The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by President Trump on Tue 10 Nov 2015, 10:23 am

First topic message reminder :

I watch two films over the last few days

Seventh Son: Absolute tosh, it felt like a bad D&D film from SyFy

The Wedding Ringer: It was a fun movie, predictable but fun, "Who the hell are these guys, it's like the Goonies grew up and became r@pists" Laugh

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 11:38 am

I also saw Murder on the Orient Express, and would agree with pretty much everything guildford says. Not a masterpiece, but a very enjoyable film thoroughly well made.

The main plus point is the terrific cast who all give excellent performances IMO, and the excellent scenery and cinematography in general. The mystery is well spun, and the pacing very good.

The negatives are that while there's nothing wrong with Brannagh's performance per se, I don't think he quite nails Poirot. Guildford calls him "too athletic", to which I would add "too angry" at times, and also maybe a bit too "Sherlocky" in the way he deduces things from little material clues. I totally agree with guildford's point that "answers [tend] to be presented rather than clues worked out", whereas the fun of a murder mystery is for the spectator to work things out along with the detective.

7/10 feels about right.

It's also impeccably titled, so should score full marks on the HH scale Very Happy.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 11:46 am

I also saw Passengers recently.

Overall, a bit meh. Tries to be too many films at once IMO. The first act is an introduction to Christ Pratt's character and deals with his difficult dilemma. The second part is a classic rom-com of "boy meets girl, boy falls for girl, boy loses girl", etc. in Space. The third part is a "the ship is falling apart and needs boy + girl to work together and rescue it (and all the passengers)". As a result the various parts feel rather underdeveloped to me, with too many Ex-Machinas (e.g. Lawrence Fishburne's character also conveniently waking up so that he can give Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence access to the right parts of the ship). The two main actors both give good performances, which just about carry the film, and some of the visuals are excellent (the water bubble scene in the last act), but overall, this is a disappointment: the script just doesn't hold up well enough IMO. 5/10

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 10:34 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:I also saw Murder on the Orient Express, and would agree with pretty much everything guildford says. Not a masterpiece, but a very enjoyable film thoroughly well made.

The main plus point is the terrific cast who all give excellent performances IMO, and the excellent scenery and cinematography in general. The mystery is well spun, and the pacing very good.

The negatives are that while there's nothing wrong with Brannagh's performance per se, I don't think he quite nails Poirot. Guildford calls him "too athletic", to which I would add "too angry" at times, and also maybe a bit too "Sherlocky" in the way he deduces things from little material clues. I totally agree with guildford's point that "answers [tend] to be presented rather than clues worked out", whereas the fun of a murder mystery is for the spectator to work things out along with the detective.

7/10 feels about right.

It's also impeccably titled, so should score full marks on the HH scale Very Happy.

I haven't seen it yet - intending to go this week.
But surely there should be a +1 to the rating for the moustache alone

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 11:05 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Watched Split last night with James McAvoy

Tino memorial rating: 8.5
GSoE: 8/10 - JM is f**king brilliant in it. 1st class performance. Loses a couple of marks because the film itself isn't as good as JM.
HH scale of accurate titling: 7/10 - Named according to the various personalities but you wouldn't know that if you didn't know the film.
Michaels Scale of t*ts OR war: 5/10 - A bit of underwear on show and a couple of violent scenes but nothing to wince at.
Rowley Scale of Northern Thriftiness: 10/10 - Free as you like
TSRRN-Q:

Patricia: We are what we believe we are.
Hedwig: Ha, Holy Poopie! This is so cool! Ah, ha ha! They're gonna believe we ditched them, right?
Dennis: They're gonna have to.
Hedwig: So, what do we do now?
Patricia: We trust in him. He'll protect us. Look at what he can do. Let him show the world how powerful we can be.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Beast: The broken are the more evolved.

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it, agree that JM is a top act in it, quite quickly you're recognizing the different personalities he's portraying.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs on Tue 21 Nov 2017, 1:19 pm

Hero wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Watched Split last night with James McAvoy

Tino memorial rating: 8.5
GSoE: 8/10 - JM is f**king brilliant in it. 1st class performance. Loses a couple of marks because the film itself isn't as good as JM.
HH scale of accurate titling: 7/10 - Named according to the various personalities but you wouldn't know that if you didn't know the film.
Michaels Scale of t*ts OR war: 5/10 - A bit of underwear on show and a couple of violent scenes but nothing to wince at.
Rowley Scale of Northern Thriftiness: 10/10 - Free as you like
TSRRN-Q:

Patricia: We are what we believe we are.
Hedwig: Ha, Holy Poopie! This is so cool! Ah, ha ha! They're gonna believe we ditched them, right?
Dennis: They're gonna have to.
Hedwig: So, what do we do now?
Patricia: We trust in him. He'll protect us. Look at what he can do. Let him show the world how powerful we can be.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Beast: The broken are the more evolved.

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it, agree that JM is a top act in it, quite quickly you're recognizing the different personalities he's portraying.

Filth came out a few years ago - dark but great film which is basically the James McAvoy show. Highly recommended.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum