The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dubai 2016 match thread

+14
sirfredperry
JuliusHMarx
HM Murdock
It Must Be Love
summerblues
bogbrush
Danny_1982
temporary21
lydian
Guest82
Haddie-nuff
paulcz
LuvSports!
socal1976
18 posters

Go down

Dubai 2016 match thread Empty Dubai 2016 match thread

Post by socal1976 Wed 24 Feb 2016, 7:36 pm

Funny no one did one of these. Anyway we get Djoko v. Lopez and Berdcyh v. Kyrgios is also a saucy little match up of big hitting attack minded players. Lopez can trouble Novak on this court because his style is so unorthodox and his serve is so big on these quick courts. In the other matchup it is interesting to see how hot Nick is. He has some wins against lesser guys but is going to be also beating top ten players and established top tier players like Berdych, basically the guys who get to London almost every year. Its a good heat check, in basketball sometimes when a scorer is really hot he tries a super tough shot from distance well basically,"I know I am hot but let see how hot" mentality. Hence where the expression heat check comes from. And for Nick this will be a good heat check.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Dubai 2016 match thread Empty Re: Dubai 2016 match thread

Post by LuvSports! Wed 24 Feb 2016, 8:58 pm

I wonder how much he will have left in the tank (Kyrgios).
He beat Gasquet, Berd, Cilic in straights last week and has barely stopped since.
Would love it if he won but can see Berd winning.
Easy win for Novak.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Wed 24 Feb 2016, 10:51 pm

I agree with many who say he has no brain, but he surely has game to hurt anybody. This kind of player can be very tricky on his day, but his career will be up and down. He can get on the top soon, but much more difficult for him will be to stay there. His name is not without reason similar to hot gyros. Anyway he brings some new cheeky air on courts.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 25 Feb 2016, 6:55 am

Ive been the first to complain about this lad's attitude and
I sincerely hope he can do some work in the mental department because I agree he has massive talent and the spark that the game needs at the moment. He has enormous potential

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Thu 25 Feb 2016, 2:01 pm

Kyrgios beats Berdych in straight sets. He's looking decent at the moment...would like to see him v Stan in the semi final.

Dolgopolov beat Ferrer overnight too - think this may be the year Ferrer falls away from the top ten.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 25 Feb 2016, 2:42 pm

Hope so.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 25 Feb 2016, 2:58 pm

Ditto, have always called Ferret's style "agricultural"...maybe he's about to start moving into arable land. Nice guy but his tennis is as dull as dishwater.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 25 Feb 2016, 5:26 pm

Well, heat check is passed by Nicky, I mean that is a tough win against a top player who is very consistent. This validates that maybe what we have seen from him the last couple weeks could be him building his game to another level. I like the kids game and style. Interestingly, Kyrgios is exactly the kind of player we were told could never emerge in this horrific world of slowed down conditions. He is an out and out attacker with flair and watchability. He also has good hands at net except in that he doesn't bend enough and use his legs on the low volley he over relys on his hands and he flubs a few volleys because he doesn't get down to them.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 25 Feb 2016, 5:34 pm

Novak has to pull out of the lopez match after one set through illness. Real shame but I guess its better here than in a couple of weeks

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 25 Feb 2016, 5:42 pm

temporary21 wrote:Novak has to pull out of the lopez match after one set through illness. Real shame but I guess its better here than in a couple of weeks

I think they gave him some gluten in his cake celebrating his 700 match win, he was gluten poisoned like some Tottenham Hotspur Lasagna.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 25 Feb 2016, 5:48 pm

socal1976 wrote:
temporary21 wrote:Novak has to pull out of the lopez match after one set through illness. Real shame but I guess its better here than in a couple of weeks

I think they gave him some gluten in his cake celebrating his 700 match win, he was gluten poisoned like some Tottenham Hotspur Lasagna.

Haha. I work with a spurs fan who still talks about lasagna-gate to this day! Perhaps Murray and Federer helped mix the cake? Might be the most realistic way of stopping him right now.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 25 Feb 2016, 5:53 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:
socal1976 wrote:

Haha. I work with a spurs fan who still talks about lasagna-gate to this day! Perhaps Murray and Federer helped mix the cake? Might be the most realistic way of stopping him right now.

I know I had to cheer myself up somehow today and a football team losing champions league qualification to the squirts over some bad Lasagna is an endless source of comedy.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 25 Feb 2016, 5:53 pm

Ah, it's just like the old days, with Novak bailing out when he feels a bit under the weather. Pity he didn't feel it possible to play the set and give Lopez the moment.

Was there a lengthy MTO to complete the picture?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 25 Feb 2016, 5:55 pm

bogbrush wrote:Ah, it's just like the old days, with Novak bailing out when he feels a bit under the weather. Pity he didn't feel it possible to play the set and give Lopez the moment.

Yes just like Roger gave the entire the tour the bird by pulling out of the WTF final and playing like five days later in Davis Cup.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 25 Feb 2016, 6:02 pm

Arrgghhhh, I was hoping to see Kyrgios vs Nole.

Also, that leaves Ivan's 18 consecutive finals safe for a while.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 25 Feb 2016, 6:13 pm

socal1976 wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Ah, it's just like the old days, with Novak bailing out when he feels a bit under the weather. Pity he didn't feel it possible to play the set and give Lopez the moment.

Yes just like Roger gave the entire the tour the bird by pulling out of the WTF final and playing like five days later in Davis Cup.

I wonder how many retirements that makes for Novak? Could it be an Open Era record?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 25 Feb 2016, 6:20 pm

bogbrush wrote:
socal1976 wrote:

I wonder how many retirements that makes for Novak? Could it be an Open Era record?

Maybe, the guy has a lengthy documented history of allergy and respiratory problems that plagued him early in his career. You remember, back when you were dismissing him as a hypochondriac with one mono induced slam. Did you enjoy making fun of sick people when you were in high school and are you now trying to relive the glory days?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 25 Feb 2016, 6:45 pm

boxing /handbags

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Thu 25 Feb 2016, 7:51 pm

I'm enjoying this.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:21 pm

To be sure. Any ideas of him being a quitter are way wide of the mark nowadays he's earned the respect of the locker room as one of the ironmen of tennis

If he retired as a means to protect his long term health for the season then that's a sensible, if disappointing for us , play

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:21 pm

socal1976 wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
socal1976 wrote:

Maybe, the guy has a lengthy documented history of allergy and respiratory problems that plagued him early in his career. You remember, back when you were dismissing him as a hypochondriac with one mono induced slam. Did you enjoy making fun of sick people when you were in high school and are you now trying to relive the glory days?
Yeah I kick beggars too, when I'm not mocking players who make their sport look as manly as figure skating.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:35 pm

“It's an eye problem,” Djokovic said. “I have had it ever since I arrived in Dubai. It started with an infection and then severe allergy.

Nice riff on an old theme!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 25 Feb 2016, 9:09 pm

HM Murdock wrote:“It's an eye problem,” Djokovic said. “I have had it ever since I arrived in Dubai. It started with an infection and then severe allergy.

Nice riff on an old theme!
It's always great to see star performers play some of their old stuff!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 25 Feb 2016, 9:25 pm

His eyes did look fecked.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 25 Feb 2016, 9:53 pm

bogbrush wrote:
socal1976 wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
socal1976 wrote:

Yeah I kick beggars too, when I'm not mocking players who make their sport look as manly as figure skating.

Yeah, we know djokovic isn't manly enough for you he uses two hands on the backhand and withdraws, ok Rambo please tell us how the guy who chips every return about as hard as my granny hits it is so manly. I mean when I think manly the first thing that comes to my mind is a ponce in a cream colored, self monogrammed leisure suit preening around Wimbeldon like Oscar Wilde sponsored by Nike.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 12:36 am

May I suggest a little more respect, both for fellow posters (both of you) and for both players, neither of whom really deserve this sort of criticism given what they do over the year

He apparently had an allergic reaction. Quite clearly this is something he suffers from more seriously than you average person does, where its mostly an annoyance. By which case I understand him pulling out of a 500 tourney. Obviously the consecutive finals record means nothing to him and would rather be ready to win the 1000 series coming up.

If it was a GS hed go to the death nowadays im sure

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:37 am

i decline your kind offer to pussyfoot around, temp, and reserve my freedom to assert opinions that come not within a mile of breaching forum rules.

i am quite sure Djokovic will get over the news that I have noted his reprise of his days of being a serial quitter. Not sure about socal, who has bafflingly related this to my authoritative statements on the femininity of the double-handed backhand, but I'm pleased to say he has also asserted his opinion entirely within forum rules and clearly has no more need of your flawed intervention than I.

That said, we all recognise your valuable interventions to forum decorum and this isolated incident of overreaction won't impact on my personal sincere appreciation.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:47 am

Yes, Temp. you might not be aware but BB and I are on quite good and satisfactory terms after a somewhat tortured past, although I find most of his ideas on tennis and a few other topics to be completely wrong and I am sure he feels vice versa towards  my ideas. I would second that neither of us violated any rules, and trust me my well meaning friend this is hardly what would be classified as a fight of any kind between us.  If we were fighting you guys would all know it I am sure.

Although naughty Murdock, IMBL, and Luvsports did try to wum us up a little with their little cheerleading session of our mild disagreement on the manly qualities of each respective champion. But of course I forgive them there was some great online comedy produced in those battle royales, quite a bit of it at my expense but I occasionally dished out a tiny bit myself.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 26 Feb 2016, 8:30 am

Awww, you guys! heart

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 26 Feb 2016, 8:35 am

Let's hope this eye prob clears up quickly, for Djoko's sake. Just shows how difficult it is to predict a CYGS for Djoko when something like this - not down to form or fitness - can crop up.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 26 Feb 2016, 8:44 am

socal1976 wrote:Although naughty Murdock, IMBL, and Luvsports did try to wum us up a little
I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked!

But having seen the scorched earth of previous Socal v BB battles, none of the above registers as more than a tickle.

Of course, if it had been RG where this happened, or a serious injury, I'd be much less lighthearted about it.

But an eye infection at a 500 event? Pfft. It was worth it just to see Socal use the word "ponce"!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 9:18 am

HM Murdock wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Although naughty Murdock, IMBL, and Luvsports did try to wum us up a little
I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked!

But having seen the scorched earth of previous Socal v BB battles, none of the above registers as more than a tickle.

Of course, if it had been RG where this happened, or a serious injury, I'd be much less lighthearted about it.

But an eye infection at a 500 event? Pfft. It was worth it just to see Socal use the word "ponce"!

Yes, sometimes I wonder what some of the newer posters who get upset at certain things would feel like if they witnessed the thrilla in manila extend over I think nearly two years. I bet it was like Julius' Vietnam as a moderator and he still gets twitchy about it.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 26 Feb 2016, 9:22 am

What happened?

Too much oxygen from the egg chamber blew Djokos eye?

He was not in the mood this week, so old tricks to quit.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 9:33 am

sirfredperry wrote:Let's hope this eye prob clears up quickly, for Djoko's sake. Just shows how difficult it is to predict a CYGS for Djoko when something like this - not down to form or fitness - can crop up.  

Sir Fred, this is why I never thought any of the great champions in their pomp were favorites for CYGS because with the travel, strain, and just sheer luck of completing the slam in 28 five set matches is just too much. I mean Novak was super close last year, Wawrinka himself admits that match was the best he has ever played. It is unfortunate for Novak, but that is what can and usually will happen given all the chances for something to go wrong over the course of the year and four slams.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Fri 26 Feb 2016, 9:59 am

Kyrgios should beat Stan fairly easily today on current form - this isn't a slam. I wonder if F-Lo might cause him some problems in the final with his leftie game? Baggy I can't see beating him.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 1:29 pm

socal1976 wrote:Yes, Temp. you might not be aware but BB and I are on quite good and satisfactory terms after a somewhat tortured past, although I find most of his ideas on tennis and a few other topics to be completely wrong and I am sure he feels vice versa towards  my ideas. I would second that neither of us violated any rules, and trust me my well meaning friend this is hardly what would be classified as a fight of any kind between us.  If we were fighting you guys would all know it I am sure.

Although naughty Murdock, IMBL, and Luvsports did try to wum us up a little with their little cheerleading session of our mild disagreement on the manly qualities of each respective champion. But of course I forgive them there was some great online comedy produced in those battle royales, quite a bit of it at my expense but I occasionally dished out a tiny bit myself.
I am not aware at all you two are friends, since you two have not once acted like it. If these are friendly banter battles, might I ask you make them a bit more... well ... funny and friendly. Otherwise it looks like youre just turning into two fanboys having it out like its youtube comments or something, which I will ask about, it being my job and all.

I appreciate you having a laugh, but if you do this and I ask. Don't immediately complain, like you've done here, explain it, it is my job to ask after all.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 26 Feb 2016, 1:36 pm

Moral Police is back! Chill temp, all going good here.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 26 Feb 2016, 2:03 pm

Yes!

We can get to watch a mens tournament where the latter stages are Egg Chamber Free!

11th retirement of his career Dubai 2016 match thread 1347041234
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:26 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Yes!

We can get to watch a mens tournament where the latter stages are Egg Chamber Free!

Does that give you a chubby?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 26 Feb 2016, 6:57 pm

temporary21 wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Yes, Temp. you might not be aware but BB and I are on quite good and satisfactory terms after a somewhat tortured past, although I find most of his ideas on tennis and a few other topics to be completely wrong and I am sure he feels vice versa towards  my ideas. I would second that neither of us violated any rules, and trust me my well meaning friend this is hardly what would be classified as a fight of any kind between us.  If we were fighting you guys would all know it I am sure.

I am not aware at all you two are friends, since you two have not once acted like it. If these are friendly banter battles, might I ask you make them a bit more... well ... funny and friendly. Otherwise it looks like youre just turning into two fanboys having it out like its youtube comments or something, which I will ask about, it being my job and all.

I appreciate you having a laugh, but if you do this and I ask. Don't immediately complain, like you've done here, explain it, it is my job to ask after all.
I think you're wrong. If you can show me the rules where posters can't squabble then I'll accept it but do you seriously think the forum is diminished by some banter? Other posters seemed to be jostling for good seats!

The best referee goes unnoticed.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 26 Feb 2016, 7:09 pm

For what it's worth, the term "fanboy" is derogative at best.
It's also arguable in many respects that "fanboys" and their oft good knowledge of the sport (vs lay public) actually make most of these forums go round...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 26 Feb 2016, 10:20 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Kyrgios should beat Stan fairly easily today on current form - this isn't a slam. I wonder if F-Lo might cause him some problems in the final with his leftie game? Baggy I can't see beating him.

Should not!!!

Go Stan!!!
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 26 Feb 2016, 10:24 pm

lydian wrote:For what it's worth, the term "fanboy" is derogative at best.
It's also arguable in many respects that "fanboys" and their oft good knowledge of the sport (vs lay public) actually make most of these forums go round...

Agree, we are all tired of high quality knowledgeble tennis talk and the competition of who is the smartest poster here.

Since no GS around, can the smart guys here lower the quality of posts here a little, thanks.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 26 Feb 2016, 10:30 pm

socal1976 wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:Yes!

Does that give you a chubby?

You into bbw then? Nice.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 27 Feb 2016, 5:16 am

Not Dubai but Thiem very easily beats Querrey to advance to the Acapulco final.

This is his first HC final as well as his first ATP500 final.

His match against Tomic could be good. Tomic seems to be finally getting more serious about his game too.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 27 Feb 2016, 7:48 am

Thiem was always earmarked as early talent...seems to be fulfilling that now...and a proponent of SHBH too Smile
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Sat 27 Feb 2016, 5:52 pm

Good final between Stan and Baggy. Congrats to Stan for the win. Good for Baggy to reach a 500 event final, his ranking is moving in the right direction.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 27 Feb 2016, 6:23 pm

Amazing tiebreak to decide the match - 15-13 to Stan the Man. A little matter of nine wins in a row in finals for the Swiss. Good to see Baggy doing well again.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 27 Feb 2016, 8:02 pm

Well done Stan.

Hope he wins the FO again, sure he needs his silly shorts from last year Smile
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content