The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Course would you miss Christmas for?

+10
Bob_the_Job
raycastleunited
JAS
Roller_Coaster
kwinigolfer
LadyPutt
Shotrock
navyblueshorts
super_realist
McLaren
14 posters

Go down

What Course would you miss Christmas for? Empty What Course would you miss Christmas for?

Post by McLaren Tue 15 Dec 2015, 1:19 pm

A lot of people love Christmas day and wouldn't miss that precious time with the family for anything, and others such as Super_Realist can't stand it and would presumably happily skip the whole thing and watch a CSI box set.

As a measure of how much you love Christmas day I want you to consider the round of golf on offer that would make you play golf instead of sharing turkey with the family.  Assuming you cannot do both.  Would the local muni be enough for you to skip the festivities or do you love Christmas so much that only a round at Cypress Point or Royal Melbourne could tempt you away from the family and Turkey.

I am pretty much indifferent about Christmas day but appreciate that other people might want me around, but would happily miss the whole thing for a round on a Doak 5 in the immediate area.  I actually rate Gullane 2 and 3 a little higher than that but they illustrate the sort of course that is within an hours drive that would have me missing Christmas.  If I could get some playing partners together it would only take Gullane 2/3 for me to miss Christmas.

What is your Miss Christmas for it course?

Last edited by McLaren on Tue 15 Dec 2015, 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

What Course would you miss Christmas for? Empty Re: What Course would you miss Christmas for?

Post by super_realist Tue 15 Dec 2015, 1:33 pm

I usually play on Christmas day, at least nine holes.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

What Course would you miss Christmas for? Empty Re: What Course would you miss Christmas for?

Post by McLaren Tue 15 Dec 2015, 1:36 pm

Super

Weather permitting I usually play a few holes, but the premise of the thread is playing a full 18/36 and missing out on Christmas day.

What would it take for you to do that?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 15 Dec 2015, 1:43 pm

Depends Mac, would I miss a nice meal for a freezing cold, Scottish course on winter greens, mats and temporary tees? Probably not.

The other year I was able to swerve Christmas due to family being ill, but weather meant no golf anyway.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 15 Dec 2015, 1:52 pm

Super

Expand your mind, this is just a bit of fun. For once just answer a question.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 15 Dec 2015, 2:00 pm

Are you meaning a course that's in summer condition with summer weather?

If that's the case it would have to be somewhere I don't play much, so everything at St.Andrews is out, in fact all Fife courses are out.

It wouldn't take much to give me an excuse to miss Christmas, so it could easily be something like Dornoch, but in the realms of fantasy, I've always wanted to play Loch Lomond, whilst I love the looks of Woodhall Spa, Sunningdale, Hindhead, Walton Heath etc

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 15 Dec 2015, 2:11 pm

Hmm. Only worth it for an invitation-only, once-in-a-lifetime sort of course. So maybe ANGC, Cypress Point, Pine Valley...that sort of thing. Anything else and I could do another time.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 15 Dec 2015, 2:29 pm

Cypress Point

Every person I've spoken to that's played there says it exceeded their expectation -- by a lot.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 15 Dec 2015, 2:29 pm

Shotrock wrote:Cypress Point

Every person I've spoken to that's played there says it exceeded their expectation -- by a lot.

Complete opposite to TOC then. Laugh Laugh Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue 15 Dec 2015, 3:00 pm

Anywhere in the sunshine? Whistle
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 15 Dec 2015, 3:21 pm

Navy

So you really enjoy Christmas then?

In general I am surprised people require such a good course to drag them away from Christmas.

Super

I you fancy a game on TOC on Christmas day just PM me.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 15 Dec 2015, 3:27 pm

Don't think there are any buses running, and you'd never get over the Forth Bridge.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 15 Dec 2015, 3:33 pm

Wouldn't want to go to a bucket-list course if the weather was likely to be iffy, so Australia for me. Kingston Heath looks good right now, and can stay in Melbourne for the Aussie Open tennis which IS on my bucket-list.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 15 Dec 2015, 3:50 pm

McLaren wrote:Navy

So you really enjoy Christmas then?

In general I am surprised people require such a good course to drag them away from Christmas....
Sometimes, yes I do. Good to see family (usually!) and enjoy decent food/drink. More important, generally, than getting on a course I could play at pretty much any other time of year. I'd be seriously torn if I was offered the chance to play the three I mentioned above though, or others of that ilk...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 15 Dec 2015, 4:25 pm

Good question Mac.

If it's a question of not being able to see the family AT ALL for the whole day and only being able to play golf on my own, then I would not be able to miss Christmas as I like seeing the little one opening presents (and inevitably pratting around in the box more than using it's contents!) and some of the day is good fun and I'm not a huge fan of playing on my own unless I'm specifically practising something.

If it was go and pay to play a course I could get on at any other time - then Christmas would win.

Fortunately I reckon the family would understand if a bucket list once in a lifetime offer for one day only with a couple of mates came up for a freebie at ANGC (in nice weather) - so we'd move celebrating Christmas back a day!

Yours not really answering it-ly

Roller

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 16 Dec 2015, 2:21 pm

I have actually 'missed' Xmas several times in the past few years to play cracking courses. I will do it again although not this year, having a family xmas with my new partner. Having said that if somebody called me tomorrow and said "I could get you on Cypress Point on Xmas day, do you fancy it?" The flights would be booked within minutes!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 16 Dec 2015, 4:37 pm

No chance of a White Christmas here, can't remember the last time there was no snow.
Not sure about VT but just received an email from Saratoga that the course there is open at least until Boxing Day. Closed for Xmas Day though so it looks like Christmas en famille after all.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 16 Dec 2015, 5:28 pm

It is unusually mild in London too - around 14 degrees - and it's been like this for weeks. Feels a bit colder than that because it's wet and windy, but courses will be very playable over Christmas.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 17 Dec 2015, 1:18 pm

raycastleunited wrote:It is unusually mild in London too - around 14 degrees - and it's been like this for weeks. Feels a bit colder than that because it's wet and windy, but courses will be very playable over Christmas.
Lots of courses near us in the saaarf-east are very muddy due to all the rain on clay soil so I'm not sure I'd call them playable - open, yes, but playable??? Whistle
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 17 Dec 2015, 1:26 pm

What course would I miss Christmas for?

This year, with a 2 year old in the house, none, not even Augusta. I am almost as excited as she is.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Dec 2015, 2:05 pm

The way I feel about Christmas, I'd miss it for a chipping session down at the club.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 17 Dec 2015, 2:11 pm

Super

Would your family miss you if you skipped Christmas?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Dec 2015, 2:13 pm

They might do, but they know I don't like Christmas.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 17 Dec 2015, 2:15 pm

What is the reason for your massive dislike of Christmas?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Dec 2015, 2:18 pm

I dislike how early it starts in the year, I dislike how commercial it is, I dislike the gaudy decorations, I dislike the assertion that I have to have fun. I dislike the enforced structure of the day. I dislike the small talk and chit-chat etc. I dislike the lack of personal space.

I can't really think what there is to like about it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 17 Dec 2015, 2:25 pm

Life should cater for two Christmases, one for parents, one for those without children. Two completely different experiences.
I remember the days when there was League Footie on Christmas Day; now THERE was something to look forward to if your team was at home.
PFC's centre half at the time was a Sunday School teacher and was a conscientous objector to playing on Xmas Day and never played.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 17 Dec 2015, 4:25 pm

super_realist wrote:I dislike how early it starts in the year, I dislike how commercial it is, I dislike the gaudy decorations...
I'd certainly second a dislike of these!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 18 Dec 2015, 9:51 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Life should cater for two Christmases, one for parents, one for those without children. Two completely different experiences.

It does:

Parents - 25/12

Non Parents - 26/12 to the following 24/12

The parents one is brilliant, when the kid(s) are still young enough to be innocently amazed without having the 3 months of constantly wanting absolutely everything that appears on the telly. Unfortunately, that only seemed to be the Christmas of her being 2!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 18 Dec 2015, 11:03 am

Given my kids are no longer that into it, and that my in-laws come to our house, I'd skip it for the local pitch & putt..but I value my balls too much..as in I'm likely to lose them if I played the local pitch & putt on Christmas day....

... the rough is shocking.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 18 Dec 2015, 1:39 pm

super_realist wrote: I dislike the enforced structure of the day. I dislike the small talk and chit-chat etc. I dislike the lack of personal space.

I can't really think what there is to like about it.

Super, are you currently doing time? I can understand that Christmas would be a particularly miserable time if you're in prison.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 18 Dec 2015, 1:51 pm

I love christmas. I like the idea of family getting together and enjoying themselves. I like giving people presents that they, hopefully, like. I am sure I will enjoy it even more as my boy gets older, and undertands it all a bit more.

I can imagine people not liking it, if they have no good friends or a dis-functional family, who do not get on. Which i find a shame.

Would I give it up for a game of golf. At the moment its doubtful. May change as i get older.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 18 Dec 2015, 3:02 pm

Super

Do you have no one in your life that you can get on with well enough to enjoy a christmas dinner with them?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 18 Dec 2015, 3:04 pm

Not so much that Mac, I regularly visit my family, I'm just not a very 'Christmassy' person Mac.
Probably not a surprise though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sat 19 Dec 2015, 1:34 am

I went to see the Thailand Open last week and of course after seeing the pros playing, I would love to play Amata Springs which usually wins the award for the best course on the Asian Tour. It has an island green that can only be accessed by boat. Add in the fact that on Christmas day it will probably be warm, sunny and dry. That would make it perfect. The only problem being is it is a private course for members and their guests only.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 19 Dec 2015, 6:39 pm

super_realist wrote:Not so much that Mac, I regularly visit my family, I'm just not a very 'Christmassy' person Mac.
You don't want to be associated with a Jewish sky zombie I guess..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 21 Dec 2015, 9:25 am

pedro wrote:
super_realist wrote:Not so much that Mac, I regularly visit my family, I'm just not a very 'Christmassy' person Mac.
You don't want to be associated with a Jewish sky zombie I guess..

I thought the El Al cabin crew were very charming...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 25 Dec 2015, 11:10 am

Nice wee 9 holes on Christmas Day for me,

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 25 Dec 2015, 11:13 am

Wish my course was open - 9 holes would help blow the cobwebs away!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 25 Dec 2015, 5:15 pm

Did you make a snowman?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down