TNA to PopTV - Some random ideas

Go down

TNA to PopTV - Some random ideas

Post by Prometheus on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:24 pm

So, for some it seems like yesterday's news was treated as the end of a bad horror movie, with the monster that just will not stay dead. For other's it is the 3rd coming. And for the rest of us, it is probably, call me when you have something that excites me about the product.

As I see it, TNA has the following main issues.

1) Remind everyone TNA exists
Adam and Talking Point both said they stopped watching TNA after BFG. I'm going to assume that to a degree they are representative of TNA viewers. I know that a number of podcasts also just stopped talking about TNA. It was assumed it was dead, but now it is not.

Whatever I think about JJ he seemed to work 24/7 on podcasts and interviews talking about GFW. Dixie (and others) have to climb onto this charm offensive too.

I'm not the best user of social media, so maybe this is all happening, but I think TNA should be loading up some of their classic matches to YouTube and releasing them on Tues at 9ET when the show will air on PopTV, prepare fans for that time and date before they even launch.

2) Hit the ground hard
One thing I find quite confusing in the press release was that it clearly talked about the PopTV live debut and then listed some of their roster, including Kurt Angle. Now, the last I heard, Kurt said that he was retiring at the end of 2015. Maybe his plans have changed, but if he's not in TNA when they go to PopTV, they've irritated me already with this false advertising. What I'd do, pay Angle for one more show. Go out, hire a relative unknown who you think can be a star... for example Marty Scurll. Have Angle vs Scurll in a contract match on the first show. You have for some fans the shock that Angle is gone and the promotion of a new heel.

3) Use the roster better
As an example, I've been watching Mark Andrews tear it up in PWG and Progress this year (I think maybe the Progress shows were prior to him going to TNA, but that's not my point). He is super talented. I saw a Tweeted update yesterday of TNA's current tournament and Mandrews doesn't have a win. Now, maybe his matches are still great, I don't know. But this guy is putting on 4* matches and killing it elsewhere when on that very superficial observation it seems that TNA has no confidence in him, when I think he's twice the wrestler of Tigre Uno.

X Division, The Knockouts, Tag teams, Hardcore wrestlers. TNA will say it has all the pieces that a wrestling promotion should have. And I can see that, but the sum of those parts just don't seem to add up somehow. It just feels like they spend 10 minutes thinking about each and move on, without really doing anything well. And if they are to compete with WWE (which like it or not they have to as they are a wrestling promotion on US TV and will be compared to the WWE product) you have to at least say "TNA does this better than WWE" and point to something. Right now, I can't.

4) Clean it up a bit
I don't really know how to explain this. It may even just be me. But, I watch TNA and it always feels a bit grungy, guys like Bram, Eric Young and Abyss have a certain look. Now, I don't mind my wrestling being a bit grimey. In fact some indies run perfectly like that, but if you are going to be a weekly show aimed at casual TV viewers, I think that a certain cleaner look would help promote the image of TNA.

5) Get some atmosphere
Japan aside, because their culture and fans are just a different beast, nothing gets me tuning out of wrestling quicker than a dead crowd. I actually prefer the smart crowds who applaud themselves than ones sat on their hands. I'm not a regular watcher of TNA, but I often felt like I was tuning into a product that the live crowd wasn't into, so why should I be. Those UK tapings should be great, but TNA need that level of product excitement for every week of the year.

6) If you are going to tape, control the news
Taped shows with spoilers immediately hit ratings. And spoilers are going to happen. But, here's the thing. I read spoilers for LU and they often work as promos. Now, I'm totally into that product, so I'm easily sold and I recognise that. But I see that wrestler X appeared, or y & z wrestled, etc and I'm salivating to watch the match in full. I see spoilers for TNA and it reads to me more like, okay I know what happened, no need to watch it.

I honestly don't know how you control that. Is it too brave to just take it right on up front? For example, put out a Vine after the taping of some big moves or get wrestler X to say "I just fought... and that was a hell of a match, you'll not want to miss".

7) Please please please don't be complacent
If TNA thinks they are going to a channel with more coverage and therefore more people will watch the show, just by finding it easier and they don't need to change anything because their product is great and everyone is working their hardest. I think that could be the worst thing that can happen to them.

8) Ad revenue
Rumours are that the money PopTV is giving to TNA is very low, and it may be TNA who are actually paying PopTV for a presence on their channel. But in either case, it appears that TNA's income will be related to ad revenue. This is a risky proposition for wrestling as it tends to be avoided by prime advertisers who don't see the wrestling fan demographic as one they want to market to. It also puts much more emphasis on getting viewers when the show is shown, rather than by DVR, a trend that is not looking like reversing.

I don't see how TNA can suddenly make wrestling advertiser friendly. I guess even me still calling them TNA would already be putting off some ad execs. But I think there might be a couple of things they could do:
- Make the show live, at least once a month. You might not see it from the DA figures, but live shows tend to get eyeballs when they are shown. I would very much expect that TNA's PPV revenue us negligible right now, so ditch those and build to a live TV show once a month.
- You know wrestling is always cutting to ads mid-match, trying to keep viewers from flicking channels. I wonder if it is possible for TNA to continue their programming while the ad is on via a small box in the corner. I know some advertisers aren't going to like losing screen space and so maybe this doesn't work at all, but I do think that wrestling is one of the few products that can stay on while the ads are running and therefore keep eyeballs on the show, whether watching live or on DVR. And don't forget, ad breaks in the US tend to be frequent and short, so it is not a huge amount of the match you have to get through without commentary, and in a small window.

I'm sure some of these miss the mark. I'm sure there are a million and one other ideas and at least 999,999 will be better than the ones I have. And I know we've all been here before with TNA and the same creative team. But even the harshest TNA critic I think will admit that at one time it was pretty good and if that pretty good could be recaptured it would be a welcome addition to wrestling.
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Re: TNA to PopTV - Some random ideas

Post by talkingpoint on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:58 am

I've followed TNA for a long time; perhaps the last 10 years or so, maybe longer. For a long time their roster was what got my attention and my money. At one time the X-Division was made up of the likes of AJ, Joe and Daniels. They had tag teams such as Beer Money, MCMG and Team 3D. Heck, even Bad Influence was a phenomenal tag team, even if shockingly underused and underrated by TNA creative. The Knock Out's division has always been historically strong too. TNA's main event scene has always been a bit shaky, first with JJ being front and centre then the Main Event Mafia, which was just a poor man's NWO and made up of several former members of the NWO to make comparisons worse. Angle was a genuine win for TNA as was Christian though they couldn't keep Christian unfortunately. But, generally speaking TNA's roster has been legit. Now it looks like a shadow of its former self. The roster is nowhere near as strong today as it was several years ago.

Then there are their PPVs. Even if BFG has never had the grandeur or the pomp and ceremony of WrestleMania, TNA were at one time always moving in the right direction. You could tell the company were trying to grow and were doing everything in their means to give BFG the kind of prestige and heritage they wanted it to have. Now, BFG has become just a glorified house show, TNA clearly sacrificing it on the same alter as all their other PPVs. BFG has become an after thought and totally irrelevant. This is perhaps one of the things that has angered and disillusioned me the most about TNA. Even if the BFG series was flawed, at least it lent significance to BFG itself. It put a spotlight on BFG. It made BFG feel like the biggest event in the TNA calendar. Now, I think the only reason TNA keep BFG is because if they were to shelve it completely, it would make them look even more little league than they're already becoming. It would do a massive amount of damage to their credibility as the second largest promotion in the US.

Finally, Dixie and Gaburick are not competent enough to successfully run a wrestling promotion on the level of the WWE. They are the root cause of the problem. No-one looking at the TNA roster over the years, or watching impact could point the finger at a lack of talent. It is Dixie's responsibility to grow her company and market her product and she has failed to make any progress in 13 years. In fact, TNA have regressed.

Look at what WWE have achieved in the same space of time. They've created a Network, they're created a third brand in NXT that has been consistently one of the best wrestling shows out there, they're killing it with their PPV buyrate for Mania, they've got some of the biggest celebrities and legitimate combat athletes on their roster (I'm thinking of the Rock and Lesnar). Now WWE is far from perfect. It has its faults. But, no-one can say WWE haven't been commercially successful.

For the longest time, I was a staunch supporter of TNA and a staunch advocate of the philosophy of not wanting to see a promotion die out. I still don't think TNA dying is what's best for wrestling. However, unless Dixie and co. can actually prove they're capable of making wise business decisions, signing and using to their potential the best talent available to them and booking a wrestling show that is going to compete with the likes of NXT, NJPW and LU for the title of best alternative brand, I just can't see TNA ever getting out of this rut and ever improving significantly again.

People may not always like Vince's micromanagement style over the product or HHH's path to the top, but I think they know what they're doing and have been doing it well for decades. By comparison Dixie is a rank amateur. They make her look foolish.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D on Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:09 am

Live debut tomorrow night in the states (I am guessing Sunday for us still).

Quite looking forward to it as there are some interesting rumours going around.

I expect at least 3 or 4 surprise debuts/ returns from the following:

Storm
Bennett
Maria
Goldberg
AJ Styles
Bad Influence
Norv Fernum
Dewey Barnes

Ideally, I would like to see AJ and Daniels return.

Most probably be Hernandez and Chavo

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero on Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:49 am

From what I can gather/speculate Storm, Daniels (with Kaz to follow once he's finished off his prior engagements), Bennett (& Maria) and Goldberg are being lined up.
My spidersenses tell me AJ is on his way finally to WWE (with others from the Bullet Club).

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky on Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:35 am

Goldberg would be a massive signing for TNA even in 2016. I just don't see it.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero on Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:10 am

I can see it as a very short term deal to gain them the exposure only.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo on Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:58 am

By all accounts Styles is signing for the WWE so dont expect to see him back in TNA

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:12 am

Again TP talking complete and utter...sense! Wink

TNA's problem has never been about the talent - they've had some of the best at their disposal over the years.

Whats kept dragging them down has been the creative side and evidently their business dealings too.

I do watch a fair bit of WWE stuff on YouTube and the one thing that nearly always hits you immediately, is that you are watching a big event. The production is lavish, the crowds are nearly always making plenty of noise and react to whoever is talking / fighting.

The latter, I am guessing, is down to the fact that WWE take care to build their talent into major, credible figures, whether heels or faces and that the matches are put together logically, over a period of time to create stories the fans can buy into.

I would go as far as to say TNA could even get by without using huge arenas and elaborate production, if only they hired a team of decent story writers...people who know a bit about creating believeable characters and placing them into plausible storylines.

It seems like ever since I started watching (back around 2009) they have, with a few exceptions, relied purely on their roster's reputation and talent. While that can allow you to put on a good wrestling exhibition, without any context, it doesn't make for a good wrestling show.

IMO until they correct this situation, they will struggle to become more than they currently are.
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:49 am

#norvfortnachamp2016

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:48 pm

ncfc_Tooze wrote:#norvfortnachamp2016