The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Go Again! The Premier League thread

+43
Good Golly I'm Olly
Mad for Chelsea
Scott is Back
JDizzle
dyrewolfe
Jermaine2015
temporary21
TRUSSMAN66
daraghj82
Born Slippy
Lowlandbrit
nadeem2099
1GrumpyGolfer
Mackem
MIG
President Trump
Marky
LivinginItaly
Holymiky
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Ent
sportform
hornbloweroafc
Azzy
compelling and rich
Mat
hampo17
lfc91
GSC
guildfordbat
westisbest
Stella
dummy_half
Alistair
Breadvan
Geordie
sirfredperry
Duty281
Dolphin Ziggler
Corporalhumblebucket
NickisBHAFC
Hero
Crimey
47 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 11 Empty We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Crimey Wed 2 Mar - 20:54

First topic message reminder :

This would be a huge day for Leicester if it stays like it is.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 11 Empty Re: We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Crimey Mon 21 Mar - 12:48

Especially as they'll all likely be low seeds and get very difficult groups.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 11 Empty Re: We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 21 Mar - 12:54

But three of those are out already. Man united didn't make it through a urine easy group.

Moreover, who is better right now; Man United or Spurs? City or Leicester? Chelsea or West Ham. Better teams go farther

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 21 Mar - 13:07

nadeem2099 wrote:
sirfredperry wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Nobody wants him (Kane) to fail but a few myself included are baffled by his continued success, he keeps scoring though which is the only thing that matters.

One of Kane's qualities is his willingness to shoot at every opportunity, with either feet. Too many forwards waste precious seconds in front of goal trying to manoeuvre the ball on to their stronger foot.
  While we're on the subject of stronger feet/hands, why do right-handed goalkeepers go for high shots to their left with their RIGHT hand ? There is only so far you can reach with that hand when trying to stop a shot high to your left. Watch the next time a screamer goes in high to a keeper's left and wonder if he might have got a finger tip to it if he'd used his left hand.
Wouldn't you have more reach if you used your right hand if you dived towards your left? The only reason a keeper would use the other hand would be if the shot was a low one and he would have had to dive on the ground to save it. Like this for example.  If that shot was low, Lloris would use his left hand instead.

Oh dear. I seem to have got my argument all wrong as, of course, Loris is left-handed but still chooses - very well in this clip - to go for a high ball with his RIGHT hand ! Older posters might recall a tremendous right-rather-than-left save by Peter Shilton from a Kenny Dalglish shot in an England-Scotland match years back. But then Shilts was pretty good whatever method he used.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 21 Mar - 13:26

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:But three of those are out already. Man united didn't make it through a urine easy group.

Moreover, who is better right now; Man United or Spurs? City or Leicester? Chelsea or West Ham. Better teams go farther

The Tories won't like you teaching Americanized variants of spelling you know.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Mar - 13:38

Crimey wrote:Especially as they'll all likely be low seeds and get very difficult groups.

havent read all the comments, but is this directed at leicester? under the rules, they would be top seeds, being champions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 21 Mar - 14:02

John wrote:
Crimey wrote:Especially as they'll all likely be low seeds and get very difficult groups.

havent read all the comments, but is this directed at leicester? under the rules, they would be top seeds, being champions.

Directed at Leicester, Tottenham and West Ham. I forgot that they recently changed that rule, but I believe Tottenham and West Ham would be judged on their recent European form, so would be third or fourth seeds?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 21 Mar - 14:13

Well West Ham currently sit 117 on the coefficiency table, two places below Hull so I can't see them getting anything but a 4th seed pot. Spurs though are currently 22nd so may squeak into the 2nd pot dependent upon the number of higher clubs that aren't in next years (Utd, Chelsea & City are all higher so that drops it down three places if none of them make it).

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 21 Mar - 14:30

Looking through who's currently above Spurs that won't possibly make it, there's Utd, Chelsea & City from England, Valencia & Sevilla from La Liga, and potentially one or both of Schalke and Leverkusen from the Bundesliga so 7 clubs. Leicester though automatically would be getting the 1st pot as champs, same for Ajax/PSV in Netherlands, Bilbao will probably go past Spurs as they're still in Europe and only slightly behind Spurs in 23rd.

Currently I've got the top two pots as:

Pot 1
Bayern
Barcelona
Benfica
PSG
Juventus
Zenit St Petersburg
Leicester
Ajax/PSV

Pot 2
Real Madrid
Atletico Madrid
Dortmund
Arsenal
Porto
Napoli
Basel
Shaktar

Spurs therefore will be in Pot 3.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 21 Mar - 15:04

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:But three of those are out already. Man united didn't make it through a urine easy group.

United group wasn't easy, Psv and Wolfsburg are good sides. Away trips to moscow aren't easy.

Chelsea went further in cl despite what league table says, not so cut and dried.

The main issue is balancing Europe and league, lots of teams outside the established sides struggle across Europe.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 21 Mar - 16:04

Crimey wrote:
Olly wrote:
Hero wrote:Can you see a quartet of Leicester, Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham setting Europe alight? I know the 'established' top four have failed to get to the latter stages in the past couple of years but I just can't see the big clubs of Europe holding any fear for our offering next season.

They can't do any worse than what utd/Liverpool offered in the CL this season tbf

Liverpool really struggled in the Champions League this season, didn't even manage to play a game in it!

See - useless! Smile
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 21 Mar - 16:06

You know what, I'd back us to have gotten out of that group. For a Champions League group that is ruddy easy. Easier than John Ruddy's sister in fact if what I have been told is true!

But these teams will buy more, and better than before. Right now West Ham's squad is probably just as good, if not better, than Man United's.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Mar - 16:16

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:You know what, I'd back us to have gotten out of that group. For a Champions League group that is ruddy easy. Easier than John Ruddy's sister in fact if what I have been told is true!

But these teams will buy more, and better than before. Right now West Ham's squad is probably just as good, if not better, than Man United's.

Lay off the jellied eels, me old son. thumbsup

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 21 Mar - 16:29

I aint 'avin a bubble, ya lemon. Load of old pony that we couldn't have done better. I'd take about two or three players from Man United to start for us, some good squad acquisitions no doubt but a real lack of talent.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 21 Mar - 16:34

Apparently Collymore said that no Utd player would make the West Ham team. I find it hard to believe that De Gea wouldn't walk in.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 21 Mar - 16:35

Pray tell which 2 or 3 players would be good enough to grace your all-conquering galacticos?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 21 Mar - 16:36

Stella wrote:Apparently Collymore said that no Utd player would make the West Ham team. I find it hard to believe that De Gea wouldn't walk in.

So Dolph and Collymore are on a similar wavelength, explains a lot.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 21 Mar - 16:57

Hero wrote:Pray tell which 2 or 3 players would be good enough to grace your all-conquering galacticos?

Darmian is probably better than Byram, although Darmian before LVG killed him. De Gea is undoubtedly better than Adrian, not a dig on Adrian either but I genuinely believe De Gea is the best keeper in the world. And I'd have Martial.

Herrera, Mata, Rooney, Smalling, Carrick are all fantastic players but not sure I would have them as either better or suited to the team. Rooney would be in were it not for the fact you would only need one striker and Martial over Rooney for me.

Don't think Smalling is better than Ogbonna or Reid, although likely as good, whilst Shaw I worry about how he'll return.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 21 Mar - 17:05

Interesting that I have to be overconfident or arrogant not to put your players in my team. Would be the norm for you to say that without batting an eyelid.

Last edited by Dolphin Ziggler on Mon 21 Mar - 17:10; edited 1 time in total

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 21 Mar - 17:07

My combined West Ham/Utd XI

De Gea

Darmian
Smalling
Reid
Cresswell

Kouyate
Carrick

Payet
Mata
Martial

Rooney
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 21 Mar - 17:15

Does Luke Shaw count? Obviously he goes ahead of Cresswell (as much as I do rate Cresswell)

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 21 Mar - 17:24

I'd personally have Lanzini over Mata or Rooney, with Martial starting up top in the latter situation (Lanzini works hard, keeps the ball and better deeper), Obgonna over Smalling (better on the ball so wont be left with it to stop team playing from the back). Not so sure I rate Shaw over Cresswell just yet, though probably. I like Shaw but Cresswell's delivery is miles better.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 21 Mar - 17:40

NickisBHAFC wrote:Does Luke Shaw count? Obviously he goes ahead of Cresswell (as much as I do rate Cresswell)

I have them about even - but Shaw is just a complete unknown at the minute unfortunately - such a horrible injury

Smalling is deffo better than Ogbonna from what I've seen - and I prefer Martial out wide to up top
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Mon 21 Mar - 17:42

Olly wrote:My combined West Ham/Utd XI

De Gea

Darmian
Smalling
Reid
Cresswell

Kouyate
Carrick

Payet
Mata
Martial

Rooney
I also agree Kouyate should be there over Schneiderlin, Schweinstige and Herrera. He's been much better than all 3 this season. Underated player.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 21 Mar - 18:26

Hero wrote:Leicester though automatically would be getting the 1st pot as champs, same for Ajax/PSV in Netherlands, Bilbao will probably go past Spurs as they're still in Europe and only slightly behind Spurs in 23rd.
Dutch coefficient has taken a beating thanks to a combination of poor results and too many teams qualifying (thanks to a couple of outstanding seasons before that). I think Ukraine are in 8th as it stands.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 21 Mar - 19:09

Ent wrote:

United group wasn't easy, Psv and Wolfsburg are good sides. Away trips to moscow aren't easy.

Chelsea went further in cl despite what league table says, not so cut and dried.

The main issue is balancing Europe and league, lots of teams outside the established sides struggle across Europe.

Thus far Man United have played 48 game including mid week trips around Europe during the season compared to West Ham having played 40 games with a few trips around Europe before the season proper.

Spurs may do a decent job of balancing the two due to a lot of Europa League experience and having a fair bit of money to spend but the Leicester and West Ham will either fail in Europe or see their league form suffer.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 22 Mar - 0:05

West Ham have identified Christian Benteke, Michy Batshuayi and Alexandre Lacazette as priority transfer targets as they chase one of Europe's top centre-forwards this summer, Sky sources understand.

The latter two have been reported for a while, Batshuayi has been on the radar for a year at least and the owners sons have both admitted we want him.

All three targets are being reported in other countries too. Although news is that Benteke is firmly third choice of those three and interest has cooled

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 22 Mar - 8:45

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:You know what, I'd back us to have gotten out of that group. For a Champions League group that is ruddy easy. Easier than John Ruddy's sister in fact if what I have been told is true!

wait till we haven't got a clueless clown in charge and then we'll show we have a better team

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 22 Mar - 8:51

also to go back a few pages, flechter at his best was miles better than milner will ever be. milner looked alright in a city side because he had better players around him and he was simply the "legs". similar role to flecth but darren did it much much better. he was a absolute massive miss in the champions league final, as his form at the time was superb and there wasnt many better players who could have chased messi all game.

havent seen much of him this season as im not silly enough to put myself through watching wba too much but glad it sounds like he's regained form

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Tue 22 Mar - 11:47

compelling and rich wrote:also to go back a few pages, flechter at his best was miles better than milner will ever be. milner looked alright in a city side because he had better players around him and he was simply the "legs". similar role to flecth but darren did it much much better. he was a absolute massive miss in the champions league final, as his form at the time was superb and there wasnt many better players who could have chased messi all game.

havent seen much of him this season as im not silly enough to put myself through watching wba too much but glad it sounds like he's regained form

Can't be any worse than watching United Wink

He's been big for us this season, maybe not as much impact as he had when he arrived in January last season but still massively important. Evans has also been fantastic, even with Pulis Wee weeing him around playing him in midfield and at left back. Maybe a slight bias but I can't be having that Blind is a better option at centre back than Evans.

Still, Milner would walk into our side.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 22 Mar - 12:34

I liked Evans, was surprised he was sold.

Too passive though, didn't dominate his man enough.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Tue 22 Mar - 12:59

Probably right, he plays alongside McAuley with us who does the more physical side of the job, Evans can then just sweep up, positioning and all that kind of stuff.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 22 Mar - 13:26

Mat why did you play jonny Evans and Craig Gardner as your left side at home against Norwich?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 22 Mar - 13:29

Probably thought "**** it, its Norwich"
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 22 Mar - 13:40

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/03/21/exclusive-referees-live-in-fear-as-grass-roots-game-spirals-out/

Hopefully, referees in the Premier League and Football League will soon undergo strike action, as a means of getting the FA to deal with this situation. The alternative is, of course, that English football gradually bleeds the well of officials dry.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 22 Mar - 14:28

Manuel Lanzini has signed a permanent deal with West Ham, £9 million deal. Good job that, imagine there'd have been a lot of interest from Premier League sides in the summer. Probably still will be but at least West Ham will get the money now if he is sold.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 22 Mar - 14:38

Mat wrote:Probably right, he plays alongside McAuley with us who does the more physical side of the job, Evans can then just sweep up, positioning and all that kind of stuff.

the best seasons for evans was when he got a run next to vidic, he had a great season or two when he's the defender who doesnt have to do the dirty work

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 22 Mar - 16:20

Crimey wrote:Manuel Lanzini has signed a permanent deal with West Ham, £9 million deal. Good job that, imagine there'd have been a lot of interest from Premier League sides in the summer. Probably still will be but at least West Ham will get the money now if he is sold.

Again, they'd have to throw money around, and I guess that if anyone else was coming in (or had a chance of taking him) then agent talk would have happened and the Jewel wouldnt have signed anything. Pretty chuffed with that, Kouyate and Payet also on longer deals so we're securing a lot.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 22 Mar - 18:07

compelling and rich wrote:
Mat wrote:Probably right, he plays alongside McAuley with us who does the more physical side of the job, Evans can then just sweep up, positioning and all that kind of stuff.

the best seasons for evans was when he got a run next to vidic, he had a great season or two when he's the defender who doesnt have to do the dirty work

I remember it a bit differently, wasn't he alongside Ferdinand at the time, dictating to him what to do at all times?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Mackem Wed 23 Mar - 7:21

In his first loan spell at Sunderland Evans controlled our back four pretty well getting is promoted back to the premier league. I was pretty hopeful we would sign him but he decided to fight for his place at utd. In his second loan spell he helped us avoid relegation.

Mackem

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 23 Mar - 7:55

And you look at Shawcross now too. His impact on Stoke this year has proven his ability

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 23 Mar - 15:49

Bastian Schweinstiger partially tears medial collateral ligament on Internation duty could miss the Euro's

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 23 Mar - 15:58

That should have absolutely no impact on Germany or Man United

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 23 Mar - 18:20

yeah the guy looks a absolute shell of the player he was, his legs have totally gone which as a cm is very concerning

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 23 Mar - 18:34

I was a bit annoyed. Wanted LVG to play a Fellaini Schwein midfield against us.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 23 Mar - 18:50

carrick and schneiderlin would be my choice although still think herrera can offer something from a deeper position. bastian is probably fourth choice only behind felliani Shocked

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 23 Mar - 19:22

Herrera is a very good player, he just doesn't fit in with LVG's style, he wants to play a more expansive game, you don't see the best of him when he constrained to rigidity.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by daraghj82 Thu 24 Mar - 9:26

Fernando wrote:Bastian Schweinstiger partially tears medial collateral ligament on Internation duty could miss the Euro's
very true, what a shame to see a really good player who's career appears to be fading away

daraghj82

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Thu 24 Mar - 12:43

Johann Cruyff has died of Cancer

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 29 Mar - 18:44

Latest is that Benteke is looking very, very likely to sign for us.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 29 Mar - 19:00

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Latest is that Benteke is looking very, very likely to sign for us.

he's a upgrade on carrol, play to his strengths he's a hand full and scoring goals for this villa side is some achievement. depends how much this poor stint at liverpool has taken out of him, we all know confidence is a big issue with strikers

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next