The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan going down WBC mandatory route.

+22
themadworldofjb
Marky
Valero's Conscience
catchweight
Scottrf
shenglong2015
AdamT
milkyboy
Rowley
Hammersmith harrier
mobilemaster8
BoxingFan88
Nico the gman
Steffan
Coxy001
Guest82
Rodney
Baby faced assassin
hazharrison
Pedro147
TRUSSMAN66
Jermaine2015
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Khan going down WBC mandatory route.  - Page 2 Empty Khan going down WBC mandatory route.

Post by Jermaine2015 Wed 20 Jan 2016, 2:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Former WBA(Super)/IBF super lightweight champion Amir Khan has confirmed he will fight the winner of Danny Garcia-Robert Guerrero, leaving 35 fight prospect Kell Brook high and dry. Personally I think Khan's doing the smart thing. Brook hasn't earned the right to get a payday from Khan's name. After Brook has another 10-15 tune ups maybe he'll face another top 10 ranked fighter.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Khan going down WBC mandatory route.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Khan going down WBC mandatory route.

Post by Scottrf Thu 21 Jan 2016, 11:22 am

Wake me up when he fights Brook. 4 fights in 3 years? Only 2 of them mildly interesting.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Khan going down WBC mandatory route.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Khan going down WBC mandatory route.

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 21 Jan 2016, 11:25 am

I wouldn't, I would pick Garcia by KO again.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 21 Jan 2016, 11:28 am

It depends on Khan. If Khan boxes to a game plan I think he would win.

I tell you one rematch I wouldn't back him in. That is Maidana.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Jan 2016, 11:34 am

Maidana is still nothing but a face first slugger and anyone with sense boxes him instead of fights him. His offense is easy to nullify with the attributes Khan has. He and his team are savvy enough to stick to a sensible game plan and make Maidana look like the crude plodder he is.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 21 Jan 2016, 11:37 am

He has enough in his arsenal to flatten, china chin Khan.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 21 Jan 2016, 11:48 am

AdamT wrote:
Baby faced assassin wrote:Never really got that whole Khan is some world beater who looks good against everyone untill he's clocked

Like if he was so good why is ge getting clocked so often.........makes no sense

Yes he's technically pretty good and uses his height and reach but he's getting hit by inferior fighters not because he wants to but because that's just what level he is as a fighter

Good post. He has some great advantages, that he uses to great affect. As you have mentioned, height reach and also great speed. He has learned to spoil a little when in close as well. Not great for a fan to watch, but it is a skill in itself.

He gets carless at times and leaves his chin wide open. For a fella that is so quick of hand and foot, he can be timed quite often.

He also doesn't always seem to listen to instructions and often isn't the best thinker in the ring.

I love the whole "He was destroying Garcia until he got caught."

It wasn't a lucky punch. Garcia found the weakness in Khan's defence and clocked him with great timing. Some think it was a lucky win by Garcia, I don't.
Totally agree with you about the Garcia fight, Khan comfortably won the 1st two rounds, then got dropped in the 3rd and dropped twice and stopped in the 4th,not as if Khan was heading towards a landslide points win and got caught in the 10th or 11th round by one lucky punch.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Jan 2016, 11:48 am

Khan stood in front of him last time round and Maidana still couldn't knock him down. What makes you think Khan's going to give him the chance to do it again given the way he's adapted under Hunter? Or have you heard that Maidana's suddenly been possessed by the spirit of Sugar Ray Robinson?

Think you may have dropped them weights on your head, lad.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 21 Jan 2016, 11:51 am

Do you not think Maidana has improved last few years?

I'm super strong Dave. I would never drop a weight, let alone on my head. Wink

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 21 Jan 2016, 11:52 am

How much has he adapted under Hunter? He looked great against alexander, I will give him that. I thought he looked poor against Algieri. The same guy a past it Pacquaio absolutely pasted.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Jan 2016, 12:03 pm

He's adapted enough to know not to stand in front of a one trick pony like Maidana and if he hasn't then he deserves to get KO'd

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 21 Jan 2016, 12:22 pm

To be fair, it isn't a fight that will happen. Garcia is a lot more likely.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 21 Jan 2016, 6:55 pm

I guess the winner of Garcia v Guerrero is what Haymon wants for Khan. Its a good fight for Khan, potential to be a great fight for the viewers.

Brook, well maybe he can look at actually fighting a top welterweight sometime this year now. Or else he could pose with Eddie Hearn waving a cheque at Amir Khan. Still plenty of welterweights out there not called Khan to target.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 21 Jan 2016, 7:27 pm

AdamT wrote:It depends on Khan. If Khan boxes to a game plan I think he would win.

I tell you one rematch I wouldn't back him in. That is Maidana.

Maidana would struggle to make middleweight these days. No chance of that fight happening.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 21 Jan 2016, 7:56 pm

Well Haz this is true. I was thinking more hypothetical. He could fight Chisora at Heavyweight. Everyone else has.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 21 Jan 2016, 8:06 pm

AdamT wrote:Well Haz this is true. I was thinking more hypothetical. He could fight Chisora at Heavyweight. Everyone else has.

I'd take the most recent version of Maidana to wallop Khan. Khan has looked far less powerful and sturdy since he split with Alex Ariza (funnily enough, the same thing happened to Pacquiao).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 21 Jan 2016, 8:21 pm

You must have read my mind. I was telling the brother something similar yesterday.

Khan held a better shot then too.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 22 Jan 2016, 12:51 pm

It's clear as day a lot of people hate Khan. I'm not mad on him and he's hardly a likeable guy but he has talent however avoids showing it lately to shut his critics up.

Both Brook and Khan have been a joke for the last 12 months so no point using one to bash the other:

Previous:

Brook has had every defence against a woefully sub-world class level opponent and you can't blame mandatory's for each and plenty of good fighters seem to get round this 'problem.'

Khan chased the money against Mayweather and Manny for ages (albeit seemed to back down slightly whenever the fight seemed more realistic!). His problem was made worse by not taking the fights that would have helped him get the fights he craved including Brook in a legit title fight?!?

Present:

Brook is fighting a nobody next, yes Khan should fight him but because Khan won't doesn't mean Brook has zero alternative to seek a legit contender.

Khan will also fight a no-name 10/1 underdog next and wait for the Garcia/Guerrero winner, however I wouldn't at all be surprised for him to scrap that nearer the time for sketchy reasons.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 22 Jan 2016, 1:04 pm

I don't hate Khan. I just think he is a bit full of himself and wasting a big part of his career. If he goes on to fight the winner of Garcia/Guerrero, I would be happy with that. Honestly I would support him.

I prefer Khan to Brook as a boxer, but I still think he is a bit of a diva. Khan has some great qualities. He also has some huge flaws.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Fri 22 Jan 2016, 5:19 pm

Amir Khan won Twitter today with his rants at Kell Brook Laugh

http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/amir-khan-lays-into-kell-brook-in-epic-twitter-rant/38707

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Fri 22 Jan 2016, 5:20 pm

Brook is fighting his mandatory. I think its a good thing personally. More fighters should fight their mandatories just to prove a point. Khan is an idiot. He's turning down the biggest fight of his career for some revenge he should have chased after 4 years ago.

I mean really, asking for £10 million plus upside and only giving Brook the champion £2-2.5 mil? At least Eddie has seen sense, offered 60-40 in favour of Khan.
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 22 Jan 2016, 6:05 pm

Marky wrote:Amir Khan won Twitter today with his rants at Kell Brook Laugh

http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/amir-khan-lays-into-kell-brook-in-epic-twitter-rant/38707

Seems to be as Mayweather obsessed as always, admit it Khan you won't take the fight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 24 Jan 2016, 8:27 am

Khan's a haymon fighter. Thurman v porter is set for March, Khan is garcia's mandatory. The winner of each fight each other. Brook out in the cold.
Brook is the back up plan. He's always there as a fall back fight when Khan gets sparked again. Khan just doesn't need him (yet).

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 24 Jan 2016, 10:46 am

I think Khan has more chance fighting Kelly Brook. And I reckon Kelly could take it if she gets nasty...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Sun 24 Jan 2016, 6:28 pm

Think it makes sense for Khan to fight Garcia, Garcia looked distinctively average against Guerrero last night especially when you saw how easy Thurman beat Guerrero

Garcia has a punchers chance but hasn't really shown that type of power since the matthysse fight where he just hasn't looked the fighter he was on that day
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 24 Jan 2016, 6:57 pm

If Khan beats Garcia then a unification fight with Brook is bigger. And if Khan loses to Garcia, he will still have the Brook fight as an option.

Makes financial sense to fight Garcia first.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Mon 25 Jan 2016, 8:50 pm

http://m.tmz.com/#article/2016/01/25/amir-khan-flotd-mayweather-youre-afraid/

This is why it's hard to like Khan........Mayweather is retired yet he's still banging on hes actually obsessed with him it's a little worrying
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 25 Jan 2016, 9:04 pm

Khan is a divisive character like Mayweather......So he probably feels an affinity with him..

Some will find fault no matter what he does..

Manny was regarded as one of the best fighters in the world when Floyd beat him whether it was 2009 or not.....Got no credit !!...

Alvarez has a first class record now....and has proved he's a top fighter and Floyd got no credit for it !!...

Instead he has posters editing articles to make him look bad and coming out with stuff like ...."(10/1) Murray is a great win"......"Manny v Floyd isn't worth watching because Manny is 3/1 !!!"

Khan is the same......The way he "outclassed" the tricky Petersen was quality.....No credit for it !!

Hammered Paulie who went on to have a decent revival.......No credit !!..

Yet GGG walks on water.......and he's fought stiff after stiff after stiff..

Not been able to nail a decent fight in 5 1/2 years and it's everybody elses fault..

Khan should just please himself..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 25 Jan 2016, 9:31 pm

Baby faced assassin wrote:http://m.tmz.com/#article/2016/01/25/amir-khan-flotd-mayweather-youre-afraid/

This is why it's hard to like Khan........Mayweather is retired yet he's still banging on hes actually obsessed with him it's a little worrying

Plenty of fighters have done this in the past, and plenty will in the future. It's really no big deal, hell Pacquiao made noises about fighting Mayweather after he'd announced his retirement, and I'm sure Froch is still chasing a fight with Calzaghe even now.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 25 Jan 2016, 10:06 pm

Atila wrote:If Khan beats Garcia then a unification fight with Brook is bigger. And if Khan loses to Garcia, he will still have the Brook fight as an option.

Absolutely, I've been banging this drum for a while. When its two brits fighting in an eddie 'grudge match' it's preferable one of them has a belt, but it really doesn't matter too much if one of them is coming off a loss (its a comeback, last chance saloon blah blah). Khan is the bigger name and sell, so of the two, it matters less if khan loses - he's lost before. Brook will always be there for him unless kel's career nosedives in the interim.

Of course, if Khan beats garcia and brook somehow avoids defeat against his latest canadian binman, then we have a unification showdown that will have eddie swimming in juicy strawberries.

But nah, khan's a ducker who chased dream fights he didn't deserve anyway.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 25 Jan 2016, 10:10 pm

PaulHv2 wrote:
Baby faced assassin wrote:http://m.tmz.com/#article/2016/01/25/amir-khan-flotd-mayweather-youre-afraid/

Plenty of fighters have done this in the past, and plenty will in the future. It's really no big deal, hell Pacquiao made noises about fighting Mayweather after he'd announced his retirement, and I'm sure Froch is still chasing a fight with Calzaghe even now.

does anybody really believe floyd is retired anyway? 1 fight short of 50, level with marciano? There's going to be an encore. How can a man with that ego not have one for the road.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 25 Jan 2016, 10:20 pm

milkyboy wrote:
Atila wrote:If Khan beats Garcia then a unification fight with Brook is bigger. And if Khan loses to Garcia, he will still have the Brook fight as an option.

Absolutely, I've been banging this drum for a while. When its two brits fighting in an eddie 'grudge match' it's preferable one of them has a belt, but it really doesn't matter too much if one of them is coming off a loss (its a comeback, last chance saloon blah blah). Khan is the bigger name and sell, so of the two, it matters less if khan loses - he's lost before. Brook will always be there for him unless kel's career nosedives in the interim.

Of course, if Khan beats garcia and brook somehow avoids defeat against his latest canadian binman, then we have a unification showdown that will have eddie swimming in juicy strawberries.

Still think Hearn's goading nature makes it a struggle for him to nail down fighters with "options.."..

If Frampo had looked good in his last fight he wouldn't be fighting Quigg...He'd be back Stateside..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:23 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Khan is a divisive character like Mayweather......So he probably feels an affinity with him..

Some will find fault no matter what he does..

Manny was regarded as one of the best fighters in the world when Floyd beat him whether it was 2009 or not.....Got no credit !!...

Alvarez has a first class record now....and has proved he's a top fighter and Floyd got no credit for it !!...

Instead he has posters editing articles to make him look bad and coming out with stuff like ...."(10/1) Murray is a great win"......"Manny v Floyd isn't worth watching because Manny is 3/1 !!!"

Khan is the same......The way he "outclassed" the tricky Petersen was quality.....No credit for it !!

Not been able to nail a decent fight in 5 1/2 years and it's everybody elses fault..

Khan should just please himself..

Where to start with this?

Mayweather got exactly what he deserved. He waited out Pacquiao (who would have given him a real test five years ago) and the pair of them delivered a poor fight. Everyone shelled out for Ali-Frazier 3 and ended up being burned.

Alvarez is now what he was then. He's a good fighter - not great, a little wooden - but a decent scalp. Floyd received a lot of credit for this win (from everything I read). The only criticism was that he made Alvarez weigh in at a catch weight.

This never happened and it's bizarre that you keep regurgitating it.

When exactly did Khan outclass Peterson?

Khan received the appropriate level of credit for outboxing Malignaggi (who lost to just about every half-decent fighter he faced).

This is the guy you rate as the best middleweight in the world? How do you figure that if he's fought so many stiffs? Golovkin has defeated seven RING-rated middleweight contenders (Proksa, Matthew Macklin, Curtis Stevens, Daniel Geale, Marco Antonio Rubio, Martin Murray and David Lemieux) and defended his ABC belts (which you feel are legitimate titles) 14 times, which, in your reckoning (not mine), puts him level with Monzon.

There's a difference in wanting to fight the best men in the division and have them refuse (leaving you to mop up the lower leagues) and being able to fight who you please only to be highly selective in who you actually do fight (and when you do it).

Golovkin has now been turned down by Canelo and Saunders - the only other belt holders and had Johnson pull up injured (leaving him with another ho hum fight with Matt Korobov). People don't think he walks on water but I do think they empathise with his plight. If only he had the options the likes of Mayweather had...

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:50 pm

milkyboy wrote:

Khan gets a smaller slice of the larger purse coming off a loss though. If he gets KO'd by Garcia, I'd imagine he would be looking at 50/50 with Brook (at best). Maybe the difference of £1m (if Eddie's figure of £10m is to be believed)

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2