The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saffers - England, 1st test, Durban - match thread

+20
Jetty
Pal Joey
VTR
kingraf
GSC
Duty281
SimonofSurrey
Hammersmith harrier
JDizzle
Galted
guildfordbat
Mad for Chelsea
CaledonianCraig
alfie
king_carlos
KP_fan
LivinginItaly
msp83
LondonTiger
Good Golly I'm Olly
24 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Saffers - England, 1st test, Durban - match thread - Page 8 Empty Saffers - England, 1st test, Durban - match thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:56 am

First topic message reminder :

Jimmy Anderson officially out, Woakes and Finn expected to be named with Jordan, footitt and ballance missing out.

Joe Root missing training today due to an upset stomach, but should be ok for day one
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Saffers - England, 1st test, Durban - match thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Saffers - England, 1st test, Durban - match thread

Post by Duty281 Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:31 pm

And that should be that. Great bowling from Finn at the end.

6 more for a precious 1-0 lead.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Saffers - England, 1st test, Durban - match thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Saffers - England, 1st test, Durban - match thread

Post by GSC Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:34 pm

Reasonable day for SA, but they were so far behind it wasn't nearly enough. Losing Du Plessis casts a large shadow.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:34 pm

GSC wrote:Steyn is a brave shout

He's a tough lad !

136/4

Only thing that went wrong for England was that missed stumping - game would be over if AB had gone . But you'd think six more wickets won't be too hard to collect with a nights rest for the bowlers and a second new ball due shortly after lunch tomorrow .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:52 pm

alfie wrote:Thought you'd be in quickly there , guildford Smile

You're right of course : the main function of the keeper is to keep . But England went to Prior (originally an ordinary gloveman ) when they really needed his runs.  Once he lost it they wanted a like for like replacement ...unfortunately neither of those tried has managed to nail both halves of the job. Yet.

I'm sure the keeping debate will rage in the northern summer.  In fact the thread on here may well run to the length of a Pietersen topic Smile

Yep, beat Usain Bolt over the first 10 yards! Very Happy

Very valuable wicket at the end of the day from Finn - he's having a good Test. Hoping we can wrap things up soon after lunch tomorrow. Always thought SA would struggle to top 250 in the 4th innings and will stay with that.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:44 am

The pattern of the match has been for sides to lose their later wickets quickly on resuming in the morning...but SA may offer a bit more resistance this time. AB will be hard to shift , and since Steyn is unlikely to be swinging the bat he will have to be prised out - after which there are two more with places to save...

Expect the pitch to give Moeen a bit to work with and I won't be surprised to see him take the majority of the wickets. Will be risky for AB to try and dominate him , so he should be able to settle into a groove and pressure the others.

Finn really bowled well. Actually thought he was better than his figures indicated in the first innings too. And he'd acknowledge his debt to very good catching from Root and Cook.

Woakes was tidy enough but doesn't look likely to destroy batting lineups : suspect his immediate prospects depend on the fitness of Stokes , with Anderson likely to return for Cape Town.

Apart from winning , England will really hope to do the job quickly as there is not much rest time before Test two !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:03 am

Perfect start for England !

AB gone ...Moeen - and a day five pitch - does the job...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:10 am

I know there are still those who believe he shouldn't be England's spinner - and he is no Swann - but Moeen continues to take important wickets , and enough of them , to win England matches. Yes he goes for runs sometimes , and bowls a few loose ones ; but his overall reord is pretty handy. Can bat a bit too.
Until the next Laker comes along he will do me...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:14 am

And there goes an unwanted recent record as Jonny Bairstow - very neatly - stumps Bavuma !

Two for Moeen in 9 balls and SA sinking fast .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:26 am

This is pretty bad. As bad as some of the beatings Australia have handed out to us
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:27 am

Never doubt Moeen warning

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:27 am

Finn rejoins the party and removes Steyn's off stump...

Having a fine spell ...as are England : 3/2 this morning in six overs !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:29 am

Not since the first session has anything gone right. Think this is our Ashes 2010-11
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:31 am

kingraf wrote:This is pretty bad. As bad as some of the beatings Australia have handed out to us

Only game one though , raf. And it is Durban...

But I think the SA batting looks pretty ordinary : surely there are better players around than van Zyl , Bavuma - and , on present form , Faf ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:40 am

alfie wrote:
kingraf wrote:This is pretty bad. As bad as some of the beatings Australia have handed out to us

Only game one though , raf. And it is Durban...

But I think the SA batting looks pretty ordinary : surely there are better players around than van Zyl , Bavuma - and , on present form , Faf ?

Van Zyl is a quality batsman. But he isn't an opener. Bavuma deserved a slot based on the way he batted last season but he hasn't made the grade. Quinton de Kock scored a rock star 100 a few days ago, and Stephn Cook scored a very very good unbeaten ton yesterday. Rilee Russouw is twelfth man for this Test and has an average of around 45, but I'd be worried about picking him because he hasn't played a FC match in two seasons. Colin Ingram has a pretty average looking record but rumour has it that he averages 50 over the last two three years
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:43 am

Just joined in time to see Bavuma being stumped. Far from convinced that makes everything ok behind the stumps but I guess Bairstow can breathe a bit easier.

Haven't seen AB's dismissal yet but it was clearly a massive boost to get him so early. Well done Moeen! I generally echo Alfie's very supportive comments about him. We do though need to watch the balance of the side (this isn't just about Moeen by any means); Moeen, Finn and Stokes can all be expensive which can mean Jimmy and Broad being overbowled. I do feel there's a case for Woakes to (continue to) be included although he hasn't stood out in this Test.

Finn now comes to the morning party with a text book dismissal of nightwatchman Steyn. Finn's continuing to have a good match.

And another for Moeen just before I press send. Abbott clearly lbw. Did say yesterday I didn't feel SA would reach 250. That's still more than 100 off as England need just 2 more.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:57 am

Agreed about balance of the side guildford. I still feel that we need the option of a more controlling seamer (hopefully Woakes can fulfill this) and a more controlling spinner to deal with different surfaces.

Rashid is good option to have as a leg spinner who can bat - I know he isn't on tour but I'm thinking longer term. Dilly can be devastating if allowed to play his natural game, i.e. throw him the ball in the second innings and give him long spells to bowl sides out. I don't think Moeen and him can work consistently as a partnership for turning surfaces where we want 2 spinners though. It almost inevitably relies on asking one (or even both) to play a containing role in the first innings which they aren't suited to.

1.Cook (c)
2.Hales
3.Compton
4.Root
5.Taylor
6.Stokes
7.Bairstow (wk)
8.Moeen
9.Broad
10.Finn
11.Anderson

I think that is what the selectors view as full strength currently and overall I'm quite happy with it all things considered. However if we play that on a flatter track I fear that as you say Jimmy and Broad will be bowled into the ground in the 1st innings trying to contain things. In order to develop consistency longer term I think we need those containing options to tailor our side to certain surfaces.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:00 am

Hi guildford

Wouldn't say all wicket keeping issues are solved - but certainly that stumping is a timely confidence booster for Bairstow , who might have been getting a bit twitchy after yesterday and a similar error in UAE. And confidence is a significant factor in keeping , as in all areas - not to suggest it can replace skill of course.

Your second paragraph seems to imply Woakes as an alternative to Stokes for Cape Town ? Can't see it myself unless Stokes has fitness issues. Or are advocating moving Moeen back up the order at the expense of a top order batsman ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:00 am

Back onto this match however...

Whilst the result should be a foregone conclusion from here this is a little spell of decent cricket just now. Finn and Moeen are both bowling well and Piedt is applying himself sternly. It's good little test to watch.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:03 am

Think Piedt has made the right call to deal with the spinner because JP is a walking wicket against them
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:04 am

guildfordbat wrote: I do feel there's a case for Woakes to (continue to) be included although he hasn't stood out in this Test.

Surely though you cannot countenance him still being selected as an opening bowler?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:04 am

kingraf wrote:
alfie wrote:

Only game one though , raf.  And it is Durban...

Van Zyl is a quality batsman. But he isn't an opener. Bavuma deserved a slot based on the way he batted last season but he hasn't made the grade. Quinton de Kock scored a rock star 100 a few days ago, and Stephn Cook scored a very very good unbeaten ton yesterday. Rilee Russouw is twelfth man for this Test and has an average of around 45, but I'd be worried about picking him because he hasn't played a FC match in two seasons. Colin Ingram has a pretty average looking record but rumour has it that he averages 50 over the last two three years

So bring in Cook to open , move van Zyl down the order - and bring in de Kock ...leave out two of Faf , Bavuma or Duminy ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:07 am

With an average in the low 30s after 32 test JP is one of those guys who you have to ask, how many times...

He's capable of fantastic innings but surely it must reach the point where he has to deliver at some point? Especially when you could accommodate an in form De Kock at his expense and take the gloves away from AB.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:14 am

LondonTiger wrote:
guildfordbat wrote: I do feel there's a case for Woakes to (continue to) be included although he hasn't stood out in this Test.

Surely though you cannot countenance him still being selected as an opening bowler?

I've never countenanced that. IF Woakes plays, he would primarily be the 4th seamer doing the holding role in my team. That doesn't sound too supportive and it's probably not but I do feel it is a role that may be required, particularly dependent upon playing conditions and strength of opposition batsmen.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:15 am

One of the worst overs he has bowled in the match with a couple of poor balls down the leg side.

That's a deserved wicket over the course of the game for Woakes though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:16 am

Woakes on the board at last as he has Piedt caught at short leg...glad to see him get a wicket , has bowled all right as part of a very good team effort thumbsup

Not long now ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:17 am

king_carlos wrote:With an average in the low 30s after 32 test JP is one of those guys who you have to ask, how many times...

He's capable of fantastic innings but surely it must reach the point where he has to deliver at some point? Especially when you could accommodate an in form De Kock at his expense and take the gloves away from AB.

Hi Carlos - I saw his average on tv this morning. I was quite surprised, expecting it to be a fair bit higher. As you suggest, the SA selectors should be putting him under the microscope.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:19 am

Hard to say. I don't know if Cook and Quinny can come in. Its a two day turn around and they're out in the highveld so I don't think they'll be called up. But long term yeah. Since the 2014 Australia series Faf has averaged 31 at a Nick Compton esque strike rate of 37. So he's in real danger. If it was me I'd go.

Cook
Elgar
Amla
Abdv
van Zyl
Bavuma/JPD/Faf DuP
Quinny
Piedt
Steyn
Rabada
Morkel
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:22 am

Gonna be comfortable in the end, early in the series but SA have the look of the England team they beat to go to #1. Once AB went, they folded completely.

Only Piedt and Elgar can really walk away thinking they've done themselves justice. Amla and Duminy in particular should come under real pressure. And Steyn has to be a doubt for the next test.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:25 am

guildfordbat wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

I've never countenanced that. IF Woakes plays, he would primarily be the 4th seamer doing the holding role in my team. That doesn't sound too supportive and it's probably not but I do feel it is a role that may be required, particularly dependent upon playing conditions and strength of opposition batsmen.

I agree with you, but of course that then means he is competing with Stokes for the 4th seamer spot, and so long as they see Stokes as a number 6 batter Woakes will always struggle to usurp him in the selectors minds.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:29 am

alfie wrote:Hi guildford

Wouldn't say all wicket keeping issues are solved - but certainly that stumping is a timely confidence booster for Bairstow , who might have been getting a bit twitchy after yesterday and a similar error in UAE.  And confidence is a significant factor in keeping , as in all areas - not to suggest it can replace skill of course.

Your second paragraph seems to imply Woakes as an alternative to Stokes for Cape Town ?  Can't see it myself unless Stokes has fitness issues.  Or are advocating moving Moeen back up the order at the expense of a top order batsman ?

Hi Alfie - really just floating thoughts as to the balance of the attack and putting them out there. Definitely wouldn't move Moeen back up the order . We may not fully understand it but Moeen's doing brilliantly atm - leave as is!

Stokes probably has enough credit and is sufficient threat to stay in the team but - and this is perhaps what I was getting at for now - that shouldn't always be an automatic assumption.

I'm inclined to feel that Woakes will and should make way for Jimmy for the second Test assuming all are fit. That's probably the best decision in all the circumstances. However, that doesn't mean the balance is ideal.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:29 am

I just don't see Woakes as more than a "bits and pieces" cricketer in test cricket, dont really think he gets picked on either his batting or bowling. Dont see how he's going to get many people out at test level.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:29 am

I like the idea of Woakes in the side instead of Stokes, move the keeper upto 6, Moeen at 7 and Woakes at 8.

My Moeen top wicket taker tip looking good so far!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:31 am

There's no way in my mind Woakes would ever make a test side over Ben Stokes.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:33 am

With Moeen a County Championship number 3 and Woakes having an appreciably higher First Class average than Stokes I would hope that the selectors would consider rotating him out if it best suited the side for the surface.

I can't see it happening myself as Stokes is viewed as a linchpin in the side. I think he's talented enough to perform that role but until he is showing consistency with either bat or ball (let alone both) I wouldn't be at all adverse to him being rotated out when required.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:40 am

LondonTiger wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

I agree with you, but of course that then means he is competing with Stokes for the 4th seamer spot, and so long as they see Stokes as a number 6 batter Woakes will always struggle to usurp him in the selectors minds.

As well as competing with Stokes for a spot, Woakes could in the future also challenge Finn for a place in the side. Finn's had a very good Test here but his past record for fitness and reliability suggest his place won't always be nailed on.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:44 am

Olly wrote:I like the idea of Woakes in the side instead of Stokes, move the keeper upto 6, Moeen at 7 and Woakes at 8.

Yes but how's Ballance doing as top run scorer?

Unfair I know, as that last prediction of your's was for last summer. Great leveller though for all this game! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:49 am

Well Game over. Herschelle Gibbs reckons the Newlands track will be similar to this one so there's that
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:50 am

Appropriate finish with Broad pinning Morkel...

He'd be my MoTM for his decisive first innings bowling - and valuable runs. Though you could make a case for Moeen or Compton.

