The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ward relinquishes WBA Super belt

+6
Nico the gman
milkyboy
Happytravelling
Dipper Brown
Derbymanc
Mr Bounce
10 posters

Go down

Ward relinquishes WBA Super belt Empty Ward relinquishes WBA Super belt

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 14 Nov 2015, 9:33 am

The worst kept secret in boxing is out. Andre Ward has given up the WBA supermiddle belt to head off to the land of the 175 lbers, hoping to eventually face off against Kovalev.

Despite his talent (of which he has a huge amount), has there ever been a boxer that brings such a cloud of "meh" to all but the most die - hard fans?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Ward relinquishes WBA Super belt Empty Re: Ward relinquishes WBA Super belt

Post by Derbymanc Sat 14 Nov 2015, 9:59 am

Don't think his personality helps, always comes across as thinking he's better than everyone else (which to be fair he can say) but doesn't seem willing to test himself. (My opinion)

Hopefully he's moving up, will clear the division out and will show why he's thought so highly of.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sat 14 Nov 2015, 10:29 am

If it leads to a Kovalev fight then great news. That's a very interesting fight between two great fighters and should be a clash of styles. Also, welcome back Derby. Haven't seen you post in some time!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sat 14 Nov 2015, 11:01 am

I'm always around Dipper, at work though (life on the ocean waves) and Tinterwebs crap sometimes so can't get on when i'd like. TV's busted too so can't watch the boxing at the moment although by all accounts i haven't missed much Smile

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 14 Nov 2015, 11:59 am

'has there ever been a boxer that brings such a cloud of "meh" to all but the most die - hard fans?'

Floyd till he signed for showtime?

Although, Ward vs Kovalev will be good for boxing. Agree with dipper, the skills and styles will make for a great fight.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 14 Nov 2015, 12:31 pm

I've never yet seen ward in a good fight. He's too good and his style is for the purist (well purists who like a bit of dark art head use) - and it doesn't generally lead to entertaining fights.

Hopefully this fight happens... and if it does, hopefully kovalev's willingness to press the fight will make for the great fight we hope for. Not an easy fight to call certainly.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 14 Nov 2015, 1:45 pm

Wards one of those fighters when he's gone who will really care, great talent but a pain in the A$$e.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 14 Nov 2015, 2:43 pm

Ward a guy that took on the best .....Takes nothing but crap...

GGG a guy that talks about................Gets lauded.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 14 Nov 2015, 3:02 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Ward a guy that took on the best .....Takes nothing but crap...

GGG a guy that talks about................Gets lauded.
Wards quality Truss, easily the best in the division, but he has everyone wondering when he will fight next rather than who he will fight next, over complicating he's career with boxing politics.

I fancy Ward to move up and win the Light heavy title, and hope he does, but more jabbing than jabbering please.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Nov 2015, 3:20 pm

[quote="milkyboy"]I've never yet seen ward in a good fight. He's too good and his style is for the purist (well purists who like a bit of dark art head use) - and it doesn't generally lead to entertaining fights.

Hopefully this fight happens... and if it does, hopefully kovalev's willingness to press the fight will make for the great fight we hope for. Not an easy fight to call certainly.[/quote]

Do you mean as in close fights? I enjoyed his fight with Froch, found it entertaining.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 14 Nov 2015, 5:41 pm

Ward was happy to fight the best when he had everything to gain and nothing to lose

As soon as he becomes the number one guy, he disappears.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 14 Nov 2015, 6:13 pm

sohotnot wrote:[quote="milkyboy"]I've never yet seen ward in a good fight. He's too good and his style is for the purist (well purists who like a bit of dark art head use) - and it doesn't generally lead to entertaining fights.

Hopefully this fight happens... and if it does, hopefully kovalev's willingness to press the fight will make for the great fight we hope for. Not an easy fight to call certainly.

Do you mean as in close fights? I enjoyed his fight with Froch, found it entertaining.[/quote]

Nah I meant exciting... The froch fight had a lot on it and British interest but didn't do much as a spectacle for me at least.

The Boone fight would have been exciting had I not watched it years after the event!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 14 Nov 2015, 6:29 pm

Ward seems to be one of those fighters who seems to believe mega star status and the fawning admiration of fans should be a foregone conclusion. He certainly has the talent to warrant such status but there is more to it than that. The kind of personality that makes Phil Neville appear charismatic does not help and then disappearing off the face of the earth for periods between fights that would make Haye ashamed only exacerbates the problem. Throw in coming back against the likes of Smith and a guy so bad even one of the governing bodies actually took action and you have a perfect storm of hard to warm to.

For all that, he does not have many miles on the clock, is still young and if his intention, which certainly seems to be the case, is to fight Kovalev there is still time for Ward to rebuild some bridges and, you never know, actually earn the status he seems to believe himself entitled to.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 14 Nov 2015, 6:30 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Ward was happy to  fight the best when he had everything to gain and nothing to lose

As soon as he becomes the number one guy, he disappears.

Well that's it then...better to just belt out stiffs for 5 years...Shame on him for beating the top 168ers..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 14 Nov 2015, 7:22 pm

In fairness to ward his career was on the right trajectory, he came out of the super 6 and fought Dawson at a catchweight. I would have preferred the full 175lbs but. He got handcuffed in contract disputes, and has become almost irrelevant since.

GGG hasn't really made any efforts to chase a fight, ward can't make 168, chasing kovalev is the right move. Another tune up is probably merited, smith was a punchbag.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down