2nd Test, South Africa vs England; Cape Town 2nd-6th January

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2nd Test, South Africa vs England; Cape Town 2nd-6th January

Post by LondonTiger on Fri 01 Jan 2016, 1:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

South Africa (from):
H Amla (c), Q De Kock (wkt), AB De Villiers (wkt), K Abbott, T Bavuma, JP Duminy, F Du Plessis, D Elgar, M Morkel, C Morris, D Piedt, Rabada, R Rossouw, S Van Zyl, H Viljoen.

England (from):
A Cook (c), A Hales, N Compton, J Root, J Taylor, B Stokes, J Bairstow (wkt), M Ali, C Woakes, S Broad, S Finn, J Anderson, S Patel, C Jordan, M Footitt, J Butler, G Ballance.

Umpires: A Dar (Pak), B Oxenford (Aus)

Third umpire: R Tucker (Aus)

Match referee: R Madugalle (Sri Lanka)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Re: 2nd Test, South Africa vs England; Cape Town 2nd-6th January

Post by kingraf on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 2:55 pm

A little behind the over rate. might need to bowl Piedt and van Zyl in tandem before the new ball
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 3:26 pm

Not sure either of these batsmen are very comfortable knocking part time spinners around for singles - it is contrary to their instincts : Root and Taylor would be quite content to take five singles per over.
Mindful of the approaching new ball , though ; so van Zyl and Elgar have been operating at reasonable economy rates...Piedt actually costing more .

Mind you , he has turned a few . Moeen might be fancying this.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 3:29 pm

Why would Chris Morris take the new ball though
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 3:31 pm

Stokes greets the new ball with a sumptuous on drive...

Another fifty partnership....followed by Stokes going to fifty himself. Handy knock clap

Wonder if he will go on with it ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 3:33 pm

kingraf wrote:Why would Chris Morris take the new ball though

Perhaps Morkel prefers the other end ?

Lively first over ! Four boundaries...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 3:38 pm

But no ...Rabada takes it up. I know Morkel bowled a few not so long ago ; but I'd have thought he'd be up for a few with the new one. Maybe just giving him a couple more overs to rest for a final fling for the day.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 3:38 pm

This partnership has changed the dynamic need a wicket for an even day
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 3:43 pm

Chris Morris isn't having a good day
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 3:55 pm

Stokes has launched a remarkable onslaught on this second new ball...forty five runs coming from five overs : can happen when the bowlers are tired at end of day , I guess.
SA may be glad they aren't going to get the full ninety overs in today !

Here's Morkel now Headscratch

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 3:58 pm

Chrus Morris back for the final over
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 4:04 pm

It looked like it was gonna be a 280-5 kinda day. At which point I'd have called honours even. But Stokes has pulled off a remarkable display of pyrotechnics which has put the ball firmly in England's favour. Need to get them all out for less 400 tomorrow morning
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 4:05 pm

England have shut up shop now though.

Blimey - Morris got one to leap at him then !  He has certainly gone round the park in this spell , but he keeps running in...finished with a maiden.

But England back in the driver's seat with this partnership.  I did feel the last session might produce a few runs : having only four real bowlers on a hot day does leave the danger of some tired stuff in the evening.

SA will want some good new ball work in the morning.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 4:07 pm

That has to go down as one of the worst bits of captaincy you will ever see in Test Cricket, having England 5 down for little over 200 persisting with the part timers against two players you don't want getting set. The new ball comes and instead of going with Morkel you go with the two inexperienced seemers who subsequently are on the receiving end of a brutal Stokes/Bairstow counter punch. You cannot let Stokes get in against the likes of Van Zyl, you need to attack him from the off whether the new ball is near or not.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 4:10 pm

We were MILES behind the over rate then. Don't think Amla had much choice.

Can't figure out why Morne didn't open the bowling maybe he had a niggle. Only bowled an over.
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 4:18 pm

That's why you pick Stokes. Has a hint of the Flintoff match winner in him, has a tendency to make things happen.
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 4:22 pm

We need to start utilising Stokes as a batting all-rounder, the insistence of seeing him as a genuine all-rounder has lessened his impact as a batsmen.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 4:28 pm

Those quick runs in that last session makes it England'side day. Some quite bizarre captaincy by Amla in who he gave the new ball to and allowing Stokes and Bairstow to settle into a rhythm facing part-time bowlers for about an hour.

Tomorrow England will want to reach lunch on around 400 for 6 and tea for around 475 if possible. They would then hope to test out the nerve of the Saffers batsmen and reduce them to around 75 for 2 at close.

South Africa will have other plans they would hope to skittle England out for under 400 by lunch. They'd aim to bat with more confidence and reach tea for about 80 for 1 and close no worse than around 150 for 3.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 4:38 pm

With the two at the crease and the batting to come, 475 is more realistic at Tea, SA won't be able to contain the run rate so will have to hope they skittle them out before Lunch.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 5:18 pm

an interesting day. Pitch has more pace and bounce than previous Test, and faster outfield, so runs easier to score. England will be disappointed that none of their top 4 went on to make a big score. Pleased to see Hales get a score, should ease some of the pressure on him. Thought he played very nicely upto his fifty, and then seemed a little unsure, before getting a very good ball to be fair. Root needs to stop getting out to nothing shots. Taylor got undone by a nice bit of bowling IMO: ball swung a bit and was full enough to invite the drive. Stokes and Bairstow have played very nicely indeed, particularly the former. It was always possible that against an inexperienced 4-man attack the final session would see plenty of runs, and so it proved. England in the stronger position, runs on the board and all that, against an SA batting line-up that doesn't look too hot.

For SA, Morkel looked very weary at times. Piedt did a good job, and think Rabada, while still raw, looks a real prospect. Morris looks a good slip fielder, but not much of a bowler at this level, and Amla's captaincy was puzzling at times (particularly when Root got out). Yes, the over-rate was awful, and may have prompted some of the moves, but still. Not sure why Rabada bowled 1.4 overs after tea and wasn't seen again until the last half-hour...

Important first session tomorrow, but moreso for SA you feel, they need quick wickets to get back into this...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 5:21 pm

Decent start from England. Somewhat disappointing that all four of the top order got starts, but none of them kicked on to a massive score which is what this wicket - and a depleted South African bowling attack - invites you to do.

Excellent of Stokes to produce another fine knock.

Another 183 for England to get which would place them in a secure position. The lower order are all naturally attacking players, so batting for another 40-50 overs should see them to that illustrious 500 mark.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 7:58 pm

England's day. A score of 317 could be far too much for this South African lineup. Besides AB and Elgar, they surely have got a potential batsman in Quinton de Kock, and Chris Morris might be able to hit a few lower down the order. However with van Zyl, Faf and the struggling Amla and the inexperienced Bavuma, there are far too many passengers in that lineup to make a match out of it. And England aren't done yet, there is still Ali and Broad to come, and 400 is a very realistic score on this track from here on. England would be hoping that they can score 400 and some more, as Stokes and Bairstow are well set. If one of them goes on to make a big one, 450, or even 500 aren't beyond England.
That last session produced far too many runs for South Africa's comfort though they managed to get Root and Taylor....... They would be hoping that Morkel will be back to his best tomorrow and can strike early, and if they manage a couple of early wickets, they can still restrict England to under 400. And hopefully someone will stand up in that batting lineup to try and make a match out of it.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 8:04 pm

England posting a 50+ opening partnership. That has become as rare as a South African innings above 214 in recent times! Cook couldn't go on and convert his start into something substantive. I haven't been a fan of Alex Hales, and this innings hasn't changed things a great deal. A good effort from him nevertheless, and that should give him a few more opportunities to try and establish himself in the side. Another solid contribution from the much maligned Nic Compton, and he also a hit a 6 in that innings! But Compton has to be disappointed that after getting himself in in 3 out of 3 innings, he couldn't go on and score a big one yet. When Joe Root doesn't score tons, he scores 50s, but he has reasons not to be happy with the conversion rate, though he continues to do an overall fabulous job for his side. And what an innings from Ben Stokes. Unlike many, I have been an early supporter, and very pleased to be proven right. He's not averaging 50 with the bat and 20 with the ball, but at this point of time, he's the 2nd best test all-rounder in the world after Shakib Al Hasan.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 8:12 pm

I was glad to see South Africa picking young Kagiso Rabada. He would have been more suited to an attack that contained Dale Steyn along with Morne Morkel, but he still bowled well, and unlike in India, he has the rewards to show for his efforts with those 3 wickets. Morne Morkel bowled well, but hasn't looked on top of his game. South Africa needed Morne to his straps right away for this game as the bowling attack otherwise is far too inexperienced....... Chris Morris is enegertic, and I can understand South Africa opting for the possible lower order runs that he might be able to score under the circumstances. But I've read some pretty exciting things about the Viljoen chap and would have loved to see him in action. Faf and van Zyl are wasting places in the playing side, Morris could have offered better run scoring possibilities than those 2, and that would have given them a 5 man attack. But South African way is the more methodical....... Dane Piedt bowled alright mostly. But on a first day track, there is not a lot more that he could have done overall.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 8:16 pm

As many have already pointed out, some strange captaincy from Amla. Far too many overs from the parttimers at a critical time in the match, letting Stokes and Bairstow settle in. And then not utilizing the new ball with Morkel right away. KPF has mentioned it a few times, and I have to agree, Hashim Amla isn't the man to lead the South African test side. The captaincy is affecting his batting, and he doesn't look a very tactical captain, and he's no Graeme Smith like inspirational and impactful personality either.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 9:59 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Not sure why Rabada bowled 1.4 overs after tea and wasn't seen again until the last half-hour...

They had overbowled him in the first two sessions, and he was struggling with cramp it seemed ( a lot of physio going on down the boundary)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 10:40 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:Not sure why Rabada bowled 1.4 overs after tea and wasn't seen again until the last half-hour...

They had overbowled him in the first two sessions, and he was struggling with cramp it seemed ( a lot of physio going on down the boundary)

Right, that might explain it I guess.

For all my criticism of Amla's captaincy - and I still don't think he's really captaincy material - I feel some sympathy for him today. Morkel was subpar, and at times looked rather weary (bowled quite a bit in the previous game, hot conditions). Morris wasn't looking particularly threatening, and while Piedt was keeping things tight he didn't look like running through England. With that, it's understandable that he kept Rabada going a bit too long at times. With only four bowlers, his options were limited. Van Zyl I actually think is a decent enough option for a few tight overs, he doesn't bowl quickly by any stretch of the imagination, but he keeps a nagging line and length and bowls very few bad balls, so not all that easy to get after, as seen in the previous Test. However, it should never be more than a couple of overs here and there to give his seamers a rest or try to "buy" a wicket. Certainly not a regular fifth bowler. As for Elgar, he may have picked up a few in helpful conditions in India, but on a day one pitch not doing much he's a pie-chucker. So with only four bowlers and some bits-and-bobs it's not easy, particularly with one of your main bowlers looking tired, and another not offering much threat.

Still, you do wonder if Amla's really got the makings of even a decent captain. His fielding is sub-standard, so he doesn't inspire much to raise the intensity, and he seems a quiet chap, so hardly imposing himself. Add in his batting troubles, and you have problems. I get the feeling he was made captain by default, due to De Villers giving it up (in Tests) and Du Plessis not being judged ready. For some reason, bowlers are just not considered for captaincy at all nowadays, so he was the only realistic option...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 10:46 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:We need to start utilising Stokes as a batting all-rounder, the insistence of seeing him as a genuine all-rounder has lessened his impact as a batsmen.

I'd agree with this, his batting far superior to his bowling. Think he's an adequate enough 4th seamer though.

He seems to love batting on pitches with more bounce and pace in them too
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 12:28 am

Olly wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:We need to start utilising Stokes as a batting all-rounder, the insistence of seeing him as a genuine all-rounder has lessened his impact as a batsmen.

I'd agree with this, his batting far superior to his bowling. Think he's an adequate enough 4th seamer though.

He seems to love batting on pitches with more bounce and pace in them too

Good point.

I also think he tends to concentrate better when there is a little pressure on when he comes in : he can be rather careless when the team seems to be in a sound position. Was pleased to see the way he responded to the situation today.

Still I can't see that batting him at six is in any way not recognizing him as a batsman or lessening his impact. He is in the team as an allrounder ; and it is important for England that he does a regular job as a bowler as well - his presence in the attack is a guard against just what has afflicted the four man SA bowling unit in this series so far.
I think he will gain a bit more consistency in both areas as he goes on. He has a good deal of talent in each , and I expect his overall statistics to improve with time - though he will probably always be more notable for his game changing capacity than in Kallis-like reliability.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 12:33 am

guildfordbat wrote:Very interestingly poised at 185/4 off 61 overs. I have to leave it there as I head out for the New Year football derby - Cards v Shots. For those who don't follow the lower leagues that's Woking (the Cardinals) v Aldershot Town. You guys who only follow the Premier League don't know what you're missing. The banter / abuse hurled at the Shots and their fans is worth the price of admission alone! Back here this (UK) evening.

Well, England ended up comfortably winning the final session and ultimately the first day by taking 132 off the last 26 overs for the loss of just one wicket (Root). Stokes' aggression heavily responsible for that although I'm sure SA's attack of only 4 frontline bowlers and insufficient experience more than played a part. Bairstow also again bringing useful runs to the table.

Btw, the Cards won but not nearly as easily as they should have done. They didn't force things enough when on top. Maybe a lesson there for Amla.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 3:18 am

I am with MFC in having some sympathy for Amla (though I also don't think he is a natural captain) A hot day , two inexperienced seamers and the senior paceman perhaps not at his absolute physical best either...the last thing he wants is for Morkel to join Steyn and Philander in the sick bay...
I think he might have been well advised to utilize van Zyl for a few overs earlier in the day in order not to overburden his strike bowlers : but these are delicate judgements. When is it right to sit back , when do you press? ...and with a limited attack , so easy to go wrong. Certainly he had little option but to bowl the part timers prior to the new ball or he'd have had no one remotely fresh to take it...as it was , Morris got shredded. At least Morkel wasn't bowled into the ground , so he should be capable of a good spell in the morning - perhaps South Africa's last chance to get a foot in this match.

Of course he may also have done better to keep the new ball for tomorrow - but I suspect that would be viewed as over defensive !

It is easy to be critical of an under resourced captain ...but sometimes there are "least worst" choices and no good ones... While the commentators complain ; much as they do when a third or fourth slip is deemed to be "missing" - rather ignoring the need to give the bowler some protection ...in the box , thirteen fielders are always available Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 9:12 am

Amazing from Stokes! This is why England are investing in his talent

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 9:24 am

This pair are ripping the Saffers attack apart. Stokes is seeing the ball like a football and Bairstow has impressed in his stoic support. The partnership nears 200 at around a run a ball as the score rattles past 400. Could it get any worse than this for South Africa? Silly thing to say but they need a good old-fashioned England collapse and fast.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 9:28 am

Tuned in about 15 minutes ago. Couldn't have gone much better, could it?!

Over 400 on the board, Stokes on fire and Bairstow riding shotgun. Incidentally, Bairstow is currently the leading run scorer in this series although Stokes will overtake him shortly at the going rate.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 9:33 am

That is simply outstanding by Stokes, one of the finest test innings i've ever seen, he's raced along playing authentic cricket shots too, playing like this he looks special just needs to do it more often.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 9:35 am

Bairstow really is in an unfortunate position though. As a batsman alone is form of late merits a place in the side but because his wicket-keeping is continuously under scrutiny there will always be those calling for Buttler to return.

One thing I prefer about Bairstow behind the stumps is that he is much more vocal than Buttler which is always good to hear. Words of encouragement for the bowlers and in appeals.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 9:51 am

I'm sure the stats experts will be filling in records later...but I imagine this is already the fastest 200 partnership between two gingers Smile

Not sure cricinfo keeps those.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 9:58 am

I just wonder if this has the makings of the fastest double century in test cricket?
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 10:03 am

Astle holds the record off 153 balls so he'll be a little bit off that record.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 10:06 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Astle holds the record off 153 balls so he'll be a little bit off that record.

He could equal it with two sixes in his next two balls. Shocked
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 10:08 am

Well not now.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 10:15 am

alfie wrote:I am with MFC in having some sympathy for Amla (though I also don't think he is a natural captain) A hot day , two inexperienced seamers and the senior paceman perhaps not at his absolute physical best either...the last thing he wants is for Morkel to join Steyn and Philander in the sick bay...
I think he might have been well advised to utilize van Zyl for a few overs earlier in the day in order not to overburden his strike bowlers : but these are delicate judgements. When is it right to sit back , when do you press? ...and with a limited attack , so easy to go wrong. Certainly he had little option but to bowl the part timers prior to the new ball or he'd have had no one remotely fresh to take it...as it was , Morris got shredded. At least Morkel wasn't bowled into the ground , so he should be capable of a good spell in the morning - perhaps South Africa's last chance to get a foot in this match.

Of course he may also have done better to keep the new ball for tomorrow - but I suspect that would be viewed as over defensive !

It is easy to be critical of an under resourced captain ...but sometimes there are "least worst" choices and no good ones...  While the commentators complain ; much as they do when a third or fourth slip is deemed to be "missing"  - rather ignoring the need to give the bowler some protection ...in the box , thirteen fielders are always available Smile

Hi Alfie - I accept that with the bowling hand that Amla was dealt (? chose to be dealt), his options were not going to be unlimited throughout the day. Do feel though with England at 223/5, South Africa were on top and that was the time to really go for it. That may have backfired and caused problems down the line but as we're seeing now (and, as per our posts yesterday, this isn't complete hindsight) there were always dangers of SA picking only 4 frontline bowlers and the risk then imo would have been worth taking. Besides, you know better than most that nothing gives a bowler more energy than a wicket!

As for Amla not being a natural captain, that was what came across from the comments previously made to me by that highly intelligent young Surrey cricketer, as posted on the First Test thread. Worth emphasising again that the comments were highly admiring and respectful about him as a player and an individual,

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 10:16 am

Stokes now scored the most runs of any England player ever in a session of test cricket. It will definitely be the fastest 200 by any England player if he makes it.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 10:21 am

What a double century by Ben Stokes. Fastest at Newlands. England now approaching 200 runs for this session with no wickets down.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 10:21 am

Superlative innings by Stokes. Even Raf may have to think again.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 10:28 am

alfie wrote:Stokes greets the new ball with a sumptuous on drive...

Another fifty partnership....followed by Stokes going to fifty himself. Handy knock clap

Wonder if he will go on with it ?

I don't usually quote myself Smile

But I think he answered my question...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 10:33 am

Sensational Stokes, very important Bairstow gets to his 100 now, about time he converted one of these many starts.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 10:34 am

Remarkable session .

Just missed the 200 for the 25 overs bowled...and Bairstow will have to lunch on 95.

But Stokes has given an astonishing display this morning Bubbly

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 10:36 am

well what a session for England! quite pleased now I set my alarm to catch the start Very Happy

simply a stunning display of clean hitting from Stokes clap clap clap

also excellent support from Bairstow who went about his business quietly and classily, really growing into that n°7 spot clap

well ahead of Craig's route map for the day Wink

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 10:42 am

having said that, and yes it's easy to criticise, but pretty poor from SA this morning. Starting with Morris instead of Rabada was odd, and there seemed to be no real plan to Stokes other than "stick five or six men on the boundary and hope he hits one in the air". Could have gone wide of off stump with a 7-2 field, had Piedt bowl wide of leg stump into the marks (he still bowled quite straight from over the wicket), mix it up with more yorkers, slower balls, sustained short ball attack. At least try to stick to a plan for a bit...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 10:44 am

Someone told me they'd pick Woakes over Stokes? Whistle
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next