The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2nd Test, South Africa vs England; Cape Town 2nd-6th January

+23
robbo277
KP_fan
ShahenshahG
dyrewolfe
king_carlos
Corporalhumblebucket
VTR
CaledonianCraig
JDizzle
Good Golly I'm Olly
GSC
Hammersmith harrier
LivinginItaly
guildfordbat
alfie
Gooseberry
SimonofSurrey
sirfredperry
msp83
Duty281
kingraf
Mad for Chelsea
LondonTiger
27 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

2nd Test, South Africa vs England; Cape Town 2nd-6th January - Page 9 Empty 2nd Test, South Africa vs England; Cape Town 2nd-6th January

Post by LondonTiger Fri 01 Jan 2016, 1:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

South Africa (from):
H Amla (c), Q De Kock (wkt), AB De Villiers (wkt), K Abbott, T Bavuma, JP Duminy, F Du Plessis, D Elgar, M Morkel, C Morris, D Piedt, Rabada, R Rossouw, S Van Zyl, H Viljoen.

England (from):
A Cook (c), A Hales, N Compton, J Root, J Taylor, B Stokes, J Bairstow (wkt), M Ali, C Woakes, S Broad, S Finn, J Anderson, S Patel, C Jordan, M Footitt, J Butler, G Ballance.

Umpires: A Dar (Pak), B Oxenford (Aus)

Third umpire: R Tucker (Aus)

Match referee: R Madugalle (Sri Lanka)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

2nd Test, South Africa vs England; Cape Town 2nd-6th January - Page 9 Empty Re: 2nd Test, South Africa vs England; Cape Town 2nd-6th January

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 06 Jan 2016, 12:50 pm

Just been pointed out on the live text that SA might fancy chasing 180 in 20 overs.

de Kock is a limited overs opener, du Plessis is the T20 skipper and de Villiers is capable of pretty much anything...

If they can get off to a rapid start (England's bowlers trying too hard to get wickets and gifting them easy runs) they might just do it.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

2nd Test, South Africa vs England; Cape Town 2nd-6th January - Page 9 Empty Re: 2nd Test, South Africa vs England; Cape Town 2nd-6th January

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 06 Jan 2016, 12:56 pm

Bairstow survives a stumping appeal after coming down the track to Elgar.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 06 Jan 2016, 12:57 pm

I want broad to come in and go off for a p1ss again
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 06 Jan 2016, 12:58 pm

Ah , Craig ...

I have never disagreed that the draw is the likely outcome : just that referring to it as "cast iron" rather devalues the efforts currently being made by Bairstow and Ali.
While there is time for a result , there is pressure on them , trust me. Bit less on us , in our arm chairs.

Close stumping then ! Bairstow relieved to survive and celebrates with a boundary to take the lead past 150.

And it is , believe it or not , coming on to rain ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:04 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:Just been pointed out on the live text that SA might fancy chasing 180 in 20 overs.

de Kock is a limited overs opener, du Plessis is the T20 skipper and de Villiers is capable of pretty much anything...

If they can get off to a rapid start (England's bowlers trying too hard to get wickets and gifting them easy runs) they might just do it.

Big differences from t20 though.

*Wearing fifth day pitch not made-for-batting flat strip
*Bowlers not restricted to four overs
*No field restrictions
*They don't call silly wides for anything an inch outside leg stump...

Proper cricket

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:11 pm

I don't think the draw was stone wall once the sixth wicket fell. If one of these two went half an hour ago that would have left Broad who is very hit and miss, Anderson, who averaged six last year, and Finn who is 11. This was good rearguard. Its not quite Adelaide 2012 or Wanderers 1995, but a good steadying job regardless. I suspect if SA get the last four sticks quickly after tea they'll go at whatever the target is, but the game is gone.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:12 pm

alfie wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:Just been pointed out on the live text that SA might fancy chasing 180 in 20 overs.

*No field restrictions

Proper cricket

True - my thinking was that our bowlers (and fielding) might inadvertently make things easy for them. Wasn't trying to compare the two forms of the game, as such. Wink

Bairstow and Ali doing a good job of steadying the ship and keeping the scoreboard ticking along. If they can keep going until tea, that would pretty much confirm the draw. Can't see Cook declaring unless we get over 200 and by that time SA just wouldn't have enough time to chase.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:13 pm

Phew - fair play to these two, they came in under immense pressure and now have the highest and longest partnership of the innings. England are realistically within about 15 overs of escaping this now

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:14 pm

kingraf wrote:I don't think the draw was stone wall once the sixth wicket fell. If one of these two went half an hour ago that would have left Broad who is very hit and miss, Anderson, who averaged six last year, and Finn who is 11. This was good rearguard. Its not quite Adelaide 2012 or Wanderers 1995, but a good steadying job regardless. I suspect if SA get the last four sticks quickly after tea they'll go at whatever the target is, but the game is gone.

Pretty much agree with all that , raf.

Much credit to SA for injecting life into what could have been a boring last day. Should set up the next match nicely OK

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:17 pm

You'd say SA need England out within 10 overs or so to force this.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:21 pm

I think overall, the bowling team can be pretty satisfied. They have about 80 caps put together (and Morkel contributes 80% of that!) and had England at 116/6 and 220/5. Of course the first innings went to hell after a Stokes pyro but we've done well. definitely optimistic, especially if Steyn comes back. Morne is good bowler, but bless him he cant lead am attack. Morris as well has shown he can seriously reverse it, which is a good thing to possess as a bowler who will probably never see the new ball again.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:35 pm

I quite like Morris. Abbott lite , perhaps ...but he can bat ; a hell of a slip catcher - and came back from some heavy punishment in the first innings to grab a big wicket this morning. A willing workhorse ; may lose his spot to Steyn now ; but when the great man calls it quits he may well get some more chances. Depending on how Philander comes back , and the other young bowlers developing...but you need a squad of fast bowlers.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:41 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:
alfie wrote:

*No field restrictions

Proper cricket

True - my thinking was that our bowlers (and fielding) might inadvertently make things easy for them. Wasn't trying to compare the two forms of the game, as such. Wink

Bairstow and Ali doing a good job of steadying the ship and keeping the scoreboard ticking along. If they can keep going until tea, that would pretty much confirm the draw. Can't see Cook declaring unless we get over 200 and by that time SA just wouldn't have enough time to chase.

Oh , I took your point , dyrewolfe...reasonable considerations. Just pointing out that while nine per over in t20 is normal , it is almost impossible in Tests for more than a few overs.

Cook won't be declaring. When they've had enough it will be handshakes all round .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:46 pm

alfie wrote:I quite like Morris.  Abbott lite , perhaps ...but he can bat ; a hell of a slip catcher - and came back from some heavy punishment in the first innings to grab a big wicket this morning.  A willing workhorse ; may lose his spot to Steyn now ; but when the great man calls it quits he may well get some more chances.  Depending on how Philander comes back , and the other young bowlers developing...but you need a squad of fast bowlers.

That is the one thing we have.
Dwaine Pretorious
Hardus Viljoen
Dane Paterson
Abbott
Olivier is a bit military, but his stats read well.
Gqamane

I'm very optimistic about our bowling pace stock. Its our batters that have the hair pulling out!!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:48 pm

Rain / bad light stops play. Looks like thats going to be it.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:48 pm

Haven't seen most of those , raf. So where does Morris rate in your pecking order ?

...as bad light takes the players off. Common sense says draw stumps and open the beers...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:50 pm

Bad Light saves Eng Very Happy
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:51 pm

Simply wasn't enough in this pitch to keep the momentum of a collapse was there. Early doors there was a new ball plus overcast conditions. Middle session Stokes did as Stokes does and Taylor over committed on his front ball, but by 12pm the wicket had calmed. Still, given the unholy mess we were in five sessions into this game, this is what Peter Siddle would call a good old fashioned victorious draw
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:53 pm

Looks like that is it - coming back out would be a waste of time now. I would actually give JB man of the match for his unbeaten 150, keeping for over 200 overs and seeing off the bowling under a lot of pressure to ensure it was a draw

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:53 pm

KP_fan wrote:Bad Light saves Eng Very Happy

Actually I think it was Amla wanting to bring Morkel back on...that was when the umps decided it was too dark! Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:56 pm

As I said yesterday, we didn't deserve to lose that one, and with the terrible catching didn't deserve to win it either!

An opportunity missed I think, not very often we will rack up over 600 with a lot of time left in the game

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:56 pm

Think Stokes has to be MoTM for his incredible exhibition of hitting...but on another day Bairstow or Amla would have been sure recipients for their efforts.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:58 pm

alfie wrote:Haven't seen most of those , raf.  So where does Morris rate in your pecking order ?

...as bad light takes the players off.  Common sense says draw stumps and open the beers...

To be honest I was surprised he got the call up. I suppose he had the inside lane due to his past ODI and T20 caps, but he'd hardly shined well enough there to suggest that he could take that into the long game. Is known as a good batter which is probably what got him the nod over guys I reckon are probably better than him as bowlers. if there was a pecking order in the country I suppose it would look like

Steyn
Philander
Morkel
Rabada
=
Abbot
Viljoen
Paterson
Morris

So about eighth, and I couldn't make a case for him to be any higher
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:02 pm

VTR wrote:As I said yesterday, we didn't deserve to lose that one, and with the terrible catching didn't deserve to win it either!

An opportunity missed I think, not very often we will rack up over 600 with a lot of time left in the game

Agreed. Hope the coaches make the players work on their fielding skills between now and the next match. Could have had a 1st innings lead of 100-150 which would have made all the difference.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:02 pm

Despite the generally flat deck , there was plenty to enjoy in this match...yes , quiet periods for sure - but the Stokes/Bairstow fireworks , the Amla masterclass and Bavuma making a very stylish hundred (which did start under a bit of pressure , remember) ...and them this surprisingly tense couple of sessions to finish .

To be honest , I rather doubt England could have forced a win even had they held some chances and dismissed SA for 450 or so : they'd have had to set a pretty stiff target on the good pitch , and unless SA had folded they would have had a tough job finishing things. Especially as it seems there wouldn't be any serious overs after the last tea break.

On to Wanderers...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:04 pm

Sounds like Morris was picked because he could bat a bit. Shouldn't underestimate his contribution yesterday either - SA were wobbling when he came in. If they'd have conceded a lead of 150 England might have had 60 overs at them today, roles reversed!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:06 pm

Fair enough then re Morris , raf ...

But you'll miss his slip catching Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:08 pm

alfie wrote:Fair enough then re Morris , raf ...

But you'll miss his slip catching Smile

them bits and pieces sure can catch I'll tell you that much!

on a serious note, two stunning grabs, but I'd like to think if it's Faf there, who normally stands there they both go in the mitt anyway
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:10 pm

That looks it now, after a very nervy last day for England. In retrospect, why did Cook declare on the second day when England had scored so quickly that 700 was there for the taking? Also, England were one up, well on top and SA were on their knees.
Having said that, if England had taken their catches they would have been in a very strong position.
Similarly at Adelaide in 2006/07, Flintoff (admittedly one down in the series and not one up) chose to declare and England collapsed on the last day.
Must say I had visions of England losing today having scored 600 which would probably rank as their most devastating defeat ever.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:11 pm

The question here is how would England have faired bowling in the conditions and state of the pitch that South Africa had today. I'd say the same or maybe more would have happened so I wouldn't put this down as some sort of a collapse - sloppy at times perhaps but there were snorting deliveries as well.

A draw was nailed on for me once South Africa avoided the follow-on and that is how it turned out.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:13 pm

VTR wrote:Sounds like Morris was picked because he could bat a bit. Shouldn't underestimate his contribution yesterday either - SA were wobbling when he came in. If they'd have conceded a lead of 150 England might have had 60 overs at them today, roles reversed!

Not at all, but at 450-6, its a different sort of wobble to 100-6. Regardless, I'm of the volition that if you're picking your bowlers because they can bat #8 then your 1-7 need to be looked at.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:17 pm

sirfredperry wrote:That looks it now, after a very nervy last day for England. In retrospect, why did Cook declare on the second day when England had scored so quickly that 700 was there for the taking? Also, England were one up, well on top and SA were on their knees.

Should have given them 10 minutes at the end of day 2. Essentially SA's aim over the last 3 days has been to tire out England - successful shown by the dropped catches, poor concentration whilst batting.

Good couple of days for SA but England look much stronger in my opinion. Steyn couldn't bowl in the nets yesterday according to TV so will never be 100% for the Wanderers. Philander has to be rusty and or a risk. 7 days on a beach now for the England boys to recharge knowing they have overs under the belt.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:20 pm

I am no expert on the batting merits of Piedt/Morkel/Rabada but I thought that was a weak tail which might have led the selectors to rightly or wrongly add some insurance to the batting at 8

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:20 pm

VTR wrote:Sounds like Morris was picked because he could bat a bit. Shouldn't underestimate his contribution yesterday either - SA were wobbling when he came in. If they'd have conceded a lead of 150 England might have had 60 overs at them today, roles reversed!

Thats what I was thinking. If SA had had to bat this morning and lost a clutch of early wickets...maybe having lost 1 or 2 the previous day...

Of course thats also based on the assumption that Amla wasn't dropped when he was 70-odd.

Okay the rain and light may still have prevented a result, but we'd have been a lot closer to a win, rather than meandering (via a short scary mini-collapse) to a draw.

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:24 pm

Even if it stops raining/clears up and this chase came to be, it's surely very, very improbable in a Test Match, with no fielding restrictions and far greater leeway for what isn't a wide. Your e-mail essentially presupposes 5 very big 'ifs':
  • De Kock comes off/doesn't get out cheaply
    Du Plessis ditto
    De Villiers ditto
    Someone gets SAf off to a quick start
    The England attack - despite all their one day experience - bowl stupidly/badly over a period of several overs

An interesting scenario, but too many 'ifs' for me.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:47 pm

Pitch inspection in 15 mins. Absolute madness that the game is still technically live at this stage!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:47 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:The question here is how would England have faired bowling in the conditions and state of the pitch that South Africa had today. I'd say the same or maybe more would have happened so I wouldn't put this down as some sort of a collapse - sloppy at times perhaps but there were snorting deliveries as well.

A draw was nailed on for me once South Africa avoided the follow-on and that is how it turned out.

Sloppy is the operative word about the England batting atm, headed by Joe Root who keeps getting in then throwing his wicket away. He is not the only one (Compton has managed a sequence of starts this series but been out to wild shots that suggest his low scoring rate effects him) but in many ways the worst. He is in fantastic form, but not kicking on.

Sloppiest dismissal today though must go to Ben Stokes, though cook needs to look at just how often he is being caught down the leg side.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:50 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:
VTR wrote:As I said yesterday, we didn't deserve to lose that one, and with the terrible catching didn't deserve to win it either!

Agreed. Hope the coaches make the players work on their fielding skills between now and the next match. Could have had a 1st innings lead of 100-150 which would have made all the difference.

Would have been bigger.

If England had caught ABDV for 5, Amla for 76, du Plessis for 61 and Bavuma for 77, SA top 7 would have made 272 (with de Kock's 5) - leaving the last 4 and extras trying to make up 350 odd runs. Morris may have still made runs (although I think he was dropped too), but it would be different for him batting with the tail and not with Bavuma.

Dropped catches have cost us this game and a chance to really take control of this series.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 06 Jan 2016, 3:01 pm

All done...... England contrived to produce some artificial excitement on the last day by going through the motions of a typical collapse, but as the first 4 days produced only 13 wickets on this garbage road of a track, there just wasn't any time, and bad light/rain brought about a deserved end to the game.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 06 Jan 2016, 3:17 pm

This test was drawn but South Africa will feel they have steadied a rocking ship with this performance. Their batsmen have rediscovered some form (particularly Amla) which will help them a lot.You feel that somebody in the bowling line-up has to stand up and take the leading man role. England will see this as an opportunity lost after such a massive big score in the first innings and catches dropped but Stokes and Bairstow can take much satisfaction and confidence from the match.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 06 Jan 2016, 3:36 pm

Reports say Amla has resigned the SA captaincy. Bit of a shock. I thought only England captains resigned during/after Ev SA series.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 06 Jan 2016, 3:42 pm

Right decision I think. Dont think he was a natural captain and it was harming both his and SAs form.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 06 Jan 2016, 3:47 pm

It's official. Amla standing down as skipper to concentrate on his batting. Captaincy passes to AB. But will HIS form now suffer ?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 06 Jan 2016, 3:53 pm

Given him the captaincy to keep him in test cricket fopr a few years.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by protea438 Wed 06 Jan 2016, 3:53 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
sirfredperry wrote:That looks it now, after a very nervy last day for England. In retrospect, why did Cook declare on the second day when England had scored so quickly that 700 was there for the taking? Also, England were one up, well on top and SA were on their knees.

Should have given them 10 minutes at the end of day 2. Essentially SA's aim over the last 3 days has been to tire out England - successful shown by the dropped catches, poor concentration whilst batting.

Good couple of days for SA but England look much stronger in my opinion. Steyn couldn't bowl in the nets yesterday according to TV so will never be 100% for the Wanderers. Philander has to be rusty and or a risk. 7 days on a beach now for the England boys to recharge knowing they have overs under the belt.

Not so sure, some of those dropped catches were earlier on so "tiredness" is a poor excuse. Englands opening pair are performing as poor as the Proteas openers (albeit Elgar scored a ton). Proteas bowlers also have over under their belt.

protea438

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 06 Jan 2016, 4:04 pm

AB as captain is going to be Lulz. Don't let his batting fool you. Alastair Cook has more creativity.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by protea438 Wed 06 Jan 2016, 4:09 pm

kingraf wrote:AB as captain is going to be Lulz. Don't let his batting fool you. Alastair Cook has more creativity.

Is the word "creativity" the most over used/ misused word in sport. If that was creativity I must get a new dictionary.

protea438

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 06 Jan 2016, 4:17 pm

South African cricket going through a rather tumultuous period. And even after the arresting of the onfield slide here, the troubles are far from over.
Amla resigns as captain, AB to take over....... Hopefully de Villiers doesn't face an Amla like batting slump.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 06 Jan 2016, 4:25 pm

sirfredperry wrote:It's official. Amla standing down as skipper to concentrate on his batting. Captaincy passes to AB. But will HIS form now suffer ?

That came a bit out of the blue.

kingraf can probably shed more light on this but my impression I got was that captaincy didn't rest easy with him. One of the very best batsmen in the world but just not the natural leader-type in my opinion.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by protea438 Wed 06 Jan 2016, 4:26 pm

msp83 wrote:South African cricket going through a rather tumultuous period. And even after the arresting of the onfield slide here, the troubles are far from over.
Amla resigns as captain, AB to take over....... Hopefully de Villiers doesn't face an Amla like batting slump.......

I know its slightly different but AB's batting wasnt really affected in ODI's

protea438

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next