Thumping win for England . And relatively short last day - important if they lose the toss at Newlands.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:51 am

Well Game over. Herschelle Gibbs reckons the Newlands track will be similar to this one so there's that
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:55 am

king_carlos wrote:With Moeen a County Championship number 3 and Woakes having an appreciably higher First Class average than Stokes I would hope that the selectors would consider rotating him out if it best suited the side for the surface.

I can't see it happening myself as Stokes is viewed as a linchpin in the side. I think he's talented enough to perform that role but until he is showing consistency with either bat or ball (let alone both) I wouldn't be at all adverse to him being rotated out when required.

Just to repeat some past praise for Moeen - feel he's earned it. Saw him make an excellent attacking century batting at number 3 for Worcs against Surrey at the Oval in 2014. Really got after Batty and (another of Olly's pin ups) Ansari. Anyway, soon after he was out, there was no resting on his laurels during the lunch interval. He was straightaway back on the outfield and practising his bowling. Never the most naturally gifted bowler but an extremely dedicated one.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:00 am

My England Ratings:

Cook 4 - 0/5 as batter, 4/5 as skipper
Hales 2 - Got himself out once set in second innings. Not a good debut, but some signs he may settle.
Compton 8 - Good comeback
Root 6 - Twice pretty much got himself out when set, Was angry that he had missed out on another ton. Important runs in second innings and helped see off the new ball in first.
Taylor 7 - important first innings runs, and decent knock in second.
Stokes 4 - Solid in role as 4th seamer, little significant contribution with bat.
Bairstow 6 - 4/5 as batter, 2/5 as keeper (missed a catch that a decent keeper should get plus a stumping that really only the best keepers make)
Ali 7 - Struggled in the first portions of SA inning (2nd and 4th days) but excellent in second portions.
Woakes 4 - (Harsh but based on being given the new ball, woudl have been higher if he had not been selected as an opening bowler)
Broad 7 - Key wickets in first innings set the standard. His tail end runs also proved vital in Englands first innings.
Finn 7 - His first spell pretty much removed any chance SA had in their second innings.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:00 am

Just read SA haven't had a 100 partnership this year.

Moeen would be my pick for MotM. Broad, Compton and Taylor also played well Imo.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:05 am

alfie wrote:Appropriate finish with Broad pinning Morkel...

He'd be my MoTM for his decisive first innings bowling - and valuable runs. Though you could make a case for Moeen or Compton.

Thumping win for England . And relatively short last day - important if they lose the toss at Newlands.

For the leftest of left field choices, how about a nomination for Cook? The way he led the team and being symbolic of a near perfect team performance.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:12 am

Probably a tad light on runs I suspect.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:28 am

guildfordbat wrote:

For the leftest of left field choices, how about a nomination for Cook? The way he led the team and being symbolic of a near perfect team performance.

I seem to remember a Test match back in the late 90's between SA and the WI where MOTM went to the entire SA team for a complete performance. Would have felt reasonably appropriate here IMO as everyone in the England team contributed something to the win.

See Moeen actually got it. Fair enough really...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:30 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Olly wrote:I like the idea of Woakes in the side instead of Stokes, move the keeper upto 6, Moeen at 7 and Woakes at 8.

Yes but how's Ballance doing as top run scorer?

Unfair I know, as that last prediction of your's was for last summer. Great leveller though for all this game! Very Happy

If they'd dropped the right person Gary B would've stormed the final tests Wink

Great stuff from England, really good win. Best away win since India 2012 or Melbourne 2010?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:35 am

Have we had an away win since then? Wink
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:36 am

Good win but south africa looked poor, carrying on from their woeful play in India. Good to see most of our players chipped in, thus meaning form is good. Anderson for Woakes, or Stokes, if he's fit.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:38 am

Yeah fair enough Moeen ...agree it really was a whole team performance.

Re Woakes : yes I can see him as a useful squad member , there may be situations where he will be the appropriate selection : but I think he is going to miss out , correctly , at Newlands. Fast bowlers get injured ; so he will have other chances.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:50 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

I seem to remember a Test match back in the late 90's between SA and the WI where MOTM went to the entire SA team for a complete performance. Would have felt reasonably appropriate here IMO as everyone in the England team contributed something to the win.

See Moeen actually got it. Fair enough really...

Hi MfC - I didn't know that about the SA team in the late '90's but do recall Lancs' skipper Jack Abrahams getting MOTM when his side won a Lord's domestic one day final in the early to mid '80s. He was staggered to get the award as he had got a duck and hadn't bowled (he was only an occasional bowler). The decision was made (? by Peter May) for Lancs' all round excellent fielding and teamwork. It attracted a lot of surprise although I considered it fair and understandable at the time.

Here, I'm actually quite happy to see Moeen get it. Did his primary job admirably and consistently through the two SA innings. Not only 7 match wickets but also a low economy rate (under 2.3) in his 51 overs. That last part was particularly valuable and helped keep the seamers fresh.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next