The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

+45
R!skysports
king_carlos
tigertattie
RiscaGame
lostinwales
toml
marty2086
Tramptastic
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Margin_Walker
SRN
EST
PenfroPete
21st Century Schizoid Man
demosthenes
RuggerRadge2611
thegreenhat
Majestic83
highland_scot
Heaf
SirBurger
des
Ozzy3213
EWT Spoons
CraigS1874
Prothero
madmaccas
MacKnocked-on
nickj
Eejit
TJ
Nematode
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
BigGee
VinceWLB
Tattie Scones RRN
cakeordeath
George Carlin
Imperialbigdave
funnyExiledScot
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RDW
IanBru
49 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by RDW Wed 20 Jan 2016, 7:52 pm

Thanks Bru!

I've locked the other one

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Wed 20 Jan 2016, 7:56 pm

My word, moving pictures! There's no holding us back now, this is the future!

Good effort Bru

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 20 Jan 2016, 8:51 pm

Lovely work!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 20 Jan 2016, 9:50 pm

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country Simpsons-thumb
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 21 Jan 2016, 6:56 am

Excellent work, young Bru.

A fitting Edinburgh representative.

Dressed to excess, a manifest sense of self-importance, unjustifiable use of skincare products and clearly a little bit gay.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 21 Jan 2016, 8:50 am

I take it no one cares about Glasgow-Racing this weekend?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Thu 21 Jan 2016, 9:17 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I take it no one cares about Glasgow-Racing this weekend?

Not even Toonie

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 21 Jan 2016, 9:45 am

If Toonie has any sense at all, he'll only use the players that will be available throughout the 6N against RM92.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Thu 21 Jan 2016, 9:47 am

If it wasn't for Swinson, Glasgow would still have something to play for, imagine the loss of income from fans who would have got to Rugby Park too as opposed to the permanently sold out Scotstoun.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 21 Jan 2016, 10:16 am

Apparently 8000 tickets have been sold

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 21 Jan 2016, 10:19 am

7999 sold expecting to see Dan Carter play!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 21 Jan 2016, 10:20 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:7999 sold expecting to see Dan Carter play!

They are going to be dissapointed. I would be amazed if he plays. They will take the chance to rest a few but will still be able to put out a handy side.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 21 Jan 2016, 10:22 am

So what kind of team can we expect from Glasgow? There are 16 players in the Scotland squad but there is no need to rest them all - especially the likes of Swinson, McCarthur, Ashe, Fusaro who are outsiders for the 6N.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Thu 21 Jan 2016, 10:29 am

Believe it or not Cusack is fit, so i expect him to make the team in some kind of way, same for Grant who was rightly dropped for the last 2 games and surprisingly the scrum did well. Peterson will almost surely start too as i think Jonny Gray might be rested.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 21 Jan 2016, 12:14 pm

Toonie should just use this game to either blood young players (e.g. Cummings), use players who no-one really cares about (e.g. Weir) or give game time to those in need (e.g. Alex Dunbar).

Something like this:

1.Grant 2.Malcolm 3.Cusack 4.Peterson 5.Cummings 6.Strauss (c) 7.Blake 8.Ashe 9.Price 10.Weir 11.Lamont 12.Johnson 13.Dunbar 14.Jones 15.Murchie

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 21 Jan 2016, 12:40 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Toonie should just use this game to either blood young players (e.g. Cummings), use players who no-one really cares about (e.g. Weir) or give game time to those in need (e.g. Alex Dunbar).

Something like this:

1.Grant 2.Malcolm 3.Cusack 4.Peterson 5.Cummings 6.Strauss (c) 7.Blake 8.Ashe 9.Price 10.Weir 11.Lamont 12.Johnson 13.Dunbar 14.Jones 15.Murchie

What about the Fijian-Weegie wing or Yana? Put the Fijian bloke ahead of Lamont and Yana to start at loosehead if they are both healthy. That is still a pretty handy side.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Thu 21 Jan 2016, 12:43 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Toonie should just use this game to either blood young players (e.g. Cummings), use players who no-one really cares about (e.g. Weir) or give game time to those in need (e.g. Alex Dunbar).

Something like this:

What about the Fijian-Weegie wing or Yana? Put the Fijian bloke ahead of Lamont and Yana to start at loosehead if they are both healthy. That is still a pretty handy side.

Do you mean Junior Bulumakau. I would like to see him get more game time, but then again I would also like to have seem him called up to train with the Scotland team

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 21 Jan 2016, 12:45 pm

Yep - either or both of those ideas works well with me.

I just thought it would be good for Lamont to get another game under his belt for experience. He's also a finely tuned sprint athlete so you don't want those hamstrings to cease up. A player with his pace needs to keep running.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 21 Jan 2016, 12:45 pm

Is Big T fit? Perhaps there's no need to use Lee Jones either.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 21 Jan 2016, 1:47 pm

I also forgot; what happened to Sandy Lyle? Is he still at Glasgow? Otherwise we are short of centres and may have to put Big T at 13.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 21 Jan 2016, 1:52 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:I also forgot; what happened to Sandy Lyle? Is he still at Glasgow? Otherwise we are short of centres and may have to put Big T at 13.

The golfer? He had a bit of an attitude problem as I recall, just like Hogg.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 21 Jan 2016, 2:04 pm

Lots of speculation about the Glasgow team, but remember he needs to pick from within the euro squad, which rules out such players as Murchie and Lyle and pretty much anyone else who was injured at the begining of the season and the kids also.

Tonnie will rest a few, but will still put out a pretty strong side. A good win here could get the season rolling for Glasgow. Remember pretty much all the likely Scotland starters will be rested next weekend anyway for the Ospreys game, which very much looks like it will be a A team fixture for both sides.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 21 Jan 2016, 2:05 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:I also forgot; what happened to Sandy Lyle? Is he still at Glasgow? Otherwise we are short of centres and may have to put Big T at 13.

Been playing sevens and a few club fixtures. Don't recall him having any attitude issues.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 21 Jan 2016, 2:07 pm

BigGee wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Been playing sevens and a few club fixtures. Don't recall him having any attitude issues.

I think FES is referring to the golfer...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 21 Jan 2016, 2:11 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
BigGee wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I remember him inferring that Monty was a bit of a cheat for not correctly remembering the position of his ball when he had to go off in a thunderstorm. That did not go down to well with the big fellow!

I don't know what all the fuss was about, in my expereince all golfers cheat a bit. Monty was just silly to have got caught!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 21 Jan 2016, 3:49 pm

BigGee wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
BigGee wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I remember him inferring that Monty was a bit of a cheat for not correctly remembering the position of his ball when he had to go off in a thunderstorm. That did not go down to well with the big fellow!

I don't know what all the fuss was about, in my expereince all golfers cheat a bit. Monty was just silly to have got caught!

Didn't Lyle also refuse to finish a round at The Open one year, blaming the conditions for the fact that he couldn't play very well??

To be clear I have no issues with Fraser Lyle (the rugby player). Decent squad man and quite underrated.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 21 Jan 2016, 4:40 pm

I once lived in Sandy Lyle's house in Surrey. I was eight years old and my defining memory was that the bathroom sinks were unreasonably tall.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 21 Jan 2016, 4:41 pm

Was that not just because you were 8 years old and all sinks were tall?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 21 Jan 2016, 4:46 pm

There's that possibility...

Damn, I really wish my parents had forked out for one for these:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country Bumbo-sink
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 21 Jan 2016, 4:46 pm

Ok I'll ask the obvious question - why were you staying at Sandy Lyle's house??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 21 Jan 2016, 5:22 pm

No one cares to make a thread.

Not after Bru has unveiled the Sistine chapel of threads.

Bru, the arrangement is still to meet at Mother India on Saturday, lazy lunch and then Tom the Guitar is threatening to drive us to Rugby Park.

"Two hour lunch and then Killie in time for one of their world famous pies" was how he phrased it.

Don't forget your tickets.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 21 Jan 2016, 6:20 pm

Just saw this on the Edinburgh Rugby twitter (for anyone going to Wales vs Scotland)

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country CZQtWZtWYAEJiZZ

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 Jan 2016, 12:10 pm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 22 Jan 2016, 12:11 pm

Team's up;

1. Allan
2. Big Mama
3. Puafisi
4. The Captain
5.. Oscar
6. Return Of The Jedi...Let's see what tricks he's learned on the 7's circuit.
7. Nina (thanks Bru)
8 Flagball

9.Half Price (or All 1 Price)
10. Dancer
11. Tennessee Tam
12. Dictionary
13. Pudding
14 Big T
15 Hogg

Jerry Yanu, Dr Malcolm and Ragnar the Mental are the replacement front row
Scott Try Machine Cummings to replace Jonny
Fozzie to come on for Big Naka
Hart
Meatball, who could come on for his 100th appearance
Lee Jones.

That's quite a serious back line. If they get good ball they could run riot. It's the pack which raises the questions.
I am surprised that Shrek isn't playing, the front row risks being underpowered without him. And Wee Mike looks to be well out of favour at the moment. If we don't see him during the Six Nations I wonder if we'll see him again.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 Jan 2016, 12:23 pm

jimbopip wrote:Team's up;

1. Allan
2. Big Mama
3. Puafisi
4. The Captain
5.. Oscar
6. Return Of The Jedi...Let's see what tricks he's learned on the 7's circuit.
7. Nina (thanks Bru)
8 Flagball

9.Half Price (or All 1 Price)
10. Dancer
11. Tennessee Tam
12. Dictionary
13. Pudding
14 Big T
15 Hogg

Jerry Yanu, Dr Malcolm and Ragnar the Mental are the replacement front row
Scott Try Machine Cummings to replace Jonny
Fozzie to come on for Big Naka
Hart
Meatball, who could come on for his 100th appearance
Lee Jones.

That's quite a serious back line. If they get good ball they could run riot. It's the pack which raises the questions.
I am surprised that Shrek isn't playing, the front row risks being underpowered without him. And Wee Mike looks to be well out of favour at the moment. If we don't see him during the Six Nations I wonder if we'll see him again.

thumbsup

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Jan 2016, 8:52 am

Sounds like the Wilson citing was a bit of a farce

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/glasgow-warriors/glasgow-warriors-anger-over-ryan-wilson-citing-1-4009196

Despite no conclusive evidence and having not spoken to Dickson to ask his side of things Wilson was dragged to a citing panel.

Apparently it was a very short process because Dickson said over the phone that nothing actually happened!

picard

I think we've all learnt a lesson here - most people assumed because it was Ryan Wilson then he was guilty. Although I would just like to say that I was one of the few who said the 'evidence' was far from conclusive! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sat 23 Jan 2016, 11:01 am

What would another camera angle have shown? At a scrum it would be hard for other cameras to see the incident as it would have been blocked from view.

What you can tell from the angle in the broadcast is that he reached his hand out at waist level, looked, and Dickson reacted. When the law refers to "grabbing", I think the citing commissioner was right to refer it.

I think in this instance a 'not proven' verdict would have been better. But for Ryan Wilson I'm pleased he wasn't found guilty. He is a decent enough club player and does put in a decent level of effort - Glasgow would have missed him in the Pro12 during the 6N.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 23 Jan 2016, 2:36 pm

Nematode wrote:

I think in this instance a 'not proven' verdict would have been better. But for Ryan Wilson I'm pleased he wasn't found guilty. He is a decent enough club player and does put in a decent level of effort - Glasgow would have missed him in the Pro12 during the 6N.

That is nonsense, if the alleged victim says nothing happened then it is not guilty, end of!

Agree with RDW that certainly on the forum, Wilson was guilty by reputation, which is unfortunate but is something that will probably stay with him. It was a soft citing though, he was probably just trying to grab his shorts, as VC said, something all flankers will try and do to a SH if they get the chance. Surely it would have been better for everyone and so much cheaper, if that phone call with Dickson had happened after the match. If he was not bothered about it, then why should anyone else have been.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 24 Jan 2016, 9:16 am

Breaking news - Weir is confirmed as signing for Edinburgh!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 24 Jan 2016, 9:19 am

Edinburgh Rugby are delighted to confirm that Scotland and Glasgow Warriors’ stand-off Duncan Weir will be joining the club at the start of next season, on a two-year contract.

Weir said: “It’s a new challenge for me and one I’m looking forward to. I feel I’ve improved a lot during my time at Glasgow and I’m looking forward to adding to that at Edinburgh, not only continuing my development but helping the team to improve, too.

“Having played with Glasgow for six years it’s also exciting to be moving to explore Edinburgh and start growing my connection with the city.”

A product of the Cambuslang club, Weir attracted the attention of a number of senior Scottish football clubs before deciding to concentrate on rugby.

He was a member of Scottish Rugby’s national academy in season 2009/10 and played through the age grades, winning his first Scotland cap against France in the 2012 RBS 6 Nations.

His final minute drop-goal secured Scotland a 21-20 win over Italy in the 2014 RBS 6 Nations and that summer his 79th minute penalty was key in a 21-19 defeat of Argentina.

He said: “It does help the transition, knowing a number of the Edinburgh players from Scotland duty and, for much of that time, having worked with Hodgey [Duncan Hodge, now Edinburgh assistant coach].

“That was a key part of making the move over. I’ve known Hodgey for close to ten years now, I have a really good relationship with him, he’s a great guy and a good Edinburgh man.

“I’m really looking forward to working alongside him – as a 10 I’m still pretty young at 24 so I still want to develop and work on all aspects of my game.”

The opportunity to build on Edinburgh’s defensive platform was also an attraction to Weir in making the move.

He said: “Edinburgh obviously have a fantastic set-piece and I know I’ll get good ball off the forwards.

“The club are playing more attacking rugby now, too and, as a 10, the opportunity to bring even more fluency between the forwards and backs is key to a free-flowing attack and is an exciting challenge.”

Head coach Alan Solomons said: “It is a real boost for the club that Duncan has decided to join us. “He is a quality player who has proven himself at international level.

“I have no doubt that he will add huge value to the team and I look forward to working with him.”

Duncan Weir

Stand-off

H: 5ft 8in (1.76m)

W: 14st 2lbs (90kg)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 24 Jan 2016, 9:28 am

Not sure what's worse, Edinburgh losing the QF berth at the last second of the game or Edinburgh signing Duncan "mini Moray Low" Weir.

Seriously, Weir would be an improvement on anything Edinburgh have at the moment and the style of play may suit him but i can't help but think Edinburgh should be aiming to sign players of a higher quality. No wonder Matt Scott is off by the way, playing outside Weir isn't a great prospect.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 24 Jan 2016, 10:03 am

I've got mixed feelings about it, but I think overall it is a positive move.

- Weir is clearly the best we could get, and if he is the best we could get then I'm glad it is a young Scottish 10 (he's still only 24) as opposed to another journeyman NSQ player. Or worse, Jade Te Rure!

- I've said before, but the reason he looks like a headless chicken at Glasgow is that he's not suited to their style of play. He is suited to ours, and like it or not that ain't gonna change much in the next year with Solomons in charge!

- We'll now have a decent balance of 10s in the squad - Weir the top dog and Burleigh and Tonks providing support. Kinghorn carrying on his development as an up and coming youngster.

- If Burleigh stays (and this signing makes me concerned that he's not) then he can move back to 12 where he belongs.

- this does now leave Glasgow short at 10. Hopefully they can sign another Rory Clegg type player - a solid backup during the international window.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 24 Jan 2016, 10:24 am

You have got to see the positives in this. Edinburgh quite simply do not have a FH, Burleigh is a centre doing a job and Tonks is a full back, whose game seems to have gone completely over the edge of a cliff anyway.

Weir is a Scottish international and has probably not reached his potential yet due to injuries and lack of game time. He may well surprise you at Edinburgh if he is given the chance and he gets to come out of Russells shadow.

What Glasgow are going to do for FHs is anyones guess, but I would be amazed if there is not some sort of plan there. Horne can fill in, but is clearly not the answer either. Maybe there will be some more surprieses coming our way.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 24 Jan 2016, 10:33 am

I managed to get hold of the original Edinburgh press release before it was reviewed by the SRU.

Blackline reads accordingly.

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Edinburgh Rugby are delighted to confirm that Scotland and Glasgow Warriors’ stand-off Duncan Weir will be joining the club at the start of next season, on a two-year contract.

Head coach Alan Solomons said: “I have absolutely no idea who this is but apparently I am supposed to say that It is a real boost for Gregor's new strategy to actually meet the players he signs for Glasgow first before giving them any money the club that Duncan has decided to join us. “He is a quality player (that quality being 'urine poor') who has proven himself to be categorically incompetent at international level.

“I have no doubt that he will, given how tiny he is, not eat very much and so given that Ben Atiga is still knocking around add huge value to the team and I look forward to doing everything in my arthritic power to avoid selecting working with him.”
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 24 Jan 2016, 10:48 am

The Glasgow press release did almost look like a joke, Gregor Townsend claimed he brought "a lot of enthusiasm to training", that's what my school rugby coach said about the asbergic guy who used to hold the tackle bags and fill up the water bottles, although to be fair to the guy he did eventually make the second team bench so there is hope for Duncan.

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sun 24 Jan 2016, 1:46 pm

Sorry guys, most of the Glasgow supporters are quiet today - still shaking off our hangovers. You know, after beating Racing 92.

[strides away, twirling cane]
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 24 Jan 2016, 2:37 pm

Ah Bru, it was a fine match, eventually. Great to see you again.

As I said last night Meatball almost came a cropper trying to throw the magic mis-pass. I shall miss him but he isn't really good enough to be Glasgow's first choice 10. So he'll probably fit in as a Luvvie.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 24 Jan 2016, 2:46 pm

Maybe Weir is sick of losing the 1872 cup so often?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 24 Jan 2016, 2:48 pm

No, he quite likes watching the others parading the silverwear that's why he's moved east.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next