The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bags on the Tee and Other Poor Etiquette

+6
SmithersJones
Nay
navyblueshorts
Bob_the_Job
super_realist
McLaren
10 posters

Go down

Bags on the Tee and Other Poor Etiquette  Empty Bags on the Tee and Other Poor Etiquette

Post by McLaren Thu 04 Feb 2016, 9:15 am

Golf monthly have a list at the moment with 14 bits of poor etiquette (14 Rules Of Golf Etiquette You Are Probably Breaking).  Most of it is american centric about cart paths, buggies and practice putting greens.  But they list putting your bag on the tee box as badd etiquette that can scuff the grass or distract people hitting drives.   I have never heard that you are not meant to put your bag on the tee and probably do it on most holes I play.  Have you ever heard of this and does it hack you off when people leave their bags on the tee?

And what other poor etiquette is currently annoying you?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Bags on the Tee and Other Poor Etiquette  Empty Re: Bags on the Tee and Other Poor Etiquette

Post by super_realist Thu 04 Feb 2016, 9:36 am

Who cares about bags on the tee? They weigh a lot less than people.
What annoys me most is people who insist on certain regulations such as knee length socks or not changing shoes in the car park.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Bags on the Tee and Other Poor Etiquette  Empty Re: Bags on the Tee and Other Poor Etiquette

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 04 Feb 2016, 9:48 am

I'm aware of the bags on the tee box one, but in our club it's sort of unspoken that those who carry can put their bags on the unused area of the tee box as long as they're well out of the way. Bags on trolleys never go on the tee box. I don't think there is much logic in it - it's more of a tradition. Professionals obviously have their bags on the tee, and they are carry bags so maybe it stems from there.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 04 Feb 2016, 10:01 am

I once played with a guy in a comp who made several comments about me leaving my stand bag on the teeing area, I thought he was just a naughty naughty boy and have never come across mention of this issue again.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 04 Feb 2016, 10:17 am

If someone told me not to do that I'd keep doing it, just to annoy him and watch his scores go downhill.
When using a trolley I tend to put it to the side, and unless there's a path, it goes on the tee box too. Really, there are bigger things for people to worry about.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 04 Feb 2016, 10:21 am

Super, what do you think I did?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 04 Feb 2016, 11:06 am

Anything you did would have been superfluous drumroll
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 04 Feb 2016, 11:47 am

Never mind the tee, does anyone else find the not leaving bags on the green seriously irritating? In Australia you can't leave the bag on the green but at even the most prestigious clubs it seems ok to pull a trolley over the green. So much better than having to walk around the side.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 04 Feb 2016, 5:07 pm

If there's obvious room not to have a bag on the tee, I don't put it on the tee.
There's no way I'd put a nag on a green. if that's what your last post is angling at (hard to tell...).
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 04 Feb 2016, 5:21 pm

I was just commenting that in Aus they let you take a trolley over the green.

I would like to be able to lay my bag on the green and often do if the course is really quiet and I am playing alone, but in general this is considered seriously bad etiquette.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 04 Feb 2016, 6:37 pm

What do people think about chipping on the green, if for example you have a chinese snooker?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Thu 04 Feb 2016, 6:51 pm

I assume chinese snooker means when you are on green but have to go over a section of fringe to get to hole.

I have no issues with it, i won't do it but not for reasons of etiquette and more around the fear of chunking one and ruining the green.

Last edited by LL Cool Nay on Thu 04 Feb 2016, 7:48 pm; edited 3 times in total

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 04 Feb 2016, 6:54 pm

I have done it frequently, couldn't give a toss about etiquette in this case, the aim of the game is to get the ball in the hole, so as it's not against the rules, I'm happy to do it and if a sniffy playing partner turns his nose up, that's his problem.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 04 Feb 2016, 7:42 pm

I don't like chipping on the green as I worry it would cause the green staff unnecessary and tricky work.

As I said above if the course is quiet I have no issue laying my bag on the green as long as it isn't soft enough to mark the green. But chipping is always guaranteed to cause damage.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 04 Feb 2016, 8:10 pm

Chipping is not guaranteed to cause damage Mac, if you think that, you're not adept at chipping.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 04 Feb 2016, 8:55 pm

I sometimes do take my bag onto the tee of par 3 holes if the markers aren't close to the side I'm approaching from. I always carry and feel it helps speed up play as I don't need to trapse all the way back across once I've got the yardage and so chosen my club (and yes I do know my yardages thanks Super!).
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 04 Feb 2016, 9:09 pm

Where is the evidence that even at "prestigious" Australian clubs, you can pull or push a trolley over a green? I've never heard anything so ridiculous. Even at the most chavvy muni pitch and putt courses I wouldn't expect to see a trolley on the green

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 04 Feb 2016, 10:39 pm

The members who I played the courses with took their trolley's across the greens. Maybe I just kept getting paired with renegades?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 05 Feb 2016, 6:50 am

Tees actually need traffic on them. There are Champion tees at St.Andrews and others which suffer from not having much play on them. They get very soft and mossy. So if you want to put your bag on the tee, there's no reason not to.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 05 Feb 2016, 9:06 am

I've never really thought about not putting my bag on the tee area. I just put it where there is room. I would never take my bag on to the green, that just seems likely to damage the green, always leave it by the side where you walk to the next hole, it annoys me when people leave their bags at the front then have to walk back to get them before walking to the next hole. Ive seen pros chip on the greens, so I cannot imagine anyone has an issue with that, unless, like me it is likely i will make a horlicks and take a chunk out the green.

Dont think ive ever seen anyone walk a trolley over a green.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 05 Feb 2016, 9:17 am

Re. chipping on greens. I have done it when stymied by a bunker and a nasty flag position. Didn't really damage the green but, as it's allowed, it wouldn't bother me if I did. I might mention it to a Committee member to pass onto the greens staff etc - if you have a flag position where this is possible/likely, more fool them that put it there.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 Feb 2016, 9:50 am

Rolling trolleys across the green is definitely an Aussie custom.

Can't imagine why those who carry their bags wouldn't place their bag on the tee, or at least right beside it if appropriate. Never used a pull cart/trolley but wouldn't think that's much different.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Fri 05 Feb 2016, 10:23 am

Definitely pull trolleys across some course greens in Aus. First time I saw it was first time I played Kingston Heath. Chap I was playing with explained that green keeper didn't want unsightly traffic lines round the edge of greens/bunkers where grass was longer, and greens were so hard you could not damage them. I still couldn't do it until we came to the one double green on the course - "long walk now, or you can follow me!"
They don't do it in winter when greens are softer, but it is very common in Summer.
As for bags on tees, why not if there is room and no distraction. Trolleys not especially if ground is soft.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down