The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murrays strange on-court behaviour

+15
Tennisfan
socal1976
Jahu
temporary21
Henman Bill
hawkeye
paulcz
YvonneT
Calder106
laverfan
sirfredperry
CAS
Josiah Maiestas
HM Murdock
bogbrush
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Murrays strange on-court behaviour - Page 2 Empty Murrays strange on-court behaviour

Post by bogbrush Sun 22 Nov 2015, 6:35 am

First topic message reminder :

I really don't understand what Andy Murray is up to on court. As the article in today's Telegraph makes clear, Murray directs serious abuse towards his support, but he's going this because he is underperforming.

I'd get it if he directed the abuse to himself, or if he looked to them apologetically, or for support... but directing abuse towards someone because you yourself are not doing your job is very odd.

Interesting that Lendl made it clear from the start that it wouldn't happen, and he complied. As I've thought many times, Murray has suffered by not having a good father at home. A boy needs a strong father to teach him how to behave as a man.

By Simon Briggs
The strange case of Andy Murray’s empty player’s box grew more intri­guing yesterday, after it emerged that a conversation had been held before the US Open, in which his coaches and backroom staff objected to the amount of abuse directed at them during matches.
On Friday night, a band of nine Murray followers – who included coach Jonas Bjorkman, fitness trainer Matt Little, wife Kim and Davis Cup captain Leon Smith – were spotted sitting in the high balcony above the court rather than in the usual seats almost within touching distance of the players.
After the match, Murray said: “I just felt like sometimes when the box is extremely close to the court, I sometimes can find that a distraction. So I thought it would be better to have them sit a bit further away from the court.”
Yet the feeling may have been ­mutual, after Murray had unleashed a number of angry diatribes during the straight-sets defeat by Rafael ­Nadal on Wednesday. Against Stan Wawrinka on Friday, his behaviour ­remained more controlled for most of the evening. But when things began to get away from him in the second set, he could be seen ranting in the direction of his old friend Ross Hutchins, who now works for the Association of Tennis Professionals, and has his own space at courtside.
If the two seasons that Murray spent working with Ivan Lendl represent the high-water mark of his career, it is worth noting that Lendl laid down a marker at the very start, saying that he would not sit there and take any backchat from his charge.
In the words of sports psychologist Don Macpherson: “When Murray looks up at his team and his monkey mind is just about to shout abuse, he suddenly sees the brooding, unsmiling Lendl, and the monkey backs down every time … out of respect.”
The more genial figure of Bjorkman, who has coached Murray through the second half of 2015, does not quite convey the same presence.
On one occasion in early August, as Murray lost in the Citi Open’s first round, he could be heard ­yelling: “If you don’t know which way he’s going to serve, don’t bluff it.”
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Murrays strange on-court behaviour - Page 2 Empty Re: Murrays strange on-court behaviour

Post by Born Slippy Mon 23 Nov 2015, 4:37 pm

Murray has never topped the 2nd serve points won stat for a year, hilarious though that would be if true.

The cause of his weak second serve has been the subject of much debate on here. My personal view is that it is very much down to his attitude. He doesn't believe it is a weakness and therefore hasn't put any focus on improving it. That said, I think he has been working on it this year. Its a much better serve than it was in say 2012-13. He's added more speed and variety and its generally looked far less weak.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Murrays strange on-court behaviour - Page 2 Empty Re: Murrays strange on-court behaviour

Post by Born Slippy Mon 23 Nov 2015, 4:47 pm

HE - do you play tennis? As someone who does, I can assure you that someone throwing a fit down the other end of the court is highly unlikely to put anyone off. It is so commonplace at every level that by the time you get to the tour you will be immune to it. Gamesmanship such as taking longer between points is much more likely to cause problems as it is a consistent disruption of rhythm.

As for fans, I suspect those offended by Murray in this day and age are few and far between. Far more likely that someone with a bit of edge will draw fans to watch - see the popularity of the likes of McEnroe and Kyrgios as good examples.

I don't know if it hinders him. I suspect not. Sometimes he is playing badly and continues playing badly. Sometimes he improves. Some of his worst displays have been when he has been totally flat. I also don't recall him being much better with Lemdl there - that seems to be a myth which has become popular subsequently. If anything, he seems to be better when Mauresmo is present.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 23 Nov 2015, 5:01 pm

^ Yes I do. I don't know where you play but can't even imagine playing against someone behaving like Andy Murray Erm unless perhaps they were four years old Laugh

But of course it would be distracting! Some people do like watching that sort of stuff I suppose but most tennis fans prefer to watch good play rather than hissy fits. Murray would be clearing up in sponsorship deals as he is British if he wasn't so unattractive to many viewers.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 23 Nov 2015, 5:19 pm

One word. Scottish. They're a passionate bunch up north and they're not afraid to let out frustrations when not playing to spec, it's why they're famous for being soo gritty. They don't worry about little things like offending people he. They just give it all

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 23 Nov 2015, 5:32 pm

^ Jamie doesn't do such things.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 23 Nov 2015, 5:47 pm

hawkeye wrote:
What an odd life it is to be surrounded by an entourage who allow you to scream abuse at them in public for their own failings and adoring fans who think it's an acceptable way for a grown man to behave. 

At this age, too late, I guess it's just bring the bacon & money home, mommy can take a few screams and abuse from little rich son, soon to be a dad Laugh
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 23 Nov 2015, 5:49 pm

temporary21 wrote:One word.  Scottish. 

That's racism from you. Remember when you banned me for supposedly my racist & fruit comment? Laugh

David Coulthard was dead cool,  and very patient Smile
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 23 Nov 2015, 6:53 pm

Yours was derogatory and it was the second time... And it wasn't funny etc. Jamie doesnt have the success or the perfectionism. A lot of the really good guys in fields were known to get angry out of expectation. If you don't like it that's fair game, dont watch him and then complain you don't like it

You clearly do like him because you've been talking about him for years. You'll have to take him as he is

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 23 Nov 2015, 7:08 pm

tempo, come on, admit you did not even understand my remark and you overreacted Laugh

It's not that I cant watch Andy behave like that, its just sad to see him waste so much energy like that and at that age.

I'd rather he behaved like at Lendle time, more confident and more focused, then like this.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 23 Nov 2015, 7:09 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I don't get threads like these.

Any true tennis fan who has watched Murray since his formative years have seen the mental flaws where his mind wanders and he berates himself and loses an edge in the psychological warfare that goes on in tennis matches. I have said it many times that he loses many key matches in the mind as belief evaporates and in turn erodes the confidence. Of course we all know about the legendary second serve (or lack of it) but is that anything to do with technique or more to do with the entrained mindset of him?

If Andy keeps his emotions and mental lapses in check he can compete with the very best but more often than not he falls off the mental Cliff and that always proves fatal against the legends of the sport such as Federer, Djokovic and Nadal.

On another note this year emphasises why I tend not to put overly much stock in the rankings. This is the first time Andy will end a year No.2 yet I recall far better years for him. I think of our debates on here and look at the Hewitt/Murray comparisons. Look at their careers and Murray has achieved much more in terms of longevity in big title wins and had better years (consistentlt) than Hewitt yet Hewitt has monstrously more years at number one. That tells me ranking means naff all or Hewitt plied his trade in an age with far less consistent competitors.

Most like the latter, as is obvious by any look at the players of that period and the players of the last few years it is clear who has had the toughest competition. Quite obviously it has been Murray. You take Murray's best years and they are about what Hewitt's best years are but Murray finishes 2 or 3 with those years while Hewitt finishes number one and doesn't have peak Roger, Rafa, or Novak to deal with. Interesting you make this observation because whenever I make this observation people tend to come up with arguments about how you can't compare two sets of players separated by 5-7 years and how not only was that period not weak but it was strong and it is the last few years if anything that has been weak. I am sure we both know that the subtext to those arguments is all about glossing over the fact that Fed's contemporaries were soft touches relatively speaking.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 23 Nov 2015, 7:24 pm

Jahu wrote:tempo, come on, admit you did not even understand my remark and you overreacted Laugh

It's not that I cant watch Andy behave like that, its just sad to see him waste so much energy like that and at that age.

