it

Well, at least nobody could accuse you of non-sequiturs Wink

A. On a thread centred on the Stefan Edberg Award, you veer off topic to put forward the (seriously wacky !) notion that Djokovic could well consign Federer's legacy of achievements "to obscurity"

B. You then say  "it's got very tribal hasn't it "

I really doubt there could be better evidence of the development described in B than your own remark in A.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 12 Nov 2015, 6:12 pm

Well Mod seeing as you can't wait to say something iffy about a Swiss player you shouldn't be surprised that it gets tribal in here.

You couldn't help yourself to bring the tone down in your first post picard
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 13 Nov 2015, 12:33 am

I looked in vain for the antonym of "moderator".

Maybe "extreminator"?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 13 Nov 2015, 3:08 am

temporary21 wrote:In three years novak could consign everything Federers done to obscurity.
Where did this come from? Surely you are not serious?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 13 Nov 2015, 5:07 am

summerblues wrote:
temporary21 wrote:In three years novak could consign everything Federers done to obscurity.
Where did this come from?  Surely you are not serious?

Ha ha !

I can almost hear Johnny Mac's never-to-be-forgotten you cannot be serious man in your rhetorical question there summerblues  Very Happy

I suppose if the entire history of the sport of tennis were - for some wholly inexplicable reason* - ever "consigned to obscurity", then yes, the achievements of a certain Roger Federer could suffer a similar fate.

(* collective amnesia on the part of the world's population ......??)

But at least this particular gem from temporary21 is assured of its own special place in the archives of 606v2.

A true classic.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Fri 13 Nov 2015, 4:01 pm

I often have wondered how a "moderator" can be so antagonistic against and biased against one player and his fans. Nearly every thread contains some snarky remark about Federer or his fans from Temp21.......... then when an argument begins- he/she jumps in to tell everyone to cool it. Is it a game to you to flame arguments then pretend you don't want them to go on?

It's quite blatant, and the remarks as we see above are so ridiculous that you have to wonder if temp is serious or really just a delusional fed hater.... it's odd for sure from a so/called moderator.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 13 Nov 2015, 4:24 pm

Yeah, plus she deleted my comment I did after that first post of hers, where I said: Fed has all the prizes that matter too and all others that Djoko does not have.

Probably fifth time in 2 months that Tempo has ruined a positive thread about Fed, with Djoko comments.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 13 Nov 2015, 4:35 pm

Jahu wrote:Yeah, plus she deleted my comment I did after that first post of hers, where I said: Fed has all the prizes that matter too and all others that Djoko does not have.

Probably fifth time in 2 months that Tempo has ruined a positive thread about Fed, with Djoko comments.
Well she finds it harder to invoke Rafa comments this year....
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Fri 13 Nov 2015, 4:38 pm

Jahu wrote:Yeah, plus she deleted my comment I did after that first post of hers, where I said: Fed has all the prizes that matter too and all others that Djoko does not have.

Exactly- it's blatant- plain and simple. Often off topic, and just to wind people up. To then give someone the power to be able to delete comments after they are the ones who start the nonsense is just wrong. Who can I contact about this?

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 13 Nov 2015, 5:18 pm

I think it was me who deleted the comment, as it was posted by a duplicate account.

Hero or Adam D are the Admins i.e. the ones to contact.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 13 Nov 2015, 5:32 pm

JHM, please reinstate my other spare account, so I'm not left without weapons in case of war Wink

I'm under strict orders from LF to not argue with Tempo, but last 2-3 months he/she has taken the role of belittling every Fed news and thread.

Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 13 Nov 2015, 5:36 pm

Jahu wrote:JHM, please reinstate my other spare account

Nice try Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 13 Nov 2015, 5:43 pm

Selfish papi zen
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Fri 13 Nov 2015, 6:06 pm

Jahu wrote:Federer has been selected by his peers as winner of the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award for the 11th time. He also gets the fans' favorite award for a 13th straight year.

Btw, since Djoko is hot topic these days, he was not even nominated for the Edberg award, and was third at Fans Award after Federer (65%) and Nadal.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/11/roger-federer-sportsmanship-award-fan-favourite-favorite-atp-how-many-years-in-a-row

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo
king  king  king  king  king

Good for him. It seems from your reaction that this award must be so much prestigous for him. I wish him to get many such awards in the future.
Wait a moment, it is not fair that he won it, because his coach is Stefan alone and he surely had a word in it Very Happy

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 13 Nov 2015, 6:22 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:In 6 months he will be 29 years old. He won't be able to replicate the things he's done from 2011-2015 matey.

There's a good chance will have an early round slam loss this coming year which is normal after the luck he's had the last 12 months

Yeah we heard the same voices who said in 2012,2013, 2014 etc. that he would never have another season like he did in 2011. Pretty much all the predictions from the naysayers has been proven to be wrong.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 13 Nov 2015, 6:28 pm

paulcz wrote:
Good for him. It seems from your reaction that this award must be so much prestigous  for him.  I wish him to get many such awards in the future.
Wait a moment, it is not fair that he won it, because his coach is Stefan alone and he surely had a word in it Very Happy

Paul, it was more of a tongue in cheek comment, figuratively expressed by the silly smilies and agree about the collusion of interests here with Edberg Smile
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Fri 13 Nov 2015, 7:01 pm

Jahu wrote:
paulcz wrote:
Good for him. It seems from your reaction that this award must be so much prestigous  for him.  I wish him to get many such awards in the future.

Paul, it was more of a tongue in cheek comment, figuratively expressed by the silly smilies and agree about the collusion of interests here with Edberg Smile

Jahu, not only you was cheeky here.
Anyway I am really glad that you agree with the collusion of interests and that Fed should give the award back due to that Very Happy

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Nov 2015, 9:15 pm

Jahu wrote:Federer has been selected by his peers as winner of the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award for the 11th time. He also gets the fans' favorite award for a 13th straight year.

Btw, since Djoko is hot topic these days, he was not even nominated for the Edberg award, and was third at Fans Award after Federer (65%) and Nadal. ...

Hasn't Stefan Edberg been Federer's coach for nigh on two years?  Sounds like a conflict of interest if you ask me.  No wonder Edberg never nominated Djoko for the award. It's a Swiss swiz if you ask me.

In any case Edberg is a has been compared to Federer.  It would be much more prestigious to win the Roger Federer's Award.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down