The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia vs New Zealand, 3rd Test: the first day/night test

+6
Pal Joey
kingraf
msp83
LondonTiger
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
10 posters

Go down

Australia vs New Zealand, 3rd Test: the first day/night test   Empty Australia vs New Zealand, 3rd Test: the first day/night test

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 26 Nov 2015, 11:36 pm

In honour of the legendary Sir Fred Perry this is an attempt to set up a separate thread for this historic test match. Let the comments roll.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Australia vs New Zealand, 3rd Test: the first day/night test   Empty Re: Australia vs New Zealand, 3rd Test: the first day/night test

Post by guildfordbat Fri 27 Nov 2015, 8:22 am

Corporal - I do trust your words about honouring Sir Fred are to do with his thread that never caught on. When I first read your post, I feared our legendary poster had passed away.

Anyway, just had a quick peek at the score. Australia seem in a good position having New Zealand 173/7, three wickets for Starc and a couple for my man Lyon. However, what really caught my eye was that it was the Dinner Time score!!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Australia vs New Zealand, 3rd Test: the first day/night test   Empty Re: Australia vs New Zealand, 3rd Test: the first day/night test

Post by LondonTiger Fri 27 Nov 2015, 8:49 am

Yup they had a 20 minute tea break at the end of session 1, then a 40 minute dinner break after session 2. Probably more about maximising food stall revenues with fans than the players though.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 27 Nov 2015, 10:43 am

guildfordbat wrote:Corporal - I do trust your words about honouring Sir Fred are to do with his thread that never caught on. When I first read your post, I feared our legendary poster had passed away.

Anyway, just had a quick peek at the score. Australia seem in a good position having New Zealand 173/7, three wickets for Starc and a couple for my man Lyon. However, what really caught my eye was that it was the Dinner Time score!!

Guildford - I have every confidence that Sir Fred is still dinking his drop shots as well as ever.... Wink  I'm with you on Lyon. I think he's getting more recognition now, but for a long time the attitude seemed to be "Oh good, Lyon's coming on to bowl."  He keeps on picking up the wickets....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 27 Nov 2015, 10:49 am

LondonTiger wrote:Yup they had a 20 minute tea break at the end of session 1, then a 40 minute dinner break after session 2. Probably more about maximising food stall revenues with fans than the players though.

I'm wondering whether the light may also play a factor - a 40 minutes break at twilight to allow a bit more time to cover the transition between day and night.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 27 Nov 2015, 12:59 pm

Though it was very much dusk when they restarted.

Conditions overall seemed to favour the bowlers, butr we shall see.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 27 Nov 2015, 2:26 pm

A fine pitch and good bowling conditions, and the good utilization of the same by the 2 lineups meant the first day of the first day/night test was a success. After the borfests, we've had a 12 wicket day and there was everything, seam, swing in the evening and some help for Lyon's offspin. The batsmen had to earn their money this time around. Hope for more of the same for the rest of the game.
And the evening change of conditions, I liked it, adds a new dimension to the testing aspect of Test cricket. And there were a lot of people watching the game....... They do come and watch their tests in Australia, even then, this was impressive in the final session.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 27 Nov 2015, 2:45 pm

47000 for a day's Test cricket is pretty good, but Adelaide got 30 000 through the turnstiles last summer on one of the days in the Test vs India, so its a cricketing city
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 27 Nov 2015, 10:10 pm

I quite enjoyed the historic first day-night Test too.

I already feel used to the shift in sessions and it works very well here. The 2:30 pm start here is not so different to a Perth (day) match for us easterners. There was a real buzz about the place leading up to the night session. I'm already very impressed with the pink ball too.
It's so easy to see.

Whilst it is being talked up as a great success after the first day, it will be interesting to see how things turn out on those days when there are late afternoon storms, iffy natural light augmented by floodlights, a wet outfield and therefore more juice in the wicket after a relatively hot daytime first session.

I can imagine there will be instances where; after that extra piece of pudding at dinner, a less fit batsman's body clock might already be thinking it's time for getting ready for sleep... and the reaction times might accordingly drop off slightly. Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 28 Nov 2015, 9:21 am

This Test seems very unlikely to go the full distance of 5 days (I would even be twitchy now if I had tickets for day 4) but it's pretty well poised and proving to be an attractive advertising opener for day / nighters.

Into the latter part of day 2 - NZ currently 50/2 and leading by 28 following their first innings score of 202 and Australia's of 224.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 28 Nov 2015, 10:17 am

Day 4 now looking very unlikely

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 28 Nov 2015, 10:28 am

New Zealand 100 - 5 with six overs to go. Match still moving on apace.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 28 Nov 2015, 10:51 am

Didn't see Australia's innings today but notice that Peter Nevill was their top scorer. I've been looking out for his performances*.

Less demonstrative and noticeable than some of Australia's past glovemen such as Haddin, Gilchrist and further back Marsh. However, a very tidy and reliable keeper. If he can continue to make some decent scores, I reckon he'll be a valuable fixture in Australia's Test side for some years.

*He's engaged to an English girl, originally from just round the corner to me.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 28 Nov 2015, 10:54 am

a 3 days result likely....NZ should be kicking themselves that they didn't make the absence of Starc count.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 28 Nov 2015, 7:58 pm

Nigal Long, with an incredibly stupid decision, ruined the 2nd day somewhat, and helped start another round of discussions on DRS, otherwise another action packed day of test cricket.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 28 Nov 2015, 9:29 pm

yeah msp that decision sucked....some rationalist brigade will come and tell you ( purely on self assumptions) " But DRS was designed to eliminate howlers"
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Nov 2015, 3:54 am

How incompetent can a 'supposed' expert cricket umpire be? The level of incompetence displayed by Nigel Llong is just way too much to be explained. Nigel Llong is either bent or was just gagging to stick his tongue up Australia's butt hole. It was so blatantly the wrong call for it to be anything else. What a c0ck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 29 Nov 2015, 10:30 am

Yes, it was not right at all.
The "no clear evidence" remarks were simply baffling when there was a clear deflection and a hotspot on Lyon's bat.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Nov 2015, 11:35 am

That was a great test LD, really enjoyed it and Australia just too good (again). Excuse my crassness above :/ Played in good spirit and there was tension knowing wickets could fall. Big success I reckon.

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:25 pm

DRS.....screws 'em furious
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 Mon 30 Nov 2015, 4:05 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Corporal - I do trust your words about honouring Sir Fred are to do with his thread that never caught on. When I first read your post, I feared our legendary poster had passed away.

I was bit busy to watch the game but as soon as I opened cricinfo the first thing that amazed me was the dinner time. This change is quite a memory in my mind, and I hope I will remember this test match forever, just for this incident.
subhranshu.kumar.5
subhranshu.kumar.5

Back to top Go down

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 Mon 30 Nov 2015, 4:11 pm

I remember Banglore Test match in 2007 when India was taking Pakistan. India needed 3 wickets with an hour of play left and bad light interrupted. I was anxiously Switching on my TV set every 10 minutes to get the status. And till the very last moment my excitement and anger for Sun was tremendous.

Quoting the above I just want to say that this excitement of waiting for Sun to come out or more like bad light will now be an over chapter I suppose by now.

Every change is inevitable but something we will miss as we move forward.
subhranshu.kumar.5
subhranshu.kumar.5

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 01 Dec 2015, 8:24 am

ICC admits, DRS screwed them Very Happy
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-new-zealand-2015-16/content/story/946077.html
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 01 Dec 2015, 8:58 am

KP_fan wrote:ICC admits, DRS screwed them  Very Happy
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-new-zealand-2015-16/content/story/946077.html

Why are you so pleased with that? - its a mistake, they do happen whatever system is in place. Hopefully the learnings have been taken and it won't happen again

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 01 Dec 2015, 9:08 am

"The ICC has admitted that third umpire Nigel Llong made "an incorrect judgement""

Um....

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 01 Dec 2015, 9:18 am

Duty281 wrote:

"The ICC has admitted that third umpire Nigel Llong made "an incorrect judgement""

Um....

Duty - yes but he did ''follow the correct protocol''!!! Rolling Eyes

Some people just don't know when to keep quiet.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 01 Dec 2015, 9:49 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Um....

Duty - yes but he did ''follow the correct protocol''!!! Rolling Eyes

Some people just don't know when to keep quiet.

Yes, he did Guildford but the process was agonisingly slow and embarrassing. It lasted nearly 5 minutes! Then he got it wrong.

The DRS system is pretty good and is getting better each year. It's just that interpretation differs between umpires when presented with empirical evidence. In this case, it was quite clear (even Blind Freddy would have seen the hotspot mark) but Llong somehow 'saw' otherwise. That's the baffling and frustrating bit which fuels the fire of those opposed to DRS.

Good to see Coulter-Nile in for the ginger-footed Starc for the 1st one against the West Indies in Hobart. That was both painful and comical to watch him hobbling between the stumps with Siddle. Some nice clean hitting in the previous innings. His footwork was a bit unorthodox though. Ouch!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 01 Dec 2015, 9:57 am

VTR wrote:

Why are you so pleased with that? - its a mistake, they do happen whatever system is in place. Hopefully the learnings have been taken and it won't happen again

Pleased?
Not really
Its more a "I told you" moment.....if you don't fix it, it can fatally turn around the course of matches like it did here...and ICC had to come out an issue an apology.....

and it's also I knew it moment.....bluffing, bu.ll.shi.tt.ing and word-smitthing the situation... will start from those quarters who unduly feel pressured to respond in defense.....

"Ohh...but it's not a technology problem!" .....yeah rocket-technology malfunction or  technology too complicated for the pilot or pilot incompetent to use the technology.....all means the same for the passenger...fatal air crash.....same here...DRS crash with fatal consequences  laughing

"Ohh all the protocols were followed"......like the old joke surgeon comes out of OT and says..." sir the operation was successful but the patient died"  laughing
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 01 Dec 2015, 10:04 am

Fair enough, and I agree with what you are saying. They really need to look at making sure interpretation is consistent, and that decisions are reached far more quickly

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down