I'd rather he behaved like at Lendle time, more confident and more focused, then like this.
I don't understand? I didn't ban you for that comment...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 23 Nov 2015, 8:08 pm

My observations on Hewitt socal comes because so many put his years at No.1 as an achievement that places him above Murray and for me that is grossly an unfair measurement. Point being if Murray had a time machine and took his form of now back to Hewitt's time at No.1 I have no doubt Andy would have had even longer at No.1 but as we all know life doesn't work like that. However, I am confidently saying that Andy is above Hewitt now as far as in all-time standings go.

Same slam wins.
Much more slam finals.
Much more slam semis.
Longer run of consecutive slam semis/qf's.
More Masters titles won.
More titles won.
Better win to loss ratio.

I rest my case.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 23 Nov 2015, 10:59 pm

Craig, of course Murray is far superior to Hewitt as reflected by those accomplishments you listed in addition to doing it with Novak and Nadal just one year older than him.

My point here there is that it is interesting that we see people now complaining about Novak's lack of competition and how Novak had superior competition in 2011 and therefore 2011 is more impressive. Well it is interesting that we see how when it comes to analyzing Novak in 2015 v. 2011 the differences of competition level elevate or deflate one year or another due to perceived level of competition. Just as here you are in away inflating Murray's standing to an extent (and I think rightly so) because of the players he had to compete against. While this standard of pumping up or down a player's accomplishments very much is based to an extent on the perceived strength of competition. Apparently, many people do believe that competition level can impact how objective accomplishments are valued. But they will not draw that distinction ever for Federer's competition in 03-07, and if someone does use the same thinking to analyze Federer all of sudden they start complaining about how there can be no weak eras or competition level can't be gaged in anyway therefore is irrelevant.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 23 Nov 2015, 11:51 pm

Yeah but this one rule for one player and a different one for somebody else is something we already knew was gonna happen. Check any literally any yt highlights comments. That's because thinking in black and white isn't logical

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 23 Nov 2015, 11:53 pm

The same reason Feds time looked a dare I say it weak era is because it's a zero sum. You can't have a dominant player who still looks like he's against tough guys because there's nothing to win. Same spplies here, the tour is tough they just don't look it

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 24 Nov 2015, 12:00 am

Don't get me wrong socal I agree with your view point. If Novak continues this stellar vein of form over the next three years he will surpass everyone's achievements and become the new GOAT.

I think the current talk of no competition or boring stuff is mainly from those whose favourite players are not being allowed to dominate like they once did.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 24 Nov 2015, 5:48 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Don't get me wrong socal I agree with your view point. If Novak continues this stellar vein of form over the next three years he will surpass everyone's achievements and become the new GOAT.

I think the current talk of no competition or boring stuff is mainly from those whose favourite players are not being allowed to dominate like they once did.

I totally disagree with your last comment CC .. what  a cynical viewpoint . My complaint about todays players, is their willingness in allowing him to dictate a match  ( including if you will RAFA, and Andy) that they are not making any attempt to make changes to their own game,  Its not their tennis that is wrong, its their tactics.  Ive already illustrated what Arthur Ashe did against Connors. It took a lot of courage to do that.  Soderling found Rafa's weakness and exploited it and others followed suit, including Novak who made the necessary changes to HIS game. What I find boring is that players play the same old same old with the same result every time. Yes Rafa Im talking to you !!!!
Novak is unbeatable for the time being.. however I refuse to believe he will be so for another three years.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 24 Nov 2015, 6:01 am

All of the players are trying their best Haddie but against Novak it simply isn't good enough. With Andy that is a common situation for him to be in throughout his career wherein there invariably has been either Roger or Rafa or Novak just too good for him. Similarly, that is what Roger and Rafa are finding out just now with Novak but it isn't for want of trying.

I am sorry but I don't buy into a school of thought that says now (Novak domination) is any less boring than when Rafa or Roger was dominating (as they both have done in the past). For fans of other players then sure (to them) this period with Novak will bore the pants off them but I put that more down to because it is not their man winning everything. Is that cynical? Perhaps. Is it accurate? I say so.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 24 Nov 2015, 6:13 am

Im sorry CC you still seem to miss my point. Novak isn't boring anymore than Roger or Rafa were. I too don't buy into the argument that other players are doing their best. I do not think Novak's tennis is any better than the other top players.. His tactics is application and mindset is what is better.He intimidates his opposition as soon as he walks on court. And they allow him to
Im bored with the fact that there are no otherplayers coming through to make the challenge. It isn't all about Rafa  for me if that is what you are insinuating.. I thought he was finished a few months back.
I do not see him at the top of the heap again. So your criticism does not apply to me Im afraid !!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 24 Nov 2015, 6:51 am

For some reason you seem to think my post is directed at you - it isn't it is aimed at everyone whinging about Novak domination being boring - any more boring than Rafa, Roger or Pete domination. Domination will bore people who want other players to win but to me that doesn't make it any more boring than when those mentioned players dominated.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 24 Nov 2015, 6:57 am

THIS  was my point

Im bored with the fact that there are no other players coming through to make the challenge

But OK CC.. If I had a white flag I would waive it Rolling Eyes

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 24 Nov 2015, 7:07 am

I understand that Haddie but is that not the way it has been since Rafa, Novak and Andy broke through? So it isn't any different to earlier periods of domination in the last decade say.

Believe you me Haddie as a Murray fan I have lived through Federer domination, Nadal domination and now Djokovic domination and this current spell is no more or less boring than those. Domination as a rule bores regardless of whoever sits on the throne as far as I am concerned.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 24 Nov 2015, 7:18 am

I agree 100% CC truly. I can understand but I am not speaking as a Rafa fan I am speaking as a TENNIS fan.. we need fresh blood we need something to change. Has the domination by all of these players killed the hopes and dreams of the young players coming through. The players that we have been privileged to watch over this last decade seemed to have deterred , rather than spurred on the younger players. Are we ever going to see another Andy, Rafa Roger or Novak..that is why Im bored Craig.Novak's domination in itself is not the problem for me.. nothing lasts forever.. but what is coming behind??? I want to see something new and look forward to the next generation of great players

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 24 Nov 2015, 8:04 am

Yes I hear you Haddie and I am sure the majority including me agrees that we need young blood coming through.

Is it a lack of quality coming through though or a lack of player with the ability to crack an era containing legends like Novak, Rafa and Roger? If they were not around then the younger generation may have looked like modern day greats and winning slams.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 24 Nov 2015, 8:15 am

Im not sure CC what it is. But knowing the dedication that the top players have shown in their careers .. the commitment and the willingness to work on their games. Their physical fitness and the 100% they are always prepared to give their game and their fans. Im not sure that the young guns Ive seen of late show much of that.
It is true that seeing what has gone before them must be daunting.
Its a hard era to follow that's for sure .Our expectations, probably mine in particular, maybe to high but in the meantime the old uns will keep winning the trophies . But I can hope that there is another up and coming
"kid" on the block who may well be the GOAT of the future out there somwhere

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 24 Nov 2015, 8:43 am

As this thread is about Murray's on court behavior and it has now changed to the lack of young players coming through. Wondering what effect Murray's behavior has on young people watching? He certainly doesn't make tennis look like a fun activity and those that want to emulate his histrionics could do this without spending hours on a tennis court drilling forehands and backhands.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Tue 24 Nov 2015, 9:20 am

Don't think that at the level these players are at Tennis is a fun activity. You don't get to that level without a lot of pain and hard work. If someone having a rant because they are not reaching the high standards they have set themselves stops young people playing then I don't think there is much hope for them anyway.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 24 Nov 2015, 10:12 am

Calder106 wrote:Don't think that at the level these players are at Tennis is a fun activity. You don't get to that level without a lot of pain and hard work. If someone having a rant because they are not reaching the high standards they have set themselves stops young people playing then I don't think there is much hope for them anyway.

Nail on the head. thumbsup
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Nov 2015, 12:46 pm

There is plenty of young talent out there.  In the past they would have come through a lot quicker but nowadays they get stuck around the 10 - 50 ranking, because nowadays talent alone won't get you through a tournament nor too many long five setters.

Nowadays you have to have extreme physical conditioning of the body and extreme concentration in addition to the talent.  Tennis has become ultra-professional with nearly every facet of the game, physical conditioning, and mental focusing honed in and matured.

It has developed, in some respects, into a "team sport", where the brilliant individual cannot compete in long tournaments against team Federer, team Djokovic, team Nadal, team Murray, team Ferrer, team Berdych etc.  So it takes a lot longer to develop the "team infrastructure" to surround the talent and develop it into the modern professional tennis player.

That this has been allowed to develop is not only due to the fact there is more money in the sport for the very top players (who therefore can build a better team infrastructure and then reap the rewards of that), not only due to the increased development of sports science and its outputs, but also due to changes in the game that have brought in racket technology for better control of the ball and changes to the tennis surface that have partly slowed the game down AND brought in a level of predictability in how the surface behaves.

ps this is consistent with Calder106s comment but expands into the detail.

Last edited by Nore Staat on Tue 24 Nov 2015, 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling errors and notified of having left out team Nadal)

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 24 Nov 2015, 1:00 pm

Im sure there must be a reason why you left out team Nadal.. unless he is the etc....but I wont bother to ask Whistle

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 24 Nov 2015, 1:09 pm

So just so we're all clear... that last line... On court coaching?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 24 Nov 2015, 1:11 pm

hawkeye wrote:^ Yes I do. I don't know where you play but can't even imagine playing against someone behaving like Andy Murray Erm unless perhaps they were four years old Laugh

But of course it would be distracting! Some people do like watching that sort of stuff I suppose but most tennis fans prefer to watch good play rather than hissy fits. Murray would be clearing up in sponsorship deals as he is British if he wasn't so unattractive to many viewers.

Lol - you've clearly never played tournaments. Hissy fits like that are common-place at all levels - particularly in juniors. It isn't distracting or, if it is, those who can't handle it would have been weeded out long before they got to the pro ranks.

As for viewers, I strongly suspect its the people bothered by that sort of stuff who are in the minority. It may be a sad reflection on society but the percentage of people under 50 who find a bit of swearing offensive is relatively low. Murray seems to be absolutely fine for sponsorship and be, generally, very popular with the British public (and those who don't like him often have reasons unrelated to his personality).

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 24 Nov 2015, 1:15 pm

Nore Staat wrote:There is plenty of young talent out there.  In the past they would have come through a lot quicker but nowadays they get stuck around the 10 - 50 ranking, because nowadays talent alone won't get you through a tournament nor too many long five setters.

Nowadays you have to have extreme physical conditioning of the body and extreme concentration in addition to the talent.  Tennis has become ultra-professional with nearly every facet of the game, physical conditioning, and mental focusing honed in and matured.

It has developed, in some respects, into a "team sport", where the brilliant individual cannot compete in long tournaments against team Federer, team Djokovic, team Nadal, team Murray, team Ferrer, team Berdych etc.  So it takes a lot longer to develop the "team infrastructure" to surround the talent and develop it into the modern professional tennis player.

That this has been allowed to develop is not only due to the fact there is more money in the sport for the very top players (who therefore can build a better team infrastructure and then reap the rewards of that), not only due to the increased development of sports science and its outputs, but also due to changes in the game that have brought in racket technology for better control of the ball and changes to the tennis surface that have partly slowed the game down AND brought in a level of predictability in how the surface behaves.

ps this is consistent with Calder106s comment but expands into the detail.

I don't agree with this. If it was the case we would be seeing the brilliant youngsters being cut down for fitness (Murray in Wim 05 springs to mind) but that isn't the case. Generally, they just aren't yet good enough tennis players to compete with the elite. Kyrgios (who is brilliant) has regularly cut through slam draws to the QF - I have seen no sign of a physical reason why he couldn't go further - his problems are obviously mental. Yes, you have to be fit to play tennis but the extent is being greatly over-played.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Nov 2015, 1:26 pm

Hi BS - I mentioned three basic components not one - but I inferred more than three: development of skills sets, development of appropriate musculature, development of physical conditioning, development of mental concentration, development of ball control and so.  You just picked on physical condition and somehow thought I didn't include the mental aspect - that was not true.  As I said it is now a team sport with every facet being dealt with.  Kyrgios hasn't developed the mental side of the game as well as many other things.  If a Kyrgios type player had have appeared twenty years ago then he would have been one of those young players breaking through to slam finals and titles.  In the modern professional age this only takes him to the quarter finals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 24 Nov 2015, 2:54 pm

In the mid 90s Chang seemed to turn up to Wimbledon several times as the no 2 seed and then struggle to win more than about 2 matches.

At that time he was winning nothing, no slams, no Miami, no world tour finals.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2