The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bigger, leaner, stronger

+3
kingraf
superflyweight
Kareem61
7 posters

Go down

Bigger, leaner, stronger Empty Bigger, leaner, stronger

Post by Kareem61 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 12:48 pm

I've recently purchased Bigger, Leaner, Stronger by Mike Matthews on the recommendation of a good friend and I'm finding it very interesting reading. To give you a bit of background, I'm 31 and have trained on and off for several years never really achieving any particularly good results. This is down to a combination of poor diet and nutrition, bad training and over reliance on supplements not to forget the occasional lack of dedication. All that being said, with the purchase of this new book, I've really got my appetite for training back and am determined to do it right this time. The book is a big proponent of high weight, low rep training with compound exercises, something I've never really done before. Has anyone got any tips on how to start off squating and deadlifting? Just for reference, the gym I use only has a smith machine for squats, no rack. Any input would be great. Cheers.

Last edited by Kareem61 on Wed 13 Jan 2016, 12:53 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Bad spelling)

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Bigger, leaner, stronger Empty Re: Bigger, leaner, stronger

Post by superflyweight Wed 13 Jan 2016, 4:06 pm

Hi Kareem

Couple of guys on the boxing board used to argue all the time about whether or not it was good form to use a Smith Machine for squats.  It got a bit heated a time - proper dick swinging contest.  Cant properly remember who both guys were - think one was Truss, but the other one was a right bell end.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 13 Jan 2016, 7:42 pm

I don't understand the question Kareem. Are you asking how to squat or how to use a Smith machine for squat and deadlift? I know a few of the really big guys don't like it, but I don't think theres anything wrong with it. The fact that the machine keeps the weights moving in a straight line imo makes it better early on as it forces you to do the movement right.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 13 Jan 2016, 7:54 pm

I don't understand the question Kareem. Are you asking how to squat or how to use a Smith machine for squat and deadlift? I know a few of the really big guys don't like it, but I don't think theres anything wrong with it. The fact that the machine keeps the weights moving in a straight line imo makes it better early on as it forces you to do the movement right.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 12:28 am

Sorry, basically I'm asking for advice on approaching squating and dead lifting for the first time. How heavy? How many reps etc

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 14 Jan 2016, 9:13 am

Smith Machines are excellent for hack squats.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:55 am

superflyweight wrote:Hi Kareem

Couple of guys on the boxing board used to argue all the time about whether or not it was good form to use a Smith Machine for squats.  It got a bit heated a time - proper dick swinging contest.  Cant properly remember who both guys were - think one was Truss, but the other one was a right bell end.

Good call Super........Smith machine is better if you want to just train quads and take the other muscles out.......Normal squat is more of a compound (stresses pretty much everything)......But ideally you want to make sure it's the "target muscle" that gets hit and that isn't always the case with compound movements....

Smith squats............Place your feet a foot forward from the bar and bring your body down to parallel and come up again...

Beginners - Less weight and more reps until you've nailed the technique...

Good luck..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:29 am

Is the programme your using something like the 5 x 5, where you only do the compound lifts - Deads, Squats, Bench, and Press?

Ive totally rejigged my routine and am following this programme now and im loving it.
Its tough and you know you have a workout...and I will probably change after 8 weeks, have a little break then go back to it as it will hit you hard.

But if your starting out and looking to follow a basic programme that really will build your strength up...try stronglifts 5 x 5, bill stars 5 x 5 etc. They are excellent for beginners to intermediates.

Im a very experienced trainer, yet even im enjoying it.

PS, make sure you get full instructions on the lifts from the instructors in your gym.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:57 am

Thanks for the responses guys, finished reading the book and starting the programme from Sunday. Think I'll book a session with the gym instructors like you suggest GF, don't want to get injured.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Jan 2016, 9:31 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
superflyweight wrote:Hi Kareem

Good call Super........Smith machine is better if you want to just train quads and take the other muscles out.......Normal squat is more of a compound (stresses pretty much everything)......But ideally you want to make sure it's the "target muscle" that gets hit and that isn't always the case with compound movements....

Smith squats............Place your feet a foot forward from the bar and bring your body down to parallel and come up again...

Beginners - Less weight and more reps until you've nailed the technique...

Good luck..

Now where's strongback when you need him? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Mon 18 Jan 2016, 11:51 am

Little update, did my first deadlift session today. 60kg plus whatever the bar weighs. Wow it's destroyed me! Aching like hell! I'm concern my technique isn't perfect though, no issues with the initial lift but feeling a strain when lowering the weight back to the floor. Any thoughts?

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 18 Jan 2016, 11:53 am

How many sets? How many reps?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Mon 18 Jan 2016, 12:02 pm

3 sets, 6 reps first set, 5 reps for sets 2 and 3

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 18 Jan 2016, 5:15 pm

Kareem61 wrote:Little update, did my first deadlift session today. 60kg plus whatever the bar weighs. Wow it's destroyed me! Aching like hell! I'm concern my technique isn't perfect though, no issues with the initial lift but feeling a strain when lowering the weight back to the floor. Any thoughts?

You might have a pretty naturally strong back and weak abs.....People forget the part the abs play in lifts like squats and deadlift....even bench to a lesser extent..

You might be rounding your back.......Or not keeping the form for the negative part of the rep....

If it continues try doing T-Bar rows instead......

Compounds are great but better for powerlifters.........Bodybuilders can't always hit the target muscle with them properly though they will give you a base and more mass..

My back has never looked better since I stopped deadlifting......Got to about 352 for ten and sacked it.....Never looked back..

Biggest myth in "bodybuilding" is that you HAVE to do certain exercises..

See how you go..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Mon 18 Jan 2016, 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Mon 18 Jan 2016, 11:44 pm

I''be been thinking about it all day and I think you've probably hit the nail on the head Truss with regards to me not maintaining form for the negative part of the rep. I'm going to drop the weight a little and practice the technique some more till it feels right.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 19 Jan 2016, 1:20 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Kareem61 wrote:Little update, did my first deadlift session today. 60kg plus whatever the bar weighs. Wow it's destroyed me! Aching like hell! I'm concern my technique isn't perfect though, no issues with the initial lift but feeling a strain when lowering the weight back to the floor. Any thoughts?

You might have a pretty naturally strong back

He certainly does have a Strongback.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Tue 19 Jan 2016, 10:45 am

Hahaha hope that's not an accusation tino!

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 20 Jan 2016, 10:32 am

I Stay away from Smith Machine squats. If you learn to squat to proper depth and build a strong core, you should have no problem. Don't ever do half squats like bodybuilders. They will damage your knees.

I don't understand why someone wouldn't just leg press instead of smith machine squat. Easier to use and imo less chance of injury. Both exercises hit the same muscles.

The bodybuilders in my gym, use hack squats and leg press. You can do both on the one machine. I do leg press now and again, but I prefer squats. I like the feeling of nearly passing out, when doing a heavy set of squats/deads. It is why I prefer powerlifting. Each to their own.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 20 Jan 2016, 1:07 pm

6 time Mr O Dorian Yates knew s**t I guess..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 20 Jan 2016, 1:15 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:6 time Mr O Dorian Yates knew s**t I guess..

I don't care about Pro bodybuilders who were juiced to the gills.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 20 Jan 2016, 1:17 pm

AdamT wrote:I Stay away from Smith Machine squats. If you learn to squat to proper depth and build a strong core, you should have no problem. Don't ever do half squats like bodybuilders. They will damage your knees.

I don't understand why someone wouldn't just leg press instead of smith machine squat. Easier to use and imo less chance of injury. Both exercises hit the same muscles.

The bodybuilders in my gym, use hack squats and leg press. You can do both on the one machine. I do leg press now and again, but I prefer squats. I like the feeling of nearly passing out, when doing a heavy set of squats/deads. It is why I prefer powerlifting. Each to their own.

Same feeling can be achieved by tightening a belt round your neck during a wa*k.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 20 Jan 2016, 1:18 pm

I wouldn't know. I guess I can do that on my off days Cool

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 20 Jan 2016, 1:23 pm

My tip is use a high quality belt.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 20 Jan 2016, 1:33 pm

Are you experienced??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jan 2016, 1:41 pm

AdamT wrote:I Stay away from Smith Machine squats. If you learn to squat to proper depth and build a strong core, you should have no problem. Don't ever do half squats like bodybuilders. They will damage your knees.

When you say half squats do you mean to 90 degrees or when you see guys with massive weight on the bar just dipping there ass? Recently I have been reading that ass to the grass full squats are meant to be better for you knees.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 20 Jan 2016, 1:42 pm

Between 90 degrees and dipping knees.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 20 Jan 2016, 1:46 pm

sohotnot wrote:

When you say half squats do you mean to 90 degrees or when you see guys with massive weight on the bar just dipping there ass? Recently I have been reading that ass to the grass full squats are meant to be better for you knees.

Yes they are much better for your knees. Many weightlifters squat atg daily and have healthy knees.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 20 Jan 2016, 2:17 pm

AdamT wrote:

So Arnie, Zane and everyone else is to be ignored .....

okay.. Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 20 Jan 2016, 2:18 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
AdamT wrote:

So Arnie, Zane and everyone else is to be ignored .....

okay.. Rolling Eyes

No I respect those guys loads to be fair.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jan 2016, 2:19 pm

So going to 90 degrees is still considered a full squat? When I start with weights again I would like to try ass to the grass but just practicing it without weight is not easy! Flexibility is the issue there I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 20 Jan 2016, 2:23 pm

I would count it as full, you are taking the tension off the knees and using your glutes and hamstrings.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 20 Jan 2016, 2:43 pm

Do you bounce ???

Always used to take 2/3 seconds on the negative......I see videos of these guys basically going down like Usain Bolt and bouncing up and wonder why they aren't in hospital....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 20 Jan 2016, 2:47 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Do you bounce ???

Always used to take 2/3 seconds on the negative......I see videos of these guys basically going down like Usain Bolt and bouncing up and wonder why they aren't in hospital....

I go down quite slow, then explode from the bottom.

I do like bodybuilding Truss, just not a fan of the last 20 or so years. Classic was better.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 20 Jan 2016, 2:53 pm

I agree with you................Frank Zane will always be my favorite.....Muscle and class...

You not find it hard going to failure on Squats.........I could always squat more than I could deadlift but I was too scared to go down with 380 on my back for the last rep If I wasn't 100% sure I could get one more..

Not easy spotting for squats..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 20 Jan 2016, 3:10 pm

I respect Dorian and Ronnie etc, but Zane, Olivia etc were the best. Tiny waists and great physique. They weren't natural but looked more achievable. HGH and insulin use is terrible.

I rarely go for a max on squat. We have no safety pins, so if I have no spotter, I have to be a good judge when I'm at, or close to failure.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 20 Jan 2016, 3:42 pm

AdamT wrote:

I do like bodybuilding Truss, just not a fan of the last 20 or so years. Classic was better.

Shocked

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 20 Jan 2016, 3:50 pm

superflyweight wrote:
AdamT wrote:

Shocked

Are you Peter Kay??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 03 Feb 2016, 1:54 pm

Kareem61 wrote:I've recently purchased Bigger, Leaner, Stronger by Mike Matthews on the recommendation of a good friend and I'm finding it very interesting reading. To give you a bit of background, I'm 31 and have trained on and off for several years never really achieving any particularly good results. This is down to a combination of poor diet and nutrition, bad training and over reliance on supplements not to forget the occasional lack of dedication. All that being said, with the purchase of this new book, I've really got my appetite for training back and am determined to do it right this time. The book is a big proponent of high weight, low rep training with compound exercises, something I've never really done before. Has anyone got any tips on how to start off squating and deadlifting? Just for reference, the gym I use only has a smith machine for squats, no rack. Any input would be great. Cheers.

I know you won't read this because you foed me (boo hoo)

You don't get results because you are not committed. This isn't knitting or any other of the hobbies you most likely get up to. Getting a good body, or strength takes a lot of hard work and patience.

How about you find a programme or whatever and try sticking to it for long enough. If you do that, you should get results.

I think you're a vvanker and I know you think likewise. But some advice for you anyway. Personally I don't think you have it in you and should take up boxercise or something like all the other fannies.

Have a good day Very Happy

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Feb 2016, 2:02 pm

What a surprise, Adam not being a very nice person again....

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 03 Feb 2016, 2:04 pm

DAVE667 wrote:What a surprise, Adam not being a very nice person again....

I am a horrible git, what's it to you, you satanic metal loving loser?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down