Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren on Thu 25 Feb 2016, 11:42 am

First topic message reminder :

Super

For starters I live in a one bedroom flat. But I think you know that it should not take the people of a nation putting refugees up in their house before the government is required to do anything about it.

For example the government could easily rent 50 premier inns and put the refugees there until they can be given homes.

"Of course it matters. They have a far greater responsibility than the UK does"

So you are saying that because those countries closer to Syria have neglected their responsibilities the UK has the right to do nothing? You are saying that one country doing nothing is sufficient for another country to justify doing nothing?

bob

WTF was that?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts on Sun 13 Mar 2016, 11:04 am

The best thing for Villa (and Newcastle) is for them to be relegated. Personally, I'm bored rigid of all this "too big to go down" rubbish. Both are pants and getting worse. The only thing that'll wake them up to the reality is actually getting relegated. Maybe then, something worthwhile will happen at both clubs.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren on Sun 13 Mar 2016, 2:54 pm

RIP Arsene Wenger. rose ?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Sun 13 Mar 2016, 8:42 pm

Probably still more miles in him than LVG. End of a 2 1/2 year FA cup run? Not that shabby. Arsenal almost certainly out of Champions League this week and the FA cup loss will hurt but Chelsea also out of CL and FA cup in a week. ManU already out of CL and almost certainly Europa league, plus hanging by a thread in FA Cup. Totteringham and Citeh already out of FA Cup and Citeh spunked their PL chances yesterday. Liverpool still finghting in Europa league but otherwise another poor season and a manager who looks straight out of Fraggle Rock.

All this season has shown is that Ranieri is in line for sainthood, the next pope, Honourary knighthoods and probably Nobel peace prizes and Oscars

Of course as a gooner I'm disappointed today - but maybe it will now give them focus on the last 9-10 games of the PL and make sure the Arsenal traditional top 4 finish is secured (and still celebrate St. Totteringham's day)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Sun 13 Mar 2016, 10:56 pm

Davie I would trade your CL league position for our West Ham replay.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 6:38 am

"our" Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 9:36 am

super_realist wrote:Always laugh when I see sad fans crying their eyes out after relegation. It's just a bloody game. No one has died.

I agree with you on that one. Some people need to get a life. What's worse is Irish people getting upset if "their team" from England loses. Never understood it. Bizarre.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 10:31 am

We're only allowed to support teams from our own country now? I'd best tell my son - he's a life long Real Madrid supporter.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 10:43 am

Bob_the_Job wrote:We're only allowed to support teams from our own country now?  I'd best tell my son - he's a life long Real Madrid supporter.

You can do whatever you want. Just don't understand why Irish people care so much about a team in England or elsewhere to the point that their lives practically revolve around that team and their mood is inextricably linked to the teams form. It makes no sense to me.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 11:00 am

It is tragic stuff. In Glasgow you can correlate domestic violence to Old Firm results.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 11:06 am

super_realist wrote:It is tragic stuff. In Glasgow you can correlate domestic violence to Old Firm results.

Not sure how that would be measured and it sounds made up but anyone who gets violent because of a game needs their head checked.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 11:10 am

Domestic violence increases dramatically around Old Firm derby's. Hospitals for admissions and police callouts for domestic disturbances.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10324172/Domestic-violence-almost-doubles-during-Old-Firm-matches.html

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 11:42 am

GunsGerms wrote:
Bob_the_Job wrote:We're only allowed to support teams from our own country now?  I'd best tell my son - he's a life long Real Madrid supporter.

You can do whatever you want. Just don't understand why Irish people care so much about a team in England or elsewhere to the point that their lives practically revolve around that team and their mood is inextricably linked to the teams form. It makes no sense to me.

Big stretch from "get upset" to "their lives practically revolve around that team and their mood is inextricably linked to the teams form"

Personally I don't get how anyone can get very affected by the performance of a team they support, but you linked it to nationality which just adds another level of hive mind behaviour.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 11:53 am

Any Spanish in your family bob? You can get seats pretty cheaply, I remember once I only paid €15 for a league match, although that was a while ago. But when you add in flights that must become an expensive day out.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 12:06 pm

Super

Some people invest a huge amount of time into supporting a team by going to matches most weekends and interacting with others who also spend huge amounts of leisure time supporting a team. No matter what the subject of that amount of time is you are going to end up caring about it. It is hardly a phenomenon unique to supporting a football team.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 12:18 pm

I do find the concept of premier league "passion" rather amusing. People crying over a poor performance which affects the Q4 results of a highly leveraged privately owned business, or listed PLC. You don't see people crying when Sainsbury's releases a negative trading update, or screaming for the Ops Director to be sacked. Many people go to Sainsbury's every week, why don't they have the same passion for groceries?

I'm longing for the day when one of these billionaires playing real life fantasy football sticks his fingers up at the fans and tells them its his team and they can all get lost.

Don't get me wrong, I've sung and cheered and shouted myself hoarse from the stands many times, I'm just able to go home, put it in perspective and carry on with my life afterwards.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 12:24 pm

Re. nationality. The only thing English about most EPL teams is the location of their stadium. If you're French and live in France there's nothing wrong being a gooner is there?
Super also loves Scandis and Scandinavia but is Scottish.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 12:26 pm

raycastleunited wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I've sung and cheered and shouted myself hoarse from the stands many times, I'm just able to go home, put it in perspective and carry on with my life afterwards.
That comes automatically from being a QPR fan I guess.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 12:43 pm

I cried when Pearce and Waddle missed penalties at Italia 90, I was 10 years old. I love football, and do say we when I mean Wycombe. But maybe its being a fan of a small team, you take the rough with the occasional smooth. My father in law, takes everything personally about Stoke City, When newspapers and Journos were slating their style of play, he would get wound up, though some of their fans take it to a whole new level, its pretty funny. They hate England, because Shawcross doesnt get picked!

I do think you can support anyone you want no matter where you are, but it is the childhood links and connections which stay with you.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 12:44 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

Some people invest a huge amount of time into supporting a team by going to matches most weekends and interacting with others who also spend huge amounts of leisure time supporting a team.  No matter what the subject of that amount of time is you are going to end up caring about it.   It is hardly a phenomenon unique to supporting a football team.

OF course it isn't new Mac, but people are involved in other sports (and actually take part in them, unlike supporters who watch others play) yet don't have the same infantile reactions to a bad result.

For example, I put more time and effort into the likes of running and golf than the average football fan does to their team, but I won't be crying my eyes out, smashing seats up and beating people up if I don't make buffer in the saturday medal.

The point is that those types of football fans don't have a sense of perspective, and for many of them, all they've got in their lives to care about is a bloody football team. How tragic is that?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 12:57 pm

The 17470th post on a golf internet forum. The definition of irony?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 12:59 pm

raycastleunited wrote:

Any Spanish in your family bob? You can get seats pretty cheaply, I remember once I only paid €15 for a league match, although that was a while ago. But when you add in flights that must become an expensive day out.

Nope - no Spanish that I'm aware of, but yeah, we've been to a couple of games when we were in the country and it wasn't expensive. Also been to the San Siro and the ticket prices there were low too from memory (usually though be in the away section).
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:18 pm

Super

Your running and golf activities are pretty much solitary, no one else cares about them. When you support a team you become part of a wider collective of people who care about the same thing as you. Being a social species I think this adds to the sense of attachment and levels of emotion you have about the team and community it provides.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:21 pm

I support Villa as i have english family from Birmingham, who are/ were all Villa fans.

I used to live up there, when i was a young,so was always going to support them.

Got no problem with other Irish folk, welsh etc supporting english teams, they are not always premiership teams either.
You can bet there are some french/spanish etc living in London that support the likes of Arsenal, as well as their club back home, no big deal.

Some people let things like this bother them to much.

After all its only a game Whistle

Strange.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:31 pm

Your running and golf activities are pretty much solitary, no one else cares about them. When you support a team you become part of a wider collective of people who care about the same thing as you.  Being a social species I think this adds to the sense of attachment and levels of emotion you have about the team and community it provides.

Good post mac

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:31 pm

westisbest wrote:I support Villa as i have english family from Birmingham, who are/ were all Villa fans.

I used to live up there, when i was a young,so was always going to support them.

Got no problem with other Irish folk, welsh etc supporting english teams, they are not always premiership teams either.
You can bet there are some french/spanish etc living in London that support the likes of Arsenal, as well as their club back home, no big deal.

Strange.

I have family in Birmingham and they are rabid Villa fans too. I couldn't give a toss about Villa though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:38 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
westisbest wrote:I support Villa as i have english family from Birmingham, who are/ were all Villa fans.

Strange.

I have family in Birmingham and they are rabid Villa fans too. I couldn't give a toss about Villa though.

Good for you Guns.

They feel the pain to then Very Happy

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:55 pm

Supporting Villa is the definition of "pain" I would think.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:03 pm

Your running and golf activities are pretty much solitary, no one else cares about them. When you support a team you become part of a wider collective of people who care about the same thing as you.  Being a social species I think this adds to the sense of attachment and levels of emotion you have about the team and community it provides.

Hardly Mac, you for example, are even more solitary in your Man U support than I am running or playing golf.
You are an armchair supporter. You are no more part of a collective than someone playing solitaire.

I've been to plenty matches, supported a team, just as many others have, I don't see Cricket, Rugby, Tennis, Athletics fans crying at the loss of their favourite team or players.
Many football fans just can't treat it as the game it is. Football doesn't get special dispensation, and being part of a crowd doesn't excuse you from behaving like a grown up. If you're an adult, and you are upset about the loss/relegation of a team, you need to take a good hard look at yourself. It's a bloody game, and not only that, it's a game you can do nothing about because you aren't even taking part, you're only bloody watching it, which makes it even more sad, because you've put in no preparation at all, no investment in a performance, and stand to lose (or gain) nothing whatever the result.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 3:27 pm

Do you often see Andy Murray fans banter about the tennis all week over a few pints, then at the weekend get on a bus with other Murray fans and go to a stadium full of 1000's of other Murray fans?

Does being a Murray fan form part of your upbringing and help define in a not insignificant manner the culture of your community?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 3:34 pm

super_realist wrote:

Hardly Mac, you for example, are even more solitary in your Man U support than I am running or playing golf.
You are an armchair supporter. You are no more part of a collective than someone playing solitaire.

I've been to plenty matches, supported a team, just as many others have, I don't see Cricket, Rugby, Tennis, Athletics fans crying at the loss of their favourite team or players.
Many football fans just can't treat it as the game it is. Football doesn't get special dispensation, and being part of a crowd doesn't excuse you from behaving like a grown up. If you're an adult, and you are upset about the loss/relegation of a team, you need to take a good hard look at yourself. It's a bloody game, and not only that, it's a game you can do nothing about because you aren't even taking part, you're only bloody watching it, which makes it even more sad, because you've put in no preparation at all, no investment in a performance, and stand to lose (or gain) nothing whatever the result.

Have to say I completely agree. A guy in Wales once cut his balls off because Wales won a rugby match against England he was so happy. He was mad though.

http://news.sky.com/story/327085/welsh-rugby-fan-hacks-off-testicles

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 3:37 pm

McLaren wrote:Do you often see Andy Murray fans banter about the tennis all week over a few pints, then at the weekend get on a bus with other Murray fans and go to a stadium full of 1000's of other Murray fans?

Does being a Murray fan form part of your upbringing and help define in a not insignificant manner the culture of your community?

No, because people who watch tennis have their lives in perspective and aren't so sad that tennis rules their lives.

Follow football if you like, but the point at which you cry about it or turn to violence is when it becomes an hysterically stupid level of devotion.

Are you part of the Bus Pass Man U Fanclub, or do just watch from your armchair and hooky streamed video?

Last edited by super_realist on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 3:38 pm

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:Do you often see Andy Murray fans banter about the tennis all week over a few pints, then at the weekend get on a bus with other Murray fans and go to a stadium full of 1000's of other Murray fans?

No, because people who watch tennis have their lives in perspective and aren't so sad that 22 oafs kicking a ball around a pitch is something which rules their entire lives.

Follow football if you like, but the point at which you cry about it or turn to violence is hysterically stupid.

Or sit in the stadium in winter with no shirt on. WTF is that all about?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 3:40 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
super_realist wrote:

No, because people who watch tennis have their lives in perspective and aren't so sad that 22 oafs kicking a ball around a pitch is something which rules their entire lives.

Follow football if you like, but the point at which you cry about it or turn to violence is hysterically stupid.

Or wear a football shirt as an adult. FKW

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 3:42 pm

Or punch a horse in the face.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 3:54 pm

Super

I rarely go to a match. But I am not the sort of fan who is as immersed as the people who have a season ticket and whose social network is intimately intertwined with following their team.

Further in no way am I condoning violence but I am pointing out how some people become so attached to the fortunes of a team.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 4:00 pm

Mac, my point is that immersing yourself in something like football (especially as you aren't even taking part) to the point to which it effects your emotional well being (and those around you) is when it has been taken too far.

What does it say if you live your life vicariously through the ups and downs of a football team?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 4:07 pm

Super

Whether you think people should or shouldn't get the immersed in football is besides the point.  The fact is that some peoples social construct is that entangled with support for a football team.

I thought we could move onto wondering why that is the case instead of just saying "how stupid are they, they shouldn't do that".

What does it say if you live your life vicariously through the ups and downs of a football team?

I am not sure what it says.  But it probably has something to do with your community, socio economic status, upbringing etc.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 4:14 pm

Mac, I've never said they can't, i've said they are sad, tragic people for bursting into tears at the result of a match (here's a clue, it's a GAME), or complete morons for resorting to violence to cope with their despair because some other team was better than theirs.
That shows rampant immaturity to me, nothing to do with community, as there are tons of areas at which people gain a sense of community, yet don't cry as a result of it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 5:10 pm

GunsGerms wrote:... A guy in Wales once cut his balls off because Wales won a rugby match against England he was so happy.

WT actual F...

GunsGerms wrote:...  He was mad though.

Ah - brilliant piece of understatement
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 6:42 pm

super_realist wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Or wear a football shirt as an adult. FKW

Don't see the problem with that.
Just a piece of clothing at the end of the day, just cos it's of said person's team.

Wow, does that really bother you.

You need to have a look at your life maybe if something like that bothers you.

Just out of interest, what's your take on a rugby fan wearing their teams jersey as an adult?

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 7:23 pm

Do people wear dicky bows and a waistcoat to go to the Snooker?

Do people wear a drivers suit to go to the F1?

Do people wear Tennis whites to go to Wimbledon?

Do people wear singlets and shorts to go to Track and Field?

Do people wear speedo's to go and watch swimming?

Do people wear a helmet, ski goggles and one piece to watch the skiing?

Do people wear shorts and boxing gloves to go and watch the boxing?

No to all, so why would you for Football, Rugby and Golf? these are the only sports (in this country) where people dress up like their "heroes" to go and watch a game that they aren't even in.
Rugby fans are just as sad wearing a rugby shirt, although to give rugby fans their due, by and large they behave like adults, can share a stand and don't cry their eyes our or beat their spouses up when they get beat.
We haven't got in to what hideous articles of clothing they are and from what ghastly material they are made. I can almost, almost excuse it at the stadium for football and rugby if you absolutely must be part of a crowd or have such a man crush on your "favourite player" you have to wear his shirt, but I can see no reason why anyone would want to wear it in a normal social event like going to the shops/cinema/restaurant when they are adults.

It doesn't bother me, I just think they look like total deadbeats.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 8:05 pm

If it doesn't bother you why go on about it. Bring it up.

It's just an item of clothing, no big deal.

They are not dressing up like their heroes, they are simply wearing the team they supports shirt.
Not a difficult concept to get.

Do football fans beat up their spouses when their team gets beat?

My wife would be dead if that was the case Laugh

You do write some sh1t at times.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 8:23 pm

Super

You clearly haven't been to an F1 race. There are many adults in race overalls and most of the fans have some sort of team T-shirt or coat on.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 8:28 pm

I sometimes wear rugby shirts (non team ones). I often wear golf-like clothing when not on the course (polo shirts etc). I have one England rugby shirt I will sometimes wear for World Cup or 6N finale when watching the game in the pub. Does that make me a deadbeat?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 8:33 pm

Ha davie.

England grand slam saturday?

I bought a Connacht jersey in october.

Little did i know i was becoming a deadbeat Whistle

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 6:54 am

That's what we were talking about West, the absurd way in which (some) football fans can't treat it as the game it is. Crying over a game is something we associate with children, yet, there seems to be an excuse for people to do it when they are part of a crowd.

We moved on to shirts etc, because it was questioned by Mac as to what makes people behave like that, and I suggested that the wearing of horrid nylon shirts with the name of their "hero" on the back was another example of the childish nature of (some) football fans.

There's an interesting book called "The Madness of Crowds" written a very long time ago, and looks into the reasons people behave differently in crowds but wouldn't if they were on their own. I suspect that these football fans fall into that category.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 8:25 am

Davie wrote:I sometimes wear rugby shirts (non team ones). I often wear golf-like clothing when not on the course (polo shirts etc). I have one England rugby shirt I will sometimes wear for World Cup or 6N finale when watching the game in the pub. Does that make me a deadbeat?

Yes it does. If you wore an Ireland one it would be ok though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 9:22 am

GunsGerms wrote:
Davie wrote:I sometimes wear rugby shirts (non team ones). I often wear golf-like clothing when not on the course (polo shirts etc). I have one England rugby shirt I will sometimes wear for World Cup or 6N finale when watching the game in the pub. Does that make me a deadbeat?

Yes it does. If you wore an Ireland one it would be ok though.

To be sure?

Run

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 9:29 am

No Im just joking, Im an a real admirer of England rugby. Love England v Ireland games and the England fans are always great visitors.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 10:47 am

What if the football shirt looks nice, is that ok?

I've got a lovely Barca shirt from their centenary in 1999. Most of the Brazil and Holland kits look good, especially the retro ones from the 70s. Holland 88, Brazil 98.

I wear football shirts all the time to play football or go for a run... they are light weight and don't get heavy with sweat.

Think it's a very narrow minded view to slag off people wearing "sports" gear.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum