What do you get if you add £5.6bn and £6.4bn?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What do you get if you add £5.6bn and £6.4bn? - Page 2 Empty What do you get if you add £5.6bn and £6.4bn?

Post by TopHat24/7 on Tue 05 Jan 2016, 2:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

Answer:

Spoiler:
The combined spending on foreign aid of Japan and France respectively

Which is approximately the same amount as the UK alone, despite their combined GDP being two and a half times greater.

The only country that gives more is the US - however the UK gives 4 times more as a % of GDP.

So:

Is this, as DC would say, something for us to be proud of and to be staunchly defending or, when we have incidents like the recent floods, 'food banks', housing shortages and poor post-service veteran care, a shocking disregard for domestic concerns which should take precedent as a Goverment's primary duty of care should be to its country's citizens?

This is not meant to be an OP on immigration, but an opportunity to discuss things like the UK's perception in the world and its importance, how aid spending affects this and the UK in general and whether there is a case for re-analysing foreign aid spending (not just quantum but destination - e.g. countries where it's known to be squandered by despot leaders and/or countries with substantial economies in their own right and multi-billion dollar 'ego' spending programmes [space]).

Bit quiet on here at the moment, what say you v2??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

What do you get if you add £5.6bn and £6.4bn? - Page 2 Empty Re: What do you get if you add £5.6bn and £6.4bn?

Post by seanmichaels on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 3:57 pm

Rowley wrote:Can we stop comparing tax avoidance with pensions. A pension is not set up with the intention of reducing your tax liability now, it is set up so you can eat, clothe and support yourself in your post work years. The government make it tax deductible so you're encouraged to do it and they don't have to foot the bill in your  old age. It's mutually beneficial. Tax avoidance isn't.

Errr, it absolutely is a way of reducing your tax bill. The tax relief is an incentive to save, albeit the thresholds have been reduced significantly in the last 5 years.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

What do you get if you add £5.6bn and £6.4bn? - Page 2 Empty Re: What do you get if you add £5.6bn and £6.4bn?

Post by Rowley on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 4:01 pm

I am not saying it isn't. I am saying that is not the main driver behind having a prnsuon. It is a side benefit. Being able to eat and live in old age is the driver behind having a pension.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:30 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:But again, there's surely a difference between not voluntarily paying loads more money in taxes for an individual person, and big corporations employing people to actively look for loopholes in the taxation laws to ensure they pay as little tax as possible? The key phrase in your post is "meant to", which could have various interpretations. One could easily argue that by the spirit of the laws Amazon, etc. are "meant to" pay a whole lot more tax than they do... Out of interest, you work in the private sector right Toppy, do you declare your own tax? Or does it come straight out of your paycheck?

Private sector, yes. And almost my entire income tax is paid via PAYE, straight out of my pay cheque before I even see it, which is great.

I also own a buy to let flat (now a second, but this won't be taxed till next Jan) therefore I've had to declare this additional income on a self-assessment form each year the last 3 years.

They make it about as easy, clear and straightforward as nuclear physics, but I fill the forms out as best I can (online), all totally honestly, and they calculate my resultant tax bill which I then pay.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:31 am

seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:Can we stop comparing tax avoidance with pensions. A pension is not set up with the intention of reducing your tax liability now, it is set up so you can eat, clothe and support yourself in your post work years. The government make it tax deductible so you're encouraged to do it and they don't have to foot the bill in your  old age. It's mutually beneficial. Tax avoidance isn't.

Errr, it absolutely is a way of reducing your tax bill. The tax relief is an incentive to save, albeit the thresholds have been reduced significantly in the last 5 years.

Haven't they just!

Another brutal butt r*ping for ambitious and achieving middle-higher income people.

Voted blue, got red!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 7:44 pm

Duty281 wrote:The greatest problem with the United Kingdom's foreign aid bill - aside from the obvious, the country can't afford it - is the arbitrary target of spending 0.7% of GDP on said bill.

This leaves the foreign aid bill to be an uncoordinated mess. Rather than correctly calibrating what can be spent, which nations need it etc., this country simply aims to give a certain amount of money away with little rhyme or reason.

A petition to rectify this issue has amassed 130,000 signatures in a very short time - which means that it should be debated in Parliament in due course.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/125692

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum