The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan v Canelo - Great matchmaking by team Khan...

+24
Scottrf
huw
SugarRayBray
AZZJ44
jimdig
Nico the gman
3fingers
ONETWOFOREVER
ShahenshahG
titaniumjaw
DuransHorse
Coxy001
kingraf
Atila
Lance
Jermaine2015
AdamT
catchweight
Mr Bounce
Steffan
hazharrison
Hammersmith harrier
BoxingFan88
TRUSSMAN66
28 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Khan v Canelo - Great matchmaking by team Khan... Empty Khan v Canelo - Great matchmaking by team Khan...

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 17:45

Easy to say that Canelo is too big.....But he isn't that great at using his strength and size...Not a great pressure fighter.

This fight is logistically no different than any other Khan fight for me....If he avoids getting caught he wins...

Not sure Canelo's work rate and accuracy will be good enough to wear Khan down.....He's better than Rhodes who went 11 ??

Have no doubts that Khan will trouble Canelo with his excellent speed and jab...He also has a ready made blue print to follow...

Khan has to fight the fight of his life but smaller fighters like Conn and Leonard did against Louis and Hagler....Whilst Khan is very talented he isn't in there league BUT Canelo isn't in Hagler or Louis league either...

Khan does have the talent and Canelo's work rate suggests Khan can take a good lead into the middle rounds...

Khan has the ability and he obviously fancies it.....But will he brain fade ??

He loses and he moves back to welter anyway....

Speed and a top jab should never be written off..Sure Golovkin would kill him..But he isn't fighting GGG is he !!

Intriguing fight.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Khan v Canelo - Great matchmaking by team Khan... Empty Re: Khan v Canelo - Great matchmaking by team Khan...

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 18:07

He is going to get pancaked

He cant defend on the ropes he has no power to keep alvarez off him and has no where near the defence like Floyd

Size is too much for him

Remember that he has only fought one welterweight and he is hopping two additional divisions

It's a huge mismatch

Clever in the fact that Brook fight might still be there If alvarez doesn't retire him

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Khan v Canelo - Great matchmaking by team Khan... Empty Re: Khan v Canelo - Great matchmaking by team Khan...

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 18:15

He has to go on the ropes.....Canelo will have fast hands and combinations coming his way...and good footwork..

Hagler didn't pancake Leonard....Holmes didn't pancake Spinks...Eubank - Thompson etc etc..

Khan completely outboxed a skilled operator in Alexander...Hammered Maidana a decent pressure fighter for a lot of the fight...

Not easy to walk through speed..combinations...

Me I think Khan will get careless...

But I see Canelo struggling to deal with Khan's speed..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 18:28

Khan isn't the same fighter he was under roach he looked horrible last time out

Khan also has one of the worst chins

Khan will beat a certain type of fighter

Canelo isn't that fighter though he walks him down

Canelo is also very accurate and doesn't waste anything he only needs to land one

Khan also isn't good at rolling punches like cotto or Floyd

I'm so sure of this I'm not even buying it

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 18:49

Algieri probably was a clash of styles and they make fights..

Just see a different fight to you mate....

It's all about opinions...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 18:58

Khan isn't Leonard, he isn't Spinks and he isn't Conn, so the size difference will play a bigger part. Alvarez will be able to do as he pleases, the power of Khan will barely register on him so if he needs to he'll just march him down knowing he hasn't got the cuteness or footwork of Mayweather to stay away.

Rhodes would beat Khan pretty handily himself so don't see the relevance of that.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 19:29

Leonard couldn't hurt Hagler.....Taylor couldn't hurt Chavez..

They couldn't walk through them....Because speed and combinations put off the pressure fighter....

Alvarez isn't in that league and neither is Khan but he's a good technician..

Plenty of stronger boxers lose to operators that don't hit hard..

.Hagler couldn't do what he wanted and Leonard had been off three years..

I was one of the few that picked Saunders to beat Lee....Because I knew he was the better operator..

Khan has a good chance..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 20:00

You can make a case for Khan all day long but eventually Canelo will catch him, he'll wobble and he'll be stopped.

Even if he reunited with Alex Ariza and managed to regain the durability he showed against Maidana, no-one is winning a decision over Alvarez (unless they dominate him like Floyd).

This won't be a good fight and it won't end well for Khan.

Last edited by hazharrison on Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 11:46; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 20:04

I pick Canelo but I think he'll have to work hard for it...

Think some posters (present company excepted) dislike Khan so much they overlook his talent..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 20:37

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I pick Canelo but I think he'll  have to work hard for it...

Think some posters (present company excepted) dislike Khan so much they overlook his talent..

I don't dislike Khan at all, but if you're telling me that he can beat someone two divisions higher than him I have to think you are crazy

Like you said though, its all about opinions, if Canelo is at light welter or welter I would make Khan the favourite apart from getting chinned

This size difference is ridiculous

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 20:43

Khan is gonna box Canelo's head off. He will take a couple of punches no doubt...but if he stays outta range, sticks and moves, works behind that jab...man that Álvarez punk ain't gonna know what hit him

Team Khan boxing

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 20:59

I have to say that this fight intrigues me. I agree that it's a fantastic match up for team Khan - nobody expected it, and he's on to a winner really. If he gets flattened, it was a step too far for him - no shame in losing to someone 2 weight classes above, but if he wins, how high will his stock rise? Not to mention that either way he makes a bucket load of cash.

I can only agree with Truss here. Khan could well be outboxing and outfoxing Alvarez before he gets careless and takes a humdinger to end it. However, if Khan is really on his A game, fights like he did against Alexander (and here's the important bit) and doesn't lose concentration he could pull off a massive upset. It's very easy to say Canelo will be too big and too powerful, but Amir's got an outside chance in this fight - I don't think it's one he could pull off. So I'm going to suggest against my better judgement that Khan takes this IF he is 100% at his best.

I love an underdog! Laugh

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 21:00

BoxingFan88 wrote:

I don't dislike Khan at all, but if you're telling me that he can beat someone two divisions higher than him I have to think you are crazy

Like you said though, its all about opinions, if Canelo is at light welter or welter I would make Khan the favourite apart from getting chinned

I said present company excepted...Encompassed the thread...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 21:09

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:

I said present company excepted...Encompassed the thread...

Haha right sorry, thought you meant just you...my bad

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 21:12

Come on now let's just all kiss, make up and look forward to Khan beating Canelo  and Wales beating Ireland tomorrow in rugby Ale

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 21:26

Highly unlikely Khan will be able to win a judges decision against Alvarez, even if he boxes a good fight and deserves one.

Ive never been hugely sold on Alvarez though, so the significant speed advantage of Khan could cause him a lot of problems. If he makes short work of Khan, like most people on here seem to be suggesting, I would be somewhat surprised despite the huge weight advantage he will hold.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 21:40

I have some more respect for Khan now. I currently don't dislike him. I will be supporting him, but I think Canelo will knock him out. Cold.

Khan will be competitive,but he ain't Floyd. He won't outbox Canelo and avoid the big one for too long. Least this is the way I see it. I hope he proves me wrong.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 22:16

Khan is brave no doubt always rises to take on a challenge

Think he bit off more than he can chew

I don't want to see him take a hiding

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 22:23

You are going to see it. Canelo is Golden boys gravy train. They wouldn't have picked Khan for nothing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd had a hand in this. He tells Khan, beat Canelo and I will face you for the middle title. Canelo wins, then Floyd has a huge money rematch for fight 50.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 22:39

AdamT wrote:You are going to see it. Canelo is Golden boys gravy train. They wouldn't have picked Khan for nothing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd had a hand in this. He tells Khan, beat Canelo and I will face you for the middle title. Canelo wins, then Floyd has a huge money rematch for fight 50.
There's little chance Canelo would fight Mayweather again, not even for all the tea in China. Canelo was reported to have considered retirement after he was humiliated by Mayweather. So whatever the cash on offer is, Canelo/de la Hoya won't be entertaining Mayweather again.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 23:17

Wow Jermaine where did you pull that crap from?

Canelo never considered retiring and he may have lost but he wasn't humiliated. Get a life...

I think Canelo is being a bit underrated. I like Khan but he can be walked down. Khans decent power kept Maidana honest, it might not help against Canelo. Khan won't angage too much and his speed will keep him upright but even if he stays upright its hard to see him winning on the backfoot

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 23:32

Jermaine2015 wrote:
AdamT wrote:You are going to see it. Canelo is Golden boys gravy train. They wouldn't have picked Khan for nothing.

There's little chance Canelo would fight Mayweather again, not even for all the tea in China. Canelo was reported to have considered retirement after he was humiliated by Mayweather. So whatever the cash on offer is, Canelo/de la Hoya won't be entertaining Mayweather again.

Money talks Jermaine and he may fancy an older..rusty Floyd..

Rather see Floyd stay retired....Rather Manny retired too.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 6 Feb 2016 - 23:54

Me too, but money talks and Floyd will most certainly fight again. I hope he doesn't and I would like Manny to retire next. Nothing to prove anymore. Both Atg's.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 0:29

BoxingFan88 wrote:Khan is brave no doubt always rises to take on a challenge

I think Khan will lose but I don't see it being a hiding. No reason why it should be a hiding really. James Toney put on weight by just getting fatter, but I never saw him being man handled by naturally bigger men or taking a hiding. He still had the chin of a middleweight but never got stopped by heavyweights.

Khan's chin might be a little better due to not having to dehydrate so much to make weight.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 7:53

if Khan's punch resistance has somehow improved, you'd give him say 40% chance of winnning because he has the reach on Alvarez, the speed on him, even the height. If he could wear 155lbs comfortably he then becomes a favourite IMO. Unfortunately I don't think he can take a middleweights punches.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 10:14

Great matchmaking by GBP. Easy win against someone the public know but don't rate and is completely risk free before his massive late summer showdown with GGG. Kid earns the easiest $$$ of the last 5 years of fights to boot.

Khan is no defensive genius. FMJ befuddled Canelo with one of the best technically brilliant performances you will see. Khan has neither the technical ability in either defence or offence or the brain to fight in that way. Garcia, Peterson, Diaz, Algieri all gave him fits. I cannot envisage any bulls*it scenario Truss comes up with that Khan doesn't get knocked out.

If Khan is so quick then why the hell has he been given fits, sparked the eff out by guys that aren't anywhere near Canelos level?!? And who were 15-20lbs lighter on entering the ring?!

Give me a break truss.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 10:42

Biggest fighter Khan has been in with by a mile? Check

Best all round fighter Khan has been in with? Check.

Biggest puncher Khan has been in with? Check

Biggest incentive for judges to score rounds against Khan he's faced? Check.

Least possible chance for Khan to get a KO he's ever had? Check.

The list could go on.

A good biggun... and all that. Khan ain't winning.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 11:43

Lance wrote:Wow Jermaine where did you pull that crap from?

Canelo never considered retiring and he may have lost but he wasn't humiliated. Get a life...

I think Canelo is being a bit underrated. I like Khan but he can be walked down. Khans decent power kept Maidana honest, it might not help against Canelo. Khan won't angage too much and his speed will keep him upright but even if he stays upright its hard to see him winning on the backfoot

Canelo wasn't humiliated? If he wasn't, he came awfully close. He barely landed a shot.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 11:45

Atila wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:Khan is brave no doubt always rises to take on a challenge

I think Khan will lose but I don't see it being a hiding. No reason why it should be a hiding really. James Toney put on weight by just getting fatter, but I never saw him being man handled by naturally bigger men or taking a hiding. He still had the chin of a middleweight but never got stopped by heavyweights.

Khan's chin might be a little better due to not having to dehydrate so much to make weight.

To be fair, Toney was busted for steroids - his neck doubled in size! It won't be a hiding as once Canelo has him going, he'll polish him off very quickly.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 11:48

Good call. Mayweather will return and Canelo is the most likely candidate. That's who he'll make the most money against.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by titaniumjaw Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 12:01

I only see a canelo win. Even under hunter Khan still
Stays in the pocket too long. Still Holds his chin in the air to be hit and still doesn't see the left hand over the top. Throw in canelo a weight advantage and accuracy and the fact that Khan does lose concentration I see a stoppage in 5-6 rounds

titaniumjaw

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 12:04

If Khan wins (cross fingers/toes and chloroform laced gloves) he'd better get Mayweather's a*se down to Wembley.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 12:18

Shah there's more chance of Father Christmas actually being real than Khan has of winning.

Stoppage odds of 1/2 for Canelo has to be the bet of the millennium.

Fair play for him taking the fight. Guy has balls but has also served to highlight how little he has between his ears

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 12:24

I see why some think Khan can win, with his speed and movement but I see this as nothing more then a huge pay day for Khan. All that matters is that he can get out unscathed.

Facing a Mexican on Cinco de Mayo will secure huge profit for Khan but Canelo is the future as far as ODLH and Goldenboy are concerned.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 12:30

I know Coxy, hence the comment about Chloroform laced gloves - but just to see Khan Mayweather at wembley if he pulls off probably the second or third greatest upset in the sport. Every boxing fan's dream to see such a super fight just around the corner from you. Likelihood is Khan won't last 5 rounds but one can dream!

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 12:37

ShahenshahG wrote:I know Coxy, hence the comment about Chloroform laced gloves - but just to see Khan Mayweather at wembley if he pulls off probably the second or third greatest upset in the sport. Every boxing fan's dream to see such a super fight just around the corner from you. Likelihood is Khan won't last 5 rounds but one can dream!

I agree shah and actually think Khan has the tools to take it to a decision but Mayweather would be 40 or close to it would'nt you rather see Khan v Brook?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 12:50

Mayweather might be 40 or so by then but he's still got it and yes I would like to see Khan Brook, will be attending it if/when it happens but would still rather see Mayweather Khan in Wembley.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 15:48

If Algeri can completely overhaul his style to become a pressure fighter in an attempt to beat Khan, then Canello can make slight tweak his to exert more urgency into his work.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 16:40

Lance wrote:Wow Jermaine where did you pull that crap from?

Is CJ Ross your wife? No seriously? Canelo looked like a baby about to burst into tears after Mayweather picked him apart easily for 12 rounds. Regardless the scorecards Canelo was lucky to win a couple of rounds.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 17:11

3fingers wrote:If Algeri can completely overhaul his style to become a pressure fighter in an attempt to beat Khan, then Canello can make slight tweak his to exert more urgency into his work.

Anybody who saw Fury v Cunningham would have thought Wlad v Fury would be manslaughter....

Alexander is a better fighter than Algieri...Not that it matters..

Styles make fights and fighters have off nights..

Algieri is irrelevant...

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 17:16; edited 1 time in total

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 17:15

Khan is at the latter end of his career, Canelo at 25 is in his prime, Khan has been caught and hurt by fighters not as big and good as Canelo.

This is not great matchmaking, a pumped up light welter who has not even proven himself as a top welter, stepping up to fight a big powerful light middle/middleweight there can only be one winner,1st decent shot Canelo lands to head or body Khan's going to realise this fight was a big mistake.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 17:20

Mayweather was 36 when he beat Canelo....

..Canelo couldn't knacker him out..

Khan looked fine against Alexander..

Several reasons for saying Khan has his hands full Nico..

But age isn't one of them..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 17:50

Khan isn't Mayweather so using your own words that fight is irrelevant.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 17:52

Chelsea scored have they mate...

I was referring to Mayweather's age....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 17:54

Mayweather's age doesn't matter a jot with reference to Khan, he had the ability to stay away something Khan does not. He performed well against Collazo and Alexander, the latter is well known to give up as soon as the going gets a little bit rough whilst the former was years past his slightly better than average best.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 17:58

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Mayweather was 36 when he beat Canelo....

..Canelo couldn't knacker him out..

Khan looked fine against Alexander..

Several reasons for saying Khan has his hands full Nico..

But age isn't one of them..
Mayweather is an ATG and has made most fighters look very ordinary, Mayweather and Khan are leagues apart, and Alexander is a very very average fighter.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 18:03

I agree but a good pressure fighter like Chavez would have worked the 36 yr old...

Khan is not 36...Khan is no Mayweather but Canelo is no Chavez..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 18:05

Not seeing the point of that post in the slightest.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 18:07

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine Khan standing up to Canelo's shots. His only chance I to be elusive for 12. Is he good and disciplined enough.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 7 Feb 2016 - 18:09

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Not seeing the point of that post in the slightest.

I can live with that..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next