The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rafa Nadal settles ages old GOAT debate once and for all

+13
Belovedluckyboy
CAS
TRuffin
Matchpoint
Jahu
AdamT
hawkeye
It Must Be Love
lags72
Haddie-nuff
paulcz
HM Murdock
socal1976
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rafa Nadal settles ages old GOAT debate once and for all  - Page 2 Empty Rafa Nadal settles ages old GOAT debate once and for all

Post by socal1976 Sun 10 Jan 2016, 5:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

Few could sense the tectonic shifts in the tennis world that took place at the historic Doha Open. Some might say Doha? Well yes, just like you may have said Gettysburg? on July 1 or 2nd of 1863 when a few confederate soldiers looking for shoes went to a small town in Pennsylvania and stumbled on the advanced guard of the entire Union Army, who could tell that this seemingly non-descript farm town would be the stage for what would become the location of the biggest battle in the western hemisphere and signal the end of human bondage for a whole continent. Similarly, no one could have guessed that the age old GOAT debate, which has raged across the interwebs like a raging inferno would be so unequivocally resolved.

"Well, for the match is easy to analyse," Nadal told reporters.

"I played against a player who did everything perfect. I know nobody playing tennis like this ever. Since I know this sport I never saw somebody playing at this level."

The man who first handed witness Fed at Rome 2005 and at Wimby 07 and 08, the man himself who ran roughshod over the same opposition in 2013 to seemingly regain the thrown,  has now stated unequivocally that no one has ever played at the level that Novak is currently playing at EVER. Or for as long as he has been in the game. This statement clearly includes himself and Federer. Well ladies and gentleman all of us who argued Fed or Nadal for so long were equally wrong, at least according to one of the chief guys in the fight the answer is neither, its GOATOVIC. I am sure somewhere right now Hawkeye is in deep despair and mourning.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Rafa Nadal settles ages old GOAT debate once and for all  - Page 2 Empty Re: Rafa Nadal settles ages old GOAT debate once and for all

Post by Guest Tue 12 Jan 2016, 4:19 pm

I didn't actually have a view on this.

I agree with the sentiment of the quote provided.

You needn't look no further than J Mac for how opinion changes. He started with Laver, then anointed Sampras as the new GOAT, then Federer in 2009 and then to Nadal.

Not saying Nadal will drastically change his views like Mac over time.

I was merely jesting on your comment that started "Like I said" followed by "He said" made me chuckle.

Back to top Go down

Rafa Nadal settles ages old GOAT debate once and for all  - Page 2 Empty Re: Rafa Nadal settles ages old GOAT debate once and for all

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 12 Jan 2016, 4:26 pm

OK but I think this whole thread was created by the OP as a load of self indulgent clap trap.. personally. Yes have your day Novak we salute you but remember the one certainty in life is that nothing remains the same
clap notworthy BubblyWink Wink Wink Wink Wink :

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 12 Jan 2016, 4:33 pm

Good old GOAT always gives us a pop. Perhaps its fair to say that most gens build on the old one, and so the standard overall always increases, by which case this new Novak may be the toughest game yet to break down, which is why anachronistic comparison always goes nowhere.

One day, Ill mod GOAT simulator so you can put the GOAT favourites faces on the goat, and leave one obvious one out for fun Very Happy

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 12 Jan 2016, 4:56 pm

temporary21 wrote:Good old GOAT always gives us a pop. Perhaps its fair to say that most gens build on the old one, and so the standard overall always increases,

Yeah, this. The top 100 all play at a higher level than Laver ever did and in 100 years they'll all play at a higher level than Djoko (who does indeed seem to be playing at the highest level seen so far)

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 12 Jan 2016, 6:47 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:OK but I think this whole thread was created by the OP as a load of self indulgent clap trap.. personally. Yes have your day Novak we salute you but remember the one certainty in life is that nothing remains the same

Haddie if I don't indulge myself well then who will? I knew that Nadal settling the GOAT debate would have its reverberations and would take time to digest but it is clear that one player able to judge is Nadal. I would say that Djokovic and Nadal have faced the toughest competition of any players in their time on tour because they have played such full schedules and dominated in recent years. So Nadal is infinitely well placed to determine that the mantle should now be passed to GOATOVIC!!!!!

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 12 Jan 2016, 7:32 pm

socal1976 wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:OK but I think this whole thread was created by the OP as a load of self indulgent clap trap.. personally. Yes have your day Novak we salute you but remember the one certainty in life is that nothing remains the same

Haddie if I don't indulge myself well then who will? I knew that Nadal settling the GOAT debate would have its reverberations and would take time to digest but it is clear that one player able to judge is Nadal. I would say that Djokovic and Nadal have faced the toughest competition of any players in their time on tour because they have played such full schedules and dominated in recent years. So Nadal is infinitely well placed to determine that the mantle should now be passed to GOATOVIC!!!!!

YOU do the man no favours socal .... his ego is not as big as yours and believe me that takes some believing
But I will remind you yet again of the words of one man who was bigger than both of you
]The one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is unchangeable or certain"
And he was a world leader not  tennis GOAT

Just don't get too smug ]Socal  because I for one,  look forward to seeing you here when he loses... as he surely will Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 12 Jan 2016, 8:11 pm

Tennis is always improving whether it be physical fitness, racket technology, or the fact that today's youngsters grow up watching the tactics, shot selection, or whatever else the current generation is bringing to the game.

Everyone today is standing on the shoulders of those of yesteryear.

In other words "Djokovic is currently playing the best tennis ever" is only slightly more meaningful than "Djokovic is the current no 1". The same thing happened with Nadal himself perhaps, certainly with Federer, certainly with Sampras, probably with McEnroe, Connors and Borg, and others going even further back.

Now if 20 years from now, we are all saying "No-one as yet had reached the level that Djokovic produced 20 years ago" then it can mean something.

Every no 1 who stays in that position for a while increases the level a little bit. The future GOAT will increase it by a large amount.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2