The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

+45
R!skysports
king_carlos
tigertattie
RiscaGame
lostinwales
toml
marty2086
Tramptastic
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Margin_Walker
SRN
EST
PenfroPete
21st Century Schizoid Man
demosthenes
RuggerRadge2611
thegreenhat
Majestic83
highland_scot
Heaf
SirBurger
des
Ozzy3213
EWT Spoons
CraigS1874
Prothero
madmaccas
MacKnocked-on
nickj
Eejit
TJ
Nematode
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
BigGee
VinceWLB
Tattie Scones RRN
cakeordeath
George Carlin
Imperialbigdave
funnyExiledScot
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RDW
IanBru
49 posters

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by IanBru Sun 24 Jan - 14:49

Cheers Jim, what a day! Highlights of the Killie experience?
1) Dancer's outside-of-the-boot clearance kick after a stolen line out in the first half, ballooning over the Racing outside backs and plonking down with a satisfied 'thonk' (3G pitch, don't you know) a bit short of the Racing 5m line;
2) Dancer delaying the pass to Hoggy.
3) Dancer. ;
4) Hearing that the Rugby Park bar had run out of white wine (it was a quite pleasant Riesling), as Glasgow's lady supporters are a classy bunch;
5) Almost slipping on the urine-stained floor of the men's toilets as Glasgow's make supporters are... a classy bunch.

Lady Bru sends her very best.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by Nematode Sun 24 Jan - 15:34

I think the comments from most on here about Weir are a bit disappointing really.

He's a great signing for Edinburgh who, let's face it, are probably only able to attract signings at a level of the likes of Sale or Scarlets. He's won matches for Scotland with drop-goals/winning kicks that have prevented what would have been 2 wooden-spoons in consecutive years (and remember that winning penalty vs Argentina?).

He is exactly the type of 10 that fits AS's style of play and isn't coming over i) inexperienced ii) injured iii) after playing a full season iv) likely to move on after a few seasons. It allows Burleigh to play at 12 and means that Russell and Weir are getting plenty of starts at 10. He is also a pretty decent kicker (maybe needs a bit more practice) but means there isn't the drop from SHC to Cuthbert in kicking ability.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 24 Jan - 21:23

I like the optimism Tode. Let's hope you are right. I think he's rank average at best and seriously lucky to be paid to play rugby!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 24 Jan - 22:31

FES - I think he is a player whos talents are in danger of being wasted. at 24 he has had more than three+ years of getting hardly any starts and has tried too hard to prove himself in the ten mins he gets. He needs regular game time and he will get that for Edinburgh as we don't have a 10. I bet you by next season he is playing much better

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sun 24 Jan - 22:32

Go well Meatball. I'll miss shouting to run with the ball through the telly.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Mon 25 Jan - 10:20

I think this is further evidence of some joined up thinking by the SRU and should be celebrated. Richie Gray joining Big Vern's team for the 6 n's and the formalisation of the SRU's ties with London Scottish being two recent examples of some fairly obvious and relatively easily made tweaks that could and have now been made for the good of the Scottish game.

While Wee Duc has his detractors, we have a limited pool of talent and we need to give that talent game time via our two pro-teams. Edinburgh and the SRU have given Tonks a chance at 10 and he hasn't taken it. We can't magic up another option a 10 for Scotland, so Dunc needed to move. It was crazy to have him and Finn in the same squad and could and possibly should have been made earlier.

Like many posters, I prefer Burleigh at 12 and now Scott's off, he will hopefully only be used at 12 and as an emergency 10. Kinghorn's development will hopefully also continue unabated at 15 and as Dunc's back-up.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 25 Jan - 12:22

Has it actually been confirmed that young Matthew Douze Scott is off?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 25 Jan - 12:24

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/16/01/16/matt-scott

http://www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk/news/12158.php#.VqYTxvntmqI

thumbsup

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 25 Jan - 12:27

nickj wrote:I think this is further evidence of some joined up thinking by the SRU and should be celebrated. Richie Gray joining Big Vern's team for the 6 n's and the formalisation of the SRU's ties with London Scottish being two recent examples of some fairly obvious and relatively easily made tweaks that could and have now been made for the good of the Scottish game.

