The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Head Injury Retiree...

Go down

Another Head Injury Retiree... Empty Another Head Injury Retiree...

Post by Guest Wed 17 Feb 2016, 10:28 am

Matthew Pewtner, a winger aged 25, has been forced to retired after not recovering from a head injury. Not a big name perhaps, but was in and out of the Dragons match day team over the last few years. Very sad.

That's two for the Dragons this year (Ashley Smith the other), which is quite a rate. And the article states that Jonathan Thomas (not linked to the Dragons) retired after developing epilepsy linked to rugby head injuries, which I hadn't realized.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35593785?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_backing_the_boys&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=wales

"Newport Gwent Dragons wing Matthew Pewtner has been forced to retire from injury on medical advice.

A statement issued by the region said the player had failed to recover from a head injury.

The 25-year-old started his career with Blackwood and played sevens for Wales.

Pewtner said: "I am devastated that I have been forced to retire from rugby through injury. It has been very difficult to come to terms with, but I know that it is the right decision."

In May 2015, another Dragons player Ashley Smith had to retire at the age of 28 following a "series of concussive events".

And in September former Wales back-row Jonathan Thomas retired after being diagnosed with epilepsy linked to head traumas suffered while playing.

Dragons director of rugby Lyn Jones added: "It saddens us all to hear that Matthew has been forced to retire.

"We are all grateful for Matthew's fantastic contribution to the team throughout the years he has been with the region. We wish him all the best for the future."

In addition to playing seven for Wales, Pewtner was capped at under-20 level in 2009-10.

He said he would be studying for a teaching qualification."

Back to top Go down