The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

+56
gazzyD
MrPoncho
RiscaGame
alfie
Scott is Back
Preacher
dyrewolfe
Mr Tom
Tattie Scones RRN
nadeem2099
hornbloweroafc
lostinwales
Geordie
hampo17
Y I Man
Adam D
SecretFly
bluestonevedder
profitius
lfc91
Holymiky
ShahenshahG
kingraf
The Beast
Alistair
TRUSSMAN66
Atila
Luke
GSC
JDizzle
Breadvan
Ent
dummy_half
Azzy
wisden
seanmichaels
mikey_dragon
Galted
Dolphin Ziggler
guildfordbat
rIck_dAgless
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Steffan
Bull
Mr Bounce
superflyweight
Mind the windows Tino.
compelling and rich
westisbest
Rowley
Derbymanc
Mad for Chelsea
Hero
Hammersmith harrier
Stella
President Trump
60 posters

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 16 Empty The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by President Trump Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:23 am

First topic message reminder :

I watch two films over the last few days

Seventh Son: Absolute tosh, it felt like a bad D&D film from SyFy

The Wedding Ringer: It was a fun movie, predictable but fun, "Who the hell are these guys, it's like the Goonies grew up and became r@pists" Laugh

President Trump

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 16 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:39 am

Rowley wrote:Hell or High Water - I enjoyed it a lot, it makes its point about poverty and the lack of economic opportunities in America's rust belt a bit heavy handedly, particularly at the start of the film, but overall it is a good film. It looks absolutely amazing, and Ben Foster and Chris Pine are both excellent as the leads. Jeff Bridges is as brilliant as ever as the grizzled Marshall on their tale. It looks amazing as well, the long sweeping shots make the Texas countryside look stunning.

It scores poorly though on the HH Scale of titling accuracy though. There is neither any hell or high water, in fact I can't remember any water at all, it's pretty dry throughout. Was it called Two brothers robbing banks to pay off a mortgage on a house this would be a truly great film, as it is, it's just alright, but better than Spectre.
Cracking film.... thoroughly enjoyed it.

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 16 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Geordie Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:03 pm

In the last 3 weeks I have watched quite a few:

Watched:
X-Men Apolcalypse:
Pretty average, uninteresting movie. Not worth the hype.

Star Trek 3:
Really enjoyable, I have enjoyed them all so far

Ghostbusters:
2 hours of my life I will never get back. Why oh why did they bother!!

Alice through the looking glass:
I unashamedly admit I really enjoyed this. I actually enjoyed it more than the original Alice remake.

Now you see me 2:
See Ghostbusters above!!!

Jungle Book:
Yeah pretty good. A good watch when you have some time spare.

Shooter (Mark Wahlberg):
Cracking movie. Thorougly enjoyed it. Was like a Bourne movie.

Jason Bourne:
Boring, average, forgettable movie. Why oh why did they bother. Why not just leave it as one of the great trilogys.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:08 pm

Watched Drive again.
Quality.

Gosling is superb in it.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:30 am

The Raven

HH scale of accurate Titling 7/10 it had Ravens in it but they were not hugely prevalent
SMST&V - 6 no boobs, some violence
Tino scale - 5/10
Galted scale -6.11157/10

Bang average.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:38 pm

Central Intelligence - Patchy in spots, but I did laugh a fuc.kload watching it. Need to find the genre of comedy funny though.
Bad Moms - meh. Not bad, but not quite what it's trying to be. Could have been worse though. don't think I actually laughed though
The Other Guys - Bit of a classic, but absolutely brilliant imo. Will Farrell is in his wheelhouse here.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:57 pm

kingraf wrote:Central Intelligence - Patchy in spots, but I did laugh a fuc.kload watching it. Need to find the genre of comedy funny though.
Bad Moms - meh. Not bad, but not quite what it's trying to be. Could have been worse though. don't think I actually laughed though
The Other Guys - Bit of a classic, but absolutely brilliant imo. Will Farrell is in his wheelhouse here.

Disappointing.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:12 am

Saw Dr. Strange this week.

I thought it was an average movie with good, but over the top special effects.

It's set in the same universe as the Avengers. I'm sure as hell glad that I don't live in that universe. Beginning to feel quite sorry for all the New Yorkers who are continually having to rebuild parts of their city after all the devastation that goes on there. Cool

5/10

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:08 pm

Finally got round to Mad Max Fury Road. Wish I didn't really. Not sure how that film got rave reviews, it was beyond awful. Hardly saw anything of Hardy, was just boring Theron behind a wheel & staring into the distance. Dreadful stuff. 4/10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:19 am

Ah the new mad max is utterly gash!!!

I felt the same...great reviews and watched it...and thought we'll theres 2+ hours of my life I will never get back!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:45 am

I'm with Atila, Just John and GF. Dr Strange and Mad Max both got great reviews, but I found them utterly meh. Sure, visually they're impressive, but other than that a bit dull.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:36 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Ah the new mad max is utterly gash!!!

I felt the same...great reviews and watched it...and thought we'll theres 2+ hours of my life I will never get back!

Which half was best though? The half where they all went one way or the half where they turned around and all went back the other way?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:47 pm

SecretFly wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Ah the new mad max is utterly gash!!!

Which half was best though?  The half where they all went one way or the half where they turned around and all went back the other way?

I marginally preferred the half where they all went one way, although the half where they turned around and all went back the other way had better explosions, so it's a close call.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:48 pm

It's a coin toss for sure Cool

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:12 pm

I watched Jour De Fête.

It was quite delightful.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:21 pm

I thought about watching "Hard To Be a God" on Saturday night.

I didn't.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:22 pm

Me neither.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:34 pm

What's The Revenant like?
May check it out this week.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:40 am

The Night Before: Not sure if I was still under the influence from a rough weekend, but found this absolutely hilarious. One scene in particular I re-watched several times in a row. Would definitely recommend. 8.5/10 (Maybe 6/10 sober)

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott is Back Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:05 pm

kingraf wrote:Central Intelligence - Patchy in spots, but I did laugh a fuc.kload watching it. Need to find the genre of comedy funny though.

Colins brother?

Scott is Back

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:35 am

Pixels, got hammered by everyone but I thought it was alright (bar the pac-man bit that was pants) and the lil lad watched most of it so it couldn't have been too bad.

Blackfish - Been meaning to watch it for ages, fantastic documentary and well worth a watch.

Central Intelligence - funny as hell, really enjoyed it and had me laughing most of the way through it.

Lights Out - Excellent little film and had the missus jumping at it too, great first time watch but there are a few holes in the storyline.

Bad Moms - I found it funny more likely cause I could imagine half of them beign from Crab Lane Primary :-)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:04 pm

Bad Santa 2. Its crude and not very intellectual but its a good laugh and continues on from the first film. Billy Bob Thornton is brilliant as the down and out drunk who is in a constant battle with himself to do good instead of evil. If you want a good laugh and want to switch off the brain, this is worth watching.

Hell or high water. I really enjoyed this. 2 brothers go on a bank robbing spree to recover the money they feel the banks stole from them. They're chased by a detective played by Jeff Bridges, who is excellent as always. Its a slow paced film set in Texas and it manages to squeeze in some funny moments and some action. The acting is very good and the ending isn't as predictable as similar type film.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:30 am

Rogue one. No Jedi, plot crawl or John Williams music but essentially it IS star wars. Classic nods to past and future films which connect into a new hope. Superb film and probably up there with Empire as the best..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:17 pm

Going to watch it on Tuesday
In 3D

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:57 pm

Breadvan wrote:Rogue one. No Jedi, plot crawl or John Williams music but essentially it IS star wars. Classic nods to past and future films which connect into a new hope. Superb film and probably up there with Empire as the best..

Thought the first third was a bit messy and some bits that didn't quite flow with each other - some of the bits with Forest Whitaker's character were a bit confused and like they had changed their mind about what they wanted to do.

Last two thirds were tremendous though. Fantastically gritty and the last 5 minutes might be the best section in any Star Wars film.

Overall, loved it. Better than the Force Awakens by a bit.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:52 pm

Rogue One.

Loved it. Has a very different feel from other Star Wars films, this one feels more grounded, and grittier, but absolutely manages to still feel like Star Wars. Edwards nails the atmosphere IMO (I had my doubts, considering Godzilla which I didn't think worked). As JD said,some bits of the first third are a bit confused: the trailers hint that Forest Whitaker originally had a much larger part, and as it is, he feels almost unnecessary.
Spoiler:

Really picks up through the middle, and the whole final act is magnificent IMO, with the very slight exception of that silly bit with the power cable.

Spoiler:

All in all, a fine film, the fact it's a stand alone allowed the directors more freedom with the direction of the movie, and for me it really works.

Will probably go to see again fairly soon.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:42 am

profitius wrote:Bad Santa 2. Its crude and not very intellectual but its a good laugh and continues on from the first film. Billy Bob Thornton is brilliant as the down and out drunk who is in a constant battle with himself to do good instead of evil. If you want a good laugh and want to switch off the brain, this is worth watching.

Hell or high water. I really enjoyed this. 2 brothers go on a bank robbing spree to recover the money they feel the banks stole from them. They're chased by a detective played by Jeff Bridges, who is excellent as always. Its a slow paced film set in Texas and it manages to squeeze in some funny moments and some action. The acting is very good and the ending isn't as predictable as similar type film.

I enjoyed this one too. Though the wife was so bored she ran out for coffee after about forty minutes and didn't come back Smile

( She didn't leave town , mind. Met up with me for supper later ...just in case you get the wrong idea Smile )

It did start slow : hooked me once I heard Townes van Zandt on the soundtrack but that's one of my personal triggers... Thought it did a fine job of showing a part of the USA in a time of disillusionment - maybe one that persists today ? Acting was terrific and I was more than usually satisfied by the ending (which is surely the hardest part to get and the place where a lot of films go wrong...

Four stars .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:23 pm

Watched Rogue One myself today and have to say it restored my faith in the SW universe, I enjoyed Force Awakens but it was just too much if a reboot to get truly engaged, this though was just like being back at the cinema and seeing the originals for the first time.
The robot may also have surpassed R2D2 for fave star wars robot.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:14 pm

I watched Rogue One last week, and thought it the best Star Wars film of the past 33 years. yes there are always going to be little issues with these films but I thought that the concept, casting and execution was first rate. Some lovely little nods to the originals, but it also works well as a stand-alone film. I had to do a double take as to whether Tarkin was a computer-generated version or an actor chosen that looked like Peter Cushing. VERY cleverly done. I watched it in IMAX 3D which gave it extra gravitas and also had the wonderful effect of having a Star Destroyer in the cinema with you, which, let's face it, is what every big kid wants.

Excellent. 9/10.

Tonight's viewing was Passengers with Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt. Great effects and a good idea overall but s**t the bed it's boring. Just because you've got a few shots of Pratt with his butt hanging out for the ladies and Jennifer in a swimsuit for the guys doesn't make it a good film. The first 45 minutes will leave you wondering when something is going to happen and then when it does, it's all very much formulaic. Add to this the overall spaceship design appears to have been lifted from somewhere else (I am certain that I have seen it before) plus the obvious medical pod idea from both Prometheus and Elysium - it just isn't very exciting. It's much like the film Lucy - they had a great idea and didn't really know what to do with it.

It's visually stunning, but effects alone don't make a good film. 5/10

Last edited by Mr Bounce on Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Finally got to watch The Lion King when it was on the other night.  Wasn't expecting anything nearly as good as the original Jungle Book but was surprised at how crap this was.  Even the preachy made-for-Sunday-afternoon-TV sh*t Disney used to inflict on us was better than this rubbish.

Unfunny, poorly drawn, predictable and unlikable.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Rogue One.

Was impressive.
Enjoyed it.
Good bit of action and humour.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:36 am

Saw Rogue One .  Quite fun  - to be honest I am not a massive Star Wars fan (preference for more subtle science fiction stories rather than giant budget space opera) but I like the way they have taken the opportunity to "fill the gap" in the story line...and it was pretty well done all round.
I've heard complaints that there was a certain inevitability to the finish - given we all know what happened next ; but if that were a reason to avoid the film no one would have gone to see Titanic...

Actually plenty of reasons not to go and see Titanic but that's another story Smile

Good addition to the Star Wars collection thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:07 am

I'm going to have to see Rogue One again. Saw it a week or two ago and wasn't impressed.

Maybe as I watched it after work and was a little tired my concentration wasn't 100%. Everyone on here who's seen it seems to have enjoyed it.

Just a hunch, but I think eventually they're going to "fill the gap" between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. There was a 32 year time period between the two films. I can see them making at least three films to fill that up.

R.I.P. Carrie Fisher.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am

The way that CGI animation is going then they'll be able to do them without the worry of actors aging or dying.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:21 pm

Hero wrote:The way that CGI animation is going then they'll be able to do them without the worry of actors aging or dying.

Who gets paid when a dead actor performs in a movie without his consent and without an employment contract?

A studio owns the movie you actually performed in and therefore they have ownership rights to repeated views for decades after - with your name on the agreement that specifies that detail.  However, who owns the rights to an actor when he is forced to extend his career and the profits of studios long after he's expired?

I think it a tricky legal area and I'd love a test case to prove that nobody has the right to gain profit from manipulating a dead person into a script he didn't give his consent to.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:44 pm

In regards to Tarkin, they did ask Peter Cushing's family for permission to do the CGI version.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:10 pm

His Estate will own his image rights. Anyone wanting to use them would have to ask permission and would likely need to pay a fee.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:35 pm

Hero wrote:In regards to Tarkin, they did ask Peter Cushing's family for permission to do the CGI version.

Similar with Keanu Reeves and Daniel Radcliffe except they cleverly manipulated their corpses instead of spending money on CGI.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:29 pm

What about Weekend at Bernies (parts 1 and 2)?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:52 pm

alfie wrote:Saw Rogue One .  Quite fun  - to be honest I am not a massive Star Wars fan (preference for more subtle science fiction stories rather than giant budget space opera) but I like the way they have taken the opportunity to "fill the gap" in the story line...and it was pretty well done all round.
I've heard complaints that there was a certain inevitability to the finish - given we all know what happened next ; but if that were a reason to avoid the film no one would have gone to see Titanic...

Actually plenty of reasons not to go and see Titanic but that's another story Smile

Good addition to the Star Wars collection thumbsup
I enjoyed Titanic. Smile From what it made at the box office, so did plenty of others.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:58 pm

People voted for Brexit and Trump. People are f*cking idiots.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:23 pm

superflyweight wrote:People voted for Brexit and Trump.  People are f*cking idiots.  
I've been told that I am an idiot  few times.Cool

I've always been interested in the Titanic sinking, even before the film was released. I never got the hate for Titanic film though.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:26 am

I just read that Carrie Fisher's mum, Debbie Reynolds has died. Tough couple of days for the remaining family members.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:08 am

Rogue One was good don't get me wrong but not nearly as good as the reviews say; when you know what comes before and after it makes it feel like cynical money making rather than quality film making.

Those who know the originals already know the story so there's nothing new to it.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:21 pm

I liked 'Rogue One'. It felt like a proper war/spy movie

Problem is...parts of the plot did not fully tie in with 'A New Hope'

I enjoyed it as a stand alone movie but like me you are a huge lover of the Original 'Unaltered' Trilogy then a bit like 'Force Awakens'...it just didn't quite fit in with the saga fully

But a good movie none the less

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:42 pm

Tonight's viewing was Passengers with Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt. Great effects and a good idea overall but s**t the bed it's boring. Just because you've got a few shots of Pratt with his butt hanging out for the ladies and Jennifer in a swimsuit for the guys doesn't make it a good film. The first 45 minutes will leave you wondering when something is going to happen and then when it does, it's all very much formulaic. Add to this the overall spaceship design appears to have been lifted from somewhere else (I am certain that I have seen it before) plus the obvious medical pod idea from both Prometheus and Elysium - it just isn't very exciting. It's much like the film Lucy - they had a great idea and didn't really know what to do with it.

It's visually stunning, but effects alone don't make a good film. 5/10[/quote]

I would pretty well agree with you, whilst not a disaster (took on board your comments on the pacing) disappointing, there is a good film to be made from the story, this was not it. Perhaps the "twist" could have been revealed much later and the end thus not rushed. This may not be popular but whilst Chris Pratt is IMO perfectly fine when throwing out funny one-liners but I am not sold on his "dramatic/more serious" work at all. I am a fan of Lawrence but she needs more to do than this.

Also saw A Million Ways to Die in the West. Apparently a comedy which apart from the odd moment did not make me laugh, disappointed after enjoying Seth MacFarlane's Ted. 3/10

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. A drama perhaps in the same mold as The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Well acted, good script worth a watch, despite the subject for me more funny moments than the above. 7.5/10

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:26 am

Killer Joe
Mathew McConaughey is a hired killer hired by a poor family to kill their mother who left them years earlier. I don't know what to make of the film. It started out well but the last 20 min was just bizarre and the ending was sh!te. Didn't make sense at all.

Collateral Beauty
Herself wanted to see and asked me to go with her. It starred Will Smith and Ed Norton. She loved it, I found it dreary and soppy. The film is about death basically. :S So if you enjoy that kind of soppy emotional drama this might be for you. I don't think many men would like it tbh.

Star Trek Beyond
It didn't make sense at all. There were too many nonsensical plot holes for me to enjoy it. Lazy film making. It got too much for me after an hour. They were on an alien planet that was hidden in deep space yet here we have captain Kirk riding around the alien base on a fcuking motorbike! Yes he found an earth made motorbike on the planet!! steam So I stopped watching then. lol
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:41 am

profitius wrote:Killer Joe
Mathew McConaughey is a hired killer hired by a poor family to kill their mother who left them years earlier. I don't know what to make of the film. It started out well but the last 20 min was just bizarre and the ending was sh!te. Didn't make sense at all.

Collateral Beauty
Herself wanted to see and asked me to go with her. It starred Will Smith and Ed Norton. She loved it, I found it dreary and soppy. The film is about death basically. :S  So if you enjoy that kind of soppy emotional drama this might be for you. I don't think many men would like it tbh.

Star Trek Beyond
It didn't make sense at all. There were too many nonsensical plot holes for me to enjoy it. Lazy film making. It got too much for me after an hour. They were on an alien planet that was hidden in deep space yet here we have captain Kirk riding around the alien base on a fcuking motorbike! Yes he found an earth made motorbike on the planet!!  steam  So I stopped watching then. lol

on star trek, it does explain why afterwards

star trek:

i didnt mind star trek, never going to win awards but a easy turn off your brain sci fi movie

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:49 am

missus made me watch girl on a train last night. feel like theres a good film somewhere in there just pretty boring for the most parts until the end. far too slow in the build up and found the who did it fairly obvious. even the missus said it was abit cack

HH scale of accurate Titling 7/10- there is a train and the main character is on it a lot, but id say she was more of a women than a girl

SMST&V - 7- bits of sex, some boobs and a bit of violence if your willing to wait till the end. the girl who gets killed is hot and if i was the therapist i definitely would have

Tino scale - 5/10

Galted scale -5.25157/10

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:56 pm

Rogue One.  Oh Dear.

It had finally just about everything I wanted to see from a true blooded Star Wars movie... the wonderful imagery of ships and fighters moving on out towards space from planet surfaces (realistically, taking their time, no need for bloody hyperspace so early whilst still inside planetary atmospheres - it's the little things that project realism) - and the interiors of the ships also were lovingly made to look lived-in.  It's one of the old qualities of the original Star Wars trilogy that the craft used looked like they had a genuine history and weren't gleaming, shiny, rapid landing/taking off crap like the later movie incarnations.

The planets too were lovely to look at and you realised at least this was finally a director that finally realised just exactly where the magic of the Star Wars Universe lies - the art departments; landscapes, architecture, locations, cinematography, craft design.

But also a nice script................... and unfortunately, this was the 'Oh Dear' moment for Rogue One.  Threadbare stuff with oodles of needless exposition stuff.  "Go over there and make sure you press the red button that will open that blue door that will allow us to fire our red hot bolts at the basterdes in white!'

It's a movie!  Stop wasting valuable conversation time in explaining the visuals!  It's dumb, it insults the intelligence of the watching public, it shows you have nothing to make these characters talk about except the plot and it kills all the good visual stuff stone dead.

Even poor Vader - his lines had no grit or beautiful bite - and where were his shoulders?  The Helmet looked gigantic on that puny guy's shoulders.  Vader has presence, has a sweeping style, has bloody broad shoulders!  His best bit (when he does his stuff at the end) is probably enough for me to watch Rogue One again sometime but I think I've had enough of making the effort to go to a cinema to see these always disappointing attempts at reimaging the magic of the 70s and 80s.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:29 pm

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them
Was ok, a bit of a mix of Ghostbusters, Matrix and Walking With Beasts.  Would have scored higher if there was some way to punch Eddie Redmayne's face through the screen as it cries out for a bit of smarting.
TSoCA - 5.8517
GSoCE - 6
HH scale of accurate titling - 8
SMST&V - 2 - a bit of wand action (non-gay)
Rowley scale of northern thriftiness - 2 - 2 for 1 tickets offset by spunking a fiver on a tub of popcorn I didn't even want

Strangers On A Train
Nice idea, some great scenes which there always is with Hitchcock but a bit of character silliness beyond credibility.
TSoCA - 6.11783
GSoCE - 6
HH scale of accurate titling - 6
SMST&V - 5 - a bit of punching and strangling
Rowley scale of northern thriftiness - 7 - watched on a dvd I bought on the cheap a few years ago

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next