The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 6:00 pm

Forgetting the fact fees are exorbitant....I've read disturbing stories of relatives missing their loved ones final moments through re-filling the meter...

Looking at 2/2.50 an hour in some places..


Personally speaking coins for the slot aren't always prevalent in one's mind when your Wife's water breaks or your kid is screaming in pain..

Let's stop this nonsense....Losing a loved one or seeing one in pain is enough without having the pee taken..

Hospital parking should be free..period....or at the least a minimal charge for the day...

Million and millions made out of people's misery....and it ain't right..


Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 38647
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by Duty281 on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 6:11 pm

Standard UKIP common-sense policy. thumbsup

Duty281

Posts : 20680
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 24
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 7:10 pm

Where would we be without UKIP !!

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 38647
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 7:14 pm

Are there any Hospitals out there where you have to pay before you park, from experience they're mostly pay upon leaving, it is scandalous you have to pay but your argument is a bit airy fairy.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 7:40 pm

Visited my mother in law in Macclesfield hospital last year and had to pay and display....The stories i've read are the same...

Nothing airy fairy at all.....

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 38647
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by Pr4wn on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 8:15 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUFJmMQpGHs

The Tories hard at work.

Pr4wn
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4947
Join date : 2011-03-09
Location : Manila, Philippines

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by Duty281 on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 9:25 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Where would we be without UKIP !!

No EU referendum for a start!

Duty281

Posts : 20680
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 24
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by Scottrf on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 10:22 am

If they were free, people would park for work, shopping etc.

Scottrf

Posts : 13944
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by TopHat24/7 on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 12:10 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Are there any Hospitals out there where you have to pay before you park, from experience they're mostly pay upon leaving, it is scandalous you have to pay but your argument is a bit airy fairy.

North Middlesex UH, from memory, which is a biggy. Think they do have pay-by-phone or similar though, which removes the need for topping up etc.

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 35
Location : London

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by TopHat24/7 on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 12:13 pm

Scottrf wrote:If they were free, people would park for work, shopping etc.

And just take the p!ss in general, basically.

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 35
Location : London

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 2:24 pm

Scottrf wrote:If they were free, people would park for work, shopping etc.

That's just conjecture....

What isn't conjecture is that hospital car parking fees are ripping people off and an inconvenience for worried families with other things on their mind..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 38647
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by Scottrf on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 3:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:If they were free, people would park for work, shopping etc.

That's just conjecture....
It's obvious.

Scottrf

Posts : 13944
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by navyblueshorts on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 3:40 pm

With you on this one Truss. They're generally a cash cow and not a very subtle one at that. My wife and I spent ~14 months (FFS!) with our newborn twins in a hospital paed ICU and we were parked there nearly every day for at least 8 hours a day. Eventually, they made some special dispensation but not before we'd paid loads.

Scottrf wrote:If they were free, people would park for work, shopping etc.
That's a lazy reason not to look at making it free. Should be easy to stop that.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8178
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by TopHat24/7 on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 3:44 pm

How? Time limits??

Get your ticket 'stamped' by a Dr?

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 35
Location : London

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by seanmichaels on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 3:45 pm

Old man has to pay everytime. Few years back he was on a 28 day course of radiotherapy, it soon tots up.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Posts : 13319
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Virgin

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by ShahenshahG on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 3:45 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:With you on this one Truss. They're generally a cash cow and not a very subtle one at that. My wife and I spent ~14 months (FFS!) with our newborn twins in a hospital paed ICU and we were parked there nearly every day for at least 8 hours a day. Eventually, they made some special dispensation but not before we'd paid loads.

Scottrf wrote:If they were free, people would park for work, shopping etc.
That's a lazy reason not to look at making it free. Should be easy to stop that.

Then you'd have to use hospital time and funds to police it. Prices should be lower certainly and maybe waived in the case of a designated carer/s such as yourself but making it free and policing it using hospital funds (or not policing it - therefore using valuable spaces by inconsiderate b*stards) are both wrong.

ShahenshahG

Posts : 15637
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 33
Location : The happiest man a morning ever sees

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by Pr4wn on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 3:50 pm

As said in the link I posted above, designated carers not having to pay hospital parking fees was due to be debated in the commons last year. It was filibustered by Philip Davies MP. What a despicable human being.

Pr4wn
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4947
Join date : 2011-03-09
Location : Manila, Philippines

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by ShahenshahG on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 3:55 pm

Yeah just saw it, what a pr*ck

ShahenshahG

Posts : 15637
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 33
Location : The happiest man a morning ever sees

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 5:08 pm

Filibustering is a cowardly thing..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 38647
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by navyblueshorts on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 9:24 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:How? Time limits??

Get your ticket 'stamped' by a Dr?

ShahenshahG wrote:Then you'd have to use hospital time and funds to police it. Prices should be lower certainly and maybe waived in the case of a designated carer/s such as yourself but making it free and policing it using hospital funds (or not policing it - therefore using valuable spaces by inconsiderate b*stards) are both wrong.
I'm not an IT specialist but how hard can it be to set up something where those legitimately at hospital have their charge waived/voided?? I have an appointment in Feb at a hospital and I chose the clinic via the NHS online booking system. What's to stop, for example, them being able to generate a printable, bar-coded ticket when I book, that I can scan (only on the day of my appointment) for exit when leaving the car park on the day I attend?
There's got to be shed loads of ways of doing this sort of thing. Truth is, hospital parking is an underhand way of NHS Trusts getting extra cash from vulnerable people who're a captive market and have little choice in many instances.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8178
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by ShahenshahG on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 6:55 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:How? Time limits??

Get your ticket 'stamped' by a Dr?

ShahenshahG wrote:Then you'd have to use hospital time and funds to police it. Prices should be lower certainly and maybe waived in the case of a designated carer/s such as yourself but making it free and policing it using hospital funds (or not policing it - therefore using valuable spaces by inconsiderate b*stards) are both wrong.
I'm not an IT specialist but how hard can it be to set up something where those legitimately at hospital have their charge waived/voided?? I have an appointment in Feb at a hospital and I chose the clinic via the NHS online booking system. What's to stop, for example, them being able to generate a printable, bar-coded ticket when I book, that I can scan (only on the day of my appointment) for exit when leaving the car park on the day I attend?
There's got to be shed loads of ways of doing this sort of thing. Truth is, hospital parking is an underhand way of NHS Trusts getting extra cash from vulnerable people who're a captive market and have little choice in many instances.

Again I don't disagree, i've already said they should waive the fee for designated carer/s and/or staff and set the fee low for everyone else. I'm not an I.T specialist either but I did start work in security in and around car parks when I was 17 and as I went up the ranks started getting involved in meetings/cost and rules for security related issues such as access control, fire safety, first aid and other HSE issues and only this June moved away from all that into working security for a medical firm. In all the meetings policing and maintenance costs for even a smallish car park ran into hundreds of thousands of pounds, the I.T systems were unreliable and the equipment prone to failure. Then there were camera costs, survey costs, lighting costs, sign costs. It's just not feasible to have them for free. Keep them as they are but lower the price to minimum or waive them for certain people.

ShahenshahG

Posts : 15637
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 33
Location : The happiest man a morning ever sees

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by rick_dagless on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 7:57 am

I work a lot with large scale IT contracts, and I an assure you that having a system such as that would cost a Sh*t load, to develop, implement, maintain let alone regulate and keep the security safe.

rick_dagless
rik
rik

Posts : 10963
Join date : 2013-04-29
Location : Feeling souper

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by TopHat24/7 on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 10:58 am

Suppose that's the thing that's always overlooked - headline grabbers focus on "Hospital Makes £2m pa from Car Park Charges" rather than "Hospital has £2m pa revenue from car pak charges, less £750k maintenance & policing costs, £150k payroll and £50k general overheads".

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 35
Location : London

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by navyblueshorts on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 1:05 pm

rick_dagless wrote:I work a lot with large scale IT contracts, and I an assure you that having a system such as that would cost a Sh*t load, to develop, implement, maintain let alone regulate and keep the security safe.
How much would a "Sh*t load" be in this context? Possibly says more about current IT than anything else...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8178
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by navyblueshorts on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 1:09 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Suppose that's the thing that's always overlooked - headline grabbers focus on "Hospital Makes £2m pa from Car Park Charges" rather than "Hospital has £2m pa revenue from car pak charges, less £750k maintenance & policing costs, £150k payroll and £50k general overheads".
That's a fair point. Someone has to pay for it. I blame the Government.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8178
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by TopHat24/7 on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:03 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Suppose that's the thing that's always overlooked - headline grabbers focus on "Hospital Makes £2m pa from Car Park Charges" rather than "Hospital has £2m pa revenue from car pak charges, less £750k maintenance & policing costs, £150k payroll and £50k general overheads".
That's a fair point. Someone has to pay for it. I blame the Government.

I blame civic dishonesty.

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 35
Location : London

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by navyblueshorts on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 2:25 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Suppose that's the thing that's always overlooked - headline grabbers focus on "Hospital Makes £2m pa from Car Park Charges" rather than "Hospital has £2m pa revenue from car pak charges, less £750k maintenance & policing costs, £150k payroll and £50k general overheads".
That's a fair point. Someone has to pay for it. I blame the Government.

I blame civic dishonesty.
Nah. Government is far better. Rip monies from budgets and then say someone still has to make ends meet while blaming the same someone when blowback is coming from the peed off public. I suppose I have to hand it to them.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8178
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by TopHat24/7 on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 2:51 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Suppose that's the thing that's always overlooked - headline grabbers focus on "Hospital Makes £2m pa from Car Park Charges" rather than "Hospital has £2m pa revenue from car pak charges, less £750k maintenance & policing costs, £150k payroll and £50k general overheads".
That's a fair point. Someone has to pay for it. I blame the Government.

I blame civic dishonesty.
Nah. Government is far better. Rip monies from budgets and then say someone still has to make ends meet while blaming the same someone when blowback is coming from the peed off public. I suppose I have to hand it to them.

Or maybe it wouldn't be an issue if people could be trusted to behave responsibly.

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 35
Location : London

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by navyblueshorts on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 3:35 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Suppose that's the thing that's always overlooked - headline grabbers focus on "Hospital Makes £2m pa from Car Park Charges" rather than "Hospital has £2m pa revenue from car pak charges, less £750k maintenance & policing costs, £150k payroll and £50k general overheads".
That's a fair point. Someone has to pay for it. I blame the Government.

I blame civic dishonesty.
Nah. Government is far better. Rip monies from budgets and then say someone still has to make ends meet while blaming the same someone when blowback is coming from the peed off public. I suppose I have to hand it to them.

Or maybe it wouldn't be an issue if people could be trusted to behave responsibly.
Are you talking about parking being abused by those who have no business at a hospital? Or something else?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8178
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by TopHat24/7 on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 3:39 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Suppose that's the thing that's always overlooked - headline grabbers focus on "Hospital Makes £2m pa from Car Park Charges" rather than "Hospital has £2m pa revenue from car pak charges, less £750k maintenance & policing costs, £150k payroll and £50k general overheads".
That's a fair point. Someone has to pay for it. I blame the Government.

I blame civic dishonesty.
Nah. Government is far better. Rip monies from budgets and then say someone still has to make ends meet while blaming the same someone when blowback is coming from the peed off public. I suppose I have to hand it to them.

Or maybe it wouldn't be an issue if people could be trusted to behave responsibly.
Are you talking about parking being abused by those who have no business at a hospital? Or something else?

All sorts.

Re your funding cuts point, you think hospitals have only being charging serious cash since 2015? Or a few years earlier. Has been going on most of this century.

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 35
Location : London

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by navyblueshorts on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 4:06 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Suppose that's the thing that's always overlooked - headline grabbers focus on "Hospital Makes £2m pa from Car Park Charges" rather than "Hospital has £2m pa revenue from car pak charges, less £750k maintenance & policing costs, £150k payroll and £50k general overheads".
That's a fair point. Someone has to pay for it. I blame the Government.

I blame civic dishonesty.
Nah. Government is far better. Rip monies from budgets and then say someone still has to make ends meet while blaming the same someone when blowback is coming from the peed off public. I suppose I have to hand it to them.

Or maybe it wouldn't be an issue if people could be trusted to behave responsibly.
Are you talking about parking being abused by those who have no business at a hospital? Or something else?

All sorts.

Re your funding cuts point, you think hospitals have only being charging serious cash since 2015? Or a few years earlier.  Has been going on most of this century.
"All sorts" is a big vague and hard to comment on. Of course I know hospitals have been charging since at least as far back as 2000. It may not have been the original reason to introduce parking charges (may just have been some money-grabbing ex-private sector administrator) but my point was trying to be that if Government don't stump up enough money for the service they tell us we're getting, the hospital probably feels obliged to get it somehow and charging to park may well be a part of that.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8178
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by TopHat24/7 on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 4:10 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Suppose that's the thing that's always overlooked - headline grabbers focus on "Hospital Makes £2m pa from Car Park Charges" rather than "Hospital has £2m pa revenue from car pak charges, less £750k maintenance & policing costs, £150k payroll and £50k general overheads".
That's a fair point. Someone has to pay for it. I blame the Government.

I blame civic dishonesty.
Nah. Government is far better. Rip monies from budgets and then say someone still has to make ends meet while blaming the same someone when blowback is coming from the peed off public. I suppose I have to hand it to them.

Or maybe it wouldn't be an issue if people could be trusted to behave responsibly.
Are you talking about parking being abused by those who have no business at a hospital? Or something else?

All sorts.

Re your funding cuts point, you think hospitals have only being charging serious cash since 2015? Or a few years earlier.  Has been going on most of this century.
"All sorts" is a big vague and hard to comment on. Of course I know hospitals have been charging since at least as far back as 2000. It may not have been the original reason to introduce parking charges (may just have been some money-grabbing ex-private sector administrator) but my point was trying to be that if Government don't stump up enough money for the service they tell us we're getting, the hospital probably feels obliged to get it somehow and charging to park may well be a part of that.

Not that I agree, but the transfer of a small modicum of the funding pain to those who make greatest use, isn't the worst idea in the world.

Then again, I support tuition fees for similar reasons.

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 35
Location : London

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by navyblueshorts on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 5:08 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Not that I agree, but the transfer of a small modicum of the funding pain to those who make greatest use, isn't the worst idea in the world.

Then again, I support tuition fees for similar reasons.
Maybe, but it's not a 'modicum' really for the chronically ill or their family who're visiting when it's >£10/day to park. Also, it's probably preying on many who have most need of the NHS but are least able to suffer this 'modicum of funding pain'.
How about we scale the parking charges depending on the car/Chelsea tractor that one turns up in?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8178
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by TopHat24/7 on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 5:20 pm

It is a modicum compared to the entire national health budget. Pennies, in fact.

Though I think the scrapping of free or reduced rate parking for primary carers is another unpleasant decision I dislike that's been made by this gov't.

Would fully support scaled charges, to reply to your flippancy, however it wouldn't get anywhere - have you seen the average hospital car park/A&E waiting room/GP waiting room??

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 35
Location : London

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by navyblueshorts on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 5:24 pm

I was only being the teensiest bit flippant. You're right though, it wouldn't help much.

The charging may only be a modicum cf. the NHS budget, but perhaps not cf. the budget of the OAP on state pension who's perhaps visiting his chronically ill wife etc but I get the impression we actually agree on that.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8178
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

The scandal of hospital parking charges...  Empty Re: The scandal of hospital parking charges...

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum