Ulster V Glasgow

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ulster V Glasgow

Post by RDW_Scotland on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

Gregor Hunter will make his first start for Glasgow Warriors in Friday night’s GUINNESS PRO12 match against Ulster at the Kingspan Stadium.

Hunter signed for the Warriors in the summer of 2014 and following an ACL injury, he recovered to go on and win the Melrose 7s last year, as well as making his Warriors debut coming off the bench against Munster earlier this season.

Glasgow didn’t have a game last week with the RBS 6 Nations beginning and the Warriors have five Scotland players in the squad for the game in Belfast.

Peter Murchie starts at full-back, while Rory Hughes starts on the left wing following his try against Ospreys. On the opposite wing is Lee Jones.

Glenn Bryce and Sam Johnson start at centre, with Johnson starting his fourth consecutive game.

Gregor Hunter and Ali Price make up the half-back pairing.

In the front-row, Ryan Grant, Pat MacArthur and Sila Puafisi will pack down.

Greg Peterson and Leone Nakarawa pair up in the second-row with Number 8 Ryan Wilson captaining the team for the second game in-a-row.

Simone Favaro and Rob Harley are the named flankers.

Alex Allan, Josh Strauss, Chris Fusaro and Peter Horne have all returned from Scotland duty and are selected on the bench along with James Malcolm, D’arcy Rae, Grayson Hart and Taqele Naiyaravoro.

Head coach Gregor Townsend said: “We’re heading to the Kingspan Stadium expecting a tough match against one of the strongest teams in the league, who are currently top of the GUINNESS PRO12.

“We played well in Wales against Ospreys for around 60-65 minutes, but we’ll need an 80 minute performance tomorrow night to come away with a positive result. I’m looking forward to seeing this group of players front up in what is a big game for the club.

“Gregor Hunter has worked really hard in training this season and has been playing regularly for Glasgow Hawks, so we're expecting him to play well in a Warriors shirt tomorrow night.”

Glasgow Warriors team to play Ulster, GUINNESS PRO12, Kingspan Stadium, Friday 12 February (kick-off 7.30pm) – live on Sky Sports:  
15. Peter Murchie
14. Lee Jones
13. Glenn Bryce
12. Sam Johnson
11. Rory Hughes
10. Gregor Hunter
9. Ali Price

1. Ryan Grant
2. Pat MacArthur
3. Sila Puafisi
4. Greg Peterson
5. Leone Nakarawa
6. Rob Harley
7. Simone Favaro
8. Ryan Wilson (Captain)

Replacements

16. James Malcolm
17. Alex Allan
18. D’arcy Rae
19. Josh Strauss
20. Chris Fusaro
21. Grayson Hart
22. Peter Horne
23. Taqele Naiyaravoro

Not available due to injury: Adam Ashe (shoulder), Mike Blair (concussion), Fraser Brown (ankle), Kevin Bryce (shoulder), Alex Dunbar (posterior thigh), Tyrone Holmes (foot), Henry Pyrgos (wrist), Fergus Scott (shoulder) and Richie Vernon (shoulder).

Ulster team and replacements to play Glasgow Warriors, Guinness PRO12, Kingspan Stadium, Friday 12th February, 7.30pm:

(15-9): S Olding, C Gilroy, D Cave, S McCloskey, J Stockdale, S Windsor, R Pienaar;
(1-8): C Black, R Herring (capt), R Lutton, A O'Connor, F van der Merwe, R Diack, S Reidy, N Williams;

Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, K McCall, B Ross, C Henry, R Wilson, P Marshall, P Jackson, S Arnold.

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster V Glasgow

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:59 pm

PAUL MARSHALL! picard

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:12 pm

Incredible defence by Glasgow. Poor play from Ulster.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee on Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:21 pm

Well done Ulster and well done Glasgow for fighting to the death for the bonus point. They all count and it may well be valuable!

BigGee

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit on Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:24 pm

Well done Ulster.

Chuffed to get something from that but really need to be better to win these games. However, can't fault the heart shown by some of the younger guys - something those playing for Scotland tomorrow would do well to emulate.

Last edited by Eejit on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch on Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:50 pm

To say I'm absolutely furious at that Ulster performance is in understatement. Signing off now because I'm worried if I say any more I will literally blow a gasket steam

Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:24 pm

If I were Glasgow Id be expecting to be without Puafisi for a few weeks, dropped a shoulder into the back of Diacks head in the lead up to Glasgows first try. Touch judge was looking straight at it too, can't see the citing commissioner letting it go though

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Munchkin on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:36 pm

Happy to get the win of course, but left feeling incredibly frustrated. That was a very poor performance from Ulster. Decision making was idiotic at times, and costing us tries. The team looked like they had never played together before. Ulsters defence was shocking at times, as it was for Glasgows first try.
On a positive note, Windsor did ok, Stockdale did really well, and Gilroy was superb. Olding made some fantastic breaks, but he blew a certain try by not looking right, or even just moving right and dotting it down himself.
Glasgow, very good defence, and did well to get a point out of it, right at the death.

Munchkin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:44 pm

Pleasantly surprised to see Glasgow get a LBP from this game. Sounds like a typical battling Glasgow performance.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:54 pm

Glasgow battling hard to find some form atm. 3 points from visits to Swansea and Belfast may be valuable at the end of the season. Keep playing like that and we will be in the mix. Still a long way to go. We really need a result against Minster next week!

BigGee

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath on Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:38 am

marty2086 wrote:If I were Glasgow Id be expecting to be without Puafisi for a few weeks, dropped a shoulder into the back of Diacks head in the lead up to Glasgows first try. Touch judge was looking straight at it too, can't see the citing commissioner letting it go though

Sorry but that is just nonsense

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby on Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:43 am

Keep playing badly and winning.

I counted 8 visits within 5 metres of the Glasgow line and only 1 score - that is simply unacceptable.

Lutton showed why we need Herbst and Ah You
We were destroyed at the breakdown - although Reidy did well as a link man and Diack had some fire in his belly
Pienaer out of sorts again, Marshall headless chicken again
Windsor was carried and protected. Didn't touch the ball for 15 mins and only kicked the ball out of hand once.
The 10 minutes between Pienaer leaving the pitch and Paddy coming on were laughable - no one who could kick in the team, outside the back three.
Some simple stats

Starting 10   Finishing 10     HT                FT
Oyonnax         Humphreys  Jackson           0-23             24-23
Treviso           Humphreys   Olding             6-3               32-13
Dragons          Humphreys   Jackson          7-10             17-15
Warriors          Windsor       Jackson           3-5              13-10

That aint coincidence - total first half score 16-41 total second half score 70-20
Nelson injury is one of the most crucial this season because we have no adequate 10 backup.
Thankfully Paddy can play next week and providing at least one of Scholes or Ludik are fit Olding will be 10 at Cardiff.

Tackling was poor - Cave especially exposed.
By a country mile McCloskey and Marshall has been our best centre partnership and I would pick it even if everyone fit and available.

Olding was, in few cameos, absolutely brilliant.
Stockdale was raw but definitely a prospect - encouraging.
Gilroy was on fire and played a level of rugby Dave Kearney can only dream of but as we know steadiness not flair is what gets you in the Ireland side

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:43 am

marty2086 wrote:If I were Glasgow Id be expecting to be without Puafisi for a few weeks, dropped a shoulder into the back of Diacks head in the lead up to Glasgows first try. Touch judge was looking straight at it too, can't see the citing commissioner letting it go though

Completely missed that. If they are going down that route one of the Ulster players hit Murchie after Murchie passed for the 1st try and did not see an arm wrap. I will be interested to see Puafisi's though as I missed that.

First few minutes I was questioning the ref (think Ulster came in from the side twice on rolling mauls and the ref left it), but settled and had a fairly good day. Glasgow need to work on discipline as it is a stain on our season.

Naka was poor, Favaro gave away a couple of dumb penalties, Wilson did not handle the ref well enough in my view and no kicking game at all to speak of. We had Lee Jones on the pitch, and no one thought Gilroy is murdering Hughes, lets put our faster wing over there. Olding should have been dealt with better as well.

Puafisi somehow won the scrum battle when we had 2 second rows on the pitch (Harley=6) and Grant was acceptable. Ulster's props are no longer rated even average in my view. Horne came back and looked alright, Johnson played well, Hunter was good enough bar kicking, Peterson played well.

Ulster deserved to win. Think 3-5 at halftime was flattering Glasgow and Windsor was not awful. Stockdale was okay, Olding and Gilroy killed us. McCloskey relatively quiet. Hope Pienaar is alright and get well soon.

Think Glasgow's pack actually outplayed Ulster's, but Glasgow could not kick for love nor money and the penalty count killed any advantage we had. Ulster's forwards should be buying rounds for the back 3 who won them the match.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:52 am

Hazel Sapling wrote: . Ulster's props are no longer rated even average in my view.

Just to be clear the guys who started for Ulster will be 3rd choice in their respective positions next year and neither is 1st choice this year.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:25 am

cakeordeath wrote:

It was 6ft in front of me, Diack was stuck at the side of a ruck with his back to him

Hazel Sapling wrote:Completely missed that. If they are going down that route one of the Ulster players hit Murchie after Murchie passed for the 1st try and did not see an arm wrap. I will be interested to see Puafisi's though as I missed that.

First few minutes I was questioning the ref (think Ulster came in from the side twice on rolling mauls and the ref left it), but settled and had a fairly good day. Glasgow need to work on discipline as it is a stain on our season.

I was still watching Diack and Puafisi so missed the tackle on Murchie, the ref was shocking, he was inconsistent at the break down early on and it did seem there was no gate for either side at the rucks and both sides were guilty at the maul of going round the side

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:28 am

marty2086 wrote:
cakeordeath wrote:

It was 6ft in front of me, Diack was stuck at the side of a ruck with his back to him

Hazel Sapling wrote:Completely missed that. If they are going down that route one of the Ulster players hit Murchie after Murchie passed for the 1st try and did not see an arm wrap. I will be interested to see Puafisi's though as I missed that.

I was still watching Diack and Puafisi so missed the tackle on Murchie, the ref was shocking, he was inconsistent at the break down early on and it did seem there was no gate for either side at the rucks and both sides were guilty at the maul of going round the side

I don't agree, from the side you can clearly see that he thinks the ball is short, and it does look that this is the case, he goes down to un-lodge the ball and falls on top of the Ulster player. I am not denying he landed on the try scorer.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:35 am

geoff999rugby wrote:Marshall headless chicken again

After the sin binning we got down towards the Glasgow line, had the numbers out left for three phases and he didn't even consider it

geoff999rugby wrote:Windsor was carried and protected. Didn't touch the ball for 15 mins and only kicked the ball out of hand once.

Some of his kicking in the warm up was bad, McCloskey at one point seen Windsor out him and almost froze as he didn't seem to want to pass to him and Olding took a big hit of one of his passes

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:36 am

cakeordeath wrote:I don't agree, from the side you can clearly see that he thinks the ball is short, and it does look that this is the case, he goes down to un-lodge the ball and falls on top of the Ulster player. I am not denying he landed on the try scorer.

I think you're talking about a different incident

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby on Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:14 pm

After Windsor gave Olding that hospital pass - you could see Olding was spitting fire and he is normally an easy going sort of guy.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch on Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:42 pm

It was quite painfully obvious Windsor wasn't trusted by the players around him. The 10 minutes we spent without Pienaar babysitting him before halftime were nightmarish! Headless chicken Marshall and a 10 who can't kick.

Windsor has a nice pass, I'm surprised he hasn't tried to focus on being an inside centre not a 10 long before now.

Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:29 pm

Ulster don't need any more centres especially one that looks like McCloskey extra lite.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling on Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:08 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:First few minutes I was questioning the ref (think Ulster came in from the side twice on rolling mauls and the ref left it), but settled and had a fairly good day. Glasgow need to work on discipline as it is a stain on our season.

Marty 2086 wrote:I was still watching Diack and Puafisi so missed the tackle on Murchie, the ref was shocking, he was inconsistent at the break down early on and it did seem there was no gate for either side at the rucks and both sides were guilty at the maul of going round the side

As long as he was consistently s**t, I can get over it. Coming in at the side has been driving me up the wall after last week with Gibbon, the first couple in this one and Clancy in the Wales game. If Glasgow did it, at the very least we played the ref. I hope that is something that gets addressed.

As for early on, I agree poor but he seemed to settle after 20 minutes or so. I have seen worse this season. English refs seem to be a bit better in my opinion and an exchange program with Super Rugby and Aviva should be talked about. Be good for refs to go assist Super 18 and take on a few Currie Cup/ITM Cup games.

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Looked like I was quoting myself.)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Munchkin on Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:56 pm

hmmmm...in your opinion. Reading the forums of English fans, I'm not sure I can agree.

Munchkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:17 pm

The SH referees aren't any better either from what I can see.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:18 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:The SH referees aren't any better either from what I can see.

Glen Jackson did a good job in the Italy England game, one of the best from a ref in a while

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch on Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:53 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Ulster don't need any more  centres especially one that looks like McCloskey extra lite.

I don't mean for us; he doesn't have a future with us in any position to be blunt. I mean in general.

I mean why he's been trying to get game time as a 10 at half the clubs in Europe when he can't kick for love nor money? Talk about pushing a boulder up a hill.

Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath on Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:16 pm

marty2086 wrote:
cakeordeath wrote:I don't agree, from the side you can clearly see that he thinks the ball is short, and it does look that this is the case, he goes down to un-lodge the ball and falls on top of the Ulster player. I am not denying he landed on the try scorer.

Do you know when on the clock this happens?

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:08 pm

cakeordeath wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Do you know when on the clock this happens?

Just before the first Glasgow try, rolling maul goes down on the far side, Puafisi goes in with the shoulder to Diacks back. Cant see it on the game footage though other than Puafisi hitting the ruck.

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:05 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum