Italy to host 2022 Ryder Cup

Go down

Italy to host 2022 Ryder Cup Empty Italy to host 2022 Ryder Cup

Post by LadyPutt on Mon 14 Dec 2015, 10:54 am

Italy - more accurately the Marco Simone Golf and Country Club, 17km from the centre of Rome - will host the 2022 Ryder Cup, beating off competition from Austria, Germany and Spain. Seems a bit odd to me - I'd have given odds-on Germany. Anyone else any thoughts?

More here: http://www.rydercup.com/europe/news/italy-host-2022-ryder-cup
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Italy to host 2022 Ryder Cup Empty Re: Italy to host 2022 Ryder Cup

Post by beninho on Mon 14 Dec 2015, 10:56 am

Its only right it should be played around Europe. But you would assume that the crowds will be different, and less partisan, than they are in the UK.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong on Mon 14 Dec 2015, 11:09 am

I think these things had the influence.

The objective of the process was to enable Ryder Cup Europe to arrive at the correct sporting and commercial decision in terms of the host for 2022.

(iv) Commercial opportunities available to The Ryder Cup
Plus their commitment to raising the status of the Italian Open, with a long term commitment.

Constantino Rocca for captain anyone? Or one of the Molinaris?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 14 Dec 2015, 11:18 am

What were the crowds like at Valderamma? I imagine it was pretty partisan.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones on Mon 14 Dec 2015, 11:24 am

It was, but less tribal.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 14 Dec 2015, 11:26 am

Perhaps the Ryder Cup has reached a different level in regards to fans now, on another note, would imagine zero of any American team will have ever played in Italy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Mon 14 Dec 2015, 11:52 am

This makes sense. I think it's the commitment to sponsor the Italian Open for 11 years which swings it their way.

The biggest golf market in Europe is going to have to wait a long time to see the Ryder Cup. I wonder if they'll ever host it in England again?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 14 Dec 2015, 12:56 pm

Of course they will. I'd imagine the 2026 match will be in England.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 14 Dec 2015, 1:12 pm

Strange to send it to Rome when most top Italian golfers so far have all come from the North. Don't get that at all. But probably one of the easier RC tickets to snap up for a long time.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Mon 14 Dec 2015, 1:30 pm

raycastleunited wrote:This makes sense. I think it's the commitment to sponsor the Italian Open for 11 years which swings it their way.

The biggest golf market in Europe is going to have to wait a long time to see the Ryder Cup. I wonder if they'll ever host it in England again?
It's not like Italy is that far to go if one wanted to watch it is it? 3 days in Rome during early Autumn maybe, with golf thrown in? What's not to like (apart from the pickpockets etc that is)?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Mon 14 Dec 2015, 1:40 pm

Before anyone comments on whether Rome has done anything to deserve hosting the Ryder Cup it's worth watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc7HmhrgTuQ

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Mon 14 Dec 2015, 2:19 pm

Shouldn't Europe be hosting the Ryder cup in its heartland? The weather in the middle east will be far better in October and the players will already be heading to the part of the globe. It is somewhat a kick in the teeth for the core European tour locations to miss out on the Ryder cup again.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock on Mon 14 Dec 2015, 7:12 pm

That's a significant financial commitment from (I guess) the Italian golf federation. Good luck and I look forward to seeing this course in play!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Mon 14 Dec 2015, 8:43 pm

Highly surprising choise, but interesting nevertheless. Weather will be fabulous at that time, although not favoring the Europeans.
Rome and its surroundings are fantastic and it would make a great long weekend trip for anyone with just one of the following interests: food, wine, nature, culture, history, and eeeh, golf... So just bring your partner and drop him/her in the city while you go and watch golf!! Very Happy

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Mon 14 Dec 2015, 8:57 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Before anyone comments on whether Rome has done anything to deserve hosting the Ryder Cup it's worth watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc7HmhrgTuQ
Is it John Cleese or Keegan Bradley?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Mon 14 Dec 2015, 9:00 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:I think these things had the influence.

The objective of the process was to enable Ryder Cup Europe to arrive at the correct sporting and commercial decision in terms of the host for 2022.

(iv) Commercial opportunities available to The Ryder Cup
Plus their commitment to raising the status of the Italian Open, with a long term commitment.
I think it was even simpler than that: "We'll make you an offer you can't refuse..." elvis

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Tue 15 Dec 2015, 4:12 pm

Am actually pretty surprised Qatar didn't win the bid

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 15 Dec 2015, 4:19 pm

As I said above, in all seriousness doesn't the middle east put enough money into the European tour to expect to host its premier event at some point?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue 15 Dec 2015, 4:28 pm

McLaren wrote:As I said above, in all seriousness doesn't the middle east put enough money into the European tour to expect to host its premier event at some point?
Actually not a bad point. Seriously hope it doesn't happen though.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock on Tue 15 Dec 2015, 6:23 pm

Mac - That's an excellent point.

Navy - Why would you hope it does not happen? (Not trying to inflame here ... honestly curious.)

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Tue 15 Dec 2015, 8:42 pm

Shotrock wrote:Mac - That's an excellent point.

Navy - Why would you hope it does not happen? (Not trying to inflame here ... honestly curious.)

The Qatar Open is played in front of a dozen spectators, mainly expats and a few curious and bemused locals. The British Masters at Woburn this year drew 60,000 fans. Which venue is likely to have a better atmosphere for the Ryder Cup?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 6:40 am

raycastleunited wrote:
Shotrock wrote:Mac - That's an excellent point.

The Qatar Open is played in front of a dozen spectators, mainly expats and a few curious and bemused locals. The British Masters at Woburn this year drew 60,000 fans. Which venue is likely to have a better atmosphere for the Ryder Cup?

Besides Qatar would be hot for Shane Lowry.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 9:00 am

Shotrock wrote:...Navy - Why would you hope it does not happen? (Not trying to inflame here ... honestly curious.)

In two minds really. Part of me thinks if Dubai etc are willing to invest, that's great and should probably be 'rewarded' with things like the RC. The other part of me sees and thinks of things like the World Cup going to Russia/Qatar, F1 going to similar places etc and can't help thinking that it's about time major sporting events shouldn't be corrupted and bought up by despots and dubious personages as some national or personal vanity project. There's no golfing heritage or anything like it in the middle east - their events are just used as prestige for various oil-rich states/people. Still, I suppose that's been going on for some while really and it's been proven over and over that money talks, no matter where it comes from or how it's used.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 10:20 am

How does anywhere gain heritage from a point of having none though?

For example, at what point did the US golfing heritage get viewed as heritage? How did it get to that point - I'd guess money played it's part from the build up of no golfing history to the history it has now.

If the RC were to be awarded to (say) Qatar - would a Qatari national be able to play? If not, I'd struggle with the "home" tie
being played there. It'd be like the Denver Broncos playing a "home" game at Wembley...

I'll get me coat.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 12:22 pm

the dubai Desert Classic, through its various guises, has been ongoing since 1989. Surely that is enough to give Dubai some sort of golfing heritage. It must be one of the longest continuous events on the European Tour.

But nope, they should still not hold the Ryder Cup anywhere out of Europe and America.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 12:42 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Shotrock wrote:...Navy - Why would you hope it does not happen? (Not trying to inflame here ... honestly curious.)

In two minds really. Part of me thinks if Dubai etc are willing to invest, that's great and should probably be 'rewarded' with things like the RC. The other part of me sees and thinks of things like the World Cup going to Russia/Qatar, F1 going to similar places etc and can't help thinking that it's about time major sporting events shouldn't be corrupted and bought up by despots and dubious personages as some national or personal vanity project. There's no golfing heritage or anything like it in the middle east - their events are just used as prestige for various oil-rich states/people. Still, I suppose that's been going on for some while really and it's been proven over and over that money talks, no matter where it comes from or how it's used.

I agree with all this apart from one small point. Russia has a significant footballing heritage and it's probably only fair that such a large and populous country with a rich footballing fan base and heritage hosts the world cup.... I'm not going to speculate how they won the right.

It's important to me that the host nation / city can truly be passionate about an event.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 12:53 pm

beninho wrote:the dubai Desert Classic, through its various guises, has been ongoing since 1989. Surely that is enough to give Dubai some sort of golfing heritage. It must be one of the longest continuous events on the European Tour.

But nope, they should still not hold the Ryder Cup anywhere out of Europe and America.
True re. the longevity of the DDC...but how many Dubai natives play golf as a result? I guess re. "heritage" I meant at least as much from a tradition of playing the sport as hosting events based on a cash input. I'd suggest that Dubai doesn't give a stuff about golf, it just sees the event as a way to showcase/showoff (Look at my wad! Loadsamoney!) Dubai.

raycastleunited wrote:I agree with all this apart from one small point. Russia has a significant footballing heritage and it's probably only fair that such a large and populous country with a rich footballing fan base and heritage hosts the world cup.... I'm not going to speculate how they won the right.

It's important to me that the host nation / city can truly be passionate about an event.
True. Happy to speculate that something other than Russia's playing heritage might just have something to do with their acquisition of the 2018 event...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 1:31 pm

The Ryder Cup is for players from Europe and America, not from players of where the tour is played.

Canadians can't play in it, despite the PGA having a stop there, so to suggest someone from UAE or Qatar should get a chance to play is really really stupid.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 1:43 pm

If that was a result of my comment Super...

I wasn't suggesting a Qatari or Emirati should be allowed to play RC, I was trying to say that the RC should only ever go somewhere that a native of that country would be eligible to qualify to play in it - so Europe and America.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 1:49 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:If that was a result of my comment Super...

I wasn't suggesting a Qatari or Emirati should be allowed to play RC, I was trying to say that the RC should only ever go somewhere that a native of that country would be eligible to qualify to play in it - so Europe and America.

Fair enough, wouldn't put it past Mac Corbyn to suggest it though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 2:13 pm

Thanks for your response(s). Good points all around.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum