The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

+45
R!skysports
king_carlos
tigertattie
RiscaGame
lostinwales
toml
marty2086
Tramptastic
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Margin_Walker
SRN
EST
PenfroPete
21st Century Schizoid Man
demosthenes
RuggerRadge2611
thegreenhat
Majestic83
highland_scot
Heaf
SirBurger
des
Ozzy3213
EWT Spoons
CraigS1874
Prothero
madmaccas
MacKnocked-on
nickj
Eejit
TJ
Nematode
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
BigGee
VinceWLB
Tattie Scones RRN
cakeordeath
George Carlin
Imperialbigdave
funnyExiledScot
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RDW
IanBru
49 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country - Page 3 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by SirBurger Fri 29 Jan 2016, 8:14 am

What we really need at Irish is a big, beastly ball carrier and I'm not really sure Coman fits that mould. However, I suspect he would probably start for us at 6, so at least he is strengthening our first choice side.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country - Page 3 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by RDW Fri 29 Jan 2016, 8:27 am

Edinburgh are about to announce 2 contract re-signings...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 29 Jan 2016, 8:34 am

Ya beauty - Cornell Du Preez re-signs! Yahoo

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 29 Jan 2016, 8:41 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Ya beauty - Cornell Du Preez re-signs! Yahoo

2 year deal aswell, great bit of news! Who is the other one then?

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 29 Jan 2016, 8:43 am

Not announced yet...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 29 Jan 2016, 8:45 am

The Edinburgh media intern must still be typing it out

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 29 Jan 2016, 9:07 am

Great news about Cornell. If the 2nd one is Nel then I'm going to be a very happy man.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Fri 29 Jan 2016, 9:22 am

Du Preez would have been a great fit for us at Irish, but I guess Coman will be decent as well.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 29 Jan 2016, 9:27 am

Du Preez as many levels above Conan to be fair - he is an absolute beast and a real game changer. He's also still only 24 ffs!

Him and Nel are by far the most important players at Edinburgh.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 29 Jan 2016, 9:38 am

So the other one is Cochrane, not Nel Sad

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 29 Jan 2016, 9:39 am

Cochrane is the other. I mean, he's a good player, but you don't lead with Cornell and follow it up with Cochrane. Bit of an anti climax now.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 29 Jan 2016, 9:39 am

Good to keep Cochrane - he's a real solid player for us.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 29 Jan 2016, 9:40 am

I'm happier/more relieved about Cornell re-signing than I would be with any other player.  He's just about the best all round rugby player I've ever seen.  His mid air, in touch tap back to Hoyland for the try against Treviso was a perfect example of his high skill level.  

I'm just amazed there wasn't more interest.  His performance in the Challenge Cup final last year should have raised his stock by a huge amount.  He single handedly kept us in that game.

Delighted.

Last edited by des on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : resigning is very different to re-signing)

des

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 29 Jan 2016, 9:43 am

SirBurger wrote:Du Preez would have been a great fit for us at Irish, but I guess Coman will be decent as well.

Where are you hearing the Coman rumors from? I'm just quite surprised that our club captain would be allowed out his contract unless it was to someone like London Scottish.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 29 Jan 2016, 9:45 am

des wrote:I'm happier/more relieved about Cornell resigning than I would be with any other player.  He's just about the best all round rugby player I've ever seen.  His mid air, in touch tap back to Hoyland for the try against Treviso was a perfect example of his high skill level.  

I'm just amazed there wasn't more interest.  His performance in the Challenge Cup final last year should have raised his stock by a huge amount.  He single handedly kept us in that game.

Delighted.

To be fair, Cornell still had a year left before he was SQ, so really all this has done is ensure he becomes eligible and stays for a year longer.  Even if there was interest I doubt he would have been tempted considering he wants to play international rugby. Once he becomes SQ and an international player (and still only 25) he'll be able to command a hefty wage hike and will get a fair bit of interest.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Fri 29 Jan 2016, 9:49 am

Doesnt Coman expire this summer?

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 29 Jan 2016, 9:50 am

SirBurger wrote:Doesnt Coman expire this summer?

I hope not for his sake, he's only 28!

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 29 Jan 2016, 9:53 am

Coman is contracted until this May, unless he signed another contract since March last year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/31823896

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 29 Jan 2016, 10:09 am

In other news I'm about to head off on my stag do - if all goes pear shaped it was nice knowing you all!

Don't have an empty and trash the place while I'm away -George Carlin is in charge now!

guinness cider Ale guinness guinness cider cider Ale RedWine Bubbly  Bubbly

vomit

rose

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 29 Jan 2016, 10:19 am

SirBurger wrote:Doesnt Coman expire this summer?
Yes, but but his missus is moving to London much sooner than that.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 29 Jan 2016, 10:53 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:In other news I'm about to head off on my stag do - if all goes pear shaped it was nice knowing you all!

Don't have an empty and trash the place while I'm away -George Carlin is in charge now!

guinness cider Ale guinness guinness cider cider Ale RedWine Bubbly  Bubbly

vomit

rose
My advice, based on bitter personal experience, is when someone tells you on the Sunday morning that they've got you a coke "to dry you out", if you can still smell vodka in it, don't believe your friends when they tell you it's "just because of the alcohol in your system". They will have put vodka in there.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 29 Jan 2016, 12:39 pm

Good luck with the stag RDW!

Great news on Du Preez and Cochrane, and to be honest I'm not too concerned about losing Coman. Fantastic opportunity for Ritchie and Bradbury to come through to challenge Manu and Du Preez.

BabyfES' nursery sent me an email yesterday telling me that Matt Scott's girlfriend has resigned and is moving down to Gloucester. Sounds like Mrs Coman is making the same preparations.

We still need to secure WP Nel. That's the really key signature.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 29 Jan 2016, 12:53 pm

Disappointingly from an Edinburgh perspective (correct me if you're not seeing things the same way, chaps), Duncan Taylor has just signed a new deal with Saracens.

I saw him as the natural step-in for Matt Scott, but I guess it'll do him some good to stay in a team that is winning consistently. Run
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 29 Jan 2016, 1:35 pm

To be fair it's hard to argue that Edinburgh is a better environment for him to develop into a top class player than Sarries, so I'm in two minds on this. I'm actually less bothered about 12, as Burleigh will do a great job there. It's at 10 where we need a good signing.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 29 Jan 2016, 1:37 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
BabyfES' nursery sent me an email yesterday telling me that Matt Scott's girlfriend has resigned and is moving down to Gloucester. Sounds like Mrs Coman is making the same preparations.

Is that really true?

I know you're a solicitor so am unsure as to whether I should trust you or not.

I trust my solicitor but not someone else's.  Who's side are you on eh?

des

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 29 Jan 2016, 1:40 pm

It is true re: Matt Scott's bird - I'm speculating re: Mrs Coman.

We are an honourable profession.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 1:40 pm

IanBru wrote:Disappointingly from an Edinburgh perspective (correct me if you're not seeing things the same way, chaps), Duncan Taylor has just signed a new deal with Saracens.

I saw him as the natural step-in for Matt Scott, but I guess it'll do him some good to stay in a team that is winning consistently. Run

Long term deal apparently, obviously very highly rated at Sarries. I would personally say it's a good thing he's re-signed as he's playing for a top club in high pressure games virtually every week and it means that Edinburgh have to develop a hopefully SQ replacement for Scott.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 29 Jan 2016, 1:46 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:
IanBru wrote:Disappointingly from an Edinburgh perspective (correct me if you're not seeing things the same way, chaps), Duncan Taylor has just signed a new deal with Saracens.

Long term deal apparently, obviously very highly rated at Sarries. I would personally say it's a good thing he's re-signed as he's playing for a top club in high pressure games virtually every week and it means that Edinburgh have to develop a hopefully SQ replacement for Scott.

I suspect that means counting down the clock on Phil Burleigh!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sat 30 Jan 2016, 8:15 pm

I sat down to watch Cardiff v Edinburgh this afternoon, enjoying a break from stripping paint from the woodwork in my hallway.

I emerged two hours later utterly bereft of joy, a shrunken husk searching for solace.

What finally finished me was the thought that I could have spent those two hours watching Star Wars: The Force Awakens again. God damn it.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sat 30 Jan 2016, 9:25 pm

IanBru wrote:I sat down to watch Cardiff v Edinburgh this afternoon, enjoying a break from stripping paint from the woodwork in my hallway.

I emerged two hours later utterly bereft of joy, a shrunken husk searching for solace.

What finally finished me was the thought that I could have spent those two hours watching Star Wars: The Force Awakens again. God damn it.

I would happily drive from Reading to Newcastle and do that for 2 hours than watch that match again.

Seething about Ma'afu and the ref not booking him. Edinburgh had no idea what to do with the ball. They needed someone to provide go forward. Only Burleigh did it. What the censored is the point of censored Strauss if he can't even run forward with the ball and straighten the line? Plus he got injured. Coman is not a lock and was poor in my view, but I can't beat him up too much when playing out of position. Watson was fantastic. Fowles was not bad either.

Good thing I am not going out tonight. Going to watch Hot Fuzz instead. I need a laugh. I guess this is why boys get girlfriends. Helps get past the disappointment.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 31 Jan 2016, 11:44 am

IanBru wrote:I sat down to watch Cardiff v Edinburgh this afternoon, enjoying a break from stripping paint from the woodwork in my hallway.

So you were watching Daisy Ridley whilst "stripping paint from the woodwork in [your] hallway".

A young person's euphemism for something different, if ever I heard one.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 31 Jan 2016, 10:33 pm

I recorded this game. Seriously doubt I'm going to watch it! All in all an LBP is OK given the team Solomons had at his disposal.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Feb 2016, 7:54 am

Urgh.

That is all I can manage just now! Erm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 01 Feb 2016, 8:13 am

Quite impressed you made it through the whole weekend without checking in here.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 01 Feb 2016, 8:30 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Urgh.

That is all I can manage just now! Erm

Kids these days. Just don't have the stomach for proper drinking.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Feb 2016, 9:56 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Quite impressed you made it through the whole weekend without checking in here.

There would have been hefty fines for that!

We were down in London and went to the London Scottish - Yorkshire Carnegie match on Saturday afternoon. I was going to say if anyone saw a man (badly) dressed as Frodo from Lord of the Rings come and say hello!

Was great to be at London Scottish actually, they've got a really good set up there.

Scott Johnson was watching - I'm assuming to watch Alex grove? He did ok without being overly spectacular. Put in a few decent hits.

Kevin Sindfield played 10 for Yorkshire - he won't be getting a Scotland call up any time soon on that performance!

Was a cracking game actually - Scottish were 20-8 down with 20 minutes to go and ended up winning 22-20 with a last kick of the game touchline conversion to win it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 01 Feb 2016, 10:38 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Quite impressed you made it through the whole weekend without checking in here.

We were down in London and went to the London Scottish - Yorkshire Carnegie match on Saturday afternoon. I was going to say if anyone saw a man (badly) dressed as Frodo from Lord of the Rings come and say hello!

Was great to be at London Scottish actually, they've got a really good set up there.

Scott Johnson was watching - I'm assuming to watch Alex grove? He did ok without being overly spectacular. Put in a few decent hits.

Kevin Sindfield played 10 for Yorkshire - he won't be getting a Scotland call up any time soon on that performance!

Was a cracking game actually - Scottish were 20-8 down with 20 minutes to go and ended up winning 22-20 with a last kick of the game touchline conversion to win it!

Sounds awesome. Your mates did well to keep you away from the Edinburgh game in Cardiff!!

I used to go to the odd LS game when I lived in London. Went to a couple with ASBO actually. It is a great set-up with some cracking pubs close by.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:35 am

We went to the Sun Inn in Richmond after the game which was a good boozer. That's where the majority of punishments were dished out - I'm sure the locals were bemused why so many Scotsmen were randomly getting down on the floor doing press-ups then downing their drinks!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:54 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:We went to the Sun Inn in Richmond after the game which was a good boozer. That's where the majority of punishments were dished out - I'm sure the locals were bemused why so many Scotsmen were randomly getting down on the floor doing press-ups then downing their drinks!

Was there before the cup final last season. Decent boozer. Bumped into the chief exec of London Scottish in there (or so he claimed) and Piri Weepu.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Feb 2016, 12:01 pm

My brother has a great story of when Delon and Steffan Armitage were in the Sun Inn downing pints with the punters before a Scotland-England game - two proper lads apparently|

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 01 Feb 2016, 12:17 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:My brother has a great story of when Delon and Steffan Armitage were in the Sun Inn downing pints with the punters before a Scotland-England game - two proper lads apparently|

Was Steffan chuckling away watching Robshaw and saying "I'd have turned that one over...."?

Steffan looks like a bloke who could put a pint or two away. Delon looks like he'd get a bit feisty after a few beers and start breaking things.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Feb 2016, 12:23 pm

They were both great blokes apparently - not the ar**holes that many people would have expected.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Feb 2016, 6:01 pm

Confirmed - Mike Coman to London Scottish.

Even with Ritchie and Bradbury coming through we definitely need to sign more back rows now.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 01 Feb 2016, 9:13 pm

I'd like Blair Cowan from London Irish - would cover both 6 and 7 for us. Mitch Eadie would be another interesting option at 6/8.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Mon 01 Feb 2016, 9:28 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:

I did spy the Frodo fancy dress and wondered why only one was dressed up. Glad you had a good time - it's a good day out down there.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 01 Feb 2016, 10:06 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Confirmed - Mike Coman to London Scottish.

Even with Ritchie and Bradbury coming through we definitely need to sign more back rows now.

London Irish I think ..

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Mon 01 Feb 2016, 10:13 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:We went to the Sun Inn in Richmond after the game which was a good boozer. That's where the majority of punishments were dished out - I'm sure the locals were bemused why so many Scotsmen were randomly getting down on the floor doing press-ups then downing their drinks!

Glad to hear you had a good one RDW.

I had a particularly embarrassing team initiation there. Can't remember much (and thankfully this was in the days before smartphones) but it involved singing 'All By Myself' naked on the table with nothing but a fez and yard of ale. The ale was very good though.

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 02 Feb 2016, 6:42 am

Heaf wrote:

London Irish I think ..

You are correct - I don't know why I typed that!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 02 Feb 2016, 7:56 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Heaf wrote:

London Irish I think ..

You are correct - I don't know why I typed that!
It is fairly plausible.

I read that and thought, 'yep, Championship is more his level'.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Tue 02 Feb 2016, 9:59 am

Have Glasgow had a team night out in Aberdeen lately?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-35471317

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next