While Wee Duc has his detractors, we have a limited pool of talent and we need to give that talent game time via our two pro-teams. Edinburgh and the SRU have given Tonks a chance at 10 and he hasn't taken it. We can't magic up another option a 10 for Scotland, so Dunc needed to move. It was crazy to have him and Finn in the same squad and could and possibly should have been made earlier.

Like many posters, I prefer Burleigh at 12 and now Scott's off, he will hopefully only be used at 12 and as an emergency 10. Kinghorn's development will hopefully also continue unabated at 15 and as Dunc's back-up.

Completely agree with this, The much maligned SRU have acutally made some pretty good calls lately. Lets hope the next one is a synthetic pitch for Glasgow!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 25 Jan - 12:50

Good to see Junior has been selected for the Scotland 7s this weekend in NZ, making his debut in a Scotland representative team.
Also Nick Grigg as well, don't know much about him but I think he's on the fringes of the Glasgow squad, anyone know if he's any good?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 25 Jan - 12:57

MacKnocked-on wrote:Good to see Junior has been selected for the Scotland 7s this weekend in NZ, making his debut in a Scotland representative team.
Also Nick Grigg as well, don't know much about him but I think he's on the fringes of the Glasgow squad, anyone know if he's any good?

According to his profile he's classed as a 'hard running centre' but is only 5ft 9 and 89kg!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 25 Jan - 13:00

RDW_Scotland wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:Good to see Junior has been selected for the Scotland 7s this weekend in NZ, making his debut in a Scotland representative team.

According to his profile he's classed as a 'hard running centre' but is only 5ft 9 and 89kg!
Hmm. I suspect that the dump I took this morning was bigger than that. chin
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 25 Jan - 13:15

RDW_Scotland wrote:

Maybe they meant "finds running hard centre", like Morrison.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 25 Jan - 14:00

Found this on YouTube, looks like school level matches but pretty elusive player by the looks of things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ltNYsPQRM

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Mon 25 Jan - 14:30

BigGee wrote:
nickj wrote:I think this is further evidence of some joined up thinking by the SRU and should be celebrated. Richie Gray joining Big Vern's team for the 6 n's and the formalisation of the SRU's ties with London Scottish being two recent examples of some fairly obvious and relatively easily made tweaks that could and have now been made for the good of the Scottish game.

Completely agree with this, The much maligned SRU have acutally made some pretty good calls lately. Lets hope the next one is a synthetic pitch for Glasgow!

With this in mind do you think there is the appetite for a seperate London Scottish thread given Sean Lineen's (praise be unto him) recent appointment?

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Mon 25 Jan - 16:45

Alex Grove has joined Scottish http://www.warriors.co.uk/news/9161.php#.VqZRG2bcvIU

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Mon 25 Jan - 17:04

Eejit wrote:

With this in mind do you think there is the appetite for a seperate London Scottish thread given Sean Lineen's (praise be unto him) recent appointment?

There is from me! I'll happily provide match reports etc if anyone wants them.

Great news that the Grove brothers may be teaming up in the centres for Scottish.

Exciting times (and boy have we been made to wait!).

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 25 Jan - 17:11

Absolutely start up a London Scottish thread!

It is becoming more and more Scottish every week.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Mon 25 Jan - 17:21

I must admit, I haven't been down the Athletic Ground all season and they're sitting 10th. I can only conclude that I'm a good luck charm and as such I promise to be there on Saturday to eat my body weight in Scotch pies.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 25 Jan - 17:47

I think they've won their last two or three games in the B&I Cup so hopefully their form is improving, the obvious priority for Lineen is to make sure they avoid relegation this season, if they did go down that would seriously set back the whole cooperation project.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 25 Jan - 23:42

nickj wrote:Alex Grove has joined Scottish http://www.warriors.co.uk/news/9161.php#.VqZRG2bcvIU

Good signing. Really solid player.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 26 Jan - 9:53

Happy for Weir that he finally will get some games. Burleigh at 12 with Allen or Dean outside him should be alright in the centres though they are short a 12. Almost tempted to say Vernon or Lyle could take the trip as well if we are determined to get Scots players playing. Tonks should be put back at 15 if we are accepting he is not a 10 and put Kinghorn as the bench option. We are short of full backs at the moment. Hogg to Murchie, Bryce or Cuthbert is a big drop off!

Surprised that Alex Grove has struggled to get game time, but have not followed. Would have thought he was a starter at Worcester. Quality addition for London Scots. Is the SRU providing them money as well as the benefits in kind (physios, coaching)?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Prothero Tue 26 Jan - 14:50

In a ideal word Paddy Kelly from le parc or frazer Lyle would be Matt Scotts replacement at Edinburgh.

Prothero

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 26 Jan - 15:01

Prothero wrote:In a ideal word Paddy Kelly from le parc or frazer Lyle would be Matt Scotts replacement at Edinburgh.    

They would do as squad players but would be a significant step down in quality.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigS1874 Wed 27 Jan - 9:10

I know it's early but get the champagne out boys and girls!
John andress is leaving Edinburgh and it is reported that he signing for Munster to replace bj Botha. Apparently Connacht were also after him, can only think they scouted by looking up his Wikipedia account as he has been no use to us

CraigS1874

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 27 Jan - 9:18

I think it is a bit harsh to say no use - he has done an OK job generally without every embarrassing himself. He has sometimes got on the wrong side of the referee but he's also stood up well in a lot of games.

He's certainly no Jack Gilding!

Also, let's just wait and see who he is replaced with...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigS1874 Wed 27 Jan - 9:36

I like him as much as you like te rure ! Gilding was useless but it wasn't really his fault he got a contract in the first place, Andrees seems physically capable but just bloody stupid. He will get pinged in the first minute for boaring in then he will carry on doing it till the 80th minute. Just never listens

CraigS1874

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 27 Jan - 9:40

Don't get me wrong I'm not going to mourn his departure, I'm just very concious that good tightheads are in demand and we are well down the list in terms of financial clout and popularity - we could end up with worse. Andress was Pro 12 level at least and that's more than could be said for Pufisi at Glasgow.

You got any more gossip on the re-signings front? Nel??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed 27 Jan - 10:04

RDW_Scotland wrote:Don't get me wrong I'm not going to mourn his departure, I'm just very concious that good tightheads are in demand and we are well down the list in terms of financial clout and popularity - we could end up with worse. Andress was Pro 12 level at least and that's more than could be said for Pufisi at Glasgow.

Perhaps Duncan Weir is being lined up for a positional shift?.. Wouldn't have to work on his physique too much.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 27 Jan - 12:04

I've never been a fan of Andress, he was capable, but that's the best I can say about him.

Berghan seems to have ability so hopefully he can push on. Plus he's SQ. There is also Dell who can apparently play both sides of the scrum. He'll probably need to pick one side as playing both never really pans out long term, but he could also be an option, but i think both he and Solly view him at LH.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 Jan - 13:26

I'm not bothered about Andress leaving. For me he doesn't meet the quality threshold for an NSQ player and I'm keen to see more of Berghan stepping up. I hear what you say about the dearth of quality tightheads hanging about but I'm sure the scouting team have some ideas. I'd love to get Moray Low or Jon Welsh back, but alternatively the success of WP Nel has hopefully shown quality tightheads in the SH that Edinburgh is a decent route to international rugby.

As for Dell covering both sides, I don't think he has the muscle mass to play tighthead.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 27 Jan - 13:42

Dell is no tighthead - he's an average sized looshead never mind TH!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 27 Jan - 13:55

I'd agree with your point on Dell, but he did play TH in the 2012 under 20 SA championship winning team. So guess he has some pedigree there. But given he's not even in with a look in for us at TH I'm guessing Solly isn't seeing it.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 27 Jan - 13:57

At the moment the SRU need to sign 2 top quality tightheads and an old veteran tighthead to teach at Edinburgh. Hopefully Nel re-signing would cover Edinburgh no 1 but they need a no 2 or 3 tighthead with Berghan learning from the old head (who could coach Fagerson and Rae as well during their pathway to coaching). Cross would have been ideal, so good thing that relationship is solid....

Glasgow got screwed over by De Klerk after releasing Welsh. IF Welsh were keen to come back, I would be happy but practically who is around who fits the bill? Maybe if the Japanese tighthead Newcastle have signed as cover does well and fancies staying in the UK for a couple of years would do the trick.

Lot of scouting to be done by Lineen, Solomons and Toony this spring.

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Wed 27 Jan - 13:58; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Not paying attention during English class)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 27 Jan - 14:15

MacKnocked-on wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Don't get me wrong I'm not going to mourn his departure, I'm just very concious that good tightheads are in demand and we are well down the list in terms of financial clout and popularity - we could end up with worse. Andress was Pro 12 level at least and that's more than could be said for Pufisi at Glasgow.

Perhaps Duncan Weir is being lined up for a positional shift?.. Wouldn't have to work on his physique too much.

Laugh

Without wanting to be harsh, i'm glad to see the back of Andress and hopefully Berghan gets picked from now on, enough time has been lost on Andress already. Berghan could be a Scottish (sort of) version of Kieran Brookes.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 27 Jan - 14:25

How do Edinburgh fans rate Mike Coman?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 27 Jan - 14:26

I think Edinburgh are well enough stocked at TH if Nel re-signs for us.  We have Nel as first choice, Berghan (25) as back up and a future option, with Dell (who is only 23) as a potential long term option.

Glasgow on the other hand only have a longer term option in Fagerson.  He's doing well, but it's a lot to ask of a lad who is only 20.

I can't see Welsh wanting to come back, by not offering him a contract they basically said they didn't think he was good enough, it's hardly going to make him keen to come back to Glasgow.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed 27 Jan - 14:44

Edinburgh have Jack Cosgrove on loan at LS currently as well, don't know which side of the scrum he plays but he's been getting game time in the Championship.
As well as Fagerson, Glasgow have D'arcy Rae and Javen Sebastian as long term development options, again no idea if either are potentially any good or not but they've certainly got stand-out names.
And there's Nick Fraser out in Oz who has been spoken about before on these threads.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 27 Jan - 14:48

MacKnocked-on wrote:Edinburgh have Jack Cosgrove on loan at LS currently as well, don't know which side of the scrum he plays but he's been getting game time in the Championship.
As well as Fagerson, Glasgow have D'arcy Rae and Javen Sebastian as long term development options, again no idea if either are potentially any good or not but they've certainly got stand-out names.
And there's Nick Fraser out in Oz who has been spoken about before on these threads.  

Cosgrove is a LH I believe.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 27 Jan - 15:17

Dell seems to be seen as a loosehead. In that scenario maybe D'Arcy would be better off moving to Edinburgh if they don't find a mentor figure, but Glasgow need a top level tighthead. Cusack, sadly, should probably get his CV up to date.

Ozzy3213 wrote:How do Edinburgh fans rate Mike Coman?

I support Edinburgh when Glasgow are not playing so I guess have seen him enough. He is solid, but unspectacular. Occasionally bone headed near his own try line (jumping out of line, arm tackle when a strong shoulder needed). Will carry above-averagely and tackle well enough (though not as dominant as his size suggests he could be), but not much more than that really. Can play as a lock against bad opposition in an emergency. I don't pay much attention to line-outs, but think he can jump (averagely).

He is a slightly above average squad player all told who does most things reasonably. Nice as a back-up and will do a job, but not sold on him as a starting 6 for an expansive team or one with Champions Cup ambitions.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 27 Jan - 15:38

Hazel Sapling wrote:Dell seems to be seen as a loosehead. In that scenario maybe D'Arcy would be better off moving to Edinburgh if they don't find a mentor figure, but Glasgow need a top level tighthead. Cusack, sadly, should probably get his CV up to date.

I agree that Dell seems to be seen more as a loosehead, but if we were planning for the future then he would be better off trying to focus on being a TH.

By that I mean we have at loosehead, Dickinson, Sutherland, Sheils, with Cochrane coming through.
At tighthead we only have Nel & Berghan.

Dell is only 23 so has plenty of time to continue his development and could be a long term option at TH.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 Jan - 15:40

Coman has improved a fair bit since joining. He's a jack of all trades basically. Ok over the ball, ok at carrying, fairly quick, doesn't miss many tackles, ok workrate, ok in the lineout and does an ok job of handling the ref. Can't think of too many daft captaincy decisions either. I also have it on good authority that Mrs Coman is hot.

In terms of the Edinburgh 1st XV I'd probably leave him out, as I prefer Manu, Hardie and Du Preez as a back row, but his coverage of both 6/8 probably edges him ahead of Hamish Watson on the bench.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 Jan - 15:43

EWT Spoons wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:Dell seems to be seen as a loosehead. In that scenario maybe D'Arcy would be better off moving to Edinburgh if they don't find a mentor figure, but Glasgow need a top level tighthead. Cusack, sadly, should probably get his CV up to date.

I agree that Dell seems to be seen more as a loosehead, but if we were planning for the future then he would be better off trying to focus on being a TH.

By that I mean we have at loosehead, Dickinson, Sutherland, Sheils, with Cochrane coming through.
At tighthead we only have Nel & Berghan.

Dell is only 23 so has plenty of time to continue his development and could be a long term option at TH.

He's a hooker. Do you mean Cosgrove?

I don't think Dell can be an option at 3. He just doesn't have the frame. You can build muscle but you can build bigger shoulders and bones. He reminds me a bit of Al Dickinson back in the day when Scotland tried him at tighthead. It was a complete disaster. Just too small. Far better being that build on the loosehead side where technique can play a bigger role.

That all said, as I type this it occurs to me I know close to sod all about being an international tighthead!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 27 Jan - 15:52

Yeah sorry I meant Cosgrove. Trying to do more than half a thing at once has defeated me.

Dell is roughly the same height and weight as Fagerson, not sure on his frame, but from that perspective he is pretty close. Also as I said earlier he did play TH for the u20 south african team, so I guess he must have some qualities for a tight head.

He might never make it there, but from a purely selfish point of view I'd rather we took the risk. We don't need him as a loosehead, we have them coming out our ears, we need tightheads.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 27 Jan - 16:41

From a selfish point of view I agree. Getting an average tighthead or potentially better out of a good or potentially better loosehead is probably reasonable at the moment and Dell would not suffer financially.

He could turn into Jack Gilding or Kyle Trainor though. I would rather we played with 14 and had uncontested scrums.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 29 Jan - 6:22

So Comon's missus is moving to London very soon. This is happening before the end of this season. Doesn't make a huge amount of sense unless he's going to London Scottish.

Fes, this also means that the nursery is diddling parents out of a degree qualified member of staff. They previously used these highly qualified members of staff to justify fee increases.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 29 Jan - 7:02

Ozzy3213 wrote:How do Edinburgh fans rate Mike Coman?

So Ozzy, a London Irish fan, cryptically asks for views on Mike Coman, and now we find out his mrs is off to London....

Nope, can't see any link there myself. Anyone got Poirot on speed dial?

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 29 Jan - 7:53

I'd be surprised if it was LI as it would be a contract buyout and he's not really that sort of player. With LS he would still be on the SRU payroll. He's exactly the sort of player they could do with too.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 29 Jan - 7:54

Coman is a good solid pro and is obviously well respected by the coaches and players. He's also captained the team to 1872 victory 2 years in a row!

If he does leave then, like Andress, he's gonna need replaced so again the question has to be what kind of quality of replacement can we find. That would leave us with 2 top class 6/8's and 2 youngsters - that's just not enough.

I'd take Denton back!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next